PDA

View Full Version : "I have really long hair"

Kherome
December 22nd, 2016, 02:26 PM
So, I was watching a video on youtube and you know those annoying ads you have to let play before each video? Well this ad comes up and I am waiting for the "skip this ad" thing to become viable when they girl in the ad says "I have really long hair."

I seriously almost spit water on my computer. I mean her hair was MAYBE BSL. Maybe. The ad was an Aveda thing teaching you how to do a "faux bob" with "really long hair" and I have to say if nothing else it gave me quite a chuckle. Step in to my world Aveda girl! LHC will show you what "really long" hair is! Haha

littlestarface
December 22nd, 2016, 02:28 PM
So, I was watching a video on youtube and you know those annoying ads you have to let play before each video? Well this ad comes up and I am waiting for the "skip this ad" thing to become viable when they girl in the ad says "I have really long hair."

I seriously almost spit water on my computer. I mean her hair was MAYBE BSL. Maybe. The ad was an Aveda thing teaching you how to do a "faux bob" with "really long hair" and I have to say if nothing else it gave me quite a chuckle. Step in to my world Aveda girl! LHC will show you what "really long" hair is! Haha

:rollin: Das right! LOL

Sarahlabyrinth
December 22nd, 2016, 02:30 PM
haha, I have noticed so much of this on YT too. And there I sit, waiting to see the "really long hair", which is - where? Because I don't see it...

Actually this reminded me of a YT video I watched yesterday on how to make your hair grow in half an hour. The secret consisted of - (in case any of you want to try it) of measuring the hair, then covering it in gloop, massaging the scalp, then washing it and re-measuring it. While the hair is soaking wet. And yep, sure as eggs, she had gained over an inch.... Snort...... :p

Kherome
December 22nd, 2016, 02:37 PM
haha, I have noticed so much of this on YT too. And there I sit, waiting to see the "really long hair", which is - where? Because I don't see it...

Actually this reminded me of a YT video I watched yesterday on how to make your hair grow in half an hour. The secret consisted of - (in case any of you want to try it) of measuring the hair, then covering it in gloop, massaging the scalp, then washing it and re-measuring it. While the hair is soaking wet. And yep, sure as eggs, she had gained over an inch.... Snort...... :p

Nice. I hope people aren't dumb enough to fall for that!

spidermom
December 22nd, 2016, 02:52 PM
I noticed that when I was searching for my new haircut. "Long" hair starts at collarbone, apparently, although this length is also referred to as "medium".

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 22nd, 2016, 02:55 PM
I noticed that when I was searching for my new haircut. "Long" hair starts at collarbone, apparently, although this length is also referred to as "medium".

I have hairdressers that would confirm this. I think that length typing in the hairdressing community.

Personally for me, BSL is actually really long.
I guess it just depends on the person and their perception of long because I would die to have BSL hair.

lithostoic
December 22nd, 2016, 03:22 PM
I see this on other forums a lot. "I have really long hair like down to my waist" and I'm like uh that's not that long

Quixii
December 22nd, 2016, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I often see in various places online, and occasionally in person, people talking about their "oh so long hair," and I'm left thinking, "where's the long hair?"
I guess I get that for some people, things like BSL are really long, but it leaves the rest of us with really long hair in an awkward place. How am I supposed to describe my hair in a way that actually means something if "long" is anywhere past shoulder for so many people?

CindyOfTheOaks
December 22nd, 2016, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I often see in various places online, and occasionally in person, people talking about their "oh so long hair," and I'm left thinking, "where's the long hair?"
I guess I get that for some people, things like BSL are really long, but it leaves the rest of us with really long hair in an awkward place. How am I supposed to describe my hair in a way that actually means something if "long" is anywhere past shoulder for so many people?

Really, really long hair ?

Sarahlabyrinth
December 22nd, 2016, 04:48 PM

They would probably say it was freakishly long hair. And the sooner I get freakishly long hair, the happier i will be :D :p

Robot Ninja
December 22nd, 2016, 04:57 PM

That seems to be around waist in the World Outside LHC. Or at least in the world of Tumblr tags and Google searches.

CindyOfTheOaks
December 22nd, 2016, 05:15 PM
They would probably say it was freakishly long hair. And the sooner I get freakishly long hair, the happier i will be :D :p

Me too and :lol:

That seems to be around waist in the World Outside LHC. Or at least in the world of Tumblr tags and Google searches.

:lol:

Llama
December 22nd, 2016, 05:15 PM

Yours could be described as "extremely long" in the real world :)
LHC definitely changed my perception of what "long" was. Don't judge those who aren't on LHC too harshly...I know people that have never had hair past shoulder length so BSL would be very long to them since they would not used to it being that long.

