PDA

View Full Version : A very thin almost bald area....what to do??

plainjanegirl
October 21st, 2008, 11:28 PM
After I finished fixing my hair today when I checked the back in the mirror I noticed some thin spots (which I have been having some thinning and always have to check certain spots to try to cover them up by moving hair over) . So anyways then I lifted up my braid and I have a big section that is so thin you can see the scalp. When I pointed this out to my family they said they have noticed this for years (and I am thinking then why didn't they say something), but I have never ever seen it look this bad. Any suggestions on what I should do??? I have heard castor oil can help with hair loss, but I have never heard anyone on here mention it. If anybody has had a problem like this and overcame it please feel free to tell me what helped you and if you have any before or after pics. I am only 24 so this really bothers me. Well I hope I get some ideas on what to do soon.

Arctic_Mama
October 21st, 2008, 11:56 PM
Get your hormones checked out by an endocrinologist. Seriously, healthy young women without a family history of female pattern baldness don't just lose large clumps of hair and thin out like that without an underlying problem - like a thyroid issue or zinc deficiency.

With something like this I definitely suggest working top-down, eliminate the most serious possible problems first and then try other techniques or treatments if those turn out fine.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what's going on. I hope it is something that simple supplementation can fix!

ChloeDharma
October 22nd, 2008, 04:25 AM
Get your hormones checked out by an endocrinologist. Seriously, healthy young women without a family history of female pattern baldness don't just lose large clumps of hair and thin out like that without an underlying problem - like a thyroid issue or zinc deficiency.

With something like this I definitely suggest working top-down, eliminate the most serious possible problems first and then try other techniques or treatments if those turn out fine.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what's going on. I hope it is something that simple supplementation can fix!

I absolutely agree, definately get checked out with a doctor.....though from what you describe your hairloss sounds a bit like alopecia areata which i hate to tell you, but is quite hard to treat. That doesn't mean impossible though.
The essential oils blend often quoted as being shown to reduce hairloss was actually studied in relation to alopecia areata.
If you check on the recipes board there are a few threads on castor oil, but if you check the old boards there are loads of threads on castor oil. If you do try it then i recommend mixing it with something like coconut or sweet almond oil because it's quite thick and sticky.
These threads might interest you too

http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11251

http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001

http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11192

http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11208

http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8939

I was also reading last night about using onion and garlic to treat hairloss and it seemed very promising.
HTH

Melisande
October 22nd, 2008, 05:48 AM
I agree with the others, you should check it out with a doctor, and I recommend the essential oil mixture. I use it for over a year at least twice a week and I have had an increase of 2cm in nape-measured circumference (admittedly outgrowing layers may have added to that!).

Please send a picture. Maybe all you have is the unnerving but harmless "scalp cleavage", a spot where the hair parts naturally and the scalp shows. I have such a thing and hate it. I always have to work my way around it when I Frenchbraid my hair, otherwise this ugly part will pull a whole bunch of hair to expose my scalp and it looks really really ugly.

I massage this area obsessively with essential oil but I guess a natural hairgrowth pattern cannot be changed. Just like a cowlick - you have to live with it.

joyfulmom4
October 22nd, 2008, 07:49 AM
Do check with your doctor. As others have said, it could be alopecia.

Otoh, if your family has noticed it for years, it's somewhat reassuring b/c it obviously hasn't been changing tremendously, iykwim. From what I know about alopecia areata (admittedly not a whole lot, but some basic medical knowledge) it's a progressive thing and it would be unlikely that an individual with alopecia would have a small thin area in the same spot for years that did not change or changed very little.

You might consider whether hair is being pulled or broken excessively in that spot, which could lead to thinning. If you look closely at the scalp in that area, do you see new hairs coming in or broken hairs or short hairs of different lengths? Those would be signs of thinning due to pulling.

Hormonal (ie: thyroid, etc) causes would tend to cause increased loss of hair all over, but if you were tending to lose more hair and there were some areas where there was greater traction, then those areas might thin faster/more.

If you tug gently on hair in that area and on the rest of your scalp, do you notice that it pulls out more easily than it should?

Your dermatologist can examine the hair on your scalp and the thinning areas and can also examine the loose hairs under magnification and look at the base of the hairs to see the appearance and that will tell them something about the type of hair loss. I can't remember the specifics about this, but there's a different appearance at the root of the hair depending on the cause of hair loss and cycle the hair was in when it came out.

One other thought is that you may have a congenital thin spot. I actually have a quarter-sized spot on the side of my head just a few inches back from my temple that is completely and totally BALD. It's weird, but it's been there all my life since infancy and has never changed. It is super smooth and the most soft delicate skin you can imagine. I guess having no hair follicles makes skin really, really soft. I discussed it with a dermatologist once and he offered to excise it for me. He could just cut the bald spot out and pull the skin back together at the edges and I'd be left with just a very fine scar and cure my bald spot. I thought about it, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I suppose that's weird of me, but I guess I'm emotionally attached to that spot. As much as it irritates me when it pops up as I'm styling my hair (mostly only notice it when making french braids) I just can't quite bring myself to remove it. I've had it since birth. I'm 40 now. It's a part of me. Shrug...

Good luck sorting out what's going on with your hair.

ChloeDharma
October 22nd, 2008, 08:38 AM
I just found this article explaining about the onion thing and talks about the role of sulphur specifically mentioning alopecia areata
http://www.stopnowhairloss.com/2008/06/06/more-on-hair-restoring-properties-of-onion/

aries
October 22nd, 2008, 08:41 AM
I would also check with your doctor before anything. I was having severe hair loss for unexplained reasons for quite sometime and finally got diagnosed with hypothyroidism. After treatment started, the fall out slowed way down. I really was worried I was going to go bald. I tried the oils for hair loss and they didn't help at all due to this being a hormone issue.

I wear my hair up all the time and didn't notice thinning more in one area than an other but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen with thyroid. Please get checked as soon as you can.

Do you vary where you wear your hair at on your head? That can cause this problem as well. I move my braids and buns on a daily basis so I don't add stress to my scalp in one area.

Sorry if I'm not much help but thought I'd give a little insight with my thyroid hair fall. This way you can see if there are any likenesses with your issue.

plainjanegirl
October 23rd, 2008, 08:48 AM
I had gone to the dr. back in the summer regarding other problems I was having. So she did a blood test testing for thyroid, diabetes, etc. But she said all the tests came back normal. Like I said in the previous post I have to go the dr. Friday so I am gonna bring this to her attention and see what she says....if she brushes it off then I guess I will try oils or monistat and some type of vitamins. My family told me yesterday that maybe the way I eat has something to do with it....cause I tend to snack alot and it's normally junk food....I may eat one good meal (supper normally) sometimes but it's hard to make a meal for just myself cause kids won't eat the stuff I would eat.

plainjanegirl
October 23rd, 2008, 08:48 AM
My camera batteries are being charged. So I will post pics later today.

plainjanegirl
October 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1967&pictureid=23664

There are more pictures in my album. Looking at these pics just makes me sick. Something cannot be right, but how do I get my dr. to do something.

Redheaded Raven
October 23rd, 2008, 11:15 PM
I agree that you need to have things checked out, but find a Dr. that is experienced with hair and hormonal issues and such. Studies have shown that celiacs have a high incidence of alopecia areata. It has to do with the amount of auto immune diseases that they can end up with the longer that it isn't diagnosed and it is very often missed. Other allergies can cause the same problems. Good luck in your search.

Arctic_Mama
October 24th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I commented on your album but I doubt that is normal considering how thick the rest of your hair is, if it's not your thyroid there are still other things to check. Big hugs to you, I know balding in patches can be extremely stressful - which STINKS when stress is a big trigger of hair loss in some women :grouphug:

Angelica
October 24th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Hi. I have been following this thread and really feel sorry about what you are experiencing *hugs.*

The type of loss it looks like is very similar to what has happened to my mother. The difference is though she is an old woman, has had a lot of stress in her life (not saying you haven't though) her hair has always been weak and thin (family genetics and things) and also she had a very bad experience with a perm some time ago that caused breakage and after that the hair sort of went into shock I would say and the loss became rapid.

The doctor will not do anything - he said it was her age. My mother has accepted her condition.

I can only say what I would do.

I would cease updos like buns. Probably resort to loose braids or a loosely tied ponytail.

Then if the GP did not refer me to one, I would pay privately and see a trichologist.

I hear a lot of people talking about dermatologist - but I can see nothing wrong with your scalp's condition. I admit not being an expert, but then a dermatologist deals with skin whereas I believe a trichologist deals with both scalp and hair conditions.

We have trichologists in UK and hair clinics, I am sure where you are there are these around as well.

You really do need expert advice and I don't think you should attempt anything like self-treatment until you get a proper diagnosis.

From what I understand, alopecia happens in patches but this does not look like a patch.

I do hope you see someone who can make a diagnosis and therefore treatment the condition.

I wish you all the best.

Darkhorse1
October 24th, 2008, 05:31 AM
I just wanted to ask--are you sure that is not your normal hairline? The rest of your hair is gorgeous, so my thinking is is that it could be stress related. I shed a lot of hair when I was very, very stressed, and the good news is it grows back (whew!).

Definetly see your doctor to make sure there isn't something else wrong, and keep your hair in gentler 'dos', to alleviate any excess pulling.

Good luck! :)

plainjanegirl
October 24th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Well I have had alot of stress what with 2 small kids, trying to find a job, separation and possibly divorce, etc. So with all this and I still have extra weight from the kids and can not get motivated to even try to lose that. Can't find a job...I found one but after 2 weeks they had to lay me off cause their business was slow. So yes I am stressed and at times have felt like I am gonna have a breakdown. I go to the family dr. today so we'll start there and see what happens.

Angelica
October 24th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I am so sorry again for what you are going through. Unfortunately stress does take its toll upon the hair sometimes. Stress affects people in so many different ways.

I hope the doctor can help you or put you in the right direction in getting the help you need :)

plainjanegirl
October 25th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Well I am NOT trying to self diagnose myself here. Didn't get to go to the dr. yesterday cause I had sick kids who needed to go to the dr. But I will be going to the dr. this week. I have been wondering if maybe I haven't had alot of hair in that area for a long time but I went on birth control this year for the first time so maybe it has messed up my hormones or something. I hope if that was the case I could be given something to help against it. But I guess we will see. I am holding off trying monistat or castor oil or anything like that till after I see the dr. I know I need to get started on some good vitamins too....right now I am not taking any vitamins. I read on another thread about a jello type drink and I don;t see how any harm would be done if I found that.

jera
October 25th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear about your problem. :( Stress is such a killer. I second the vote for trying onion juice. Good nutrition and fitness has helped me through stress related autoimmune illnesses and major hair sheds.

I'd also try garlic, both in your food if you like it and the odorless kind as a supplement. EO can help both your scalp and your stress issues. Try something soothing like lilac or lavendar and rub it into your pulse points.

Finally, find out if your birth control pill is largely estrogen and if it is, discuss other birth control options with your physician. Too much estrogen can make a woman's hair fall out really badly and very fast.

Good luck and hugs. ;)

EvaSimone
October 25th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Honestly I doubt that is your natural hairline and your doctor should be concerned.

I had a doctor that told me my iron levels were normal for 2 years... only when they dropped down to super low did he mention that really they had always been low but just not low enough for him to worry. Needless to say I don't trust medical professionals very much...

I am wondering if you show her your hair and the spot if that would help motivate her to look into things because I doubt that is your natural hairline.

Perhaps it is stress related but you still deserve to have a doctor look very thoroughly into what is going on with your hair.

Also just as an FYI thyroid problems are often very hard to spot even with a blood test because sometimes they will come back normal even when you have an issue.

Well I am sorry you have been having so much stress :grouphug: and I hope everything becomes better!

Please keep us posted :)

plainjanegirl
November 10th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Ok here is an update. I went to the dr. and she thinks that I have some dandruff and she said that can contribute to hair loss. SO she wants me to use Head and Shoulders. When I asked her if my hair would grow back in the balding spot in the back she told me it would. I am supposed to check back with her in a month. So has anybody heard of dandruff causing hair loss??? I have been washing my hair twice a week now. Should I keep it at that or should I increase my washings? I guess I will get a head and shoulders shampoo and also a conditioner. Can these be drying to your hair? I hope not cause I fight dryness alot with my hair. Well I guess we'll see if this helps. I hope so.

ktani
November 10th, 2008, 12:20 PM
This is the only decent article on dandruff that I could find, IMO. The information is by the Mayo Clinic, is not technical and is an easy read (my preference for information). It lists different dandruff shampoo options by name (one may be less drying than another), recommends how often to wash you hair, how to best use a dandruff shampoo, has dietary supplement suggestions and more. I hope this helps. Head & Shoulders has 2 dandruff conditioners for different hair types (they are not mentioned in the article). P&G, which owns Head and Shoulders, also owns Pantene, which you have said that you like in your rotation. I wish you well. It indexed, for easy reference.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dandruff/DS00456

girlcat36
November 11th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I was going to suggest the possibilty of a fungus causing your problem. And yes, dandruff can be caused by a fungus. Selsun Blue is a good antifungal shampoo. Your hairline looks mine did after my hair fell out from radiation treatment.
The good thing here is that the rest of your hair is so thick, the thin area can be easily hidden with half-ups.

plainjanegirl
November 11th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I was going to suggest the possibilty of a fungus causing your problem. And yes, dandruff can be caused by a fungus. Selsun Blue is a good antifungal shampoo. Your hairline looks mine did after my hair fell out from radiation treatment.
The good thing here is that the rest of your hair is so thick, the thin area can be easily hidden with half-ups.

