PDA

View Full Version : First ficcare purchase. Advice needed.

pili
December 24th, 2016, 10:11 AM
So I am considering buying my first one, and I am very overwhelmed. Maybe some of the more experienced members can help.

Is there anywhere I could actually find them in person?

I saw that Nordstrom sells them online, would they be in stores too?)

What size should i start with?

Would a different hairtoy toy be a better option?

I have 5.25" ponytail. My hair is very coarse and does not compact down much due to curl. It is also heavily layered. I will eventually get rid of the layers. Stretched it is reaching BSL.

I'd just hate to spend that much money on something and get the wrong size. My hair tends to break clips and most hair ties.

triumphator!
December 24th, 2016, 10:14 AM
You can find them at Nordstrom's in stores - but you'll probably have to ask someone to take you to them. There will probably only be like 4 on a random display in the middle of everything with no signage - that's my experience. They are hard to find. I recommend sizing up from what is recommended by the Ficcare website, only because the hinge can eat your hair. They are pretty hardy and I doubt your hair will break one, though. The simple metal ones can be bent, however.

pili
December 24th, 2016, 10:18 AM
You can find them at Nordstrom's in stores - but you'll probably have to ask someone to take you to them. There will probably only be like 4 on a random display in the middle of everything with no signage - that's my experience. They are hard to find. I recommend sizing up from what is recommended by the Ficcare website, only because the hinge can eat your hair. They are pretty hardy and I doubt your hair will break one, though. The simple metal ones can be bent, however.
Oh, cool! Thanks for the reply, trumphator! once this holiday crazy rush is over I'll go check my local Nordstrom. I have a fakkare from Ulta, but it is definitely too small. I'm about to outgrow it.

sumidha
December 24th, 2016, 10:23 AM
I have a friend with 3b/c or m/ii hair who has one of my large Ficcare on permanent loan, I gave it to her when her hair was BSL, and recently she's cut back to a collarbone-ish layered bob and still wears it all the time. If you have a Nordstrom's near you I'd say you can't go wrong with trying the different sizes out, but it also sounds like you'd be pretty safe getting a large. :)

Cg
December 24th, 2016, 10:27 AM
I'll agree that a large size ought to work for you.

If you have several Nordstrom's close you could call first to verify that they do have Ficcare displays. Not all stores do.

LongCurlyTress
December 24th, 2016, 10:27 AM
I agree with triumphator... don't mean to be a negative nelly, but fakecares and anything w a hinge eats my hair also. :( I have tried the one with the plastic leopard plastic topper from Nordstrom Rack!! But the hinge ate my hair so I returned it. :(

lapushka
December 24th, 2016, 10:42 AM
I would say a L also! Definitely.

I never had an issue of the hinge eating my hair... not so far, anyway!

pili
December 24th, 2016, 10:42 AM
I agree with triumphator... don't mean to be a negative nelly, but fakecares and anything w a hinge eats my hair also. :( I have tried the one with the plastic leopard plastic topper from Nordstrom Rack!! But the hinge ate my hair so I returned it. :(

So Nordstrom Rack also has them? LCT, wanna go shopping with me? :) We could finally meet in person.

littlestarface
December 24th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Just a fyi there's nothing large than a large as I was always looking for a xl but I have a large and it has good hold.

pili
December 24th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. The website also said an L for my hair. I'm also going to look for a fork and some sticks (those I may just make) so I can move away from the clips I keep breaking.

LongCurlyTress
December 24th, 2016, 11:44 AM
So Nordstrom Rack also has them? LCT, wanna go shopping with me? :) We could finally meet in person.

Sure!!! That sounds like fun! PM me... please!! DH and DS are home for the next two weeks...:O but after that would love to!!

Actually, the fakkare from Ulta is the same one from N Rack.... that caught my hair in the hinge... but still...lets meet up!! :)

Chromis
December 24th, 2016, 01:24 PM
I only managed to find one at a Nordstrom Rack once, because it had a chip.

Now, my info is out of date since it has been a while, but! Every Nordstrom I have been to has had them and they are normally found in some weird little island near the silk scarves, close-ish to the handbags. There is often another section of hairtoys too, but that is all plastic carp, mostly France Luxe. Go for the good fish, not the carp! (Okay, okay, some do actually like them Luxe stuff, so it must not all be bad fish, but I like all metal better myself.)

pili
December 24th, 2016, 05:41 PM
Sure!!! That sounds like fun! PM me... please!! DH and DS are home for the next two weeks...:O but after that would love to!!

Actually, the fakkare from Ulta is the same one from N Rack.... that caught my hair in the hinge... but still...lets meet up!! :)
Will do! Be prepared because you know I'll want to see your length in person. :thud:

I only managed to find one at a Nordstrom Rack once, because it had a chip.

Now, my info is out of date since it has been a while, but! Every Nordstrom I have been to has had them and they are normally found in some weird little island near the silk scarves, close-ish to the handbags. There is often another section of hairtoys too, but that is all plastic carp, mostly France Luxe. Go for the good fish, not the carp! (Okay, okay, some do actually like them Luxe stuff, so it must not all be bad fish, but I like all metal better myself.)
Ok, I'll look at both. Metal seems like it might be more durable with my hair. I break so many clips and even spin pins that I am willing to make a monetary investment if it will last!