HeartofHaleth
December 22nd, 2016, 05:58 PM

I believe I've said this before, but it gets repeating. I will feel like my hair is long enough when it starts to give people the creeps! :thumbsup:

ETA: sorry, a bit off topic...Here, I'll fix it! I've run into the same problem, especially with Google searches. No matter how many intensifiers I tack on (very, extremely, etc.), the majority of results are around waist-length. This is quite frustrating when I need a picture reference with a certain length of hair!

pili
December 22nd, 2016, 06:49 PM

I'm with ya!

truepeacenik
December 22nd, 2016, 08:11 PM

Don't forget "vaguely creepy."

Sarahlabyrinth
December 22nd, 2016, 08:14 PM

Of course - "vaguely creepy" - how could I forget? :D

browneyedsusan
December 22nd, 2016, 08:21 PM
Creepy long!

oh my goodness! MY hair is longer than WL!
What does that mean???:brickwall

pili
December 22nd, 2016, 08:24 PM

Bwahahaha!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 22nd, 2016, 08:30 PM
Creepy long!

oh my goodness! MY hair is longer than WL!
What does that mean???:brickwall

You know what THAT means - you're.... creepy. :p

truepeacenik
December 22nd, 2016, 08:37 PM
We are all creepy!
Yay.

vampyyri
December 22nd, 2016, 08:39 PM
Strange how I look at my hair and think "meh, not that long" but hearing this... I was one of those people who would chop at BSL because it was "long" :lol: oh how LHC has changed my mindset...

I suppose we're all creepy here :p

triumphator!
December 22nd, 2016, 08:43 PM
"Vaguely creepy endearing weirdos," if I recall correctly :p

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=56047

Bill D.
December 22nd, 2016, 08:50 PM
As long as you're not creppy... ;)

Chromis
December 22nd, 2016, 09:03 PM
I think I am more than only vaguely :eyebrows::eyebrows:

lunasea
December 22nd, 2016, 09:26 PM
Then there's vaguely creepy and possibly sexy (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57938).

turtlelover
December 22nd, 2016, 09:53 PM
If you look around, there really isn't much healthy long hair around, at least in the midwest USA. I see midback hair all the time, but it tends to be stringy, chemical fried, and probably straightened to point that it is snapping. I see lots of hair that I'd swap my own for on LHC but not so much in real life. So, in my eyes, APL hair and longer in nice condition still catches my eye when out in the "real world" going about daily life.

Aunty Miki
December 22nd, 2016, 10:24 PM
I want clearly creepy long hair! I'm at WL at present. That'd be very long out there, but a good start here.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 22nd, 2016, 10:31 PM
Yours could be described as "extremely long" in the real world :)
LHC definitely changed my perception of what "long" was. Don't judge those who aren't on LHC too harshly...I know people that have never had hair past shoulder length so BSL would be very long to them since they would not used to it being that long.

That's what im sayin'.

Honestly, I am sure these people have never heard of LHC and probably don't think about growing their hair as long as we do.
I personally feel like waist is really really long. When I said I wanted to grow to TBL I get wide eyes, our lengths are just not "typical". Lol.

AutobotsAttack
December 22nd, 2016, 11:28 PM
I can totally agree with everyone. Even as a child long hair was anything longer than mine (which never went past the tops of my shoulders lol. As I started to learn how to take care of my hair, long hair to me is anything at TBL, classic, or beyond. Most women who are of my ethnicity consider my hair long (MBL) because not many women are informed on how to take care of their hair when speaking about black women, so the majority of them never see any growth past neck or shoulder length, but to me my hair is what I call "medium length", only because I compare it to the rest of my body as a whole. Even the hair weaves women get only go to 26" which is considered long. Yet on here I see hair gorgeous locks swinging past peoples butts, and I'm just sitting here somewhat interested at the contrast of perceptions. I never envisioned my hair past APL, but with patience anyone can achieve long locks.

lapushka
December 23rd, 2016, 03:15 AM
I don't know. It's probably long to her. And all in all, I wouldn't call BSL short either, but *really* long? Nope. I get why you reacted the way you did, OP. :lol: We can get that sometimes, can't we?

I just recently cut back from classic to hip, thinking on the one hand "OMG whatareyoudoingit'snolongergoingtobelong" and OTOH, "YOLO". :lol: Oh well, I guess my hair now isn't really really long anymore. ;) :p

Zebra Fish
December 23rd, 2016, 03:19 AM
I had to cut back to mbl and I'm all "my hair is so short now :cry:" and get all the people look at me in: what are you crying about? your hair is really long!

Rosetta
December 23rd, 2016, 03:24 AM
Well, as some have already said, in society at large, BSL IS long, even though standards here are slightly different ;) So no surprise there; the world's standards are just different from this site's.

Btw, as to people here being creepy, I once mentioned & linked to this site on another (music-related) forum (in defence of long hair), and the comments were like "uhh, people have all kinds of ******es nowadays...!!" Annoying, but what can you do, that's how most people feel, it seems...

