PDA

View Full Version : Heat Styling Thread

Upside Down
December 24th, 2016, 09:13 AM
I want to start this thread in hope that we can have a positive place to exchange knowledge, tips, experiences, product reviews etc - all on heat styling.

Because we know it is damaging, but as it goes, the most common cause of death is life, so... :lol:

For those of us who choose to heat style our hair, be it often or occasionally, and whatever length you are - welcome!

I'll start. I maintain around waist, and have been here for 3+ years. I used to occasionally heat style my hair, but have 1,5 years ago started with Keratin treatments and since then I have been heat styling way more often. I enjoy it and don't intend to stop.

Recently I have discovered scalp only washes. This has stretched my keratin applications, and now I am experimenting with a routine that will look more or less like this:

Wash whole head once a month, clarify if needed, deep treatment, perhaps protein (whatever I feel hair needs) and flat ironing the whole hair.
And then once a week or once in 5 days I will wash scalp only and flat iron only the top of my hair.

As for ironing itself, what I do is this:
I air dry my hair for as long as I have time, then I section and apply heat protectant (at the moment I have Taft but I really don't like it because it is quite heavy on my hair), then I blow dry the hair that is loose to 100% and do a pass with the iron on 160 degrees Celsius.
Same goes after scalp only washing, but I will only do this on the top, last 20 to 30cm of my hair is not touched between full washes.

I would love to hear how you do it too!
Also, if you have recommendations for a good heat protectant that is not sticky or heavy, I would love to hear about it!

LongCurlyTress
December 24th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Great thread topic OP! I use my hairdryer to dry my crown area, upside down and some of the length, everyday after I wash my hair. My hair takes forever to dry, and the dryer gives the crown-scalp area some lift, straightens out the face framing layers so they lie smoothly into my bun etc. I use two fingers to pull the strands straight and then I blast that area with the dryer, but only the crown-scalp areas. I also use evoo on the ends when my hair is still damp. This seems to work for me as long as I detangle in the shower using lots off thick conditioner and small 1 inch sections. I don't use a flat iron at all, as the intense heat on that area worries me that it will fry it. My hairdryer is hot, but I can still put my hand in front of the air since it is an older hairdryer. I also use the diffuser if I want to leave my hair curly, and poke the difffuser into my scalp area to dry that part, but usually leaving the hip length damp to dry curly on its own. Hope this helps.

lapushka
December 24th, 2016, 10:08 AM
I blow dry weekly, but I don't consider that "heat styling". Heat is something your skin can't tolerate, and I dry my hair with airstream that does NOT burn my skin, so I consider it *safe* for the hair. I have been doing this since shoulder, or thereabouts, and have no white dots or split ends. Have been doing this for years. I do diffuse my hair.

Upside Down
December 24th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Yeah I dn't really consider blow drying hear styling. It is heat drying maybe :lol:

I used to diffuse my hair weekly when I was curly. Made sense till mbl or so...

I got the feeling this thread will whither and die quickly :lol:

Upside Down
December 25th, 2016, 02:39 PM
So I was right. Well funny though I think there were heat stylers here but I guess not so active lately.

Ah well, thanks to those of you who played ;)

Arctic
December 25th, 2016, 02:53 PM
I haven't thrown away any of my heat tools. I blow dry regularly, mostly just the gentle drying with cool-warm, but occasionally a proper blow drying too, with higher heat and brush. I very occasionally use my curling wand or rotating brush, but I admit it's been more like once a year lately. I have never caught the straightening bug because I used to have naturally straight and flat hair, but I do own a miniature straightening iron. I bought it when my trichotillomania was bad, my wiry, kinky hairs are a trigger and the iron helped me a lot!

I would like to use my curling wand more often but since I've never been into regular heat styling I have absolutely no idea how much my hair can take it.

Frankenstein
December 25th, 2016, 02:53 PM
I do still flat iron my hair every few months. I might do it more if I weren't so lazy. As much as I try to have healthy hair, sometimes nothing beats the look of shiny, smooth straightened hair :lol:

Arctic
December 25th, 2016, 02:59 PM
For heat protecting I use Got2B Guardian Angel spray (I think that how it's called here). It doesn't leave my hair feeling producty at all. Although I don't really believe those products can do much.

Rowdy
December 25th, 2016, 04:09 PM
I looove my flat iron! It has always been my qualifier for long hair; as long as I can straighten it on a regular basis and my hemline looks nice :) So far that is waist with a V hem and this coming year I'll see if hip works. I have also been styling my hair more after keratin straightening but it takes much, much less heat and time to do so.