I haven't had any type of radiation or anything.
Even though I am skeptical I did buy some Head and Shoulders yesterday.
So are all dandruff shampoos antifungul?
Yes I count myself lucky that it can be hidden by wearing my hair loose or in a half up. I am worried that my hair will become more damaged from wearing it loose but before I found these boards I wore it loose the majority of the time.
Now surely a loose braid would be ok at night or loose scrunchys down the length cause I had major tangles this morning.
I have also been reading on the monistat thread and isn't it an antifungul?

plainjanegirl
November 11th, 2008, 04:16 PM
This is the only decent article on dandruff that I could find, IMO. The information is from the Mayo Clinic, is not technical and is an easy read (my preference for information). It lists different dandruff shampoo options by name (one may be less drying than another), recommends how often to wash you hair, how to best use a dandruff shampoo, has dietary supplement suggestions and more. I hope this helps. Head & Shoulders has 2 dandruff conditioners for different hair types (they are not mentioned in the article). P&G, which owns Head and Shoulders, also owns Pantene, which you have said that you like in your rotation. I wish you well.
http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00456.html

Here is the original article indexed, for easy reference.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dandruff/DS00456

Thanks for the link to the article. Parts of it were helpful. It did mention leaving it on for at least 5 minutes which is what someone on another board mentioned to me. I got the 2in1 cause my opinion would be that if I were to leave it on my scalp for 5 minutes if it were not straight shampoo it would not be as harsh.

girlcat36
November 11th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I haven't had any type of radiation or anything.
Even though I am skeptical I did buy some Head and Shoulders yesterday.
So are all dandruff shampoos antifungul?
Yes I count myself lucky that it can be hidden by wearing my hair loose or in a half up. I am worried that my hair will become more damaged from wearing it loose but before I found these boards I wore it loose the majority of the time.
Now surely a loose braid would be ok at night or loose scrunchys down the length cause I had major tangles this morning.
I have also been reading on the monistat thread and isn't it an antifungul?

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you radiation! I was just surprised that your hairline looked the same way mine did! It's a very 'unique' look.
Possibly all dandruff shampoos are antifungal, but I'm not sure. I did have great success with Selson Blue on a fungal skin disorder(tinea versicolor) that I had on my arms.
Monistat is an antifungal, and I use it along with a homemade antifungal scalp massage oil.
I lost a lot of hair due to chemo and radiation, but before that had problems for years with thinning, brittle hair; which I now suspect was fungal-related.

ktani
November 11th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the link to the article. Parts of it were helpful. It did mention leaving it on for at least 5 minutes which is what someone on another board mentioned to me. I got the 2in1 cause my opinion would be that if I were to leave it on my scalp for 5 minutes if it were not straight shampoo it would not be as harsh.

You are most welcome.

Good thinking on your part about the 2in1. That is smart IMO. If you are unhappy with the Head & Shoulders, at least the article names other types of shampoo and other brand names to try.

plainjanegirl
November 11th, 2008, 06:14 PM
You are most welcome.

Good thinking on your part about the 2in1. That is smart IMO. If you are unhappy with the Head & Shoulders, at least the article names other types of shampoo and other brand names to try.

I just wanna say thanks again. And yes I will refer back to that link if my hair does not agree with the head and shoulders.....you know how hair can be....if it does not like it then I can't do anything about it.:)

plainjanegirl
November 11th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you radiation! I was just surprised that your hairline looked the same way mine did! It's a very 'unique' look.
Possibly all dandruff shampoos are antifungal, but I'm not sure. I did have great success with Selson Blue on a fungal skin disorder(tinea versicolor) that I had on my arms.
Monistat is an antifungal, and I use it along with a homemade antifungal scalp massage oil.
I lost a lot of hair due to chemo and radiation, but before that had problems for years with thinning, brittle hair; which I now suspect was fungal-related.

I will have to remember to try the Selsun Blue if the head and shoulders does not help.
Also I am gonna have to look at that article ktani posted and see if it lists the head and shoulders as an anti fungul like the selsun.
Yes it is a unique hair loss. In all the searches I have done I don't come up with any pictures that are like mine.
What goes in your scalp oil?
So did your dr. diagnose your hair or scalp as having the fungus?
Well thanks for any and all help!!

girlcat36
November 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM
No, my scalp problems were not diagnosed by a doctor. Nobody really cared thaat my hair was thinning, and all blood tests were in normal range. For years(before chemo,etc.) my hair would not grow, kept thinning, and my scalp was itchy and sometimes sore. I never had dandruff flakes, though.
Since I had problems with fungal overgrowth in other parts of my body(nails, skin, digestive, urinary tract), it made sense to me that my hair problems could be fungal. I just found out that I do have an allergy to candida(yeast); this was diagnosed by a doctor.
You also could try brushing a BBB over the thinning area to stimulate blood flow to that area. I am currently using a BBB on just my scalp. I put my hair in a ponytail and run the brush over my scalp only.

ktani
November 11th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I just wanna say thanks again. And yes I will refer back to that link if my hair does not agree with the head and shoulders.....you know how hair can be....if it does not like it then I can't do anything about it.:)

You are welcome again.

The 2nd link is easier to follow, in terms of what you my need to refer back to, like this, where it tells you what the treatments/shampoos do. I completely agree about hair and how it can react to products.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dandruff/DS00456/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

ktani
November 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM
This article from 2005, is very LHC oriented IMO, in terms of haircare but is about dandruff and hair loss too.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/27956.php

GlassEyes
November 11th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Both Henna and tea tree oil are supposed to help dandruff, I believe, but I'm not entirely sure.

Catherine from Henna for hair says that it's supposed to help, but everyone here takes what she says with a grain of salt, but I'm fairly sure about the tea tree oil. Maybe someone with experience will pop in?

ktani
November 11th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Both Henna and tea tree oil are supposed to help dandruff, I believe, but I'm not entirely sure.

Catherine from Henna for hair says that it's supposed to help, but everyone here takes what she says with a grain of salt, but I'm fairly sure about the tea tree oil. Maybe someone with experience will pop in?

Tea tree oil is in the article I posted by the Mayo Clinic, under "Alternative medicine".
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dandruff/DS00456/DSECTION=alternative-medicine

ktani
November 11th, 2008, 08:54 PM

Tea tree oil has safety issues.

".... used on the skin, tea tree oil may cause allergic rash, redness, blistering, and itching. This may be particularly severe in people with pre-existing skin conditions such as eczema.

.... Not enough scientific information is available to recommend tea tree oil during pregnancy or breastfeeding."

Dandruff
Early research reports .... use of 5% tea tree oil shampoo on mild-to-moderate dandruff may be effective and well tolerated. Further research is needed to confirm these results."
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-teatreeoil.html#Safety

ktani
November 11th, 2008, 08:58 PM
"The most effective dandruff shampoos and conditioners contain zinc pyrithione," advised Dr. Draelos. "These ingredients leave behind thin plate-like pieces of medicine on the scalp to prevent regrowth of the fungus, thus acting as a preventive measure for both dandruff and the hair loss associated with scratching."

This is the ingredient in Head & Shoulders and similar shampoos. It is by no means restricted to Head & Shoulders. The Mayo Clinic article mentioned a Suave dandruff shampoo as well. This is the ingredient to look for, IMO.

ktani
November 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Plainjanegirl

I just checked both Mayo Clinic links. There is at least one difference under treatments. The first link has Suave Dandruff Control shampoo and Head and Shoulders for the best ingredient, the second lists Selsun Salon Shampoo but not Suave. So you may have to go back and forth between them if the Head & Shoulders does not work out. Other brands also contain that ingredient though. I do not think that the names mentioned are meant to be a definitive list.

ktani
November 11th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Sloan Kettering on tea tree oil 2008

"Clinical Summary

.... Tea tree oil should only be used topically. .... Oral consumption has resulted in serious adverse events including coma ....
Skin irritation and hypersensitivity reactions have been reported following topical administration ....

Adverse Reactions

Reported (topical): Local skin irritation and allergic contact dermatitis ...."
http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69396.cfm

It reads like one of those drug commercials with the side effect voice overs at the end.

Melisande
November 11th, 2008, 09:31 PM
How are you now? On the German forum, I read the story of a young woman who had just the same bald spot that you have. Her dermatologist treated her with injections, and her hair grew back beautifully. If you are interested, I can check what exactly was done.

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 06:54 AM
How are you now? On the German forum, I read the story of a young woman who had just the same bald spot that you have. Her dermatologist treated her with injections, and her hair grew back beautifully. If you are interested, I can check what exactly was done.

I for one, am curious. Please do give details.

plainjanegirl
November 12th, 2008, 08:21 AM

Yes I would like it if you could give us this info.
How do you even go about finding a dermatologist? I don't know if my insurance will cover one. What is a dermatologist?? Is it just a special dr. who specializes in hair and scalp?

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 08:50 AM
How do you even go about finding a dermatologist? I don't know if my insurance will cover one. What is a dermatologist?? Is it just a special dr. who specializes in hair and scalp?

Here is some information on dermatology.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatology

One of the new links I gave you last night, has a top dermatologist's answers to questions on dandruff and more. This one.

I do not know how it works where you are but here in Canada, your doctor refers you to a specialist like a dermatologist and you make an appointment. You cannot just call on your own, without the name of the doctor that referred you. If it comes to that, your doctor should be able to help you. As to your insurance, again your doctor may know or you may have to just call your insurance agent.

Darkhorse1
November 12th, 2008, 09:48 AM
A dermatologist is a skin specialist. They treat any part of the body that has affected skin and have been trained to know what different skin conditions are.

I've been having trouble with dandruff and noticed some thinned areas. Fact 1. It WILL Grow back, fact 2. My doctor sent me to a dermatologist, but I couldn't afford the shampoo reccomended. Saw my doc on Monday, and she suggested Selsum or Selsun Blue. I'm getting some tonight. I'll let you know how it works.

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 09:59 AM
From the Cnn/Mayo Clinic link

"Zinc pyrithione shampoos (Suave Dandruff Control Shampoo, Head & Shoulders). These contain the antibacterial and antifungal agent zinc pyrithione, which has been shown to reduce the fungus that causes dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis.

Tar-based shampoos (Neutrogena T/Gel, Tegrin). Coal tar, a byproduct of the coal manufacturing process, helps conditions such as dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis by slowing cell turnover. But coal tar has an "earthy" smell, can give light-colored hair an orange tint and may make treated skin more sensitive to sunlight.

Shampoos containing salicylic acid (Ionil T). These "scalp scrubs" help eliminate scale, but they may leave your scalp dry, leading to more flaking. Using a conditioner after shampooing can help counter dryness.

Selenium sulfide shampoos (Selsun, Exsel). These shampoos help prevent cell turnover and may also reduce the number of malassezia. Because they can discolor blonde, gray or chemically colored hair, be sure to use them only as directed and to rinse well after shampooing.

Ketoconazole shampoos (Nizoral). The newest addition to the dandruff armamentarium, ketoconazole is a broad-spectrum antifungal agent that may work when other shampoos fail. It's available over-the-counter as well as by prescription."

Darkhorse1
November 12th, 2008, 10:00 AM
http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_113.htm

Interesting link with photos

Darkhorse1
November 12th, 2008, 10:04 AM
www.selsunblue.com

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 10:08 AM
More from P&G
"Myths and Facts
Dandruff can only be found on the hair and head. FACT – Dandruff flakes are normally found on the head and hair. Interestingly, flakes are three times more likely to appear on the back of the head than the front or sides. This is believed to be caused by consumer wash habits."
http://www.pgbeautyscience.com/breakthroughs-vi.html

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Selenium sulfidne side effects

"Selenium sulfide may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
oiliness or dryness of hair and scalp
hair loss
hair discoloration
Brand names

Exsel®
Head and Shoulders Intensive Treatment Dandruff Shampoo®
Selsun®
Selsun Blue®"
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682258.html

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Zinc pyrithione side effects

" No COMMON side effects have been reported with Pyrithione Zinc Shampoo. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing (http://www.drugs.com/cdi/pyrithione-zinc-shampoo.html#); tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); skin irritation."
http://www.drugs.com/cdi/pyrithione-zinc-shampoo.html

Zinc pyrithione is in all of the Head & Shoulder shampoos. The Intensive Treatment one has selenium sulfide.

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Selenium sulfide side effects

"Skin irritation, dry skin, oily or dry hair/scalp, or temporary hair loss may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, discontinue use and consult your doctor or pharmacist promptly. Hair discoloration may occur and can be reduced by carefully rinsing the hair thoroughly after each treatment. .... Brand names: Dandrex, Exsel, Selsun Blue"
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-8706-Selenium+Sulfide+Top.aspx?drugid=8706&drugname=Selenium+Sulfide+Top

It will treat dandruff but in the case of hair loss or thinning that is already present, I think the possible side effects are counterproductive.