I know this is slightly OT, but when are people actually going to start rebelling against being force-fed ads all the time and everywhere?!? (And the corporate stranglehold of the world that's the root cause of the ads proliferation...) Well, I already rebel against it, but haven't seen many others do it yet ;)

Doom
December 23rd, 2016, 04:42 AM
I know this is slightly OT, but when are people actually going to start rebelling against being force-fed ads all the time and everywhere?!? (And the corporate stranglehold of the world that's the root cause of the ads proliferation...) Well, I already rebel against it, but haven't seen many others do it yet ;)
I've been using adblockers for so long, I don't even remember when I started. Although, what I remember is that when I started, a Pentium III at 800 MHz was still a viable computer.

HairPlease
December 23rd, 2016, 04:51 AM

I'm not sure there's much we can do about it at this time, but I agree, it isn't cool! I just ignore them/look away (ok, it's not that easy). I pulled my cable a long time ago so I don't see TV ads.

Back to topic...
I've never heard anyone refer to APL/BSL hair as "really long" in person. I've heard APL called long, but never collarbone (except on beauty websites). I think internet-long, LHC-long, and In-person-long are all extremely variable.

Angelica
December 23rd, 2016, 05:03 AM
But some people like me, just cannot grow our hair very long regardless of how well you treat it. I have always wanted extremely long hair but it never gets to any decent length. Some people's genetics don't allow very long hair. Not keen on Aveda products anyway! lmao! Have a Merry Christmas xxx

hanne jensen
December 23rd, 2016, 05:33 AM
On LHC my hair is average-slightly below waist. IRL my hair is long. I feel my hair is short...

RebekahE
December 23rd, 2016, 08:34 AM
Lol! Last February I wore my hair down to an event. Goodness! Everyone was telling me how long it was. I thanked them and I did appreciate their comments but I'm thinking, "It's barely hip length. Wait until I get back to classic."
I saw a girl in Walmart, her hair was mid-back length but it was really fried and in terrible condition. She kept going on about how long her hair was. I just smiled to myself. If she only knew what my bun held . . .

browneyedsusan
December 23rd, 2016, 09:04 AM
@Sarahlabyrinth:
FINALLY!!!

I
have
arrived! :cheese:

*tosses hair*

@BillD
I'm working on it! lol! Give me a little more time to fully mature. Maybe by the time I'm 80, I'll be creepy and creppy, with a loving man in my arms, and hair to my ankles. :)

Entangled
December 23rd, 2016, 09:23 AM
I understand where it's coming from, although very long for me meant tailbone since I was a child (there was a girl at school with hair that long, so that was what I considered long). But what bothers me is the slightly condescending tone many youtubers seem to have. They start their videos with disclaimers like "now guys, my hair is extra long and super thick, so you'll have to modify things. I get the disclaimer, but the tone frequently bothers me. Their hair is rarely "super long" to me, nor is it "super thick." (My sister has what I think is average iii hair, and I've done it a lot for her and am familiar with how it looks and a little bit of how it acts).

It's like they're trying to prove their superiority or something. I'll contrast that to TorrinPaige, who does say those things, but they matter. Her hair is very long, which changes the styles she posts. It's also thick, and that is again relevant to her style videos, but I never feel like she's being condescending to people with shorter or thinner hair. It also bothers me that most "hair gurus" seem to need to prove that their hair is thick, because it's seen as better or something. No, it isn't. (That's one reason I also enjoy SilvousPlaits, who has really neat styling videos and manages perfectly fine with ii range hair, I think.)
Bit of a rant, sorry.

littlestarface
December 23rd, 2016, 10:07 AM
I seen a review in amazon well actually tons of reviews on amazon where girls will be like "now my hair is extremely long, almost to my butt" n I'm like hahahaha I wish I can show you what long really is girly.

Rosetta
December 23rd, 2016, 10:42 AM
I'm not sure there's much we can do about it at this time, but I agree, it isn't cool! I just ignore them/look away (ok, it's not that easy). I pulled my cable a long time ago so I don't see TV ads.

I've been using adblockers for so long, I don't even remember when I started. Although, what I remember is that when I started, a Pentium III at 800 MHz was still a viable computer.
Adblocks are a given ;), but I meant that people should stand up against this ad inundation and not just quietly accept it as "normal"; if everyone who finds constant advertising everywhere annoying would actually rebel against it, things might change... (I belong to a few organizations that stand up against corporate power, that's one way to rebel, and there are others...) Sorry, OT finished now!

I understand where it's coming from, although very long for me meant tailbone since I was a child (there was a girl at school with hair that long, so that was what I considered long). But what bothers me is the slightly condescending tone many youtubers seem to have. They start their videos with disclaimers like "now guys, my hair is extra long and super thick, so you'll have to modify things. I get the disclaimer, but the tone frequently bothers me. Their hair is rarely "super long" to me, nor is it "super thick." (My sister has what I think is average iii hair, and I've done it a lot for her and am familiar with how it looks and a little bit of how it acts).