I've found my ends need to get wet at least once every 7 days and my scalp needs to be washed every 4 days. I alternate between a full wash and a scalp wash every 4 days but I still only shampoo my scalp during the full washes.

Shampoo: Hask Keratin shampoo
Conditioner: Aussie 7 in 1, Hask Keratin conditioner
Oil: Sweet almond oil
Heat protectant: CHI silk infusion, Redkin smooth lock, Keratins complex infusion therapy, Her Styler vitamine E hair serum, BC repair rescue sealed ends

I'm mainly using the first 3 heat protectants right now as I am out of the last 2. CHI silk infusion is the slipperiest, lightest thing ever and I love it. I use the Infusion therapy one after I am done heat styling because I like how it makes the hair look.

My goal for 2017 is to learn how to do waves and some curls with my flat iron.

DoomKitty
December 26th, 2016, 12:13 AM
Joining in! I've started blow drying my roots on warm, leaving the length (though my hair is still not quite APL...been here forever sigh) damp as my hair takes 8 hours or more to dry.

Washing...Grow Gorgeous Cleansing Conditioner for coloured hair on scalp, NAK conditioner on length for 3 minutes, rinsed for 3 minutes in cold water. Microfiber turban for about 15 minutes. Schwartzkopf BBB Balm and Garnier Smoothing Serum on length and partially finger combed, Schwartzkopf Leave In Condtioner for coloured hair all over and a heavy spray of VO5 Heat Protect all over. Blow dried roots and length, starting upside down to get at bottom layers, set part and gently finger combed as hair dried. Fringe and face framing layers clipped back to allow length to dry loose.

My hairdresser straightens my hair for trims and these have been the only times in the last 14 months I've had flat irons on it, but I'm not adverse to using them...I just haven't been anywhere 'fancy' enough to want to do it lol

LadyCelestina
December 26th, 2016, 12:48 AM
So I was right. Well funny though I think there were heat stylers here but I guess not so active lately.

Ah well, thanks to those of you who played ;)

I think there was actually a larger thread like this but it was mostly people who blow dried/diffused too :D. I don't heatstyle either, because my hair won't straighten nicely. But I like to look at people who do *creepy* :eyebrows: haha sorry

I'm have considered getting a curling iron before, if I could find one that can work at useless temperatures :D I think you don't have to heat them as much as straightening irons and if I just wrapped my hair around a warm-ish iron it would be plenty for it to stay in the shape. That's why I liked a video somebody posted about heating up a spoon slightly with blowdryer and using it to curl bangs :D

yahirwaO.o
December 26th, 2016, 01:58 AM
Count me in! My hair is naturally straight yet it looks wild and frizzy as the day goes by. Titanium flat iron is amazing to keep things sleek.shiny and super straight.

I've been straightning every week once or twice with heat protector and just one pass at 150 degress!

My hair looks and feels much better! I've tried every oil-product to reduce frizz and my hair was definetly the healthiest yet it looked poofy and sort of damaged with so much static}Now im willing to flat iron and keep my hair looking very neat!..... and the shine!!!!! :happydance:

Upside Down
December 27th, 2016, 01:44 AM
I haven't thrown away any of my heat tools. I blow dry regularly, mostly just the gentle drying with cool-warm, but occasionally a proper blow drying too, with higher heat and brush. I very occasionally use my curling wand or rotating brush, but I admit it's been more like once a year lately. I have never caught the straightening bug because I used to have naturally straight and flat hair, but I do own a miniature straightening iron. I bought it when my trichotillomania was bad, my wiry, kinky hairs are a trigger and the iron helped me a lot!

I would like to use my curling wand more often but since I've never been into regular heat styling I have absolutely no idea how much my hair can take it.

I know that's kind of how I feel too. I used to go for regular blowouts but those were really really harsh and my hair didn't take it well. But OTOH I think since I am probably cutting it short-er soon, I may as well play around with heat :)

Count me in! My hair is naturally straight yet it looks wild and frizzy as the day goes by. Titanium flat iron is amazing to keep things sleek.shiny and super straight.

I've been straightning every week once or twice with heat protector and just one pass at 150 degress!

My hair looks and feels much better! I've tried every oil-product to reduce frizz and my hair was definetly the healthiest yet it looked poofy and sort of damaged with so much static}Now im willing to flat iron and keep my hair looking very neat!..... and the shine!!!!! :happydance:

I knoooow, the shine is awsome!

