PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I need a new hairstyle!!

pizzadev0urer
December 22nd, 2016, 06:20 AM
Things have been bad lately :( and I feel like I want some changes in my life...particularly something good that I won't feel bad about. :confused: I'm not the best in managing my hair and I'm no expert...so I thought about reaching out to this community. :)
As seen in the image below, I have dark brown hair reaching the top of my breasts. I'm fair-skinned and I have a round face (or so I think). (Yes, I'm ugly as hell.) Would appreciate it if any of you guys would try to suggest something new (could be hair length, colour or style) for me to try out this summer. :o Thanks!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0SHiWiVIAAHEBf.jpg

lapushka
December 22nd, 2016, 06:57 AM
This is kind of odd to want haircutting advice on a board that is dedicated towards growing out hair.

I'd grow it out some more. Who knows you might like it longer. And there's so many styles you can do with longer hair (braids, buns, fun hairdos as you can see in tons of YT videos by torrinpaige or ladollyvita33).

Have you thought about just growing it longer?

MidnightMoon
December 22nd, 2016, 07:31 AM
lapushka I don't see what's odd about it. Here we have people who maintain short, people who dye, people who experiment with cuts and whatnot. It's an active site, one of the first ones that pop up, easy to use, she probably figured why not give it a shot?

Anyways... since you're asking for styling advice/help, that's what my answer should be based on.
Now, first you should give a bit more info as in how short or long you actually want it, how your hair behaves and how coarse or fine it is (in my opinion, bangs look better with coarser hair, and would be easier to style if your hair is naturally straight, just to give you an example), if you can or want to dye or experiment with semi permanent ones, etc.
Also what you like to wear (i.e. maybe something cute vs something edgy like a side cut), if you practice any sports or activities we should take into account, etc.

pizzadev0urer
December 22nd, 2016, 07:46 AM
Well, yeah. My main goal was to grow it for at least another year or two but I feel like I needed some change...y'know.

But yeah, maybe I should wait and try to make it longer.

pizzadev0urer
December 22nd, 2016, 07:56 AM
lapushka I don't see what's odd about it. Here we have people who maintain short, people who dye, people who experiment with cuts and whatnot. It's an active site, one of the first ones that pop up, easy to use, she probably figured why not give it a shot?

Anyways... since you're asking for styling advice/help, that's what my answer should be based on.
Now, first you should give a bit more info as in how short or long you actually want it, how your hair behaves and how coarse or fine it is (in my opinion, bangs look better with coarser hair, and would be easier to style if your hair is naturally straight, just to give you an example), if you can or want to dye or experiment with semi permanent ones, etc.
Also what you like to wear (i.e. maybe something cute vs something edgy like a side cut), if you practice any sports or activities we should take into account, etc.

Well, uh, thank you :)
First of all, I have no idea whether I should cut it long or short, tbh. It might depend on what hair style would fit me, which...I don't know either. I have a finer type of hair (tying my hair reveals hairlines too quickly), usually a bit wavy. I'd want to dye my hair, but I have no idea which colour would suit me (I don't wanna look like a clown!!!! AHHH), though I'd prefer a light brown colour. Also, I don't have a particular style but I think I lean more on casuals. And yeah, I don't do sports anymore.

Your hair reminds me of a classmate I had once in 5th grade. She had the exact same thing. :)

lithostoic
December 22nd, 2016, 08:05 AM
Part it on the side and do a faux undercut using one or two french/dutch braids or twists. Maybe a couple face framing layers? Your hair is short enough that they wouldn't take a long time to grow out if you dislike them.

MidnightMoon
December 22nd, 2016, 08:07 AM
Well, uh, thank you :)
First of all, I have no idea whether I should cut it long or short, tbh. It might depend on what hair style would fit me, which...I don't know either. I have a finer type of hair (tying my hair reveals hairlines too quickly), usually a bit wavy. I'd want to dye my hair, but I have no idea which colour would suit me (I don't wanna look like a clown!!!! AHHH), though I'd prefer a light brown colour. Also, I don't have a particular style but I think I lean more on casuals. And yeah, I don't do sports anymore.

