PDA

View Full Version : problems with henna/buxus gloss, help?

skydancer7
October 22nd, 2008, 05:59 AM
Hi
The last two times I have done a 1:1 henna-buxus gloss (dye-released and then added to suave coconut conditioner), I get little to no color on my roots, henna red on the inch after that, and very dark almost black red on my ends. What am I doing wrong?

I did colorfix twice about a month ago, so maybe my more porous/damaged hair is picking up the buxus and my new growth is just getting henna layers.

Perhaps I should skip the gloss and go for full-on mud?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Heidi

mellie
October 22nd, 2008, 06:00 AM
Yes, I would say try a full-on mud - maybe do an inconspicuous part of your hair first to test though!

Heidi_234
October 22nd, 2008, 07:05 AM
I do straight henna and it doesn't affect my roots as well as the lengths either, let alone a mix that is diluted with conditioner. How much conditioner have you used on how much mix? What's the ratio?
If you're after the color, then you should ditch the gloss recipes, since what they are meant to do is, well, gloss, not color.

btw, nice name you've got huh :P

skydancer7
October 22nd, 2008, 10:31 AM
LOL yes it's my favorite name ;)
I use about 1/2 cup mud mix to 1/2 cup conditioner.

You know, after letting it all oxidise overnight and washing it this morning, it looks a little better... there is a more gradual transition instead of a line of demarcation. Yay.

skydancer7
October 22nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
You know, this might be a great way for me to transition out of henna and into my natural color. If I do glosses with progressively less herb, maybe I can get a nice fade-in effect of my roots instead of that harsh line... hm

anyone else tried this route?

I am looking to get back to my natural color but don't have the heart to just bleach or just let my roots show.