PDA

View Full Version : Shower hair fall

Borgessa
December 19th, 2016, 08:13 PM
My hair is about APL after trimming a few scraggly ends, I noticed in the shower although I no longer lose the amount before joining the LHC I am worried about the existing damage and causing anymore damage. My hair is broken from wearing a pony tail in the same spot everyday for nearly 5 yrs. I stopped doing this several months ago now. Anywho I digress, okay so in the shower i noticed some strands that came out, broken or what I don't know but they were much shorter than my length, my question is, is that normal to be losing the shorter hairs too, or is this existing damage breaking away, i think I got all the split ends off when i cut several inches off, but then there might be split ends along the shorter baby hairs that have regrown in replacing hairs that have dropped out. Search and destroy not really an option for me as my eye sight is too poor to actually see the ends of my hair, maybe if it gets longer and i can hold it further away lol... Oh the aging process!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 19th, 2016, 08:14 PM
Don't worry, it's normal to lose hair of all lengths in the shower :)

Borgessa
December 19th, 2016, 08:17 PM
Don't worry, it's normal to lose hair of all lengths in the shower :)

Thank you, I have been trying to grow my hair for sooo long without any success now i found this place there is hope, but i'm PARANOID lol.

pili
December 19th, 2016, 08:18 PM
I think hair shed naturally as they age. I want to say every seven years, but I could be wrong about that. Whether the hair is broken or cut or not doesn't matter. It has to do with the age of the hair that follical has been growing. I'm no expert, so someone else may say differently, but I think it's normal to lose the shorter hairs too. It has nothing to do with length.

littlestarface
December 19th, 2016, 08:19 PM
Thank you, I have been trying to grow my hair for sooo long without any success now i found this place there is hope, but i'm PARANOID lol.

Lol, don;t worry I lose the tiny ones too it's normal. Just be gentle and say "hair I don't like you and you don't like me but we gotta work together"

Borgessa
December 19th, 2016, 08:23 PM
Lol, don;t worry I lose the tiny ones too it's normal. Just be gentle and say "hair I don't like you and you don't like me but we gotta work together"

I'm not gonna lie to my hair, I like it, that's why i want it to stay!! I love you hair too, you be proud of my curls today, I tryed that Fox shea butter moisturizing stuff, I must have done something wrong hair did not look good, but feels yummy on my skin, so won't be wasted.. but I had to rewash my hair to get the yucky look out, texture was a bit knotty too, but i haven't combed, i am getting use to my curls and I LOVE them :)

littlestarface
December 19th, 2016, 08:29 PM
I'm not gonna lie to my hair, I like it, that's why i want it to stay!! I love you hair too, you be proud of my curls today, I tryed that Fox shea butter moisturizing stuff, I must have done something wrong hair did not look good, but feels yummy on my skin, so won't be wasted.. but I had to rewash my hair to get the yucky look out, texture was a bit knotty too, but i haven't combed, i am getting use to my curls and I LOVE them :)

Lol well always encourage it. How much did you put in?? If it has shea butter in it should only put a tiny bit and i'd do it on wet hair but I never tried fox's stuff.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 19th, 2016, 08:29 PM
For me it really depends on the last time I brushed. Sometimes I go like, 3 days without combing or detangling my hair because I leave it up 90% of the time and the tangles come out in the shower without me needing to even comb or brush, its kind weird but I accept it lol, and I see so many shed hairs (in my opinion, its probably not much though) in my hands.
I think its the mixture of the scalp massaging, conditioner loosening up hairs that need/want to shed, and then result of prior care. So if you are like me and you keep your hair up most the time, you will see more shed and random hairs in the shower.
Thats my take on it.

Borgessa
December 19th, 2016, 08:44 PM
Lol well always encourage it. How much did you put in?? If it has shea butter in it should only put a tiny bit and i'd do it on wet hair but I never tried fox's stuff.

I put too much in, when i put it in i rubbed it on my hand like i would any oil to put in my hair, it didn't seems to feel any different so i put a bit more. I had used cocoa butter, shea butter and mango butter, coconut, joboia, rose hip and lavender for sent lol.. I may have gone over board!! Plus the conditioner. Feels really good on my skin so i may continue to use it there.

I obviously put too much in my hair, i tried sleeping with a scarf on my head last night, first time ever- dunno how folks do it, that slipped right off lol - I need something too protect my hair at night. I use a bipap machine and i fear the straps of my mask may be causing some damage.

Rebecca I probably lost about 10 hairs, i was just concerned to see the shorter ones there, since i don't have short hair. It is way better than before i use to lose a ton, just cause i didn't know what i was doing. Brushing wet hair, and dry hair, and brush brush brush, brush for everything lol.