Melisande
November 12th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I asked the young lady from the German forum for advice, and she graciously shared her experiences with me.

Stress may trigger sheds but I don't think normal stress levels are enough. It is important to try and find some inner peace but that's easier said than done.

After the hairdresser discovered my bald spot I immediately began to inform myself about nutritional supplements and to take the things I thought might help. Over time, I added brewer's yeast, biotin, silica, zinc, pollen, spirulina algae, gelatine, black cumin seed oil, omega 3 and mineral salts (after the teachings of Dr. Schuessler, quite popular in Germany).

Although I read that alopecia areata cannot be treated with nutritional supplements but you never know...

Then I went to see a thyroid specialist and received medication against my hypothyroidism. I'm certain that this hypofunction of the thyroid played an important role.

Last not least I went to see a dermatologist. He treated me with injections and cortisone foam.

I'd advocate a visit to a dermatologist, and a thorough check of the thyroid. Brewer's yeast, biotin and zinc are beneficial, too.

I remember there was a time when I resigned and even sometimes forgot that I have alopecia areata. Maybe this helped, too. Maybe it grows back when you just leave it alone... but in every case, the development is different, so I can't tell.

She sends you her best regards and regrets her English is too rusty for communicating directly. But you are invited to ask if you have further questions.

By the way, she has a most glorious red mane and you would never guess that she had bald spot larger than yours and at the same spot. It's relatively easy to cover it and I'm sure people who see you don't notice it.

Sorry for my own clumsy English. :rolleyes:

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I asked the young lady from the German forum for advice, and she graciously shared her experiences with me.

Stress may trigger sheds but I don't think normal stress levels are enough. It is important to try and find some inner peace but that's easier said than done.

After the hairdresser discovered my bald spot I immediately began to inform myself about nutritional supplements and to take the things I thought might help. Over time, I added brewer's yeast, biotin, silica, zinc, pollen, spirulina algae, gelatine, black cumin seed oil, omega 3 and mineral salts (after the teachings of Dr. Schuessler, quite popular in Germany).

Although I read that alopecia areata cannot be treated with nutritional supplements but you never know...

Then I went to see a thyroid specialist and received medication against my hypothyroidism. I'm certain that this hypofunction of the thyroid played an important role.

Last not least I went to see a dermatologist. He treated me with injections and cortisone foam.

I'd advocate a visit to a dermatologist, and a thorough check of the thyroid. Brewer's yeast, biotin and zinc are beneficial, too.

I remember there was a time when I resigned and even sometimes forgot that I have alopecia areata. Maybe this helped, too. Maybe it grows back when you just leave it alone... but in every case, the development is different, so I can't tell.
She sends you her best regards and regrets her English is too rusty for communicating directly. But you are invited to ask if you have further questions.

By the way, she has a most glorious red mane and you would never guess that she had bald spot larger than yours and at the same spot. It's relatively easy to cover it and I'm sure people who see you don't notice it.

WOW!

Your English is perfect IMO.

This is also a perfect example of how the right medical diagnosis, treatment and dietary supplementation can go hand in hand to resolve a problem. Each case is different though.

I agree that further tests and medical interventon may be required and should be considered if dandruff shampoo is not sufficient to deal with the problem.

plainjanegirl
November 12th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I guess since my dr. wanted to see me back in a month that she will see if it looks different and go from there. ?

plainjanegirl
November 12th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Your English is not bad.
I am glad she got all of hers sorted out.
If I have questions I will definately message you.
Thanks bunches!!!!

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I guess since my dr. wanted to see me back in a month that she will see if it looks different and go from there. ?

In my experience, doctors eliminate possible causes of problems one step at a time. In your case, your doctor is trained to see and did notice the dandruff. It makes sense to me to try the least invasive, easiest and least expensive treatment first and go from there, exactly as you say.

Darkhorse1
November 12th, 2008, 01:37 PM
In my case, my dandruff is at the front of my head, and P&G are wrong--dandruff can also affect the eyebrows in extreeme cases. In my case, however, I wash my hair by flipping it over, so that would make sense--if I washed it in the shower, I'd probably have it at the back of my head.

Zinc didn't work for my needs, so I'm trying Selsun Blue. (at my doctor's expertise). I believe it says on the bottle, if you bleach your hair, it can cause discoloration. They now have Selsun Blue 'naturals', which are 'clear' shampoos, which would not discolor hair. I have pretty dark hair, so I don't think I'll look like a smurf if I use the blue stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandruff

Darkhorse1
November 12th, 2008, 01:42 PM
http://www.medicinenet.com/seborrhea/article.htm#

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 01:43 PM
In my case, my dandruff is at the front of my head, and P&G are wrong--dandruff can also affect the eyebrows in extreeme cases. In my case, however, I wash my hair by flipping it over, so that would make sense--if I washed it in the shower, I'd probably have it at the back of my head.

Zinc didn't work for my needs, so I'm trying Selsun Blue. (at my doctor's expertise). I believe it says on the bottle, if you bleach your hair, it can cause discoloration. They now have Selsun Blue 'naturals', which are 'clear' shampoos, which would not discolor hair. I have pretty dark hair, so I don't think I'll look like a smurf if I use the blue stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandruff

Being a vendor, P&G is not my preferred choice for information but they do have some interesting information, IMO.

If your doctor recommends Selsun, by all means use it, I would.

I was actually searching for a reference to selenium sulfide and hair damage that I heard about years ago when I found the other information. Not everyone gets any or all side effects.

Darkhorse1
November 12th, 2008, 01:45 PM
No probs K! I'm a bit leery about trying selsun blue, but if it causes hair loss, I just won't use it. I'm hoping they have the naturals from selsun blue as I prefer a clear shampoo.

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 01:50 PM
No probs K! I'm a bit leery about trying selsun blue, but if it causes hair loss, I just won't use it. I'm hoping they have the naturals from selsun blue as I prefer a clear shampoo.

I stopped searching for the other reference. I just think that if there are other options to zinc and selenium sulfide, I would pefer to try them first. Selenium sulfide would be my last option.

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 01:53 PM
"Ketoconazole shampoos (Nizoral). The newest addition to the dandruff armamentarium, ketoconazole is a broad-spectrum antifungal agent that may work when other shampoos fail. It's available over-the-counter as well as by prescription."

A number of people on the boards have reported success with this.

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Side effects

".... Ketoconazole is generally well tolerated. Ketoconazole can cause rash, itching, nausea and/or vomiting, abdominal pain, headache, dizziness (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=8004), fatigue, impotence (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=395), and blood count abnormalities. Rarely, ketoconazole has caused a reaction resulting in serious lowering of the blood pressure and shock (anaphylaxis (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=12953)). Also rarely, ketoconazole has caused severe depression (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=342), hair loss (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=10560), and tingling sensations. Ketoconazole shampoo has been reported to result in loss of curl of permanently waved hair."
http://www.medicinenet.com/ketoconazole/article.htm

Nothing is easy these days it seems.

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 02:19 PM
"Ketoconazole topical side effects

Get emergency medical help .... any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using ketoconazole topical and call your doctor if you have any of these serious side effects: severe itching, burning, or irritation where the medicine is applied; oily or dry scalp, mild hair loss; redness, pain, or oozing of treated skin areas; or eye redness, swelling, or irritation.

Less serious side effects include: mild skin itching or irritation; dry skin; or headache"
http://www.drugs.com/mtm/ketoconazole-topical.html

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
This thread just got revived. It is one of the more unusual options but I have no comment other than that. It depends on individual circumstances and results.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=720

heidi w.
November 12th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I'm going to post even though I'm not sure. I think you need to see a specialist about this. Not a regular doctor, not a dermatologist.

This actually looks to me like it's more connected to a type of alopecia. Not all alopecia advances. It looks to me that you have no hair follicles in the area. Or that they've shut down for some reason.

Dandruff would not cause this kind of hair loss so specific. It would have to be a VERY VERY VERY bad case of dandruff. Yes, dandruff can cause hair loss from the irritation and one's itching, but generally not on this scale.

Did you have hair more thickly in this zonage before?
Do you have any comparison pictures?

I think seeing someone who can analyze the situation of why you have hair loss would be helpful. Most more average doctors do NOT understand hair, growth and reasons for loss. You need to see someone who specializes in hair loss. You might be eligible for those injections. Some new therapies have come out for alopecia sufferers and injections is one of them.

The area looks devoid of hair suggesting hair follicles dead or non-existent. My money's on they're dead for some reason, and could be just part of what you're born with unfortunately.

I know that's an unpopular view. And I feel bad suggesting the possibility.
heidi w.

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I'm going to post even though I'm not sure. I think you need to see a specialist about this. Not a regular doctor, not a dermatologist.

This actually looks to me like it's more connected to a type of alopecia. Not all alopecia advances. It looks to me that you have no hair follicles in the area. Or that they've shut down for some reason.

Dandruff would not cause this kind of hair loss so specific. It would have to be a VERY VERY VERY bad case of dandruff. Yes, dandruff can cause hair loss from the irritation and one's itching, but generally not on this scale.

Did you have hair more thickly in this zonage before?
Do you have any comparison pictures?

I think seeing someone who can analyze the situation of why you have hair loss would be helpful. Most more average doctors do NOT understand hair, growth and reasons for loss. You need to see someone who specializes in hair loss. You might be eligible for those injections. Some new therapies have come out for alopecia sufferers and injections is one of them.

The area looks devoid of hair suggesting hair follicles dead or non-existent. My money's on they're dead for some reason, and could be just part of what you're born with unfortunately.

I know that's an unpopular view. And I feel bad suggesting the possibility.
heidi w.

I was initially going to suggest the same thing but her doctor is a trained, licensed professional and did see her in person. I agree that it does look like something else but close-up and personal is a better way to see what is actually going on.

There are a number of options and possible causes and I also agree that specialists may be the next route to take.

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 03:17 PM
heidi w.

Maybe you can answer this. Here in Canada, you can only see certain specialists when referred to by a doctor, like a family practitioner. What specialists are you referring to exactly and how does one access them in the U.S.?

heidi w.
November 12th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Well what you're talking about is basically an HMO (in the US System) where one sees a doctor and then within that program/plan they are referred to specialists as deemed necessary by the primary care physician.

In the US there's the HMO as you describe, sorta (Canada health care is different than US)

There's often enough PPO plans which means you can visit anyone you want without pre-approval, even a specialist, within the plan. You pay a little more.

You can also then visit out-of-network for a different payment scheme.

Then you can go see anyone you want anytime you want, so long as you can afford to pay so&so. ETA: Everyone in the US is free to do so regardless of insurance coverage or not.

I'm thinking of a hair loss business of sorts (there are some very quality programs out there....)

I have no idea of the quality of these folks, but it gives an example
http://www.hairlossspecialists.com/

Actually I'm thinking of a TRICHOLOGIST
There are a few in the US

Philip Kingsley is quite well known, and he has a NY location in the US
http://www.philipkingsley.com/clinics
(this means major bucks though. I once called and learned the visit itself wasn't that bad -- it was getting to NY that was the problem)

Some who work in the hair loss business may be a bonified doctor with a trichologist type training.

heidi w.

hennabrain
November 12th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Another idea: hormonal birth control can cause thinning hair. The OP might consider a visit to a reproductive endocrinologist to test for levels of hormones other than thyroid, and possibly - if the dandruff shampoo doesn't work and her doctor does not provide a solution - switch birth control methods to something less invasive.

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Well what you're talking about is basically an HMO where one sees a doctor and then within that program/plan they are referred to specialists as deemed necessary by the primary care physician.

In the US there's the HMO as you describe, sorta (Canada health care is different than US)

There's often enough PPO plans which means you can visit anyone you want without pre-approval, even a specialist, within the plan. You pay a little more.

You can also then visit out-of-network for a different payment scheme.

Then you can go see anyone you want anytime you want, so long as you can afford to pay so&so.

I'm thinking of a hair loss business of sorts (there are some very quality programs out there....)

I have no idea of the quality of these folks, but it gives an example

Actually I'm thinking of a TRICHOLOGIST
There are a few in the US

Philip Kingsley is quite well known, and he has a NY location in the US
http://www.philipkingsley.com/clinics
(this means major bucks though. I once called and learned the visit itself wasn't that bad -- it was getting to NY that was the problem)

Some who work in the hair loss business may be a bonified doctor with a trichologist type training.

heidi w.

Thank you. I knew that there were differences but I was unsure of what you meant by specialists.

heidi w.
November 12th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I have no idea of the veracity of this, but here's a link that compares Alopecia treatment options.

http://alopecia-options.com/

here's an online alopecia support group -- they may have some ideas
http://groups.msn.com/AlopeciaAreataSupportCommunity/internationalfoundations.msnw

Links to organizations that work with Alopecia sufferers
http://www.kumc.edu/gec/support/alopecia.html

Here's the US one: National Alopecia Areata Foundation
One does not have to be completely hairless all over the body to have Alopecia Areata. There ARE different types. Some have balding patches that stay that way; some have patches and the thinning is progressing; some have no hair on the head but might have a trace elsewhere on the body.

