PDA

View Full Version : L shaped ends

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 21st, 2016, 05:46 PM
And no, they are not from buns. I get them terribly when I bun wet but they usually dont break off they just cause tangles, so I stopped doing that and saw less. But it seems that they still happen anyway.
I know its breakage, and I should probably just cut them off but sometimes when I notice them, I do not have my hair shears on hand.
And the second I notice them they usually snap off... So bad...

I dont notice a lot, but I treat my hair very well and the L ends and breakage I see seems to stunt my growth.
In my opinion...
I feel like I am stuck forever floating between APL and BSL because of these bent ends!

:taz:

The most annoying part is they never cause a split end, so they just break off.
I notice maybe 10 of them a month, never splits just these L ends.
I notice them more when I cant ACV rinse, but I wonder what I am doing wrong. I have been here a long time so I feel like I should know my stuff but maybe there is something you guys can tell me... maybe its just the reality of my fine and wavy hair.

Wash day is anywhere from 2-3 days depending if I went to the gym recently. I am cone free.
CWC, I use sulphates. I have SD so I need them. One week, I use medicated shampoo, next wash with a regular shampoo/moisturizing shampoo, and then flip flop depending on how my scalp feels and if I need to clarify. C - cone free VO5 (which i know has protein) W- one of my three shampoos C- final conditioner is usually a cone free moisturizing conditioner, either SMT or biolage conditioning balm. Final rinse - if I can do it - ACV. I prefer it but sometimes I am out of town and cannot ACV.
After I get out of the shower, I usually let my hair air dry and put a little oil on it though I personally do not like the way it feels oiled.
After it drys, I usually finger detangle. I cannot detangle my hair wet, the tangles are worse when my hair is wet.
If I need to brush I gently use my tangle teezer and my fingers.
I do not use heat, I do not use elastics - spin pins and sticks only.
I do not color - I have not colored in about 2 years and have not touched bleach in 3 or more. I henna and indigo, maybe every 2 months.
I do not S&D, but I trim regularly. The last year I trimmed every 2-3 months by a professional, but the last 3-4 months I have been self trimming every month. Maybe I need to trim every month? I joined the no trims for 6 months thread but I am afraid my L bent ends will keep me from being able to do it.

I see them more on my sides, and not the hair at the crown or on my back. The hairs that seem to touch my shoulders, they have it the worst.
But my hair is up most the time. The second I take it down, L bent ends. So I put it up and ignore it. But it bothers me so much! I do not know what to do.
:pins:

What should I change? The only thing I refuse to do is wear a sleep bonnet/silk pillow case, I just cant.
I do a lot of traveling and I am in between locations, plus I live in a really hot state so generally its uncomfortable.
Thats the only thing I could think of of me needing to change.. but... lol

What do you members think?

Obsidian
December 21st, 2016, 06:43 PM
First thing I would do is get a really good chelating shampoo. If the ACV helps, it could simply be a bad case of hard water build up. If that doesn't help much, then try a good protein treatment followed by a DC.

Sleeping on silk would probably be quite helpful. Is there any way you could get a large silk/satiny scarf to wrap around you pillow? Its easy to stash in your purse during the day and quick to pull out at night.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 21st, 2016, 08:14 PM
First thing I would do is get a really good chelating shampoo. If the ACV helps, it could simply be a bad case of hard water build up. If that doesn't help much, then try a good protein treatment followed by a DC.

Sleeping on silk would probably be quite helpful. Is there any way you could get a large silk/satiny scarf to wrap around you pillow? Its easy to stash in your purse during the day and quick to pull out at night.

I have been meaning to buy a chelating shampoo but the only one I ever hear about here is from Joico and is way out of my budget.
Unless you know of a chelating shampoo I can buy in the US that is more budget friendly?

littlestarface
December 21st, 2016, 08:23 PM
I have been meaning to buy a chelating shampoo but the only one I ever hear about here is from Joico and is way out of my budget.
Unless you know of a chelating shampoo I can buy in the US that is more budget friendly?

I'm gonna be buying paul mitchells three shampoo which is a chelating one as well. It's only like 11bucks so you can see about that one too. Since your in cali with me you definitely need to chelate.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 21st, 2016, 08:37 PM
I'm gonna be buying paul mitchells three shampoo which is a chelating one as well. It's only like 11bucks so you can see about that one too. Since your in cali with me you definitely need to chelate.

