PDA

View Full Version : 6 year anniversary on LHC ~ Thank you

thirstylocks
December 21st, 2016, 12:03 PM
Am I allowed to make this type of post? I'm very excited to share my progress. It is not as impressive of some others, but I wanted to show you my journey. If anyone remembers my posts, I have always had trouble growing my hair due to breakage, even though I do not cause chemical/mechanical damage other than a blowdry once or twice a year. My dermatologist and hair stylist basically said that my extremely dry hair is genetic, and all I could do is condition it more than others.

Anyway, I wanted to post this especially for the people who feel like the long hair journey is too unattainable because I felt and often still feel that impatience and pessimism because of the quality of my hair. It doesn't quite show in photos, but a lot of my breakage starts pretty high on my hair shaft STILL TODAY- and even though my hair is in general straight, the hair strands by themselves are full of small kinks. Still, I grew it out to a length that I'm very comfortable with and I could not have done it without the advice on these forums.
xx

In 2009 I bleached my entire head. I had fairly long ~ BSL hair, and I kept dying it until I joined LHC in Dec 2010. Below is a picture of my very dyed hair.
https://s23.postimg.org/s31vz9eln/Screen_Shot_2016_12_21_at_1_38_47_PM.png

After I let it grow up to around my ears, I got fed up with it and chopped it all off myself in Spring 2011. It was still bleached from the ear down.
https://s27.postimg.org/ijzx0gk77/Screen_Shot_2016_12_21_at_1_37_25_PM.png

I kept this haircut (collarbone-shoulder length) until around Spring 2013, when the bleach was finally gone. Below is a pic of my shoulder length virgin hair.
https://s23.postimg.org/7vdz49rwr/Screen_Shot_2016_12_21_at_1_54_07_PM.png

Growing my hair out from this length took SO long. It is now winter 2016 and I'm somewhere between BSL and Waist, but I did it the healthy, right way (I hope!) Below is a photo of it in September after a haircut, and in my signature is a photo of my hair au naturale at the beach last summer.
https://s27.postimg.org/x1b2eavk3/Screen_Shot_2016_12_21_at_1_20_25_PM.png

Sarahlabyrinth
December 21st, 2016, 12:06 PM
Your hair is looking fabulous! And happy 6th hairiversary, wow, what a long hair journey you have had - but worth it! :)

diddiedaisy
December 21st, 2016, 12:28 PM
Congratulations, your hair looks beautiful :)

lapushka
December 21st, 2016, 12:59 PM
Looks like your hair is fairly easy to grow, and that's great. It looks amazing. Congrats on 6 years! :cheer:

Mirabele
December 21st, 2016, 01:50 PM
Congratulations! Your hair is beautiful and looks so healthy! i love your color and shine!

ephemeri
December 21st, 2016, 02:59 PM
Your hair looks SO healthy! Congrats on 6 years!

thirstylocks
December 21st, 2016, 05:41 PM
thank you all :D :D

DarkChocolate
December 21st, 2016, 06:34 PM
I love your hair:) It is so pretty:)

Jenny21
December 21st, 2016, 07:07 PM
Your hair looks so good! Do you mind sharing your routine and how you got it to grow despite the breakage? I suffer from breakage as well, so I'd love some tips.

thirstylocks
December 21st, 2016, 07:23 PM
Your hair looks so good! Do you mind sharing your routine and how you got it to grow despite the breakage? I suffer from breakage as well, so I'd love some tips.

I do what most people here do: no chemicals (no bleach, hair dye, hair spray, hair gel, sulfate-free shampoo), and no heat styling. I keep it tied up as often as possible, I put oil in it, I use deep conditioner after every wash, I try to wash my hair no more than twice a week, and I used a TON of leave-in conditioner. All this is STILL not enough so I do have to trim it 2-3 times a year. In the future, I hope I can start eating healthier and drinking more water so the change in my hair can come from within.

pili
December 21st, 2016, 10:18 PM
Congratulations! Your hair looks beautiful!!

Kat-Rinnč Naido
December 21st, 2016, 11:23 PM
Wow congratulations. Your hair is gorgeously healthy. Good luck as you continue your hair growing journey.

Agnes Hannah
December 22nd, 2016, 08:31 AM
You and your hair are both beautiful! congrats on your growth, your persistence and patience has paid off, well done!

TatsuOni
December 22nd, 2016, 09:07 AM
Congrats! Your hair looks beautiful! :)