There are three types of alopecia areata; alopecia areata, alopecia totalis and alopecia universalis.

There's cortisone shots, topical immunotherapy

http://www.alopeciaareata.com/aa_onset_adulthood.html

The Marketplace mostly offers places for wigs but has other products too.

PLEASE KNOW I AM NOT A SPECIALIST IN ANY WAY ABOUT HAIR NOR ESPECIALLY ANY FORM OF ALOPECIA. I AM NOT SAYING THIS PERSON DEFINITELY HAS THIS ISSUE. I AM MERELY SUGGESTING THE POSSIBILITY AND TO LOOK INTO THE IDEA.

heidi w.

heidi w.
November 12th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I'm betting the dandruff shampoo will not encourage hair regrowth in this area. It may resolve the dandruff itself topically on the scalp skin and around where the hair is growing. I'm betting that the dandruff isn't present as much in this area as it is where the hair is growing.

That's not what dandruff shampoos do, encourage hair regrowth. I don't see massive scaling here. I see clean, clear skin.

An endocrinologist in hormones might help.

Dr. Philip Kinsley wrote a very informative book regarding hair maladies, one of the few in existence for the general public. I think it's out of print, unfortunately. I'll meander around in my copy and see what he has to say if I can find anything on the subject.

heidi w.

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I'm betting the dandruff shampoo will not encourage hair regrowth in this area. It may resolve the dandruff itself topically on the scalp skin and around where the hair is growing. I'm betting that the dandruff isn't present as much in this area as it is where the hair is growing.

That's not what dandruff shampoos do, encourage hair regrowth. I don't see massive scaling here. I see clean, clear skin.

An endocrinologist in hormones might help.

Dr. Philip Kinsley wrote a very informative book regarding hair maladies, one of the few in existence for the general public. I think it's out of print, unfortunately. I'll meander around in my copy and see what he has to say if I can find anything on the subject.

heidi w.

Dandruff shampoos are not meant to encourage hair growth, just treat dandruff that may be the cause of hair loss, through the scratching that can cause it.

The problem here, is that none of us are qualified to make a diagnosis and even if we were, we would need to see the person in person.

I do believe that the P&G information on dandruff being more likely to appear on the back of the head because of individual washing habits, is plausible.

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 03:56 PM
The CNN/Mayo Clinic link also contains this, which I found interesting, but only a licensed professional can determine this as a cause.

"Scalp ringworm (tinea capitis). This highly contagious fungal infection occurs primarily in children younger than age 10. Ringworm starts as a red sore around a hair shaft — usually on the scalp but sometimes in the eyebrows or eyelashes. Within a few days, the sore turns scaly and spreads outward in the ring pattern that gives the infection its name. The hair in the affected area usually breaks off just above the surface. Unlike dandruff, ringworm usually causes a red, inflamed scalp as well as hair loss."

It does not sound likely here, as the symptoms were not mentioned or visible in the pictures.

SimplyLonghair
November 12th, 2008, 04:09 PM
There has been a lot of new noise in the celiac community that gluten and celiac disease are at a high incidence rate with alopecia and there has been a measure of success with eliminating it from the diet and hair care products and the bald spots have gone away. They are unsure if the primary cause is the gluten or the fact that if you have the condition that you have many low levels of vitamins and minerals.
I know that I have thinning due to this condition, but as I improve on ridding my diet and life of gluten (there are many hidden glutens) I have improved my hair. My thinning is all over, but my dd has had spots like that. The hair is comming back in and it is very curly.:D The dandruff sounds as if it could be DH (dermititus herpiformus) it causes dandruff like symptoms. Most MD's are unfamilier with it's presentation.:rolleyes: It is something to ask them about, IF the other options don't work.

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I have been following celiac disease for a while and they are working on a vaccine. The research has made tremendous progress.
http://www.nexpep.com/default.asp?pn=thescience

plainjanegirl
November 12th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I am gonna come back here tonight and read all the new links everybody has provided....right now I need to take a step back. It's like there are drs. or dermatologists or specialized drs. or etc. and ALOT of different causes that could be causing hair loss. So basically I am feeling overwhelmed. Maybe I am vain but yes a spot like this bothers me and I do NOT want it to spread (or get bigger). That is why I went to the dr. and want to get it taken care of. But now I am finding out it may not be that simple. I am not financially able to travel a long ways to a dr. And if my insurance does not cover then it depends on the cost of whether that's feasible or not. So it's like I am going in circles. Well I'll be back later this evening.

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I am gonna come back here tonight and read all the new links everybody has provided....right now I need to take a step back. It's like there are drs. or dermatologists or specialized drs. or etc. and ALOT of different causes that could be causing hair loss. So basically I am feeling overwhelmed. Maybe I am vain but yes a spot like this bothers me and I do NOT want it to spread (or get bigger). That is why I went to the dr. and want to get it taken care of. But now I am finding out it may not be that simple. I am not financially able to travel a long ways to a dr. And if my insurance does not cover then it depends on the cost of whether that's feasible or not. So it's like I am going in circles. Well I'll be back later this evening.

You are not being vain, IMO and I doubt in anyone else's. You are doing the right thing by stepping back and then to try to absorb as much information as you can. I think that you are very wise to do so.

You took the first step in seeing your doctor, which IMO was also the smartest choice.

Remember, here you get an assortment of opinions and information that may be helpful. But no one here is qualified to diagnose your particular problem. That may or may not require a specialist of some sort. And if so, that will require a visit by you and no doubt some tests. But it may not come to that. One step at a time.

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 04:47 PM
plainjanegirl

Just an added note. What you can take away from all of this, is a list of things to discuss with your doctor when you see her again, if you do not notice some improvement in a month.

You can ask questions based on some of the very good IMO, suggestions made here. Just keep in mind that they are suggestions only and speculations.

SimplyLonghair
November 12th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Plainjanegirl, I just want to say that I feel for you and I understand being overwhelmed. If I in Anyway contributed to that feeling, I am truly sorry, that is not my intent. I only wanted to say that there are many possiblities that are not even thought of for such an issue.
Having a DD with such an issue, brought it out for me just how painful that it could be. Please know that we are here for you and don't think that you are in anyway vain for wanting this dealt with. I truly hope that the simple things like vitamins and shampoo do the trick and reverse the hairloss.

I read that an entire swim team lost their hair on 70% of their whole bodies! http://media.www.gwhatchet.com/media/storage/paper332/news/2008/10/30/SportsSwimmers.Report.Hair.Loss.Irritation-3515661.shtml?pop (http://media.www.gwhatchet.com/media/storage/paper332/news/2008/10/30/Sports/Swimmers.Report.Hair.Loss.Irritation-3515661.shtml?pop) And that was from an out of balance swimming pool.

So many things that we don't even realize affect us everyday, in sometimes subtle and sometimes not so subtle ways.

We simply have to back track and find the source. For us a diary was a big help.

Hair takes long enough to grow back that you can forget what did and didn't help.

Just keep a log like a food journal and write down everything, even if you don't think that it matters. It can help you out in the long run. Good luck and G-d Bless. :)

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Plainjanegirl, I just want to say that I feel for you and I understand being overwhelmed. If I in Anyway contributed to that feeling, I am truly sorry, that is not my intent. I only wanted to say that there are many possiblities that are not even thought of for such an issue.
Having a DD with such an issue, brought it out for me just how painful that it could be. Please know that we are here for you and don't think that you are in anyway vain for wanting this dealt with. I truly hope that the simple things like vitamins and shampoo do the trick and reverse the hairloss.

I read that an entire swim team lost their hair on 70% of their whole bodies! http://media.www.gwhatchet.com/media/storage/paper332/news/2008/10/30/SportsSwimmers.Report.Hair.Loss.Irritation-3515661.shtml?pop (http://media.www.gwhatchet.com/media/storage/paper332/news/2008/10/30/Sports/Swimmers.Report.Hair.Loss.Irritation-3515661.shtml?pop) And that was from an out of balance swimming pool.

So many things that we don't even realize affect us everyday, in sometimes subtle and sometimes not so subtle ways.

We simply have to back track and find the source. For us a diary was a big help.

Hair takes long enough to grow back that you can forget what did and didn't help.

Just keep a log like a food journal and write down everything, even if you don't think that it matters. It can help you out in the long run. Good luck and G-d Bless. :)

I think that you, like everyone else contributing here, made thoughtful, suggestions and put forth ideas that might not otherwise have been thought about, because you care.

That is what is best about LHC IMO, the concern for others.

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 05:56 PM
A point about doctor's visits.

I recently took my mom to her doctor. Almost immediately, when my mom was seated in the doctor's office, the doctor noticed my mom's "stained" lips.

I had been with my mom for several hours before the visit and had not noticed anything out of the ordinary. My mom has thin lips ETA: (the discoloration was on the inside of the lips) and when talking to people, I look them in the eyes.

The doctor tried to remove the "stains" with a moistened cloth but they would not come off.

Only under a magnifying glass, did the doctor discover that what she had was bruising, and pucture marks revealed that it was from my mom biting down on her lips with her teeth. There was no blood or scabs.

My point is, that only by close examinination, can details like that be revealed. I felt foolish not to have noticed but I could not have known the cause if I had.

Rain76
November 12th, 2008, 07:25 PM
No, my scalp problems were not diagnosed by a doctor. Nobody really cared thaat my hair was thinning, and all blood tests were in normal range. For years(before chemo,etc.) my hair would not grow, kept thinning, and my scalp was itchy and sometimes sore. I never had dandruff flakes, though.
Since I had problems with fungal overgrowth in other parts of my body(nails, skin, digestive, urinary tract), it made sense to me that my hair problems could be fungal. I just found out that I do have an allergy to candida(yeast); this was diagnosed by a doctor.
You also could try brushing a BBB over the thinning area to stimulate blood flow to that area. I am currently using a BBB on just my scalp. I put my hair in a ponytail and run the brush over my scalp only.

What is a BBB?

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Boar bristle brush

heidi w.
November 12th, 2008, 09:46 PM

Ok, several years ago I did call Kingsley's office in NY and at that time, they informed me when I said I couldn't travel to NY that they do consultations over the phone. They ask, for starters, for a photo and you send it along, and then they take a looksee, schedule a phone consultation. They may ask for a selection of hairs, but at the time they only requested a photo. I think the cost was fairly reasonable $100 or less, at the time, considering all. I would suggest that if you want to go this route that you send along a photo of this part of your heads hair (if you have it) from 5 yrs ago, to 2.5 yrs ago to present, to kind of have a comparison.

It's free to call and make an inquiry of how they would proceed and cost! And it costs not very much to pick up the phone and call in terms of time or money. So once you have the info gathered you can then make a decision. I actually think they said $60 for a phone consultation, at the time. This was a good 7 or so years ago.

Alopecia is an autoimmune disorder and can be diagnosed locally.

I think the doctor that said this loss is due to dandruff honestly doesn't know, and just took a stab. I spoke to several of my more knowledgeable hair friends today and they all have never heard of dandruff causing this type and look of hair loss. IF all you did was see a more regular doctor that doesn't somehow really know about reasons that can cause hair loss on this scale, look and so on, then that idea of dandruff causing this begins to be even more suspect.

I can state unequivocally that any dandruff shampoo

What's making me think this is the smoothness of the area. That's my only reason for thinking this idea at all. I didn't see any patchiness or rashness to the color of the skin or any scaling of the skin which would show dandruff, exzema, psoriasis or a fungus even.

There are other possibilities that remain.

I do understand feeling overwhelmed by the suggestions, links to info and so on. You are NOT vain for being concerned in any way whatsoever. If I had such a situation I'd be concerned too and I'd want to know why.

Take your time. Do what you need to do. I know it might be upsetting to have this idea suggested, and I do so hope that I am incorrect. For your sake.

I hope this somehow helps you and when the time comes, I would be curious to know the answer to your situation. You would be educating me, too.

I honestly feel for your situation.
heidi w.

Darkhorse1
November 12th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Just wanted to say I bought Nizoral tonight. There is NO WAY I'd use Selsun Blue--the smell is HIDEOUS!! It made my eyes water just sniffing it, and the side effects freaked me out. While I have to do a patch test on my arm with the Nizoral (I have sensitive skin), ketocanazole was proven to be better than the stuff in Selsun Blue---if you believe the wikipedia article.

I do agree with the others---I'd check in with your doctor before trying any of this. Do you have older photos of you with updos? I ask only because the back of my hair looks similar to yours. It's not as high up, but I have an M or W hair line pattern if I pull all my hair tight. I've had that for years.

I'd venture to guess your hair loss is due to stress.

heidi w.
November 12th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I went back again and looked on a different monitor since different monitors have different levels of color clarity.

I do see a bit of redness up the center and an indication of bits of hair growing around.

This is a tough one.

What's hard is to get a doctor be willing to admit they might not have an answer and to help you get to someone who would.

I'm very sorry. I so hope that I'm wrong.
heidi w.