LongCurlyTress
December 24th, 2016, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=pili;3343462]Will do! Be prepared because you know I'll want to see your length in person. :thud:

LOL! Not sure if you have been keeping up with my posts elsewhere, but my hair length is not too spectacular now... just chopped off 5 inches due to alot of breakage and tangling at TBL= 37inches. Now I am back to barely hip length, at 32 inches...:(

Chromis
December 24th, 2016, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=pili;3343462]Will do! Be prepared because you know I'll want to see your length in person. :thud:

LOL! Not sure if you have been keeping up with my posts elsewhere, but my hair length is not too spectacular now... just chopped off 5 inches due to alot of breakage and tangling at TBL= 37inches. Now I am back to barely hip length, at 32 inches...:(

Psha, I still recall back in the day, when hip would have been amazeballs!

But mostly I just wanted to comment that Pookie reminds me of Falcor from The Neverending Story, aww!

LongCurlyTress
December 24th, 2016, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=LongCurlyTress;3343480]

But mostly I just wanted to comment that Pookie reminds me of Falcor from The Neverending Story, aww!

LOL! You are so sweet to say that! Yes, hip a few years ago would have been incredible for me.. but I was only 4 inches from classic but needed to trim due to alot of breakage during detangling, and a fight I had with gel in my hair. The gel won, unfortunately and glued my hair together. During a difficult emotional day, dealing with a very sad, depressing lifetime goal/disappointment, and alot of frizz due to a rainy day and alot of exhaustion due to the disappoinment, I brushed violently through my hair to get out the tangles and the knots and the gelled hairs... and broke alot of hairs. Then I cut in face framing layers with the shortest at chin length.. ugh.. big mistake.. so now I am trying to love up my hair again. My poor hair!! :(

We have often said Pookie looks like the flying dog in The Never-Ending Story!! Too funny! I think he thinks he is Falcor!!

pili
December 25th, 2016, 08:58 AM
Hey, I'm just starting to hit APL with all my layers. Hip sounds beautifully long to me!

He does!

LOL! You are so sweet to say that! Yes, hip a few years ago would have been incredible for me.. but I was only 4 inches from classic but needed to trim due to alot of breakage during detangling, and a fight I had with gel in my hair. The gel won, unfortunately and glued my hair together. During a difficult emotional day, dealing with a very sad, depressing lifetime goal/disappointment, and alot of frizz due to a rainy day and alot of exhaustion due to the disappoinment, I brushed violently through my hair to get out the tangles and the knots and the gelled hairs... and broke alot of hairs. Then I cut in face framing layers with the shortest at chin length.. ugh.. big mistake.. so now I am trying to love up my hair again. My poor hair!! :(

We have often said Pookie looks like the flying dog in The Never-Ending Story!! Too funny! I think he thinks he is Falcor!!
Falcor the Luck Dragon!

LongCurlyTress
December 25th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Hey, I'm just starting to hit APL with all my layers. Hip sounds beautifully long to me!

He does!

Falcor the Luck Dragon!

Yes, of course, hip length is long, but only a couple of weeks ago, I was almost at classic with almost no layering at all, so it is still a bit depressing, not to mention those dumb face framing layers that are at collarbone/chin length now. Oh well.. it will grow! :) I will just hug my lil' Pookiebear...:) His hair/fur grows so fast!! LOL!

Islandgrrl
December 26th, 2016, 01:45 AM
Yes, of course, hip length is long, but only a couple of weeks ago, I was almost at classic with almost no layering at all, so it is still a bit depressing, not to mention those dumb face framing layers that are at collarbone/chin length now. Oh well.. it will grow! :) I will just hug my lil' Pookiebear...:) His hair/fur grows so fast!! LOL!

Don't be depressed...it will grow and be in better shape. I cut 25" in August - I went from almost ankle length to hip with fantastic layers, and I'm already back to solid TBL.

OP, I agree with the advice to go with a large. Even where I am now, I need 2 larges to keep things where I want them. :)

pili
December 26th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Don't be depressed...it will grow and be in better shape. I cut 25" in August - I went from almost ankle length to hip with fantastic layers, and I'm already back to solid TBL.

OP, I agree with the advice to go with a large. Even where I am now, I need 2 larges to keep things where I want them. :)
Thanks for the response, Islandgrrl. That seems to be the concensus. I'm just hoping I can start using it right away despite my many layers. They always want to stick out.

LongCurlyTress
December 26th, 2016, 09:17 AM

Thanks... that is what I intend to do. Great to hear your hair is growing back so quickly. That is what I am hoping for!! :)

Islandgrrl
December 28th, 2016, 11:34 PM
Thanks... that is what I intend to do. Great to hear your hair is growing back so quickly. That is what I am hoping for!! :)

Good luck! If you do it, I hope you enjoy it. I found that having shorter long hair (is that even a thing?) really made me fall in love with my hair again. Especially since I quit the henna and am letting my silver hair out in public. Dang, it's really silver, too - never thought I'd have the courage to quit coloring. It's FUN!