I just bought Tig iCatwalk Haute iron spray for heat protection. I will let you know when I try it. Seems to have good reviews.

Does anyone here order hairstuff online? Any shops to recommend? Almost all products you listed are not available for me localy :( :lol:

And another question, what temperatures do you use? I use 160- but I think I can go lower. I will definitely try 140oC and see how that goes.

Rosetta
December 27th, 2016, 03:02 AM
Interesting thread, somehow I hadn't noticed this before... I actually bought a curling wand last year, a good quality ceramic pearl one, which I always use in its lowest heat setting, 130 C. And I only use it in "emergencies", i.e.when I haven't the time or chance to do heatless curls or other styling, like when travelling, and mainly on my shortest layers (too long to call bangs, I guess). Well, since I only use it occasionally, I guess there's not that much to talk about for me, but anyway it's nice to be able to even mention heat styling here without immediate censure :)

(I've never used a straightening iron, as my hair is naturally straight, so it'd be a bit pointless ;))

KittyBird
December 28th, 2016, 04:13 PM
I heat style occasionally. I have a curling wand, and I use it at the lowest heat setting (130 C) and only keep my hair wrapped around it for 5 seconds (it has a timer that can be set to either 5, 10 or 15 seconds). I haven't actually used it for quite a while, because I like how my natural curls look now, but it would definitely be fun to play around with it sometimes. I use heat protectant spray, though I don't know how much it actually helps.. I use it anyway, it probably doesn't hurt. :p

Upside Down
December 29th, 2016, 02:18 AM
Oh I am really happy to hear so many use 130oC and it works! I will definetly try to lower my ironing temp to 140 (my iron won't go lower).

And on that topic, what tools do you use? I am in the market for a new iron (one with more temperature settings, that can go lower than 140!) and possibly a curling wand (it is just an idea if I decide to go shorter). I'd love to hear what you have and your experiences.

My hair haul is coming today. I plan a clarifying/chelating wash, deep treatment and another full head straightening session over the weekend. For new years! :) I am looking forward to trying the new heat protectant. (And joico deep treatment).

And then I plan to give it a rest and do just root touchups with scalp only washes.

Idreamlong
December 29th, 2016, 02:28 AM
I went from straightening my very curly hair everyday, sometimes twice a day to once every 2-3 months in the past 18 months.

After doing this, I finally managed to grow it to BSL and it's now heading towards waist. I know the GHDs are bad for my hair, but I LOVE my hair straight. It's swooshy and glossy and I look better!

It has been straightened a few times in the past week due to Christmas nights out etc and it will be straightened on New Years for a party. Yesterday I spent an hour S&Ding and also did a micro trim, then clarified, did a condition with Joico K-Pak reconstructor and then left Joico Intense hydrator in for a while. This morning it was lovely and soft etc again.

After New Years, I don't plan to straighten it again until March. Will just put up with it curly until then!

In terms of heat protection, nothing is going to protect against the heat of GHDs, but I do use a Tresemme heat protector to make myself feel better!

Rosetta
December 29th, 2016, 03:37 AM
Good to see so many others using Joico K-Pak treatments now - that stuff does miracles!! :) I got myself a Joico K-Pak color therapy deep treatment ("Luster lock") yesterday (from a flea market, so the price wasn't bad ;)) The Reconstructor is the best, but this one seems good too.

And on that topic, what tools do you use? I am in the market for a new iron (one with more temperature settings, that can go lower than 140!) and possibly a curling wand (it is just an idea if I decide to go shorter). I'd love to hear what you have and your experiences.
I have a Remington Pearl Ci95 curling wand, it has a ceramic coating with real pearl shimmer ("15 x more ceramic and 95% smoother glide than normal ceramic", though I'm not usually one to believe marketing claims :)) And as I've mentioned earlier, it has adjustable temperature, 210 - 130 C. The best heat tool I've used, though I must admit I haven't used that many in my life ;)

Upside Down
December 29th, 2016, 04:53 AM
Good to see so many others using Joico K-Pak treatments now - that stuff does miracles!! :) I got myself a Joico K-Pak color therapy deep treatment ("Luster lock") yesterday (from a flea market, so the price wasn't bad ;)) The Reconstructor is the best, but this one seems good too.

I have a Remington Pearl Ci95 curling wand, it has a ceramic coating with real pearl shimmer ("15 x more ceramic and 95% smoother glide than normal ceramic", though I'm not usually one to believe marketing claims :)) And as I've mentioned earlier, it has adjustable temperature, 210 - 130 C. The best heat tool I've used, though I must admit I haven't used that many in my life ;)

How long do you leave the k-pax on? I have never used it before. Looking forward to it, really!

