PDA

View Full Version : What is your monthly upkeep cost for your hair?

catabear
December 26th, 2016, 02:03 AM
Lately I've been having a terrible time trying to find a cheap conditioner that penetrates and moisturizes my curly hair. I found a mask that I use as my conditioner, but one $10 8 oz jar lasts me only 2 washings (I wash twice a week). That means I'm spending almost $40 a month just on conditioner! Am I using too much of the mask? My other hair care products are fairly cheap (coconut oil, olive oil blend, $20 HUGE bottle of Redken All Soft shampoo that lasts almost a year).

I'm going to be moving back home with my parents in the fall to go to college full-time, and I won't be able to afford this upkeep cost with a part time job. I need something for my long, curly TANGLE-PRONE hair.

How much do you guys generally spend a month on hair? Am I going overboard, or is this just the cost of having long hair?

Hypnotica
December 26th, 2016, 02:17 AM
I spend less then $3 give or take - I seldom buy new stuff to try out. When you are looking for a new product out of need, there will be more money spent. If you would share the name of this very expensive mask, the people on the board would be happy to help you find alternatives that are less expensive.

catabear
December 26th, 2016, 02:22 AM
It's Hair Chemist Macadamia Oil Repair Masque from Sally's Beauty. I don't like all the ingredients in it, honestly, but it makes my hair manageable. I recently purchased a Shea Moisture leave-in mask and shampoo, just waiting to get the package in the mail! It's cheaper ($10 for 15 oz) and has much less chemicals in it. The reviews are decent.

I'm just at a loss on how to stop my hair from getting tangled and matted all the time!

Hypnotica
December 26th, 2016, 02:32 AM
It's Hair Chemist Macadamia Oil Repair Masque from Sally's Beauty. I don't like all the ingredients in it, honestly, but it makes my hair manageable. I recently purchased a Shea Moisture leave-in mask and shampoo, just waiting to get the package in the mail! It's cheaper ($10 for 15 oz) and has much less chemicals in it. The reviews are decent.

I'm just at a loss on how to stop my hair from getting tangled and matted all the time!

Huh. Yeah, that seems a bit overpriced with what you get. I may be beating a dead horse here, but have you tried to clairfy your hair?

catabear
December 26th, 2016, 02:41 AM
I have actually never done that before! I'm pretty new to the long hair care growing, honestly. :P Yes, my hair is long, but I've never really looked into all the treatments! I just let it grow and conditioned it. I never thought about clarifying. Guess I should go buy some baking soda? How often do people generally clarify their hair? Thank you for your help!

Hypnotica
December 26th, 2016, 03:28 AM
I have actually never done that before! I'm pretty new to the long hair care growing, honestly. :P Yes, my hair is long, but I've never really looked into all the treatments! I just let it grow and conditioned it. I never thought about clarifying. Guess I should go buy some baking soda? How often do people generally clarify their hair? Thank you for your help!

Start with using just straight, basic "full strenght" shampoo twice on all you hair.. Baking soda can be too harsh. I have sometimes "amped up" the shampoo with two drops of had wash liquid.

I clarify every other month when my hair feels dry, tangly or coated. Some people's hair is more buildup prone, I have that kind of hair. As the masque you are currenty using is heavy both in oils and cones, it could be that it is a part of the issue you have.

My gut reaction is that you need to clarify, then use something less heavy as a conditioner. Then air dry it and investigate how you hair feels and behaves.

lapushka
December 26th, 2016, 04:45 AM
Lately I've been having a terrible time trying to find a cheap conditioner that penetrates and moisturizes my curly hair. I found a mask that I use as my conditioner, but one $10 8 oz jar lasts me only 2 washings (I wash twice a week). That means I'm spending almost $40 a month just on conditioner! Am I using too much of the mask? My other hair care products are fairly cheap (coconut oil, olive oil blend, $20 HUGE bottle of Redken All Soft shampoo that lasts almost a year).

I'm going to be moving back home with my parents in the fall to go to college full-time, and I won't be able to afford this upkeep cost with a part time job. I need something for my long, curly TANGLE-PRONE hair.

How much do you guys generally spend a month on hair? Am I going overboard, or is this just the cost of having long hair?

I recommend it almost to everyone because it's my HG conditioner/detangler: the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. They have a lot of good conditioners in their line, though, and heavy ones. But search out conditioners that are for dry/damaged hair, those are the most moisturizing and can get rid of tangles "just like that".