Oh really? I know nothing about the water in Los Angeles.

littlestarface
December 21st, 2016, 08:41 PM
Oh really? I know nothing about the water in Los Angeles.

I know from my area to yours it's very hard water.

mizukitty
December 21st, 2016, 08:49 PM
I don't know if you need to go out and buy a specific chelating shampoo, citric acid rinses will pretty much do the job. This has really stumped me to be honest, because your routine sounds really good! The only thing I can think of is maybe mineral build up.. but even then you'd need a LOT for your hair to be super dry and ratty looking, which yours is definitely not. Is it dull at all? Dullness can be a sign of mineral build up, it really is for me, my hair turns a nastier color too.

It sounds like maybe you just need more moisture - you're a wavy so maybe try the LOC or LCO method? Creamy butters like curl enhancing smoothie from SM are great because they're water and oil so you get the moisture and the sealing in one step...

Are you using any other leave ins?

Obsidian
December 21st, 2016, 10:17 PM
Citric acid rinses just aren't enough if there is a lot of build up. I have moderately hard water and using a ACV soak to chelate did help quite a bit but I finally ordered some joico and the difference was amazing. My hair went from limp, flat and tangly to super soft and shiny.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 21st, 2016, 10:52 PM
I don't know if you need to go out and buy a specific chelating shampoo, citric acid rinses will pretty much do the job. This has really stumped me to be honest, because your routine sounds really good! The only thing I can think of is maybe mineral build up.. but even then you'd need a LOT for your hair to be super dry and ratty looking, which yours is definitely not. Is it dull at all? Dullness can be a sign of mineral build up, it really is for me, my hair turns a nastier color too.

It sounds like maybe you just need more moisture - you're a wavy so maybe try the LOC or LCO method? Creamy butters like curl enhancing smoothie from SM are great because they're water and oil so you get the moisture and the sealing in one step...

Are you using any other leave ins?

Nope, I think my hair is pretty moisturized, too much oil or leave ins make my fine hair limp and over moisturized very quick so I oil or use leave ins before a wash day only now. Otherwise I look like a drowned rat, even when I use minimal oil. I may buy a lighter oil like jojoba and give that a try, I wont give up on them because oils feel great as deep treatments, but right now coconut, EVOO, castor, shea butter are too heavy for me. I tried the LCO/LOC method awhile ago and it was too heavy for me, but maybe I used too much. I made some fox's shea leave in last week, havent tried it yet to seal, so I guess I can try again but my hair feels heavy very quickly.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 21st, 2016, 10:53 PM
Citric acid rinses just aren't enough if there is a lot of build up. I have moderately hard water and using a ACV soak to chelate did help quite a bit but I finally ordered some joico and the difference was amazing. My hair went from limp, flat and tangly to super soft and shiny.

Ill have to give them a try then, its the only thing I have not tried.
Joico is too expensive for me :./ womp

poli
December 22nd, 2016, 12:04 AM
I got them too. Mine are from past damage - bleached hair four years ago. The ends that are trimmed often have almost no damage.
The side layers have more and most of it on the parts that were not cut blunt but razored / thinned. IMO it matters how your hair was cut and how it was treated in the past.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2016, 04:38 AM
The only damage there is (in my book) are white dots and splits; the rest has to be from mechanical wear 'n tear. Not less than the rest, but if you sometimes just wash again, it can be "fixed".

school of fish
December 22nd, 2016, 05:34 AM
Is it like the very tippy ends of the strand is bent on an L-shaped angle? If so, I used to have these! At that time I was doing frequent full-head henna applications, not using conditioner and had both damage breakage and a layered cut that was created by razoring. With some heavy searching on this board I came to the conclusion that my strands were parched and needed rehabilitation - in particular moisture.

I've been able to eliminate them, it would seem permanently, with a combo of adding conditioner to my routine (I wash daily, alternating 1 day S&C with 1 day CO - but really I think just adding conditioner back into the mix has helped enormously), switching to roots-only henna applications, and microtrimming monthly. I don't remember how long it took for the Ls to disappear but I do remember that after my first use of conditioner my hair felt like hair again, not straw. I also found that adding a very weak acidic final rinse has helped as well.

So that's my experience - what confuses me about your case is that you seem to already have a great routine going on... in my case my strands were so clearly damaged and dry...