Darkhorse1
November 12th, 2008, 10:03 PM
ktani and I are lucky to live in Canada. Perhaps Obama will help make changes to health care???

ktani
November 12th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Just wanted to say I bought Nizoral tonight. There is NO WAY I'd use Selsun Blue--the smell is HIDEOUS!! It made my eyes water just sniffing it, and the side effects freaked me out. While I have to do a patch test on my arm with the Nizoral (I have sensitive skin), ketocanazole was proven to be better than the stuff in Selsun Blue---if you believe the wikipedia article.

I did not mean to freak you out with the selenium sulfide side effects. There is a possibility of some hair loss with ketocanazole as well but it does not appear to be as likely and it says mild. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=342034&postcount=61 and http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=342066&postcount=62

The good thing IMO, about being aware of side effects however uncommon most can be, is that you know what to look for and monitor.

heidi w.
November 12th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I used Nizoral for quite a few years to help with my scalp skin condition, Seborrheic Dermatitus (a more severe form of dandruff related to overproduction of sebum from sebacious glands). It worked very well.

It handles fungus' and dandruff.

There is the over-the-counter version and a prescription strength version that must come from a physician's prescription. It's now more commonly on physician's prescription lists BUT I do know in some health care plans it may not be included still on the list of acceptable things to prescribe. Thus you may have to specifically inquire about it.

I know it's used for help with fungus and even some bacterial conditions (to compliment a regime of antibiotics) as my nephew had a problem, and I told my sister to get him Nizoral, and she wouldn't listen and the problem persisted and finally the doctor ordered the prescription strength Nizoral and it cleared up his fungus/infection (he had both -- it was a mess) problem along with the antibiotics. She called me up and said, you won't believe what the doc just prescribed. She then informed me of the issue in her health care plan (at that time which was more than 3 years ago now) for doctors prescribing this shampoo.

Nizoral is more widely marketed now and accepted.

Nizoral doesn't foam as much as shampoos do. It needs to be left on for a bit (3-5 min) before rinsed out. It leaves the hair a little more oily-ish or the hair becomes a little more oily-ish faster than one might be used to (of course this could be my problem with the Seborrheic Dermatitus). Initially all washes should be done with Nizoral (still condition but do NOT apply conditioner to scalp skin). Nizoral is not drying to hair. To me it smelled a bit during application, but once rinsed out all was fine. I received the most amount of compliments on my hair's wonderful smell when I used this shampoo. After about 2 weeks or so of consistent use, then you can switch back to normal shampoo choice, alternating with Nizoral on subsequent washes.

heidi w.
ETA: Nizoral also helped clear up some of my face acne! I had another friend who doctor suggested using the OTC version and he had terrible skin problems and he would wash his face with a drop sometimes and it really cleared things up!

plainjanegirl
November 12th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I have bee searching online for a dermatologist in my area. I will start making calls within the next day or two.
I mean I guess getting a second opinion would not hurt.
For a second opinion should I go to a dermatologist or just a different family dr.?

Now I have never ever been to a dermatologist so I am clueless as to what exactly they do. I mean do they do blood tests or just examine th scalp or what exactly? Will they prescribe medicine or recommend vitamins or at least give some idea of what to do for what they think it is?????
Sorry for so many questions.

And I just want to add thanks to everybody who has given any ideas or suggestions on this thread. It shows you all care. Thanks! What great friends.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 12th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Also I understand some of the ladies here use Monistst

I have had good luck with DHT Blocker and it speeded up my growth also!

vindo
November 12th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Ok here is an update. I went to the dr. and she thinks that I have some dandruff and she said that can contribute to hair loss. SO she wants me to use Head and Shoulders. When I asked her if my hair would grow back in the balding spot in the back she told me it would. I am supposed to check back with her in a month. So has anybody heard of dandruff causing hair loss??? I have been washing my hair twice a week now. Should I keep it at that or should I increase my washings? I guess I will get a head and shoulders shampoo and also a conditioner. Can these be drying to your hair? I hope not cause I fight dryness alot with my hair. Well I guess we'll see if this helps. I hope so.

There is an eczema called seborrhoic eczema (engl.spelling?) that can cause hair loss but for that to happen the skin must be inflamed or hurt in some way.

I really think you should check with a professional Dr.
It is the most stupid thing to rec. Head and Shoulders since the harsh chemicals could even make it worse! (Aside from all the really bad stuff, head and shoulders is very drying as well) Scientists have been testing this for a while and found that todays lifestyle causes hairloss in many people and is one of the main reasons for male pattern baldness.
The skin is a big organ and excretes toxins on the regular. If you feed your scalp toxins though it will nourish the hair with those and they will be in poor condition or even fall out.
(sorry if my engl. sucks I studied hair science in german :()
That said anything you eat or applly to your head can severely affect your hair. If you are lucky eating right and using gentle natural hair care or even WO might help.

By eating right I mean healthy, green and avoid Fructose, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Starch as good as possible (It's everywhere in U.S. foods).
A condition called Fructose malabsorption, which is a food intolerance can also affect your hair. Maybe get checked for Fructose Malabsorption to be sure.
I have it btw.
Furthermore I would avoid sleeping on that spot until you know what causes it.

Some suggested Alopecia:
If it was traction alopecia for example it could be caused by heavy updos, tight braids and other hairstyles.
I second getting your thyroids checked.

I would wash not so frequent since a wash means stress for your scalp and could worsen the situation..
Going back to Head and Shoulders- SLS and other harsh detergents are often even the cause for dandruff in the first place.

I second the idea that birth control could cause it - it has been proven to cause androgenetic hair loss after years of intake in many cases.

I currently have hair loss on the left side of my head and I will also have to seek a Dr. to find out what exactly it is, but I will do all the things I told you as well.
Castor Oil worked for regrowing my overly plucked brows btw! :) Hope that is good news.

I feel for you and I hope you will be able to solve the problem!
Good Luck!

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I have bee searching online for a dermatologist in my area. I will start making calls within the next day or two.
I mean I guess getting a second opinion would not hurt.
For a second opinion should I go to a dermatologist or just a different family dr.?

Now I have never ever been to a dermatologist so I am clueless as to what exactly they do. I mean do they do blood tests or just examine th scalp or what exactly? Will they prescribe medicine or recommend vitamins or at least give some idea of what to do for what they think it is?????
Sorry for so many questions.

And I just want to add thanks to everybody who has given any ideas or suggestions on this thread. It shows you all care. Thanks! What great friends.

You are most welcome for the information I posted.

To help save you some money if your insurance does not cover this, when you call a dermatologist's office, ask questions and get prices. Tests will depend on what is felt necessary by the dermatologist.

I think that getting a second opinion is very wise of you.

Also search in your area for a trichologist and perhaps call a few hair loss places, to see if there are licensed doctors working in those places.

If your local calls are free, you can then make a decision on who to see first and what may be involved before you go to visit anyone else.

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 08:05 AM
You will not be able to get a diagnosed over the phone but when I have called with questions before an appointment you can in some cases get information on procedures involved in how they approach a patient. I have found nurses/receptionists very helpful in the past. Only a visit and seeing a professional will get you an opinion but pricing should be available to you upfront. Not everything is covered under health care here in Canada.

plainjanegirl
November 13th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Called some dermatologists today and so far none of them accept the insurance I have. This is so frustrating. Unfortunately there is no way I can pay out of pocket right now. I will call more probably tomorrow but if no luck then I guess I will have to pray that my dr. can help me.

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Called some dermatologists today and so far none of them accept the insurance I have. This is so frustrating. Unfortunately there is no way I can pay out of pocket right now. I will call more probably tomorrow but if no luck then I guess I will have to pray that my dr. can help me.

Hang in there and keep calling around. There may be a good one who will accept your insurance. In the meantime, you have the Head & Shoulders and your doctor may be able to recommend you to someone in a few weeks if the shampoo does not work. Your doctor may know a specialist who does take your insurance. Do not let the frustration add to your stress.

bjt
November 13th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Hi there--try asking your main doctor for a referral to a dermatologist. They'll know a doctor that takes your insurance.
good luck--

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Just from reading the posts here and having done some research reading myself, there are several causes of hair loss, including this form of alopecia which does not require medical treatment.

".... traction alopecia is associated with sustained tension on the scalp hair ...."
http://www.emedicine.com/DERM/topic895.htm (http://www.emedicine.com/DERM/topic895.htm)

So to list them and add more;

1. stress

2. dandruff

3. alopecia (more than 1 kind)

4. hormone imbalance

5. hyperthyroidism

6. diet deficiency

7. eczema (severe)

8. Celiac Disease

9. Vitamin supplement overdose
"Vitamin A toxicity can cause more severe symptoms such as growth retardation, hair loss and enlarged spleen and liver and .... death."
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/v/vitamin_a_overdose/intro.htm

Theoretically, a person could have more than one of these conditions contributing to hair loss at one time. That is why I think that a proper diagnosis and specialists if needed, be consulted. However, I think that it is very informative to read this thread, and learn about the individual conditions in more detail.

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I would not use this website to self diagnose, but for the stated purpose, it may prove useful.

".... objective of the site is to encourage consumers to be informed and interested in managing their health .... to know what questions to ask their doctors to help ensure they are getting the best healthcare possible."
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/crtop/aboutus.htm

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I prefer sources like this, for information.

".... chronic vitamin A toxicity, a history of some or all of the following may be obtained:

Anorexia
Hair loss
Dryness of mucus membranes
Fissures of the lips .... "
http://www.emedicine.com/MED/topic2382.htm

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Here is some information on Fructose Intolerance. I do not see hair loss as a symptom listed here.
http://www.drkoop.com/ency/93/000359sym.html

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 01:35 PM
The Mayo Clinic list on hair loss causes. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-loss/DS00278/DSECTION=causes

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Mayo Clinic again on hair loss and stress

".... intense stress may trigger a type of hair loss called alopecia areata. In this condition, white blood cells attack the hair follicle — which stops hair growth. Within weeks, the affected hair falls out. The hair loss usually starts as a small round patch but may eventually spread to the whole scalp, and sometimes to body hair as well. The hair generally grows back ...."
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stress-and-hair-loss/AN01442

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Princess Caroline of Monaco had stress related hair loss years ago. Most of her hair fell out and I think she shaved her head at one point but it all grew back.

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I am not suggesting for a nanosecond (if such a measurement exists, lol) that what happpened to Princess Caroline will happen to you. I am no more qualified to diagnose you than anyone else here. That is where your doctor and/or specialists come in. They are trained and licensed to do so, even if it may take a bit of further examination and some testing.

Darkhorse1
November 13th, 2008, 02:09 PM
As nice as all of this info is, you need a medical health care professional to diagnose this. We aren't doctors, and the internet can only help you understand a few things---the symptoms are hair loss, but without knowing the cause, you can't use this info as valid help.

Your doctor is a trained professional. He/she suggested Head and Shoulders, so stick with this, and when you see him again, have a list of concerns such as hormone levels, stress and other things you'd like to have checked out. Also, ask him/her for a dermatologist referal.

Are you noticing a lot of hair loss? You must be seeing a lot of hair around the house. When I lost hair to stress, it was down right horrific. I was picking up PILES of hair.

Another note: you need to lose 50% of your total hair to have hair loss SHOW. So, you can lose hair and noone but you will notice.

Don't do searches on the net--it will only stress you out more. Find out through a doctor what the problem is, and treat that, rather than the symptom (which is hair loss).

((HUGS))).

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 02:15 PM
As nice as all of this info is, you need a medical health care professional to diagnose this. We aren't doctors, and the internet can only help you understand a few things---the symptoms are hair loss, but without knowing the cause, you can't use this info as valid help.

Your doctor is a trained professional. He/she suggested Head and Shoulders, so stick with this, and when you see him again, have a list of concerns such as hormone levels, stress and other things you'd like to have checked out. Also, ask him/her for a dermatologist referal.

Are you noticing a lot of hair loss? You must be seeing a lot of hair around the house. When I lost hair to stress, it was down right horrific. I was picking up PILES of hair.

Another note: you need to lose 50% of your total hair to have hair loss SHOW. So, you can lose hair and noone but you will notice.

Don't do searches on the net--it will only stress you out more. Find out through a doctor what the problem is, and treat that, rather than the symptom (which is hair loss).

((HUGS))).

My point was pretty much the same as yours. The list and information was just to show how difficult it can be to do a professional's job.

I completely agree with you and have said so too.

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 02:31 PM
plainjanegirl

If you wait the few weeks to see your doctor again and give the Head & Shoulders a chance to work, you will be saving money and it will be less stressful than trying to find a specialist on your own for a second opinion now.

I agree that your doctor may know of someone you can see who will take your insurance. I have said this but it makes more sense the more I think about it, given your other circumstances.

vindo
November 13th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Here is some information on Fructose Intolerance. I do not see hair loss as a symptom listed here.
http://www.drkoop.com/ency/93/000359sym.html

Her is one source:

http://www.foodintol.com/sugar.asp

There is more sites when you google - "fructose malabsorption hair"

What are the symptoms of fructose malabsorption and fructose intolerance?

The symptoms of Fructose sensitivity are very similar to Lactose Intolerance so they can be misdiagnosed. Long term effects of malabsorption are anaemia; poor skin, nails and hair; general ill health and even osteoporosis.

A fructose free diet usually helps with those symptoms. Some don't have it at all.