As I weekly wash, I estimate the cost to be about €10-€15 a month, and that's a lot. I tend to use cheap shampoos and cheap conditioners (all drugstore). I love my Pantene Aqua Light (or the volumizing shampoo) to wash, and since I have some things to use up, a lot of older shampoos are now thrown into my mix.

Meh; I re-calculated. If I spend €1-2 a week, it's a lot, so more like €4-8ish a month.

Nique1202
December 26th, 2016, 05:04 AM
If you have trouble figuring out what to use to clarify, there's a whole thread over on the Conventional Products forum (click here for shortcut (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=140936)). That's definitely a solid first step when you have troublesome hair. Work it gently into your whole length to make sure you strip everything out of it.

As for what products to use, it may take some more experimentation. What have you tried? What did you like or not like about each product?

Further questions, about your methods. How do you work the conditioner in: just slap it on and hope, do you finger comb or detangle while the conditioner is in your hair to work it through, or something else? Do you condition your hair just once, or twice? How long do you let conditioner sit on your hair before rinsing? These factors will all affect how well a given product works for you.

I am a firm believer that there is a standard product, or a combination of those products, from fairly cheap brands that will work for nearly everybody because there's so much variation now compared to years ago, and the application method is almost as important as the product itself. My regular shampoo (Herbal Essences long-term relationship) goes on sale often for $5 for 700 ml/24 oz and that lasts me about 6-7 months. My clarifying shampoo (Tresemme deep cleanse) which I use once a month, cost $3 for a quite large bottle at the dollar store that will last me for several years. I use a blend of three conditioners that, if I buy the big bottles and wait for sales and stock up, cost me about $15 for about a year's worth (though I'm planning to grow longer so I'll need more as time goes on and it won't last so long). So in total right now I spend about $25 every year on hair products, and maybe $40 if I paid full price all the time.

likelikepenny
December 26th, 2016, 05:34 AM
I would recommend tresseme perfectly undone conditioner. Its silicone and paraben free and its cg approved. I love it for my kinky 4c hair.

Mimha
December 26th, 2016, 06:17 AM
I personally use very few products and in very small amounts : little shampoo, no conditioner, some vinegar, some drops of olive oil, coconut or similar. The most expensive things are probably EO (mainly lavender, rosmarinus and tea tree). I would say maybe $ 5.-/month on products. Now if I take into account all the stuff I buy for the pleasure of having long hair, it means about 1 to 5 hairtoys a year, one new comb or brush per year, hairties, pins, etc. this can easily make an average of $ 20.-/month "just for the fun", I suppose. So that makes 25.-/month = about 300.-/year, which sounds quite realistical. (I prefer not to know !!) I just consider that as I never go the hairdresser I can spoil myself from time to time ! ;)

Just imagine how much spends a girl who goes to the hairdresser 4 times a year ? 100.- x 4 = 400.- (+ tips and else) = let's say more or less 500.- ?? And what about the peolple who are getting weaves or extensions 4 times a year for 400.- to 1'000.- ? ... :bigeyes::thud: ... :rip:

Lol, I think I don't spoil myself so much, actually ! :p

... Just seen a nice Fench twist hair comb on Etsy lately... :whistle:

Carolyn
December 26th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Go to Meijers or Wal Mart and get a $1 bottle of Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo. It's cheap and it works well. Baking soda washes have been a disaster for many here. It's very harsh and damaging. I wouldn't mess with it. It almost trashed my hair years ago. The Suave should do the trick without destroying your hair. Once you've clarified, you need to put the moisture back into your hair. The Garnier Whole Blends line is nice and it's not real expensive. That's just one suggestion. There are other nice moisturizing conditioners out there too.

catabear
December 26th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Thank you everyone for your advice! So to clarify (hard har), when I do clarify, I use the clarifying shampoo, then I could rinse with ACV, and then do I use a conditioner after I clarify?

catabear
December 26th, 2016, 09:21 AM
If you have trouble figuring out what to use to clarify, there's a whole thread over on the Conventional Products forum (click here for shortcut (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=140936)). That's definitely a solid first step when you have troublesome hair. Work it gently into your whole length to make sure you strip everything out of it.

As for what products to use, it may take some more experimentation. What have you tried? What did you like or not like about each product?