Remington seems to be a good brand. I'll look into their irons too. I am also liking the reviews of a bablyss iron with 50 temperature settings (who needs 50 settings!? I have no idea). But it is really hard to find good info on irons, because I am not looking for common characteristics! High temperature is considered a pro, but in my book I want a setting as low as it can go. And I keep readng about how if your hair is long (long being past shoulder or bsl) then you need higher temperatures. Wt hell? How does that make sense? :shrug:

Upside Down
December 29th, 2016, 05:00 AM
I went from straightening my very curly hair everyday, sometimes twice a day to once every 2-3 months in the past 18 months.

After doing this, I finally managed to grow it to BSL and it's now heading towards waist. I know the GHDs are bad for my hair, but I LOVE my hair straight. It's swooshy and glossy and I look better!

It has been straightened a few times in the past week due to Christmas nights out etc and it will be straightened on New Years for a party. Yesterday I spent an hour S&Ding and also did a micro trim, then clarified, did a condition with Joico K-Pak reconstructor and then left Joico Intense hydrator in for a while. This morning it was lovely and soft etc again.

After New Years, I don't plan to straighten it again until March. Will just put up with it curly until then!

In terms of heat protection, nothing is going to protect against the heat of GHDs, but I do use a Tresemme heat protector to make myself feel better!

Have you tried to do scalp only washes? I think you can do it at mbl.
There are threads about it as well as tools you can buy (or diy, that's what I do!).

It allows you to touch up roots without ironing the ends at all.

I am mentioning this because you said you ironed hair twice a day. Do you wash your hair everyday?

Idreamlong
December 29th, 2016, 06:04 AM
Hi there,

No I used to iron my hair twice a day, but stopped 18 months ago and since then only iron it every few months. Doing this has enabled me to grow it from APL to BSL but I still can't resist ironing it once in a while.

I haven't tried scalp only washes no. I might give them a go :)

Rosetta
December 29th, 2016, 09:04 AM
How long do you leave the k-pax on? I have never used it before. Looking forward to it, really!
Mine says to leave it for 3-5 mins, but it's not the same one that you have, I think you've got the Reconstructor? :)

Remington seems to be a good brand. I'll look into their irons too. I am also liking the reviews of a bablyss iron with 50 temperature settings (who needs 50 settings!? I have no idea). But it is really hard to find good info on irons, because I am not looking for common characteristics! High temperature is considered a pro, but in my book I want a setting as low as it can go. And I keep readng about how if your hair is long (long being past shoulder or bsl) then you need higher temperatures. Wt hell? How does that make sense? :shrug:
I've never heard that one before :eek: But I'd never use a high temperature anyway if I can avoid it, I'm that much of a long-hair at heart, I guess :p

likelikepenny
December 29th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Hi everyone. Nowadays I probably heat style my hair 2-3 times a year, if that. When I was younger, we used a hot comb heated on the stove and was only used for special occassions or when I desperately wanted straight hair. Since then I've learned to embrace my natural curls but sometimes I like to change up my look, also for the purpose of length checks since I'm a hyper curly.

I plan on straightening my hair in April for a special event. I've tried various heat protectants (tresseme, garnier, got2b) and so far got2b guardian angel is my favourite, the others left my hair sticky and stiff.

I'm very excited to straighten my hair as now I've learned to appreciate my curls and don't want a "bone straight" look. I've recently been looking into flat irons and the best temperature to flat iron my hair on. Any suggestions?

likelikepenny
December 29th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Also I wanted to share this link about hair straightening temperatures: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/05/straightening-factshow-hot-is-too-hot.html

Upside Down
December 29th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Mine says to leave it for 3-5 mins, but it's not the same one that you have, I think you've got the Reconstructor? :)

I've never heard that one before :eek: But I'd never use a high temperature anyway if I can avoid it, I'm that much of a long-hair at heart, I guess :p

Ih mine also says 5 minutes but I always leave masks on for hours :shrug:
I'll go with half an hour and see from there.