Maybe try searching like I did - I ran a google search using key words 'long hair community bent ends'. I actually find searching this site through google turns up more results than searching LHC itself. It's possible there are other solutions I don't remember because they weren't germaine to my particular situation.

Good luck! :D

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 22nd, 2016, 12:08 PM
I got them too. Mine are from past damage - bleached hair four years ago. The ends that are trimmed often have almost no damage.
The side layers have more and most of it on the parts that were not cut blunt but razored / thinned. IMO it matters how your hair was cut and how it was treated in the past.

I feel like this may be it because the sections that have the most L shaped ends, are areas that grow the slowest for me. So maybe all the damage didnt get cut out?
I dont know. I had pixie cuts on and off the last 3 years so I thought all the damage was grown out...
I keep cutting it off but it keeps breaking off the second I get past APL.
(my last pixie cut)
https://s30.postimg.org/5n6wzkdht/tumblr_ms9ho1_SSon1qbp72yo1_500.jpg

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 22nd, 2016, 12:10 PM
The only damage there is (in my book) are white dots and splits; the rest has to be from mechanical wear 'n tear. Not less than the rest, but if you sometimes just wash again, it can be "fixed".

I mean, sometimes they disappear, but they do have white dots. So I assume they are split ends but a different kind of split end. But they have white dots where the point of the L is, and usually snap off very easily. Either during the wash or during "styling" or combing/detangling.

Rowdy
December 22nd, 2016, 12:32 PM
Would a swimmers shampoo work for chelating? Target and Sally's each have some for around 7 - 9$.

poli
December 22nd, 2016, 01:23 PM
I mean, sometimes they disappear, but they do have white dots. So I assume they are split ends but a different kind of split end. But they have white dots where the point of the L is, and usually snap off very easily. Either during the wash or during "styling" or combing/detangling.

Yes, they are a stage between white dot and a split end. In my case they probably would snap sooner but henna keeps them together.

Rebeccalaurenxx if your pixie picture is from 2012 or 2013 you might still have some ends that never got evened out while trimming because they did not reach the level of the longest layer. I know I have some that are hiding from scissors.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 22nd, 2016, 06:23 PM
Would a swimmers shampoo work for chelating? Target and Sally's each have some for around 7 - 9$.

I think so, but I am not sure, another member would have to clarify on this. I feel like Ion has one for about 7$ which works much better for my budget, lol.

littlestarface
December 22nd, 2016, 06:25 PM

Yes it'll work.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 22nd, 2016, 06:29 PM
Yes, they are a stage between white dot and a split end. In my case they probably would snap sooner but henna keeps them together.

Rebeccalaurenxx if your pixie picture is from 2012 or 2013 you might still have some ends that never got evened out while trimming because they did not reach the level of the longest layer. I know I have some that are hiding from scissors.

Im actually not sure when I got that last pixie, but between 2012-2016 I have had 2 different pixie cuts and 3 different bob cuts, I have cut off huge amounts of hair not to mention have been doing 1/4" trims every month the last 3-4 months and have lost a lot of length, its why I have been here so long without hitting any real "goals" but I feel like there is probably SOMETHING hiding and you must be right. Something is getting past me. There must be because I take such good care of my hair. I decided to drop out of the no trims for 6 months forum, and will continue to self trim every month for the next 6 months, hopefully the "damage" is cut out (if it exists) and the thicker my hem gets the more my ends will be protected by other hair. I have been wanting to try the cat nip rinses too but never have the time to let the tea seep etc.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 22nd, 2016, 06:32 PM
Yes it'll work.

Thanks for clarifying! I will have to grab the one at sallys when I can head over, maybe tomorrow. I hate Sallys but I will go back for more... lol

spidermom
December 22nd, 2016, 10:11 PM
Do you notice these ends on air-dried hair or only on hair that has been bunned? They may be that the ends get scrunched from being in a bun or whatever hairstyle you are doing. My buns would always shift, and the ends would get horribly scrunched.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 29th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Do you notice these ends on air-dried hair or only on hair that has been bunned? They may be that the ends get scrunched from being in a bun or whatever hairstyle you are doing. My buns would always shift, and the ends would get horribly scrunched.

Its hair dried, I do not wet bun anymore because the bent ends were even worse along with single strand knots.

Bought a chelator and more conditioner yesterday so hopefully it helps.