Further questions, about your methods. How do you work the conditioner in: just slap it on and hope, do you finger comb or detangle while the conditioner is in your hair to work it through, or something else? Do you condition your hair just once, or twice? How long do you let conditioner sit on your hair before rinsing? These factors will all affect how well a given product works for you.

I am a firm believer that there is a standard product, or a combination of those products, from fairly cheap brands that will work for nearly everybody because there's so much variation now compared to years ago, and the application method is almost as important as the product itself. My regular shampoo (Herbal Essences long-term relationship) goes on sale often for $5 for 700 ml/24 oz and that lasts me about 6-7 months. My clarifying shampoo (Tresemme deep cleanse) which I use once a month, cost $3 for a quite large bottle at the dollar store that will last me for several years. I use a blend of three conditioners that, if I buy the big bottles and wait for sales and stock up, cost me about $15 for about a year's worth (though I'm planning to grow longer so I'll need more as time goes on and it won't last so long). So in total right now I spend about $25 every year on hair products, and maybe $40 if I paid full price all the time.

When I condition I kind of just slather it on everywhere, including my scalp. I then put my hair in a bun while I wash and shave in the shower so it soaks in for a good 7-10 mins. I used to comb my hair with it in, but I got so sick of fighting with the tangles.

JadeTigress
December 26th, 2016, 12:43 PM
I'll splurge on fun stuff, but as far as the necessities go, I barely spend any money. I have a cheap bottle of clarifying shampoo that I got for a couple dollars that will last a very long time. Otherwise I use shampoo bars. I just ordered some new ones from CV. The sample sizes are plenty big for me and last for a few months, and they're only about $3 each. I bought 3 different ones with my last order, so I spent about $10 and I probably won't need more until summer at the earliest. My hair is very, very tangly as well, but I don't use conditioner. An ACV rinse is all I need (I think the bottle was around $5 and it'll last for a long time). My hair barely tangles at all when I use it, and it doesn't get limp and weighed down like it does with conditioner. If I feel like I need more, I'll throw on some Wild Growth hair oil and light oil moisturizer while my hair is still wet. I love that stuff. $16 to get both, but I bought it probably 4 or 5 years ago and I haven't even made a dent in it yet since I only use a few drops at a time. Definitely got my money's worth with that one.

So yeah. For under $20, I've got enough hair stuff to last me for atleast 6 months.

Strands
December 26th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Lately my expense has been $0. I am dead broke because we are paying off my student loans, but I have some hair stuff I am using up, so free for now LOL

lithostoic
December 26th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Zero? I don't wash my hair but every 4-7 days. Shampoo and conditioner lasts forever unless it disagrees with my scalp/hair.

truepeacenik
December 26th, 2016, 09:17 PM
When I had a masque, it was an Alba Botanica Hawaiian hair masque.
I did use it more than suggested, and it did spike my hair care costs.

Typically, I use a diluted shampoo and one of three conditioners: 365 Everyday conditioner (Whole Foods, no cones), Kirkland moisture (Costco, coney) or Pharmaca lemongrass (Pharmaca, no cone).
I pre poo oil on occasion, and I'm big on oiling the "crunchy ends zone" after shampooing.

Cost? Shampoo is a gallon I bought almost two years ago (mixed 1:4 shampoo to water) for $30-ish, the 32 oz 365 Conditioner is $7 on sale, $9 when not. The Pharmaca is smaller and around $7. I actually got that as a bonus as a frequent buyer in the store. If not, I wouldn't have that third conditioner.)
Coconut oil is 90 percent for hair, so I budget it there, at $9 a jar. Lasts a long time, just over a year.

Eta:
The math!
I use two conditioner bottles a year. (Sure my partner is using some, but it's my expense) Full price, $18/yr.
Shampoo was $30-ish, and I've been using it for two years, so far. I likely have another year, so let's go with $18/yr.
Coconut oil and other incidental oils, $12.
$48/yr is $4/mo.

embee
December 26th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Since I went WO or NW/SO I seem to have no product costs. Every year or so I buy a new Denman brush for $10 and just this Christmas I splurged on two pairs of hairsticks. Considering that I'm not sure when last bought a hair toy - several years ago? more than several? - I'm thinking maybe $1 a month, probably less.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 26th, 2016, 11:52 PM
10$ possibly? I don't really know. Its been a month or two since I have bought anything.