It's like they're trying to prove their superiority or something. I'll contrast that to TorrinPaige, who does say those things, but they matter. Her hair is very long, which changes the styles she posts. It's also thick, and that is again relevant to her style videos, but I never feel like she's being condescending to people with shorter or thinner hair. It also bothers me that most "hair gurus" seem to need to prove that their hair is thick, because it's seen as better or something. No, it isn't. (That's one reason I also enjoy SilvousPlaits, who has really neat styling videos and manages perfectly fine with ii range hair, I think.)
Bit of a rant, sorry.
I totally agree (though I try to avoid youtubers like that)... But the part I bolded, about thick hair being seen as better & beautiful, that just seems as entrenched a view in society as the BSL-length as very long, or blonde hair as desirable; I hear it everywhere and all the time, so don't really even notice it much anymore... Though as a fine-haired person, of course it rankles a bit.

pili
December 23rd, 2016, 11:17 AM

Bit of a rant, sorry.

This exactly. I can't stand the way these girls talk down to others. There is no "better" hair, unless you are talking about healthy hair.

Ponymad21
December 23rd, 2016, 12:02 PM
People keep trying to tell me my hair is "really long" it's only just below waist, long hair to me is hip, really long is classic!

RebekahE
December 23rd, 2016, 02:43 PM
I totally agree (though I try to avoid youtubers like that)... But the part I bolded, about thick hair being seen as better & beautiful, that just seems as entrenched a view in society as the BSL-length as very long, or blonde hair as desirable; I hear it everywhere and all the time, so don't really even notice it much anymore... Though as a fine-haired person, of course it rankles a bit.

It is so annoying how everyone assumes that fine hair is thin hair. Ugh! It drives me crazy! My hair isn't overly thick but ti isn't exactly thin. My two younger sisters have hair that is well into iiii and their hair is fine.

lapushka
December 23rd, 2016, 03:09 PM
It is so annoying how everyone assumes that fine hair is thin hair. Ugh! It drives me crazy! My hair isn't overly thick but ti isn't exactly thin. My two younger sisters have hair that is well into iiii and their hair is fine.

I always say, I have F hair... but a lot of it. Seems to explain things well enough. ;)

Ligeia Noire
December 23rd, 2016, 07:02 PM
Lol I sometimes get those suggestions on youtube and if it is tbl or hip I actually agree but most of the time if not always it is bsl or waist!
I am like, okay, no.
This is why I hide my hair, this is why I wear it up to work all the time so people do not freak out or start questioning me to death, because for the everyday folk long hair is bsl, super long waist and the rest is just yuck, what is that? I understand curiosity but most times I just want to be left alone. And that is why I always wear it up for social gatherings. This Christmas and New year's I am wearing it up to avoid these situations. If it was at my parents house it would be cool, as they know and my mom has hair longer than me but other places I just feel the centre of attention in a freak-show kind of way. My grandmother and aunt are actually downright rude about it but I always wore it down when we went to their place to piss them off it was great fun. My in-laws, are cool though but I still wear it up at their house because I somehow feel like they think I might want compliments or attention... I am a virgo, so overthinking is my middle name.

MidnightMoon
December 24th, 2016, 04:16 AM
Lol I sometimes get those suggestions on youtube and if it is tbl or hip I actually agree but most of the time if not always it is bsl or waist!
I am like, okay, no.
This is why I hide my hair, this is why I wear it up to work all the time so people do not freak out or start questioning me to death, because for the everyday folk long hair is bsl, super long waist and the rest is just yuck, what is that? I understand curiosity but most times I just want to be left alone. And that is why I always wear it up for social gatherings. This Christmas and New year's I am wearing it up to avoid these situations. If it was at my parents house it would be cool, as they know and my mom has hair longer than me but other places I just feel the centre of attention in a freak-show kind of way. My grandmother and aunt are actually downright rude about it but I always wore it down when we went to their place to piss them off it was great fun. My in-laws, are cool though but I still wear it up at their house because I somehow feel like they think I might want compliments or attention... I am a virgo, so overthinking is my middle name.

Hmm I get this, although the longest my hair has been is tailbone. Where I worked nobodys hair would be longer than BSL, only one girl with waist, but she straightened it, and it kinda looked less, so straightened not poofy hair seemed more normal.
Anyways, I had a boss who was always motivating people to cut their hair, like, not overly pushy or anything but she and her superior were always cutting theirs and commenting on it.
I feel like it was too much for them to handle haha. So I wore it up about 95% of the time. I'd still wear it down like once or twice a month, but I think if I had kept growing working there there would come a time when I would no longer do it. Which is a shame because my face definitely looks better with hair around it. I have a round face and hate my neck being exposed (which is also a reason why I would wear scarves even when it wasn't really necessary). Oh well...
I will also wear it up today, I was invited to a gathering and while I dont really fear being judged on it, Id rather keep it out of the way, avoid tangles as the night might extend for longer than expected and involve some walking,using the subway, etc.
At least it evokes a feeling as if I were in some other era, though, where ladies kept their hair up and hidden, and taking it down at night feels a bit special.

MidnightMoon
December 24th, 2016, 04:17 AM
I am like, okay, no.