HeartofHaleth
December 19th, 2016, 08:53 PM
Just today I lost a hair that was two inches long at most! It had the natural tapered end, so it was just ready to shed early! Just like everybody else said, totally normal. If you're really worried, you can always tell a natural shed hair by checking for the little bulb at the end. Even if you can't see it (since you mentioned bad eyesight), you can run your finger and thumb along the length and feel for a little bump at one of the ends.

antler_tines
December 19th, 2016, 09:14 PM
I also think it is normal for hairs near your face and ears to stay short. I think my hair on my temples has a pretty short life span. They always seem to be falling out and regrowing, I know they grow because I dye with henna and indigo for my greys and that shows again pretty quickly.

Borgessa
December 19th, 2016, 09:19 PM
I also think it is normal for hairs near your face and ears to stay short. I think my hair on my temples has a pretty short life span. They always seem to be falling out and regrowing, I know they grow because I dye with henna and indigo for my greys and that shows again pretty quickly.

That makes a lot of sense, i think this is where the hair breaks the most, its wear i am nursing some damage from my ponytail wearing.. Suddenly bangs started appearing where i didn't rmr putting them in, now hairs ties are only for the ends of my braids lol... I am paranoid I tell you!

Its good to know i'm not the only one heart!

Kat-Rinnč Naido
December 20th, 2016, 04:49 AM
Sometime massaging in the shower also increases shedding in the shower.

Pumpkin3826
December 21st, 2016, 04:35 PM
I used to worry about this same thing before reading more and more on LHC.

It seems like I have so much hair coming out when I shower, but you have to think about how much action your hair sees in the shower. The constant pressure of the water, running out hands through our hair and fluffing it around, there is bound to be a few casualty's. Haha.

I am realizing it is a normal things to shed hairs of all lengths, some just hit there terminal length and chose to jump ship! I hope this puts your mind at ease.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2016, 09:03 AM
I used to worry about this same thing before reading more and more on LHC.

It seems like I have so much hair coming out when I shower, but you have to think about how much action your hair sees in the shower. The constant pressure of the water, running out hands through our hair and fluffing it around, there is bound to be a few casualty's. Haha.

I am realizing it is a normal things to shed hairs of all lengths, some just hit there terminal length and chose to jump ship! I hope this puts your mind at ease.

Yes exactly. I lose most of my hair during my washing routine (pre-wash, during wash, and post-wash). It is a lot of manipulation of the scalp when you wash, which is totally normal.

Having a drain "catcher" is always a good idea, just 1/to see how much you do lose 2/to save your drain. :lol:

lunasea
December 22nd, 2016, 12:38 PM
OMG!!! Without a drain "catcher" I'd need a live-in plummer! :rollin:

Simsy
December 24th, 2016, 12:22 AM
OMG!!! Without a drain "catcher" I'd need a live-in plummer! :rollin:

I get around this by brushing really well before I get in, and finger combing while washing. I lose fairly decent wada of hair in the shower but I can catch most of it before it gets to the drain.

lapushka
December 24th, 2016, 07:41 AM
I get around this by brushing really well before I get in, and finger combing while washing. I lose fairly decent wada of hair in the shower but I can catch most of it before it gets to the drain.

You'd be surprised at how much comes off with the water when you rinse out shampoo, and then (especially) conditioner (because that is slippy). I'd get something to protect your drain, but that's just me. :shrug:

missrandie
December 24th, 2016, 07:48 AM
I used to be the queen of ungunking drains, because we didn't have a hair catcher. I've seen some bad ones. Also, for some reason, my friends always called me when they were having plumbing problems...

I have definitely mitigated it now with a hair catcher. I just wish the nubs didn't hang onto the hair as effectively!

Flipgirl24
December 24th, 2016, 08:18 PM
Get a plastic hair catcher though. The steel ones rust. I get that we lose hair every day but why don't the Grey ones ever fall out? 😯

lapushka
December 25th, 2016, 04:16 AM
Get a plastic hair catcher though. The steel ones rust. I get that we lose hair every day but why don't the Grey ones ever fall out? ��

Yeah, mine are a tad rusty (few specks). Anyway, I have a few in my stash, for when these are on the fritz. So, no biggie.

I tend to lose some white ones in there as well, the problem is they are so hard to see on a white sink/bath! So cleanup (which is not for me) sucks.

emptyque
December 27th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Get a plastic hair catcher though. The steel ones rust. I get that we lose hair every day but why don't the Grey ones ever fall out? 😯

I'd also recommend getting one that sits inside the drain rather than on top of it. I got one that goes over the drain and most of the hair goes right under it.