PDA

View Full Version : Identifying cones

RebekahE
December 21st, 2016, 01:58 PM
In a desperate attempt to combat dryness I am going to abandon my cones . . . for one or two washes to see if it makes any difference. I don't know what else to do, I wear my hair up all the time, the only time it is down is to detangle it (with my fingers) and then it goes back up or gets put in my sleep braid if it's night. I use a humidifier. I've tried dryer sheets but they to seem to not help much either, I follow cwcc (condition the length, let that sit and shampoo the top, rinse, condition, let sit, rinse and then condition and let sit for a while before rinsing) I also do the roo by adding a little oil to the last conditioner, I then follow the loc method after I get out of the shower. I am going to do a clarifying wash and try cone-free. If I feel like my hair is really tangly afterward I may use one of my coney oil/serums.
Anyway, I can identify most cones but I am not sure about this one masque I have, are there any cones and is there anything in it that might build-up a lot with my sls free shampoo?
Ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Emulsifying Wax, Cetrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Oil , Stearalkonium Chloride, Butryospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Tocopherol Acetate, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Honey, Citric Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, Beta-Carotene

One last thing: Is dimethiconol a really heavy, build-up cone that doesn't easily wash off?

lapushka
December 21st, 2016, 02:02 PM
Anyway, I can identify most cones but I am not sure about this one masque I have, are there any cones and is there anything in it that might build-up a lot with my sls free shampoo?
Ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Emulsifying Wax, Cetrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Oil , Stearalkonium Chloride, Butryospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Tocopherol Acetate, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Honey, Citric Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, Beta-Carotene

One last thing: Is dimethiconol a really heavy, build-up cone that doesn't easily wash off?

Nope, your mask does not contain silicones. It does have a little protein, far down the list (hydrolyzed keratin).

I think dimethiconol is lighter than dimethicone, I... think. I know that I can have the latter on my scalp without my SD going haywire at the first go.

littlestarface
December 21st, 2016, 02:11 PM
In a desperate attempt to combat dryness I am going to abandon my cones . . . for one or two washes to see if it makes any difference. I don't know what else to do, I wear my hair up all the time, the only time it is down is to detangle it (with my fingers) and then it goes back up or gets put in my sleep braid if it's night. I use a humidifier. I've tried dryer sheets but they to seem to not help much either, I follow cwcc (condition the length, let that sit and shampoo the top, rinse, condition, let sit, rinse and then condition and let sit for a while before rinsing) I also do the roo by adding a little oil to the last conditioner, I then follow the loc method after I get out of the shower. I am going to do a clarifying wash and try cone-free. If I feel like my hair is really tangly afterward I may use one of my coney oil/serums.
Ingredients:

You will need sulphates to wash it out. It's not water soluble.

renia22
December 21st, 2016, 02:21 PM
I don't see silicones, but I know for myself if I used something with those oils and butters, particularly the shea butter and coconut oil, I'd need to clarify my hair. Also that Guar Hydroxyropyltrimonium Chloride, which seems to be in so many things, is a conditioning polyquat and has "high build up potential" much like non water soluble silicones. Just yesterday I bought some Kinky Curly come clean shampoo, which contains C 14-16 olefin sulfonate and is supposed to help remove those polyquats and styling polymers better than the usual sulfates (SLS/ SLES, ALS/ ALES), and I have to say this stuff clarified whatever was sticking to my hair right out, that my usual clarifying shampoo wasn't quite getting. You can always clarify your hair, and then see how the conditioner works on your hair with whatever sulfate free shampoo you are using. You can just clarify again if your hair starts to feel yucky.

littlestarface
December 21st, 2016, 04:22 PM
I don't see silicones, but I know for myself if I used something with those oils and butters, particularly the shea butter and coconut oil, I'd need to clarify my hair. Also that Guar Hydroxyropyltrimonium Chloride, which seems to be in so many things, is a conditioning polyquat and has "high build up potential" much like non water soluble silicones. Just yesterday I bought some Kinky Curly come clean shampoo, which contains C 14-16 olefin sulfonate and is supposed to help remove those polyquats and styling polymers better than the usual sulfates (SLS/ SLES, ALS/ ALES), and I have to say this stuff clarified whatever was sticking to my hair right out, that my usual clarifying shampoo wasn't quite getting. You can always clarify your hair, and then see how the conditioner works on your hair with whatever sulfate free shampoo you are using. You can just clarify again if your hair starts to feel yucky.