Hmm I get this, although the longest my hair has been is tailbone. Where I worked nobodys hair would be longer than BSL, only one girl with waist, but she straightened it, and it kinda looked less, so straightened not poofy hair seemed more normal.
Anyways, I had a boss who was always motivating people to cut their hair, like, not overly pushy or anything but she and her superior were always cutting theirs and commenting on it.
I feel like it was too much for them to handle haha. So I wore it up about 95% of the time. I'd still wear it down like once or twice a month, but I think if I had kept growing working there there would come a time when I would no longer do it. Which is a shame because my face definitely looks better with hair around it. I have a round face and hate my neck being exposed (which is also a reason why I would wear scarves even when it wasn't really necessary). Oh well...
I will also wear it up today, I was invited to a gathering and while I dont really fear being judged on it, Id rather keep it out of the way, avoid tangles as the night might extend for longer than expected and involve some walking,using the subway, etc.
At least it evokes a feeling as if I were in some other era, though, where ladies kept their hair up and hidden, and taking it down at night feels a bit special.

Olavi
December 24th, 2016, 04:39 AM
I know saying this in LHC is blasphemy, but I for me BSL IS long, and whenever someone says it's short my initial thought is "Sorry, should have known my BSL+ is so short it's basically bald..." I know that's not what people mean, but it's still really deflating to hear.

Simsy
December 24th, 2016, 04:48 AM
I'll be honest, I still feel like I have really short hair and I'm nearly out of spine to measure against. I still look at RL people with hair above waist and think how long and pretty their hair is. (Yes, I have major perception issues with my own head.). Long tends to be a very personal idea, almost like tall. You may feel tall at 5 foot 3, I sometimes feel really short at nearly 5 foot 10.

That being said; long, short, thick, thin; you can't really change the hair you are given outside of small changes like growing or taking care of it. So rock what you have, work for what you want that will be achievable; and be as glorious as you want.

Hairkay
December 24th, 2016, 06:40 AM
Well now that my hair is waist long stretched my friend says it's the first time I've got long hair. It had been BSL for ages. There are some who have trouble getting their hair more than 4 inches long so anything shoulder length and over is long to them. They'd tell me that BSL was long. Those with hip length plus never noticed mine. It's all about perception and what you've experienced.

MidnightMoon
December 24th, 2016, 07:20 AM
I think the issue here is we usually compare things among certain given standards.. like.. if what we consider the longest hair we have ever seen is BSL (regular people), then sure, APL would be like medium lol, but us, who have seen floor length, knee length is not such a rare occurence, etc., then for us, relatively speaking, BSL would be the short end of the spectrum

Ligeia Noire
December 24th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Well, I still think bsl is not long but certainly it's not short either.

Upside Down
December 24th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Well, fwiiw I don't agree with lhc standards on what is "long"

:lol:

pili
December 24th, 2016, 09:40 AM
I think it's wrong to call it a "LHC standard". It's more of a concensus. There are members here who have terminal length of BSL. For them it really is long. The two I am thinking of have such pretty, fairytale hair. We are exposed to much greater lengths (and suduced to grow longer!) being members of the boards. I know that's not really the point of the OP, but not everyone here chooses to stop at BSL.

Chromis
December 24th, 2016, 10:00 AM
We have had a great many threads in the past about "LHC long" versus muggle long.

The general consensus that I recall has been that BSL and waist is indeed "long" for most people outside of LHC.

I myself figure BSL qualifies as long. If you want to describe longer and longer, whip out some handy adjectives! (Please to be calling mine extraordinarily long, thanks! I will also accept splendorously long.)

pili
December 24th, 2016, 10:47 AM
We have had a great many threads in the past about "LHC long" versus muggle long.

The general consensus that I recall has been that BSL and waist is indeed "long" for most people outside of LHC.

I myself figure BSL qualifies as long. If you want to describe longer and longer, whip out some handy adjectives! (Please to be calling mine extraordinarily long, thanks! I will also accept splendorously long.)
I just call yours jaw dropping.
:agape:

Adorkable One
December 24th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Despite being bsl, my hair just doesn't feel long to me. I consider it medium. I don't think my hair will feel long until tbl and beyond.

turtlelover
December 24th, 2016, 08:03 PM
I wish people would stop overanalyzing what is long and what isn't. Who cares? If you've had a pixie cut for a decade, past the shoulders probably feels LONG to you. If you have had floor length hair for a decade, hair to your butt probably seems short. There isn't a right or wrong here.....perception is reality. I'd rather just focus on being kind to others and helping them to enjoy the hair that they have.

browneyedsusan
December 25th, 2016, 04:13 PM
I wish people would stop overanalyzing what is long and what isn't. Who cares? If you've had a pixie cut for a decade, past the shoulders probably feels LONG to you. If you have had floor length hair for a decade, hair to your butt probably seems short. There isn't a right or wrong here.....perception is reality. I'd rather just focus on being kind to others and helping them to enjoy the hair that they have.