Rosetta
December 27th, 2016, 02:31 AM
I personally use very few products and in very small amounts : little shampoo, no conditioner, some vinegar, some drops of olive oil, coconut or similar. The most expensive things are probably EO (mainly lavender, rosmarinus and tea tree). I would say maybe $ 5.-/month on products. Now if I take into account all the stuff I buy for the pleasure of having long hair, it means about 1 to 5 hairtoys a year, one new comb or brush per year, hairties, pins, etc. this can easily make an average of $ 20.-/month "just for the fun", I suppose. So that makes 25.-/month = about 300.-/year, which sounds quite realistical. (I prefer not to know !!) I just consider that as I never go the hairdresser I can spoil myself from time to time ! ;)

Just imagine how much spends a girl who goes to the hairdresser 4 times a year ? 100.- x 4 = 400.- (+ tips and else) = let's say more or less 500.- ?? And what about the peolple who are getting weaves or extensions 4 times a year for 400.- to 1'000.- ? ... :bigeyes::thud: ... :rip:
Yeah, tell me about it! ;)

Myself I'm more into products (especially conditioners) than hairtoys (the beak clips I use to put my hair up are very inexpensive and last ages), but the total cost would probably vary around 0-10 euros per month, depending if and what I buy that month. (For example, virgin coconut oil is a bit on the expensive side.) I never go to the hairdresser, either. ;)

(edit - oops, forgot the Redken All Soft conditioner I bought earlier this month cost 14.99 eur :o, but that was a very rare indulgence ;))

Hypnotica
December 27th, 2016, 03:41 AM
Thank you everyone for your advice! So to clarify (hard har), when I do clarify, I use the clarifying shampoo, then I could rinse with ACV, and then do I use a conditioner after I clarify?

Yes, in that order (I don't use ACV so I just clarify and then use conditioner).

Clarifying is basically just cleaning your whole hair and not just the scalp as you usually do.

catabear
December 27th, 2016, 07:39 AM
Yeah, tell me about it! ;)

Myself I'm more into products (especially conditioners) than hairtoys (the beak clips I use to put my hair up are very inexpensive and last ages), but the total cost would probably vary around 0-10 euros per month, depending if and what I buy that month. (For example, virgin coconut oil is a bit on the expensive side.) I never go to the hairdresser, either. ;)

(edit - oops, forgot the Redken All Soft conditioner I bought earlier this month cost 14.99 eur :o, but that was a very rare indulgence ;))

I loooove Redken All Soft! Worth it, to me! I buy a huge bottle that lasts me a year for $20!

Upside Down
December 28th, 2016, 03:19 AM
When I condition I kind of just slather it on everywhere, including my scalp. I then put my hair in a bun while I wash and shave in the shower so it soaks in for a good 7-10 mins. I used to comb my hair with it in, but I got so sick of fighting with the tangles.

Wait. There is really no need to use conditioner on your scalp, if you are using shampoo to wash your scalp. And there is also no need to shampoo your lenght unless for clarifying.

As for conditioner I think you will have to figure it out for yourself. I am a big fan of herbal essences products.
I tend to use masks instead of conditioners and soak my hair for up to an hour in them. I don't do it often so they last me a long long while.

Hypnotica
January 2nd, 2017, 03:24 AM
How did it go?

lapushka
January 2nd, 2017, 07:05 AM
Wait. There is really no need to use conditioner on your scalp, if you are using shampoo to wash your scalp. And there is also no need to shampoo your lenght unless for clarifying.

As for conditioner I think you will have to figure it out for yourself. I am a big fan of herbal essences products.
I tend to use masks instead of conditioners and soak my hair for up to an hour in them. I don't do it often so they last me a long long while.

I agree with this, unless you have 3c/4abc curls. Then it's often necessary to include the scalp, as curl starts high up at the root, and you do want to condition there, but this is totally unnecessary (individual experiences may vary) with looser patterns.

