PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyle for sports?

thunderseed
December 21st, 2016, 02:38 PM
So, I have long hair that's just above my butt and bangs that I'm trying to grow out that are just below shoulder level now. My hair is fine but pretty thick and unruly and prone to tangles so I have a very difficult time trying to put it up.

I need a hairstyle idea that will get it up and out of the way. I can't have it hanging low like a ponytail or else my hair turns into a dangerous whip and gets caught in my arms and armpits and gets yanked and pulled.
So far I've tried either doing a high ponytail, then braiding it then wrapping the hair around into a bun and securing it with pins, but it always comes undone. And none of those sport headbands work, they slide all over the place.

PixieP
December 21st, 2016, 03:06 PM
My first thought is a crown braid, coronet braid or milkmaid/Heidi braids.

Entangled
December 21st, 2016, 03:20 PM
Amish braids are a good bet. Interlocked/laced braids are similar in concept. There's also battle braids (multiple braids braided together) but that might not get it out of the way enough for you, even if it shortens it.

Pumpkin3826
December 21st, 2016, 04:01 PM
I have used the head bands that have little gripies on them and they seem to hold on pretty well. Have you thought about doing pigtail French braids and putting them into buns with spin pins? I recently purchased spin pins and they hold the bun in so well! I think it was about 5$ from target and you get two of the spin pins, I put one into the bun on each side, so top and bottom not crisscross. I hope that helps!!!

Cg
December 21st, 2016, 04:28 PM
I often French braid, pin into a bun, then put a buff over all.

thunderseed
December 21st, 2016, 05:58 PM
I often French braid, pin into a bun, then put a buff over all.

I never heard of buffs, just looked it up on youtube and they look pretty awesome and versatile!

thunderseed
December 21st, 2016, 05:59 PM
I have used the head bands that have little gripies on them and they seem to hold on pretty well. Have you thought about doing pigtail French braids and putting them into buns with spin pins? I recently purchased spin pins and they hold the bun in so well! I think it was about 5$ from target and you get two of the spin pins, I put one into the bun on each side, so top and bottom not crisscross. I hope that helps!!!

Thanks, I never heard of those spin pins either, do they hurt or break hair at all, easy to take out?

FantasyBoudicca
December 22nd, 2016, 06:04 AM
Braid securely, then use spin/screw pins supplemented as necessary by straight U pins. Those things just plain DO NOT BUDGE unless you actually reach in and twist them out yourself.

They don't damage hair. Basically the concept is that it's like a very large, stiff U pin had its tines wrapped around a stick, so you have to spin the pin while inserting it ('screwing' them into your hair) or removing it. Because of this, it isn't the easiest to remove - you can't just yank it straight out because it won't budge. You have to twist it in the opposite direction you twisted it in while inserting it. That said - I'm a Tae Kwon Do black belt and a high school student, with thick hair to my waist. My braided bun done with two of those and a few straight pins held through PE, Sports Day, physical training, and sparring. Normally, with just straight pins, I have to literally stop and redo my hair in the middle of what I'm doing just so it doesn't fall apart.

Cg
December 22nd, 2016, 07:52 AM
Thanks, I never heard of those spin pins either, do they hurt or break hair at all, easy to take out?

Some folks like them a lot. They do not hold or stay in my fine, thin, straight hair. Amish pins work a lot better.

Theobroma
December 22nd, 2016, 08:25 AM
Spin pins don't hold for me either, and my hair is neither straight nor thin! To put up my hair for running I start with a medium-high ponytail (with elastic), then do an orchid bun from there and secure it with a leather Flexi-8 and a wooden stick I turned myself (though you could surely use a stick bought from the site as well). That holds like an absolute rock.

Depending on what sports you're doing exactly, though, having a pointy stick protruding from your 'do might be an issue if it could injure other players.

MlleMC
December 22nd, 2016, 11:00 AM
I wear a braided lazy-wrap bun, held with a stick, for zumba class, and this thing is indestructible. It holds better if I make it higher on my head. Spin pins hold well in my hair, but they still wouldn't survive zumba and running like this bun does. If your bangs tend to get out, you can French braid the top of your hair to secure it.

thunderseed
December 22nd, 2016, 12:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the ideas, I'm going to go out and buy some of those hair accessories and try these things out