Agree.
My hair feels crazy long. Anything beyond shoulder is new and strange. :)

calmyogi
December 25th, 2016, 04:46 PM
I think this is funny as well. I have people tell me that my hair is long and I just chuckle and say "not really" lol.

I saw someone on here posted one time that her hair was really long and then went on to say it was at her waist. I thought that was curious, or she hadn't been a member long.

hanne jensen
December 26th, 2016, 09:15 AM
I don't think my hair is long, but my goal is ankle or terminal, whichever comes first. In that perspective, waist is short.

Acid
December 26th, 2016, 07:35 PM
i remember when my hair was just at waist and a girl with shoulder length hair called mine unnaturally long and insisted it was all extensions :rolleyes: to her anything past APL was super long

i consider MBL to be medium these days but back when i was at that length i saw it as long, now i feel like waist and hip are just average (long but nothing crazy) and TBL/classic is where it starts to be quite long. I think its just from getting used to seeing so many beautiful long manes on here and becoming 'acclimatised'.

maborosi
December 26th, 2016, 08:55 PM
I just tell people my hair is "ridiculous", because, to the majority of people (at least where I am) classic-length is really long. To me? It's long, sure, but then, I want to keep growing, so my idea of 'long' is a bit skewed.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 26th, 2016, 11:48 PM

Agreed. Thats my exact issue with this thread...

I have never had hair past APL. It will take me a long time before I get anywhere close to lengths like the rest of the users here.
And although I have made some friends here, it makes me extremely self conscious especially when I feel like my hair is getting long.
Sometimes I say "wow my hair is getting long!" to myself or to my boyfriend and friends and family. And youd think saying things like that should come easy here.
But forums like this make me feel deflated, like another user here mentioned. Makes me less inclined to show hair photos a lot of the time.

My hair isn't long enough. I have pretty bad self esteem to begin with though.

Upside Down
December 27th, 2016, 12:40 AM

Hear, hear!

Bambi
December 27th, 2016, 01:23 AM
Agreed. Thats my exact issue with this thread...

I have never had hair past APL. It will take me a long time before I get anywhere close to lengths like the rest of the users here.
And although I have made some friends here, it makes me extremely self conscious especially when I feel like my hair is getting long.
Sometimes I say "wow my hair is getting long!" to myself or to my boyfriend and friends and family. And youd think saying things like that should come easy here.
But forums like this make me feel deflated, like another user here mentioned. Makes me less inclined to show hair photos a lot of the time.

My hair isn't long enough. I have pretty bad self esteem to begin with though.

I just want to let you now that I think you have a lovely mane:).
Enjoy it at every length as it grows and have fun with it.

Rosetta
December 27th, 2016, 02:24 AM
It is so annoying how everyone assumes that fine hair is thin hair. Ugh! It drives me crazy!
Well, I don't know if that rant was aimed at me, I know they're not the same, but at least where I live, most people don't even make that distinction, those two are considered the same, with the same word used for both (by most people, who don't make such finer distinctions (pun intended))... ;)

I wish people would stop overanalyzing what is long and what isn't. Who cares? If you've had a pixie cut for a decade, past the shoulders probably feels LONG to you. If you have had floor length hair for a decade, hair to your butt probably seems short. There isn't a right or wrong here.....perception is reality.
I totally agree, but from what I've seen (and no offence intended), overanalyzing is the bread & butter of this site ;)

triumphator!
December 27th, 2016, 09:24 AM
I agree with everyone above about the "I wish people would stop over analyzing" thing. The unfortunate side effect of this website is that most people's hair takes so long to grow out that they have nothing but time to sit around and over analyze every aspect of hair in general, it's human nature :p

catabear
December 27th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Our society has totally shifted from long hair to short hair trends, so now medium length hair is considered 'long', when in reality, it's medium length.

ipickee
December 27th, 2016, 12:53 PM
I'll be honest, I still feel like I have really short hair and I'm nearly out of spine to measure against. I still look at RL people with hair above waist and think how long and pretty their hair is. (Yes, I have major perception issues with my own head.). Long tends to be a very personal idea, almost like tall. You may feel tall at 5 foot 3, I sometimes feel really short at nearly 5 foot 10.

That being said; long, short, thick, thin; you can't really change the hair you are given outside of small changes like growing or taking care of it. So rock what you have, work for what you want that will be achievable; and be as glorious as you want.

I think this is a fabulous point. Especially here on LHC. My hair is fairly short, compared to other LHCers, but in real life, I have the longest hair in my family. At Christmas, an aunt asked about my TT, so I took it out to show her, and my family was floored at how long my hair had gotten.
I, however, can not WAIT to hit FTL, because my hair just feels so short! It's definitely an LHC-induced perception issue :)

Kae612
December 27th, 2016, 07:32 PM
I agree with a lot of people, I think personal perception comes into play a lot. What's "long" for you is probably different from other people with different frames of reference, and all that means is your experience differs. Not everyone can actually grow very long hair, and growing speed differs, and information about hair health also differs.