A specialist should be able to examine hair from that area, the follicles and the bulb under a microscope.
In many cases the tip of the fallen out hair is dark and does not include the white hair bulb.
Hair that just sheds still has this bulb. You can see it with the naked eye.

vindo
November 13th, 2008, 04:05 PM
plainjanegirl

If you wait the few weeks to see your doctor again and give the Head & Shoulders a chance to work, you will be saving money and it will be less stressful than trying to find a specialist on your own for a second opinion now.

I want to warn about head and shoulders again, especially since some protein denaturing could even be the cause.

I agree with not stressing but first read what I wrote about head and shoulders, then see if you still want to consider it...

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Her is one source:

http://www.foodintol.com/sugar.asp

There is more sites when you google - "fructose malabsorption hair"

A fructose free diet usually helps with those symptoms. Some don't have it at all.

A specialist should be able to examine hair from that area, the follicles and the bulb under a microscope.
In many cases the tip of the fallen out hair is dark and does not include the white hair bulb.
Hair that just sheds still has this bulb. You can see it with the naked eye.

Thank You.

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I want to warn about head and shoulders again, especially since some protein denaturing could even be the cause.

I agree with not stressing but first read what I wrote about head and shoulders, then see if you still want to consider it...

What are you basing the anti Head & Shoulders comments on?

Not all of the formulas may be drying enough to be a problem.

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Head & Shoulders reviews
http://www.consumersearch.com/shampoo-reviews/head-shoulders-classic-clean

Zinc pyrithione side effects
"No COMMON side effects have been reported with Pyrithione Zinc Shampoo....
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing (http://www.drugs.com/cdi/pyrithione-zinc-shampoo.html#); tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); skin irritation."
http://www.drugs.com/cdi/pyrithione-zinc-shampoo.html

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Head & Shoulders is not really the issue here. There are other zink pyrithione shampoos that may be gentler. Head & Shoulders is just the choice plainjanegirl made for now. It depends on how she reacts to it.

ktani
November 13th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Head & Shoulders and zink pyrithione are her doctor's recommendation on where to start in dealing with the problem and that is supported here.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=341063&postcount=35

plainjanegirl
November 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I am just going with the Head and Shoulders since that is what my dr. said to use. So I thought it would be wise to not try to self diagnose this myself.

If I were doing that I would be on ALOT of different vitamins, etc.

Darkhorse1
November 13th, 2008, 07:15 PM
plainjane---when you went to the Drs, did you notice any dandruff? Itchy/flaky stuff? I'm sure your Dr looked at your hair/scalp?

With symtpoms of hair loss, doctors have to go through a series of ideas and thoughts as to the condition behind the loss. Head and Shoulders has NEVER dried my hair. Quite the opposite--I used the shine boost one and the smell was great and it was PH balanced so it was gentle on my scalp--just not strong enough for my flakes ;)

I'm off to try Nizoral. I tested it on the back of my hand this morning and no side effects, so I'll let you know how that works :D

plainjanegirl
November 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM
plainjane---when you went to the Drs, did you notice any dandruff? Itchy/flaky stuff? I'm sure your Dr looked at your hair/scalp?

With symtpoms of hair loss, doctors have to go through a series of ideas and thoughts as to the condition behind the loss. Head and Shoulders has NEVER dried my hair. Quite the opposite--I used the shine boost one and the smell was great and it was PH balanced so it was gentle on my scalp--just not strong enough for my flakes ;)

I'm off to try Nizoral. I tested it on the back of my hand this morning and no side effects, so I'll let you know how that works :D

I got the 2in1 smooth and silky head and shoulders formula. So far, but I have only used it once, it seems good with the length of my hair.

No I had not noticed any itching or flaking before I went to the dr. yes she looked at my bad spot and and also looked through my hair looking at my scalp in different areas.
Now today my hair has been itching alot and this is very unusual.

Darkhorse1
November 13th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Weird---I used Nizoral and WOW--it works pretty well, but me too! I have itchy scalp. I even used the Nizoral only on my scalp, then used a zinc based shampoo to ease the itching after.

By the way, if you use Nizoral, I think the smell is what kills the fungus. UGH! I also didn't notice any more shedding than normal when I wash my hair.

susiemw
November 13th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I'm going to jump in here and recommend you

1. keep calling around to find a dermatologist... and ask the
dermatologists receptionist which doctor in the area is known for working with hair loss. Even specialists specialize or have preferred area of treatment that they really enjoy and concentrate on.

When I went to the dermatologist 10 years ago complaining of hair loss, she told me I was just getting old and it was "normal".
It wasn't. It isn't and I'm finally getting the treatment I needed
10 years ago. And I work in medicine so I know how frustrating it can be to get what you need.

2. Even though your issue probably isn't thyroid related I'd still talk to your family doctors nurse and either get a copy of your
labs or get a verbal report. Most doctors only order a TSH to check thyroid levels (not the best test for testing thyroid function) and often the labs still use the outdated "normal values" from pre-2003.

the new TSH values are 0.3 to 3.0, versus the older range of 0.5 to 5.5. levels above 3.0 are evidence of possible hypothyroidism, and levels below 0.3 are evidence of possible hyperthyroidism.

If they ran a free t3 and free t4 (the better tests for diagnosing thyroid problems) they should be in the upper part of the labs "normal range".

good luck with your search and I hope you can get this issue resolved as quickly as possible.

Susan

p.s. nizoral and monistat besides being antifungals also bind the DHT receptors and help prevent hair loss that way.

Darkhorse1
November 14th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Susan--that's what I'm thinking--that with the symptom of hair loss having such a broad range, the doctor is starting with the most basic and working their way out--but, that can take time, and if it is a thyroid problem, you'd want to get that isolated asap.

Question--why does Nizoral make your scalp itchy? If it's supposed to cure dandruff that makes it itchy....I can't believe how the nizoral works SO fast, but dang, I've got the itchies. I used a zinc based shampoo after to ease that, but it's not working. May have to use something else afterwards??? I didn't know Nizoral was an antifungal.

ktani
November 14th, 2008, 06:24 AM
From the Cnn/Mayo Clinic link

I posted this earlier in the thread. It details the different dandruff treatment ingredients.

"Zinc pyrithione shampoos (Suave Dandruff Control Shampoo, Head & Shoulders). These contain the antibacterial and antifungal agent zinc pyrithione, which has been shown to reduce the fungus that causes dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis.

Tar-based shampoos (Neutrogena T/Gel, Tegrin). Coal tar, a byproduct of the coal manufacturing process, helps conditions such as dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis by slowing cell turnover. But coal tar has an "earthy" smell, can give light-colored hair an orange tint and may make treated skin more sensitive to sunlight.

Shampoos containing salicylic acid (Ionil T). These "scalp scrubs" help eliminate scale, but they may leave your scalp dry, leading to more flaking. Using a conditioner after shampooing can help counter dryness.

Selenium sulfide shampoos (Selsun, Exsel). These shampoos help prevent cell turnover and may also reduce the number of malassezia. Because they can discolor blonde, gray or chemically colored hair, be sure to use them only as directed and to rinse well after shampooing.

Ketoconazole shampoos (Nizoral). The newest addition to the dandruff armamentarium, ketoconazole is a broad-spectrum antifungal agent that may work when other shampoos fail. It's available over-the-counter as well as by prescription."
http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00456.html[/quote]

plainjanegirl
November 14th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Susan--that's what I'm thinking--that with the symptom of hair loss having such a broad range, the doctor is starting with the most basic and working their way out--but, that can take time, and if it is a thyroid problem, you'd want to get that isolated asap.

Question--why does Nizoral make your scalp itchy? If it's supposed to cure dandruff that makes it itchy....I can't believe how the nizoral works SO fast, but dang, I've got the itchies. I used a zinc based shampoo after to ease that, but it's not working. May have to use something else afterwards??? I didn't know Nizoral was an antifungal.

So did you not have the itchies before you used the dandruff shampoo either?
I was thinking I was weird or something. Would it help the itchies by using another shampoo after using the dadndruff stuff I wonder?

Darkhorse1
November 14th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I had itchies before using the dandruff shampoo, but these itchies are different from the Nizoral. I found using a zinc based shampoo after was soothing as zinc heals any skin problems (as told by my pharmasist.) I'm chronicling my dandruff journey in my blog, if anyone is interested.

My hair looks pretty darn good today! :) plainjane--perhaps alternate from head and shoulders with your other regular shampoo? I may choose to use a moisturizing shampoo inbetween uses, to soothe my scalp. Another thought would be to call your Dr to see if that is normal, or even speak to your pharmasist.

I have gray hairs, so I also prefered Nizoral due to the discoloration woes with Selsun Blue.

Darkhorse1
November 14th, 2008, 09:47 AM
http://www.nizoral.ca/eng/nizoral.asp

Great advice here! :)

ktani
November 14th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Yes, this is very interesting. IMO.

"Can I use other hair care products while using NIZORAL* Shampoo?
You don't have to stop using your favourite shampoo, conditioner, or any other hair-care product for that matter. In fact, keep using them and simply include NIZORAL* Shampoo as part of your healthy hair regime. You'll find NIZORAL* is gentle enough to work on most colour-treated, chemically processed and gray hair. And, unlike tar-based shampoos, NIZORAL* has a fresh, clean scent that won't clash with your favourite perfume or fragrance."
http://www.nizoral.ca/eng/faqs_about_nizoral_3.asp#question

vindo
November 14th, 2008, 10:07 AM
What are you basing the anti Head & Shoulders comments on?

Not all of the formulas may be drying enough to be a problem.

My science studies at college, conventional cosmetics usually contain SLS along with some other toxins.
SLS is very harsh a strong irritant and can provoke eczema.
There is many more natural antifungal shampoos out there.

But, of course the choice is not mine. I just wanted to warn.

ktani
November 14th, 2008, 10:07 AM
This is interesting too, IMO. Alternating shampoos sounds like a good idea to me.

"Try using one of these shampoos daily until your dandruff is controlled, then cut back to two or three times a week. If one type of shampoo works for a time and then seems to lose its effectiveness, try alternating between two types of dandruff shampoos. Be sure to leave the shampoo on for at least 5 minutes — this allows the ingredients time to work. Some experts suggest lathering twice for best results."

plainjanegirl
November 14th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I did lather twice when I used it and the second time I left it on for five minutes.

But how do I tell if it is working when I have not had itching (but now do after using the H and S) and have noticed no flakes?

ktani
November 14th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I did lather twice when I used it and the second time I left it on for five minutes.

But how do I tell if it is working when I have not had itching (but now do after using the H and S) and have noticed no flakes?

I would call your doctor and ask her what she thinks. She recommened the Head & Shoulders and may have some advice and/or a suggestion. You can mention that someone you know has tried Nizoral and had a similar reaction.

ktani
November 14th, 2008, 10:21 AM
My science studies at college, conventional cosmetics usually contain SLS along with some other toxins.
SLS is very harsh a strong irritant and can provoke eczema.
There is many more natural antifungal shampoos out there.

But, of course the choice is not mine. I just wanted to warn.

I agree sls can be a strong irritant but it depends on the percentage used in a product. I used to use an sls liquid soap that was very strong used straight but diluted was fine, even on my sensitive skin.

In Head & Shoulders, sls is not the primary cleanser but there are gentler shampoos that contain zink pyrithione that may be preferable, if the itching plainjaingirl has is from the cleansing system in it. The itching may be from something else in the shampoo.

plainjanegirl
November 14th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I can't find it but someone yesterday mentioned that they saw Dr. Oz on Oprah yesterday and no I did not see it.
But Dr. Oz was on Good Morning America today and it was very interesting. He said that your hair tells alot about your health.

ktani
November 14th, 2008, 10:47 AM
So much depeds on how a product is formulated. Most Herbal Essences shampoos, also by P&G, also contain sls as the secondary cleanser. Some people here are fine with them.

As a general rule, Paula Begoun in her haircare books, does not recommend any shampoo with sls in the top few ingredients but she does recommend most Head & Shoulders shampoos, as a starting point if somene has dandruff, based on her research. She is not a doctor.

From what I have read, a combination of certain ingredients act to offset the irritation potential of a single ingredient.

It really comes down to individual reactions. I have chemical sensitivities on my scalp in particular, but I use a shampoo with sles and have no problems with it. I have used other shampoos with no sulfates and did have problems. It is not IMO, a simple thing, to find a product that is suitable for everyone.

Darkhorse1
November 14th, 2008, 11:06 AM
That's odd---that your doc said you had dandruff, but you had no flakes? Or itching? I'm not sure if the fungus can live in the scalp and be unnoticed and just cause hair loss?? I'm not a Dr, so I can't comment, but to my understanding, when you have the scaling/flaking is when you shed hair.

I just realized I did about 4 washings in total yesterday, so that's probably why my scalp is itchy. Just lacking oils. My scalp is pretty oily, so I'm sure by tonight, the natural oils will come back and ease that.