I am like that too about temperatures. That is why I want one with many settings so I can choose a low temperature.
Believe it or not there are MANY irons that don't let you choose the temperature at all. And they are usually at 220+ :eek:

Also I wanted to share this link about hair straightening temperatures: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/05/straightening-factshow-hot-is-too-hot.html

That is a really cool read!!! I wish they also list for how long the temperature has to be sustained to get those effects. I also wonder about heat transfer through the hair Itself. Plus not all hairs get in dorect contact with the heating tools etc

But a cool read definetly. At least you get some idea as to what effects of heat are on hair.

lillielil
December 29th, 2016, 12:18 PM
I've started heat styling mine recently. I blowdry, and occasionally curl it either with hot rollers or with a curling iron. I really hate the curling irons that I have - I have a 1.5" and a 3/4" (I think?) and neither one of them has any info on what temperature they are on. Instead they have useless scales from 1 - 20. I want to get a high-quality curling wand with clear temperature settings instead.

Upside Down
December 31st, 2016, 01:53 PM
Well the tigi spray is so-so. It doesn't feel sticky and stiff like taft did, but kind of left my hair almost looking greacy.

Then I put less on the other side of my head and it doesn't show. I am not in love with it but it is an improvement to Taft.

As for the whole clarifying and joiko kpax thing weeell I did that too, followed by 15 min of hello hydration from HE. And my hair feels great, it is tangle free and soft and silky but it LOOKS like a big ball of poof! Wt hell? Usually it airdries in elongated spirals but this time: poof!

I think the clarifying stripped some of my kerasilk :(

Dark40
December 31st, 2016, 08:28 PM
I'm joining this thread too. I blow-dry my hair every single day but only when my hair is 100% dry. So, I don't consider that heat styling. I also love my flat iron too just Rowdy. :-) I use my flat iron twice a week but whenever I do I always use some type of heat protectant. Even whenever prepare my hair for blow-drying I always use a heat protectant a few hours before blow-drying. It takes my whole head to air dry up to 100% for 5 hours, and my hair is BSL.

Dark40
December 31st, 2016, 08:32 PM
I looove my flat iron! It has always been my qualifier for long hair; as long as I can straighten it on a regular basis and my hemline looks nice :) So far that is waist with a V hem and this coming year I'll see if hip works. I have also been styling my hair more after keratin straightening but it takes much, much less heat and time to do so.

I've found my ends need to get wet at least once every 7 days and my scalp needs to be washed every 4 days. I alternate between a full wash and a scalp wash every 4 days but I still only shampoo my scalp during the full washes.

Shampoo: Hask Keratin shampoo
Conditioner: Aussie 7 in 1, Hask Keratin conditioner
Oil: Sweet almond oil
Heat protectant: CHI silk infusion, Redkin smooth lock, Keratins complex infusion therapy, Her Styler vitamine E hair serum, BC repair rescue sealed ends

I'm mainly using the first 3 heat protectants right now as I am out of the last 2. CHI silk infusion is the slipperiest, lightest thing ever and I love it. I use the Infusion therapy one after I am done heat styling because I like how it makes the hair look.

My goal for 2017 is to learn how to do waves and some curls with my flat iron.

Hey Rowdy! I loveeee my flat iron too just like you!!! But I only flat iron once or twice a week at the least. So, that I don't suffer any heat damage, and whenever I do use my flat iron I always use some type of heat protectant.

Upside Down
January 10th, 2017, 06:34 AM
Well the tigi spray is so-so. It doesn't feel sticky and stiff like taft did, but kind of left my hair almost looking greacy.

Then I put less on the other side of my head and it doesn't show. I am not in love with it but it is an improvement to Taft.

As for the whole clarifying and joiko kpax thing weeell I did that too, followed by 15 min of hello hydration from HE. And my hair feels great, it is tangle free and soft and silky but it LOOKS like a big ball of poof! Wt hell? Usually it airdries in elongated spirals but this time: poof!

I think the clarifying stripped some of my kerasilk :(

I think I slightly panicked here :lol:

My hair needed some oil on it, and cones. That's all. I can really say that the Joico treatment helped A LOT. It feels sooo nice now. I use the leave in (that I feared to use because it contains protein, and I was afraid to overload after Joico, but it actually really really helped), and then oily/coney serum that I normally use.
It feels so good, I am definitely revisiting the "cutting to LOB" idea. I wear it down every day, for about half a day.

As for the new Tigi spray, I like that one too. There was a learning curve, obviously, I put in way too much last time. It is feather light and makes my hair very smooth. Doesn't add shine or anything, and I don't know if it really protects from heat, but hey, I'll repurchase and keep using it.

And I also did my last root flat-ironing on 140 C and it did great. It is maybe a bit kinky near my bangs, but it was snowing heavily and it may have gotten damp there at some point.