As someone fairly new to LHC, I've always thought there was short (above shoulders), very short (can just tuck behind ears/buzz to pixie or so), medium length (shoulders to about BSL or mid-back), long (mid-back or BSL to around tailbone), and then very long (basically when you sit it continues past the seat of the chair, so tailbone and on). I found short through long fairly common, with medium the most common, and both very short and very long haired girls were rare. I love both looks, they really stand out.

I think terms like "long" and "short" are both overused. No one wants to say they have "average" or "medium" length hair so shoulder length hair is being referred to as a "long bob" or "lob" style. I think it's a lovely, pretty style but it's definitely a medium cut that is being referred to as a "long [insert short haircut name]." In some circles, that's long hair! In other circles, that's short hair! The name "long bob" then makes sense to both, because it's saying "long-short" hair, not "medium." (you can find this difference also by looking up "short hair styles" and "long hair styles" and for both you'll find guides on shoulder to APL length hair mixed in with shorter or longer styles).

There might be something to be said about an increasingly shorter overall measure, like maybe medium is now ear to shoulder and APL is long because it's becoming more unusual. They're all relative terms and how they're used is completely contextual, so having a common definition depends on the circle you run in. I see lots of BSL or longer hair in my everyday life, so yes, saying "very long" to describe BSL sounds funny to me. But if someone told me that no, BSL was really in fact SHORT hair, I'd find that even more absurd! Because no, it definitely isn't short or even medium, in the context of the hair I see around me. LHC is a specific context, and especially in terms of what "long" is, it makes sense that it would differ here than common. Because average-length hair is average, and a group with the goal of "long hair" isn't average. Lol :eye:

(Fun thought experiment lol)!

Quixii
December 27th, 2016, 08:35 PM
For sure things vary a lot, though I'm not sure it can entirely be blamed on LHC.
I first heard about LHC maybe a year before I actually looked at it, because I assumed, with my hair at hip/tailbone, that my hair was too short to even consider looking at a long hair forum.

Upside Down
December 28th, 2016, 06:43 AM
For sure things vary a lot, though I'm not sure it can entirely be blamed on LHC.
I first heard about LHC maybe a year before I actually looked at it, because I assumed, with my hair at hip/tailbone, that my hair was too short to even consider looking at a long hair forum.

Wow, really? I wonder how you got that impression that tbl was not long. I mean I don't know a single person with tailbone lenght in real life. (I knew one girl with knee lenght, we lost contact long time ago. She is remembered by her hair :lol: )

I joined with chin lenght. When I grew it to bsl it felt long and I didn't really visit the forum for years!

Meredith_Sulok
December 28th, 2016, 08:15 AM
With my current length and joining this forum, my perception of "long hair" has changed forever~

Tassledown
December 28th, 2016, 12:24 PM
I've had conversations (and misunderstandings) with my partner over what "long hair" is entirely based on our different personal experiences. I could never manage my hair past BSL; they'd had TBL hair before. We had to clarify several times when describing other people to each other just what we meant when we said "long" because anything BSL and longer was "long" to me and they didn't mean "long" until WL.

The English language does indeed fail when it comes to "long" as a modifier. I run into these problems elsewhere too (what's a tall height, what's an 'easy' walk, what's a long read.) Perception and cultural norms for the local area is everything. LHC has a set norm of "long" hair lengths, but everyone comes to it from a different place indeed.

DreamSheep
December 28th, 2016, 02:50 PM
It's funny how different people's perceptions are! When I had short hair for years, shoulder length felt long and APL felt miles long (and anything beyond that was unthinkable). That perception changed as it grew out though I'd definitely say my hair was long now :p

LillithTheFirst
December 28th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Haha, i feel the same when girls on youtube make advice videos on how to grow long healthy hair and its like BSL!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 28th, 2016, 04:27 PM
I was having a discussion with my sister who was insisting that shoulder length hair was "long". So I asked her how many different types of buns could be done with shoulder length hair. That floored her... :p

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 28th, 2016, 06:53 PM
I just want to let you now that I think you have a lovely mane:).
Enjoy it at every length as it grows and have fun with it.

Thank you. Sometimes its hard to like it and feel proud about it when I come into the forums.
But I appreciate your message.

Greenfire
December 28th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Okay, long for whom?

For a guy, long hair might be shoulder length. For someone in the military, long might be anything over your ear or touching your collar. For a kid, long might be something you sit on or almost sit on, but that exact length of hair put on someone who is 6 feet tall might barely hit APL. Long for a short person might be hair that hits them mid body, but for a tell person again, they have to have hair that's a lot longer than that to be considered the "same" length. What length are your bangs when you say, "my bangs are long and need a cut?" What length is your husband's hair when you tell him it's getting long?

When you put your milestones out there, when not everyone has the same body, then long is simply a descriptor meaning that it's longer than whatever you're comparing it to.