KC products work great, I love their stuff.

renia22
December 21st, 2016, 07:50 PM
KC products work great, I love their stuff.

This is my first time trying anything from them, I'm curious about their other products now. The Come Clean shampoo is the mother of all clarifying shampoos for sure :)

littlestarface
December 21st, 2016, 07:59 PM
This is my first time trying anything from them, I'm curious about their other products now. The Come Clean shampoo is the mother of all clarifying shampoos for sure :)

Kinky Curly Knot Today will melt through every tangle you got, seriously it's a really good leave in.

renia22
December 21st, 2016, 08:21 PM
Kinky Curly Knot Today will melt through every tangle you got, seriously it's a really good leave in.

Thank you, I will have to check it out!

mizukitty
December 21st, 2016, 08:39 PM
Ingredients:

Here you go! Dimethiconol seems to be easy to wash off. Remember, not ALL silicones are equal and they all do not require sulfates to remove (especially volatile)

So, even COwashing will remove the dimethiconol!

https://www.reddit.com/r/HaircareScience/comments/1woutk/all_about_silicones/

lapushka
December 22nd, 2016, 04:52 AM
Here you go! Dimethiconol seems to be easy to wash off. Remember, not ALL silicones are equal and they all do not require sulfates to remove (especially volatile)

So, even COwashing will remove the dimethiconol!

https://www.reddit.com/r/HaircareScience/comments/1woutk/all_about_silicones/

Found info on dimethiconol vs. dimethicone:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/the-truth-about-dimethiconol-si/

renia22
December 22nd, 2016, 07:19 AM
Here's a blog regarding silicones. Towards the bottom of the article, she goes over how to quickly test if a product might be water soluble or not, by putting it on glass and seeing what happens when you rinse under water (which she goes on to explain is a very rudimentary way of testing a product since ingredients bond differently to hair, but it's something to give you a quick idea). Also, if you read the comments, she explains which surfactants works better on removing butters and oils, which on silicones, etc, so you can look at your sulfate free shampoo and see if it looks like it might work well on the conditioner you have:

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/silicone-ingredient-solubility-list.html?m=1

mizukitty
December 22nd, 2016, 08:54 AM
Found info on dimethiconol vs. dimethicone:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/the-truth-about-dimethiconol-si/

Yeah, the reason I cite the reddit one is because it has cosmetic journals cited and a lot science-y information as to *WHY* for a lot of the 'cones. The page you linked seems to be just... speculation? She doesn't source anything. I'm not sure. Everything these days should be taken with a grain of salt, probably.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2016, 08:59 AM
Yeah, the reason I cite the reddit one is because it has cosmetic journals cited and a lot science-y information as to *WHY* for a lot of the 'cones. The page you linked seems to be just... speculation? She doesn't source anything. I'm not sure. Everything these days should be taken with a grain of salt, probably.

I just was interested in learning a bit about the actual difference between these two.

littlestarface
December 22nd, 2016, 09:46 AM
Man, lots of arguments about simple cones this year lol it's hilarious, people get so touchy about sulfates n cones.

RebekahE
December 22nd, 2016, 01:04 PM
Thank you for the links and answering my question. I know a lot more about hair than I did a year ago but I still feel like I'm clueless!

I washed yesterday. I clarified first followed with a Shea Moisture Protein free conditioner and then a Shea Moisture Masque mixed with a little bit of olive oil. I let that sit for about five minutes. I decided to forego the True masque (the one that I posted the ingredients on) since it had protein but I will use it next time. Afterward, I added a Shea Moisture leave-in conditioner/detangler. Good news, so far my hair seems pretty moisturized, I'll be able to tell for sure as the week goes along and my hair is no longer "refreshed" from the wash. Bad news is, my hair was really knotty and tangly. I picked apart the bigger tangles and then I added my argan oil serum which contains cones and it helped emmensely. This morning I added my Garnier Whole Blends Argan serum which is slightly thicker than the oil I used yesterday. I applied it just to the bottom 4 inches of my hair.