I did find some other patches of dandruff last night, but I"m not sure I got all the places I have dandruff. I'm going to use a different shampoo next wash, then Nizoral the next time. I figure I'll use it once a week. Ease my scalp into it ;)

Plainjane--yep, hair will tell you what's going on with your body. If your body isn't well, your hair will show it.

ktani
November 14th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Like heidi w. said, there does appear to be some redness on your scalp in the pictures plainjanegirl, and you said that your doctor checked your scalp in different places. She is trained to notice things that pictures and you cannot see.

I would call her and talk to her about your initial reaction to the shampoo, just in case.

Darkhorse1
November 14th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Yep, PJ--call your doc and mention the itchiness. It may just be a side effect, but it's better to be safe than sorry ;)

ktani
November 14th, 2008, 12:43 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1967&pictureid=23664

There are more pictures in my album. Looking at these pics just makes me sick. Something cannot be right, but how do I get my dr. to do something.

The redness is visible on my monitor. Your hair overall is still thicker than mine and this is not noticable when you wear your hair up or down.

plainjanegirl
November 14th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I never noticed the rednesss when I look in the mirror but I do see it there in the pic. It's mainly in the area with no hair....up where it has more hair it is more of a white color.

plainjanegirl
November 14th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Can the epidurals from c-sections cause problems later on down the road with your hair?
Just an idea.
I am going to make a list of any possibilites that can cause hair loss for when I do go to the dr. next month. Then she will know that this is really bothering me if I have put time in to research alot of different reasons.

heidi w.
November 14th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Is the redness rough in texture in any way? Even if it adheres hard to the skin? Then that could indicate exzema, psoriasis or something like that....or the fungus or rash idea, even!

Have you always had that red patch?

Dig for comparison pix to note if this has always been, advanced over the years in terms of size and loss of hair density.....

heidi w.

ktani
November 14th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Can the epidurals from c-sections cause problems later on down the road with your hair?
Just an idea.
I am going to make a list of any possibilites that can cause hair loss for when I do go to the dr. next month. Then she will know that this is really bothering me if I have put time in to research alot of different reasons.

I would not think so as it is a local anesthetic but I do think that since May, your post pregnancy hormones have not necessarily settled down yet. As I said in an earlier post, one can have more than one of the causes of hair loss at one time, in theory at least.

plainjanegirl
November 14th, 2008, 01:32 PM
http://www.betterhealthandliving.com/articles/help_for_hair_loss/

This article is interesting too. And this girl was only 19.

plainjanegirl
November 14th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Is the redness rough in texture in any way? Even if it adheres hard to the skin? Then that could indicate exzema, psoriasis or something like that....or the fungus or rash idea, even!

Have you always had that red patch?

Dig for comparison pix to note if this has always been, advanced over the years in terms of size and loss of hair density.....

heidi w.

See that's the hard thing . I normally don't take pictures of this area. I could find pics of when I was younger with longer thicker hair but it would be down or up and wouldn't necessarily show that area. Even pics from 2004 when my hair was cut short I don't think I will have any pics of the back scalp area.

Darkhorse1
November 14th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I was going to ask the same thing---to find a photo of you from 1 year ago to see if that is your normal hair line or such---the good news is that you have new hair growth! So, whatever it is, you are already growing new hairs. :)

I don't know about epidurals. To my knowledge, that just blocks the nerves from that point down, so it's more comfortable when you are in labor. Well, if they work. My friend had a 2 day labor and a bad epidural. (didn't work).

It's always good to make a list of things, and also, check into your family history in regards to any hair loss in the family. Any autoimmune diseases etc.

ktani
November 14th, 2008, 01:37 PM
plainjanegirl

I agree that you want your doctor to know how much this is stressing you. But please to not add to your stress by researching all of the causes of hair loss too deeply.

In university in psychology class we learned about "medical student's disease."

Medical students, reading the material on diseases, would check off all of the symptoms that applied to themselves and wound up thinking that they had every disease they read about, lol.

Tell your doctor how stressed you are. Tell her that you have been doing some reading and does she think that it is possible from her further examining your scalp and symptoms descriptions, that can only come from you, so monitor yourself, that any of the things on the list you show her could be contrubuting to the problem.

plainjanegirl
November 14th, 2008, 01:40 PM
plainjanegirl

I agree that you want your doctor to know how much this is stressing you. But please to not add to your stress by researching all of the causes of hair loss too deeply.

In university in psychology class we learned about "medical student's disease."

Medical students, reading the material on diseases, would check off all of the symptoms that applied to themselves and wound up thinking that they had every disease they read about, lol.

Tell your doctor how stressed you are. Tell her that you have been doing some reading and does she think that it is possible from her further examining your scalp and symptoms descriptions, that can only come from you, so monitor yourself, that any of the things on the list you show her could be contrubuting to the problem.

Sorry I didn't really mean further research....no, no.
Just all the ideas that have been listed in this thread by everybody.

if she has no idea then I am gonna see if she can refer me somewhere else and if not then I will see about going to another dr. for a second opinion.

plainjanegirl
November 14th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I was going to ask the same thing---to find a photo of you from 1 year ago to see if that is your normal hair line or such---the good news is that you have new hair growth! So, whatever it is, you are already growing new hairs. :)

I don't know about epidurals. To my knowledge, that just blocks the nerves from that point down, so it's more comfortable when you are in labor. Well, if they work. My friend had a 2 day labor and a bad epidural. (didn't work).

It's always good to make a list of things, and also, check into your family history in regards to any hair loss in the family. Any autoimmune diseases etc.

I'm glad you think there is new growth there. I think it's hard for me to notice that....all I see is a big bare spot that should be full of hair.

ktani
November 14th, 2008, 01:47 PM
plainjanegirl

I realize now and thank you for correcting my error, (I can read too fast and not absorb), that you did not have a baby in May. How old is you last child?

heidi w.
November 14th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I assumed the lack of photos would be a more likely scenario. Not lots of people do photos of the back of their head, much less lifted up hair, so you have to work from memory. You know enough: it's thin, the family notices it, and it's not normal in any degree. Dandruff does not cause this kind of hair loss in my experience. That's all I can say. I hope you find an answer and I would be most curious to know what it is when you discover it. I even thought of anemia, but even then, it wouldn't be like this UNLESS you were starving, which you're not. heidi w.

plainjanegirl
November 14th, 2008, 02:05 PM
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/901913/hair_regrowth_tips_for_the_bald_or.html

EVCO (Extra Virgin Coconut Oil) applied sparingly to hair (also great as a pre-wash hair and scalp soak, applied liberally.) Taken internally EVCO is also an efficient promoter of hair growth.

very interesting. I just ran into this. I have been looking into using coconut oil (on toast or whatever). Cause it is supposed to help with energy, losing weight, etc. But this link I found lists it as something to help with hair.....Now beware this article lists alot of crazy stuff that I am not gonna try....just a warning.

plainjanegirl
November 14th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I assumed the lack of photos would be a more likely scenario. Not lots of people do photos of the back of their head, much less lifted up hair, so you have to work from memory. You know enough: it's thin, the family notices it, and it's not normal in any degree. Dandruff does not cause this kind of hair loss in my experience. That's all I can say. I hope you find an answer and I would be most curious to know what it is when you discover it. I even thought of anemia, but even then, it wouldn't be like this UNLESS you were starving, which you're not. heidi w.

Anemia isn't that what causes iron to be low? My iron was tested several months ago (back in the summer) and I was told it was fine. Now several months before that when my child was born they said my iron was low but they said that is normal after having a baby. I always bruise really easy and thought that was a sign of low iron but like I said it was normal then. And please forgive me if iron and anemia have nothing to do with each other...I may be thinking of something alot different.

ktani
November 14th, 2008, 02:12 PM
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/901913/hair_regrowth_tips_for_the_bald_or.html

EVCO (Extra Virgin Coconut Oil) applied sparingly to hair (also great as a pre-wash hair and scalp soak, applied liberally.) Taken internally EVCO is also an efficient promoter of hair growth.

very interesting. I just ran into this. I have been looking into using coconut oil (on toast or whatever). Cause it is supposed to help with energy, losing weight, etc. But this link I found lists it as something to help with hair.....Now beware this article lists alot of crazy stuff that I am not gonna try....just a warning.

There is nothing wrong with adding evoo to your diet, IMO. As a monosaturated oil, it is very good for you. There are so many oils and plants on these boards that can promote hair growth.

However, you hair, except in that spot looks really thick and healthy. I think that the evoo could not harm you as an added oil for your hair but the real issue here is what is causing your thinning and hair loss?

heidi w.
November 14th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Anemia isn't that what causes iron to be low? My iron was tested several months ago (back in the summer) and I was told it was fine. Now several months before that when my child was born they said my iron was low but they said that is normal after having a baby. I always bruise really easy and thought that was a sign of low iron but like I said it was normal then. And please forgive me if iron and anemia have nothing to do with each other...I may be thinking of something alot different.

You've got it right. That's the answer I anticipated. Something is going on with your hair follicles themselves, is my best guess.

heidi w.

vindo
November 14th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I agree sls can be a strong irritant but it depends on the percentage used in a product. I used to use an sls liquid soap that was very strong used straight but diluted was fine, even on my sensitive skin.

In Head & Shoulders, sls is not the primary cleanser but there are gentler shampoos that contain zink pyrithione that may be preferable, if the itching plainjaingirl has is from the cleansing system in it. The itching may be from something else in the shampoo.

Well, it is not only an irritant, I was just alarmed thinking of irrtation making it worse, especially if there is redness already. A friend of mine developed an eczema (which resulted into hair loss) from an altered, low concentrated sls formula hidden in "natural" hair care.
In fact it does not need much to irritate as low as 0.5% could cause irritation and concentrations of 10-30% caused skin corrosion and severe irritation.
National Institutes of Health "Household Products Directory" (http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=chem&id=98&query=sodium%2Blauryl%2Bsulfate) of chemical ingredients lists over 80 products that contain sodium lauryl sulfate. Some soaps have concentrations of up to 30%, which the ACT report called "highly irritating and dangerous".
Other Effects: Hormone Imbalance, Protein Denaturing, Carcenogenicity

Anemia is a good thought and it can cause hair loss, I heard about the test but low iron can appear very sudden, especially after a pregnancy.
Don't know if that link has been posted:
http://www.crediblereviews.com/health/545/anemia-and-hair-loss (http://www.crediblereviews.com/health/545/anemia-and-hair-loss)

plainjanegirl
November 14th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Well, it is not only an irritant, I was just alarmed thinking of irrtation making it worse, especially if there is redness already. A friend of mine developed an eczema (which resulted into hair loss) from an altered, low concentrated sls formula hidden in "natural" hair care.
In fact it does not need much to irritate as low as 0.5% could cause irritation and concentrations of 10-30% caused skin corrosion and severe irritation.
National Institutes of Health "Household Products Directory" (http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=chem&id=98&query=sodium%2Blauryl%2Bsulfate) of chemical ingredients lists over 80 products that contain sodium lauryl sulfate. Some soaps have concentrations of up to 30%, which the ACT report called "highly irritating and dangerous".
Other Effects: Hormone Imbalance, Protein Denaturing, Carcenogenicity

Anemia is a good thought and it can cause hair loss, I heard about the test but low iron can appear very sudden, especially after a pregnancy.
Don't know if that link has been posted:
http://www.crediblereviews.com/health/545/anemia-and-hair-loss (http://www.crediblereviews.com/health/545/anemia-and-hair-loss)

Thanks for the links. The second one struck a note with me. here was a quote from that link:
The most common cause for hair loss is iron deficiency. Iron deficiency or anemia wherein the body has a low iron level than what the body requires. Due to a low iron deficiency the number of red blood cells is reduced in the blood and result in a number of ailments.
hair loss and anemia (http://www.hairlosstreatmentforbaldness.com/hair-loss-anemia.html) is on the rise nowadays. According to a three-year study of women suffering from loss of hair in the late 1990’s iron deficiency had been identified as the cause of hair loss in 72% of pre-menopausal women.

Maybe I will see if she could retest my iron...couldn't hurt.
Also when you get tests done , if you ask would a dr. give you your actual numbers instead of just saying they were normal....so then I could ee if they were borderline or will most drs. not do that?

Arctic_Mama
November 14th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I normally have good iron and anemia snuck up on me after both of my pregnancies. Being chilled sand lethargic were my clues, but had it gotten worse or gone on longer hair loss would have been a real possibility.

Start an over-the-counter iron supplement just to be safe, and see how you feel. That amount of additional iron won't hurt you if you're not deficient but it should make a visible difference if you are.

...Or you could eat a bunch of liver every day instead. I prefer the caplets, thanks :p

plainjanegirl
November 14th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I normally have good iron and anemia snuck up on me after both of my pregnancies. Being chilled sand lethargic were my clues, but had it gotten worse or gone on longer hair loss would have been a real possibility.

Start an over-the-counter iron supplement just to be safe, and see how you feel. That amount of additional iron won't hurt you if you're not deficient but it should make a visible difference if you are.

...Or you could eat a bunch of liver every day instead. I prefer the caplets, thanks :p

I think I would prefer the iron over the liver....haha....thanks.

eadwine
November 14th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Also when you get tests done , if you ask would a dr. give you your actual numbers instead of just saying they were normal....so then I could ee if they were borderline or will most drs. not do that?

Why wouldn't they? You are entitled to know things about YOUR body, after all, it isn't their private info.