I think this is why we don't actually use the term long much here as the sole descriptor, but instead we use all these short forms, which actually DO mean something (even if it's still two different lengths of hair for someone who's 4 feet tall to someone who's 6 feet), but Hip is Hip is Hip no matter if you're 6 or 60. BSL is BSL and Classic is Classic. So, do you have long hair? Yep, yep you sure do, at least in comparison to something.

Rosetta
December 29th, 2016, 02:17 AM
I was having a discussion with my sister who was insisting that shoulder length hair was "long". So I asked her how many different types of buns could be done with shoulder length hair. That floored her... :p
That's of course one point of view, but to my knowledge "long" isn't generally defined by "how many buns you can make with it" ;)

Upside Down
December 29th, 2016, 05:02 AM
Honestly I don't think people outside lhc care for buns. It is all just a bun or a braid or in most cases "hair up".

Rosetta
December 29th, 2016, 08:55 AM
^ Not everyone inside LHC does, either :o I confess, I can't do any of the "name buns" (i.e. cinnamon, chinese, nautilus, and what not); I have a few go-to updos I've devised myself, most of the time I just use one of them, and that's fine for me :) (Though to my surprise, I did later discover it's actually the first (or most) steps in one of the "name buns" here! :eek:)

Though I admit putting hair up for me is mainly functional, just to get hair out of the way & protected, as I mostly wear it down when (lots of) other people can see me.

Of the Fae
December 30th, 2016, 05:22 AM
Wow I saw the commercial and it was weird.. also, not a very succesful faux bob. I'm a bit mystified since I do see a lot of people with BSL to waist length hair around in public, so how would said commercial lady call that? However, these are almost exclusively younger girls up until about 18. After that most people wear it much shorter.

Upside Down btw, love your avatar!

Upside Down
December 31st, 2016, 04:46 AM
^ Not everyone inside LHC does, either :o I confess, I can't do any of the "name buns" (i.e. cinnamon, chinese, nautilus, and what not); I have a few go-to updos I've devised myself, most of the time I just use one of them, and that's fine for me :) (Though to my surprise, I did later discover it's actually the first (or most) steps in one of the "name buns" here! :eek:)

Though I admit putting hair up for me is mainly functional, just to get hair out of the way & protected, as I mostly wear it down when (lots of) other people can see me.

I do lwb and once in a while do a nautilus to change the direction of the fork and because my follicles like the change :lol:

Wow I saw the commercial and it was weird.. also, not a very succesful faux bob. I'm a bit mystified since I do see a lot of people with BSL to waist length hair around in public, so how would said commercial lady call that? However, these are almost exclusively younger girls up until about 18. After that most people wear it much shorter.

Upside Down btw, love your avatar!

Monster kitty thanks you, yarrr :)

Mimha
December 31st, 2016, 06:34 AM
The cool thing coming out of this dicussion is that you can always pretend you have super long hair. Just adjust the reading grid to your standards (or whatever standards are convenient for you to compare with) and here you are !

Oh gosh... I'm super rich, guys. I just come to realize it ! :) :) And actually, when I think about it, I'm beautiful and healthy too. And my hair is thudworthy long.

Isn't it a wonderful thought to begin the new year with ??

browneyedsusan
December 31st, 2016, 07:18 AM
The cool thing coming out of this dicussion is that you can always pretend you have super long hair. Just adjust the reading grid to your standards (or whatever standards are convenient for you to compare with) and here you are !

Oh gosh... I'm super rich, guys. I just come to realize it ! :) :) And actually, when I think about it, I'm beautiful and healthy too. And my hair is thudworthy long.

Isn't it a wonderful thought to begin the new year with ??

^^ :agree: ^^

Upside Down
December 31st, 2016, 07:49 AM
If you really want that label, than by all means :lol:

Mimha
December 31st, 2016, 08:40 AM
If you really want that label, than by all means :lol:

It's not a matter of label at all I'm talking about : it's a matter of self-esteem through "seeing the good sides of your own life" (you know, the glass of water half empty or half full^^). I could as well have a pixie cut or boldly go bald. Too many people here tend to set their self-esteem as per the length (thickness, shine, whatever) of their hair. What I wanted to say is that comparing can be dangerous and undermine your self-esteem. So a wise solution to it is to see things with glasses that make you feel good, not depressed. :)

Upside Down
December 31st, 2016, 01:41 PM
Compare to those with less?

Just kidding. I get it ;)

hanne jensen
January 6th, 2017, 11:52 AM
I've never had my hair as long as it is now. To me my hair is long, while to many members here it would be considered not that long. It really is a question of perspective.

truepeacenik
January 6th, 2017, 12:48 PM
"Vaguely creepy endearing weirdos," if I recall correctly :p

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=56047

Well it's time for a title change!

KittyBird
January 6th, 2017, 01:15 PM
Compared to my hair, waist length is pretty freaking long! :lol: It would take me years to grow my hair that long! Not that I'm planning to, I'm actually thinking about getting a slightly shorter and more layered bob the next time I go the hairdresser. :p