Your hair reminds me of a classmate I had once in 5th grade. She had the exact same thing. :)

Hehe I laughed at "the exact same thing". Cool :p
Hmm well, if it's on he finer and wavier side and you want a change that's not so dramatic in case you decide to grow it long any time soon I'd go with long layers, with the shorter pieces framing your head, so that you could always leave those out of updos when wanted, or just make em more interesting.
Something like this:
http://mac.h-cdn.co/assets/15/05/980x1470/gallery_nrm_1422653776-mcx-tres-halfuphalfdown-12.jpg

or this:
http://www.styleshairs.com/upload/updo-hairstyles/updo-hairstyles-for-layered-hair-4.jpg

and this:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9b/51/76/9b51768e817414f7976a91fbe3ec4c40.jpg

If you choose to dye, I'd recommend a colour close to your natural, because a lot of bleach will damage it and you'd have to dye your roots, cut off the damaged ends every now and then, etc.
If I were you I'd rather go with a non permanent dye, in a colour that would show up in dark brown, such as blue or red, and just give it a slight shine. You wouldnt risk "looking like a clown", and it would wash out eventually.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2016, 08:55 AM

Just seemed a little strange to me, that's all. ;) :)

ephemeri
December 22nd, 2016, 09:42 AM
You can always experiment with fun colors using non-permanent dye like Manic Panic. :o

spidermom
December 22nd, 2016, 10:03 AM
So many options! It really depends on what you want for your own hair. If you have had a length goal in mind for a long time, I think you should reach that length before you make a change. Not reaching a goal kind of leaves a hole in your overall life, know what I mean? I think that's what we most regret - giving up on a goal.

bparnell75
December 22nd, 2016, 10:17 AM
I think some half up hair dos would give you changes, you could keep your length and let it grow. There are lots of Youtubes on half up. with some small hair forks or sticks you could learn how to do buns by doing them on half of your hair. It is a different look. You might try some light streaks in your hair around your face. That won't cUSE TOO MUCH DAMAGE.

Seija
December 22nd, 2016, 10:27 AM
I've chopped off my hair and dyed it every color imaginable, and honestly I've always just ended up with regret and envying people with natural healthy looking, long hair; like yours!

Deborah
December 22nd, 2016, 11:05 PM
Firstly, you don't look one bit ugly - I think that is just lack of self worth talking. You look like a pretty young woman with lovely dark hair. Do you know how to put it up in pretty updos? Those can make for quite a different look. There are endless instructions on this list of various buns that you might try, many of which are quite easy. Can you do a pretty braid? A French braid? A French twist? Any of those can give you a nicely different look too. The things I mention are all things you can do without cutting or dying your hair, but they can all relieve hair boredom quite well.

Welcome to LHC! :flower:

turtlelover
December 23rd, 2016, 12:11 AM
Decide what it is you really want and go for it. It looks like you have a versatile hair type. I love long hair the most, and think yours would look great even longer, but you need to follow your own heart and do some soul searching to see what truly makes you happiest inside. That is all that matters!

Anje
December 23rd, 2016, 11:00 AM
Yeah, the nice thing with longer hair is that you can wear it up, you can wear it down, braids, all kinds of things. Choose different accessories to hold it at your whim. Yes, they definitely take practice, and no one starts out skillful at it, but practice tends to pay off quickly. I recommend messing with styles on slow evenings before bed, when there's no pressure to make it look perfect for anything, and no real time constraints.

If changing it up more still doesn't do it for you, lots of people I know like some face-framing layers or bangs or similar. (Me, I can't stand hair in my face, so it REALLY didn't work for me.) A few shave the nape or one side for an edgier look they can reveal or hide, or color the nape something striking.

Flipgirl24
December 23rd, 2016, 07:43 PM
Things have been bad lately :( and I feel like I want some changes in my life...particularly something good that I won't feel bad about. :confused: I'm not the best in managing my hair and I'm no expert...so I thought about reaching out to this community. :)
As seen in the image below, I have dark brown hair reaching the top of my breasts. I'm fair-skinned and I have a round face (or so I think). (Yes, I'm ugly as hell.) Would appreciate it if any of you guys would try to suggest something new (could be hair length, colour or style) for me to try out this summer. :o Thanks!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0SHiWiVIAAHEBf.jpg

First of all, I can tell you aren't ugly. Don't say that! Your hair is gorgeous, great colour and thick!

I like the length but if you want a change , I would get some long layers cut with layers starting at your chin. Have the hairdresser give you face framing layers in the front. If you like bangs, try side swept but not too heavy bangs -think Reese Witherspoon side swept bangs. Add some caramel highlights to add dimension. Go onto pinterest and look up "hairstyles for long hair and round faces". Unless you are aiming to cut it short then look up short cuts with round faces.