Flipgirl24
January 2nd, 2017, 07:19 AM
I probably spend $16 a month on dry shampoo. Which really sucks because one, it is an aerosol spray and I hate throwing out cans, and two, there are no other recipes that work well enough for the colour of my hair (unless I want to look like a ghost). I get shampoo and conditioner from Winners and it is usually Joico Colour Therapy. I try to get the liter bottles which, in Canada, are $19.99 and they last for ages. The shampoo probably lasts a year and the conditioner 6 months. So if I work it out, it costs $1.66 a month for shampoo and $3.33 a month for conditioner. I wash my hair 2-3 times a week and maybe use a nickel size amount of shampoo and a glob of conditioner. If Winners has better products on the shelf I will go for those but they usually have Joico. It isn't the absolute greatest stuff but it does a decent job and it is still better than the drugstore brands I've tried. (Not judging those who use them, they just don't work for me and I can't handle the scents).

truepeacenik
January 2nd, 2017, 09:21 AM
Yes, in that order (I don't use ACV so I just clarify and then use conditioner).

Clarifying is basically just cleaning your whole hair and not just the scalp as you usually do.

With me, I make sure the ends, and that means about six to seven inches on my hair, get shampooed once every few months. I do have a couple products with cones. They are helpful in certain situations, and get used randomly. Once they build up, or just get tacky-sticky, they need cleaning.

Platzhalter
January 2nd, 2017, 10:24 PM
Making a very rough guess by the amount of shampoo/conditioner/else that gets used during a month, it's typically no more than 5 Euro... 1 Euro may even be enought depending on wash frequency, amounts of oiling and deep treatments.

Soj
January 3rd, 2017, 12:27 AM
Try this and see if it helps. It helped me.

First thing I use cream rinse/conditioner and DETANGLE in the shower. Starting from the ends and working my way up.

Then I rinse lightly - I don't worry about getting it ALL out, just most.

Then shampoo, rinse well, and final conditioning.

It makes everything easier if I detangle WITH CONDITIONER first. Using, of course, an afro pick and my fingers. No brushes or other types of combs.

Dark40
January 6th, 2017, 08:33 PM
I mostly spend $50 a local beauty supply store monthly on deep conditioners and silicone products. At a local Walmart store I spend no more than $10 on a shampoo and conditioner.

jazzhands
January 7th, 2017, 01:24 AM
I use Lush's Honey I Washed My Hair which lasts for about 4mos give or take. It's €13 (!) where I live right now but I can also get it back home for around €8. The wonders of VAT. I can also stretch it up to 6mos if I'm being super frugal.
I've an old bottle of Syoss conditioner that's good for an equal amount of time, after that I'll be switching to Lush's conditioner bar since I'm planning on reducing my plastic waste. That one went for ~€5 iirc.
Apart from that I use some old styling serums and dry shampoos that I'll be replacing with homemade stuff when I'm done at no additional cost.

Monthly it adds up to less than €3.

Aunty Miki
January 7th, 2017, 02:16 AM
I am using the same Salon shampoo and conditioner I bought last January for $40. I think it's called Perfections. I wash and condition once a week. I am starting to use a cheap Dove argon oil detangling spray everyday, now, too. So, I'm not spending much more than $4/month.

hanne jensen
January 9th, 2017, 10:13 AM
I'm a real cheapskate. I use around 100 USD a year. The shampoo and conditioner that my hair loves are cheap supermarket stuff.

ipickee
January 9th, 2017, 12:56 PM
I probably spend a good $30 USD monthly. Give or take. It depends on if anything shiny catches my eye. Some days, I'm like a raccoon with a piece of tinfoil if I come across a lovable hair toy. SHINY! I must have it!!!

Vivalagina
January 9th, 2017, 02:11 PM
I WCC with drugstore brands (Garnier Fructis and Herbal Essences usually) every 2-3 days. I only use a clarifying/chelation shampoo to deal with hard water about twice a year, I like the Joico one. Averaged out I spend maybe $10/month. I spend much much much less now than I did when I first joined.

VersLaLumière
January 10th, 2017, 11:31 AM
My biggest monthly upkeep cost was maintaining my bangs. I spent 10 dollars about every 4 weeks, plus gas and parking and the hour of time and hassle to drive over there. After watching a couple of youtube videos and paying close attention to my stylist's technique, I'm now cutting them myself with a pair of good scissors. I'd tried this in the past with not so good results and always had to go get them fixed, but it's working out better now.

I don't spend that much on products, unless I'm trying some new products out then I'd spend more that month. My general upkeep cost is probably about 5 dollars a month more or less, washing about 2-3 times a week. Add in all the clips and brushes and pins and scrunchies and etc, that's another story.