I have been following this a little bit, and I sure hope you will find what exactly it is that is the cause of it!

ktani
November 15th, 2008, 08:12 AM
The sls cancer connection has been proven to be a hoax and a scam perpetrated by uncrupulous vendors selling "natural" products.
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/skin-care-facts-sodium-lauryl-sulfate-sodium-laureth-sulfate.aspx

and
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/shampoo.asp

Percentages of sls in shampoos don't come close to that amount if they are formulated correctly, IMO.

I agree that sls can irritate but not everyone can get irritation or excema from it. I have excema. I was born with it. Sles shampoo does not exacerbate it for me. Either did diluted sls used on my skin. My hair is not damaged. I do not have hair loss.

ktani
November 15th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Excema

"No one really knows what causes eczema. However, we do know that people with eczema have skin that is different."
http://www.eczemacanada.ca/en/what/causes.php

.... Although most eczema recommendations use the terms "detergents" and "soaps" interchangeably, and tell eczema sufferers to avoid both, detergents and soaps are not the same and are not equally problematic to eczema sufferers. Sodium lauryl sulfate, the most common household detergent, has been shown to amplify the allergenicity of other substances ("increase antigen penetration") ........

there is no one agreed-upon best kind of skin cleanser for eczema sufferers. Different clinical tests, sponsored by different personal product companies, unsurprisingly tout various brands as the most skin-friendly based on specific properties of various products and different underlying assumptions as to what really determines skin friendliness. The terms "hypoallergenic" and "doctor tested" are not regulated,[23] and no research has been done showing that products labeled "hypoallergenic" are in fact less problematic than any others".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema

ktani
November 15th, 2008, 09:08 AM
More on excema

"New Research: Probiotics for Eczema, and a Word of Caution"
http://foodallergies.about.com/b/2008/01/29/new-research-probiotics-for-eczema-and-a-word-of-caution.htm

plainjanegirl
November 15th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I did use monistat last night. Right now what do I have to lose....I mean there's not much hair in that back area so maybe it will help some new hair grow.

Also I got to thinking I had my hair colored early in 2008 at a salon and then I had my grandma color my hair at home in May and surely they would have noticed when pulling the hair up to get all the color on the hair if I had an almost bald spot.

ktani
November 15th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Just monitor everything right now in terms of reactions and how you feel. Each thing you try can have a reaction of its own.

That is not necessarily a bag thing, just record each as best you can to be able to be clear in your mind and to the doctor(s) of what is going on. That extends to how you feel in general too. Lack of sleep, fatigue, etc. It all adds up in terms of a diagnosis, aside from tests.

I agree that the timing has to do with things too, in terms of others and you noticing this.

Darkhorse1
November 15th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Hey plainjanegirl--I just made a new post about dandruff. Some facts that were NOT anywhere on the net. That's just proof that the real knowledge lies in health care professionals. You know what? Go to your pharmasist and speak to him/her. They can answer some basic questions--they can't diagnose you or anything, but they can answer questions.

Low iron has many, many symptoms: Lethargy, hair loss/thin hair/dry hair, dry skin, low weight/weight loss. My neighbor had serious iron level issues, to the point where she was so anemic, they wanted to give her a blood transfusion. So, I think you'd know if you were in a really bad iron level state. A multivitamin can help with basic problems along that line.

If you look at your photos, you see those thin/fine hairs? That's new growth. And you have TONS of it!!! So, that's a great thing!

I really think it's stress. I did some image searches about stress and hair loss and WOW....photos much worse than yours-- I won't add them because I don't want to stress you out more.

Good luck and try not to worry. :)

plainjanegirl
November 15th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Hey plainjanegirl--I just made a new post about dandruff. Some facts that were NOT anywhere on the net. That's just proof that the real knowledge lies in health care professionals. You know what? Go to your pharmasist and speak to him/her. They can answer some basic questions--they can't diagnose you or anything, but they can answer questions.

Low iron has many, many symptoms: Lethargy, hair loss/thin hair/dry hair, dry skin, low weight/weight loss. My neighbor had serious iron level issues, to the point where she was so anemic, they wanted to give her a blood transfusion. So, I think you'd know if you were in a really bad iron level state. A multivitamin can help with basic problems along that line.

If you look at your photos, you see those thin/fine hairs? That's new growth. And you have TONS of it!!! So, that's a great thing!

I really think it's stress. I did some image searches about stress and hair loss and WOW....photos much worse than yours-- I won't add them because I don't want to stress you out more.

Hey if you don't mind would you post the links to the pics of hair loss from stress that you found? I never did find any stress related pics. Thanks!

plainjanegirl
November 15th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I am gonna take some new pics of the back of my hair area today since those pics were from 3 weeks ago....just to see if it looks like there is any new growth or less hair. I used some oil stuff a couple times and monistat a couple times but not on a regular basis to count them....I am bad at getting on a consistent routine.

Darkhorse1
November 15th, 2008, 05:59 PM
The pics are pretty bad plainjane--you sure you want to see? I'll just provide the link, but warning, they are shocking.

http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/alopecia_areata.html

That is a dermatological website. Again, remember, I didn't get half of the best information I got, from the web. Speaking to a pharmasist got me better advice than the web.

Darkhorse1
November 15th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Just wanted to add, my step sister had severe alopecia a. She lost all her hair (beautiful red spiral curls like Nicole Kidman), as well as her eyebrows and eyelashes. She was under extreme stress getting her PHd. When she was done, her hair grew back, eyebrows and eye lashes.

vindo
November 16th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the links. The second one struck a note with me. here was a quote from that link:
The most common cause for hair loss is iron deficiency. Iron deficiency or anemia wherein the body has a low iron level than what the body requires. Due to a low iron deficiency the number of red blood cells is reduced in the blood and result in a number of ailments.
hair loss and anemia (http://www.hairlosstreatmentforbaldness.com/hair-loss-anemia.html) is on the rise nowadays. According to a three-year study of women suffering from loss of hair in the late 1990’s iron deficiency had been identified as the cause of hair loss in 72% of pre-menopausal women.

Usually a Dr. will give you your numbers and explain to you what numbers are borderline, low, high etc.
I was told my numbers when I got my thyroids tested.
Right, it does not hurt to get it checked and it would be an easy fix :)

Have you felt any improvement on head and shoulders like the redness going away for ex. or anything else?

The sls cancer connection has been proven to be a hoax and a scam perpetrated by uncrupulous vendors selling "natural" products.
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/skin-care-facts-sodium-lauryl-sulfate-sodium-laureth-sulfate.aspx

and
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/shampoo.asp

Percentages of sls in shampoos don't come close to that amount if they are formulated correctly, IMO.

I know those links and also the fact that many try to fight off the cancer accusation. But here is the thing many people do not understand:
A carcinogen does not mean cancer word for word. It is something that can trigger cell mutation, result into protein denatureing. That said - it will of course take a long time to really take effect, and then there is also so many more things that are stronger carcinogens. But, every human is at risk for cancer and carries more or less cells of that type, or develops them with age. Why "feed" them?
Another reason this is being fought off, is of course, the much larger and popular market for conventional brands such as Pantene. Naturally, they don't like people hearing about that.
The cancer study was conducted in 1982 btw, but the latest studies are as new as 2008. And it was not the "natural brands" testing for this, it was Universitys and other non-profit organisations.

With all that in mind I would be careful to say - "there is nothing related to cancer in there", but I also would not say you "will get cancer" if you use it.
It's just an easy to avoid risk IMO.

I agree that sls can irritate but not everyone can get irritation or excema from it. I have excema. I was born with it. Sles shampoo does not exacerbate it for me. Either did diluted sls used on my skin. My hair is not damaged. I do not have hair loss

You know what... I have used SLS shampoo until my hair was hip-length and it was not dry or damaged nor did I have hairloss or excema. But other people may not be as fortunate :(, and those are the ones I am considering when I offer advice. All my friends have had improvements after switching..it's always worth a try I think.

Darkhorse those pictures are very graphic, a friend of mine had experienced the same type of patchy hair loss seen in the first picture, another lost all his hair at a young age due to traumatic events and is since bald.
Alopecia has so many faces..

One more thing I found about hair loss at the nape (Q & A from Derm Doc):

Q: I have a full head of hair which is shoulder length. However due to many years of wearing a pony tail, I have developed a mild traction alopecia around the neck line and slightly behind the ears. Because of this, I am not able to wear my hair up, or side swept which limits my hairstyles. I was wondering if I may perhaps benefit from follicular hair transplant?
A:Tight pony tails or ‘pig-tails’ can cause traction alopecia (hair loss from constant pulling). Of interest, the ‘falls’ that women use to add fullness to hair are a frequent cause of hair loss in women who use them to make their hair appear fuller. The more the use, the thinner the hair gets and the cycle of more use to treat thinner hair produces more thin hair.
With that said, the traction alopecia may not be permanent, that is, if you stop putting the traction on it. To find out, you would need to stop using a ‘pony tail’ for at least 6-8 months. What hair does not come back is probably permanent. There is a difference in the hair at the nape of the neck (which often has a different genetic ‘permanence’) then other scalp hair. Hair in the nape of the neck is generally more fragile and can be lost with stress (like traction).

ktani
November 16th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I know those links and also the fact that many try to fight off the cancer accusation. But here is the thing many people do not understand:
A carcinogen does not mean cancer word for word. It is something that can trigger cell mutation, result into protein denatureing. That said - it will of course take a long time to really take effect, and then there is also so many more things that are stronger carcinogens. But, every human is at risk for cancer and carries more or less cells of that type, or develops them with age. Why "feed" them?
Another reason this is being fought off, is of course, the much larger and popular market for conventional brands such as Pantene. Naturally, they don't like people hearing about that.
The cancer study was conducted in 1982 btw, but the latest studies are as new as 2008. And it was not the "natural brands" testing for this, it was Universitys and other non-profit organisations.

With all that in mind I would be careful to say - "there is nothing related to cancer in there", but I also would not say you "will get cancer" if you use it.
It's just an easy to avoid risk IMO.

You know what... I have used SLS shampoo until my hair was hip-length and it was not dry or damaged nor did I have hairloss or excema. But other people may not be as fortunate :(, and those are the ones I am considering when I offer advice. All my friends have had improvements after switching..it's always worth a try I think.

I have not seen any recent studies either that connect sls to cancer and I understand what you are saying. I said that natural product vendors use scare tactics and unfounded claims to sell their products, not that they did the research.

Yes, many things can contribute to cancer. I have not seen reputable research by anyone saying sls is a contributing factor. References to carcinogens are referring to cancer.

2008 on the American Cancer Society Website
"Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and its chemical cousin sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) are known irritants, not known carcinogens."
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/MED/content/MED_6_1x_Shampoo.asp?sitearea=MED

ktani
November 16th, 2008, 02:58 PM
When certain ingredient combinations, percentages and single ingredients were found to be legitimately suspect of causing problems, reputable cosmetic companies acted and modified or removed them from their products.

I do not believe that with the billions of dollars they have, plus a very good research division of their own IMO, P&G, who make Pantene and Head & Shoulders, would risk the bottom line, their profit margin, by deliberately selling products that are in any way harmful.

I do believe that like Unilever and many other reputable cosmetic companies, they are on top of the latest ingredient research information and have it long before any of us do through the internet.

The implication or accusation that these companies are knowingly selling harmful products in the marketplace is just not plausible to me.

Small companies with no estabished reputations and others, who use toxic herbs, cheaper quality ingredients that may or may not be contaminated and questionable formulations, are far more suspect to me in terms of safety.

The natural health care conspiracy theorists, and I am referring to the marketing companies behind many of these false accusations, are dangerous purveryors of deceit, IMO.

One can openly buy cigarettes to smoke and alcohol to drink but the companies that sell them no longer dare to say that they are safe in terms of health risks. There is too much legitimate information available to refute that.

Reputable cosmetic companies large and small, have too much to lose by not complying with the cosmetic safety regulations in place and the latest research results recommendations, the newest of which in hair colour for example, is lowering the PPD content in hair colour from 6% to 2.

ktani
November 16th, 2008, 05:21 PM
These are the kinds of things larger, reputable cosmetics companies do and they have the resources to do them. I believe them. They risk too much by not telling the truth. Too many legitimate experts are watching, who will challenge them if something is not as stated.

Unilever
".... risk assessments are undertaken by our Safety and Environmental Assurance Centre .... welfare of vulnerable groups, such as young children, pregnant women and old people, is always taken into account. We keep a constant watch on scientific developments and review our findings in the light of new information."
http://www.unilever.com/ourvalues/environment-society/sustainable-development-report/people-partners/consumers/chemicals-in-products/safety-testing.asp?linkid=navigation

P&G
"Most products are manufactured from ingredients that are included in a published standard list (for example, the European Inventory of Existing Chemical Substances .... or the International Cosmetic Ingredient Handbook (available from the U.S. Cosmetic, Toiletries and Fragrance Association .... In the case of EINECS, these chemicals have been approved by the government."
http://www.pgbeautyscience.com/ingredient-safety.html

Head & Shoulder Smooth & Silky 2 in 1 Dandruff Shampoo MSDS dated May 2008
"The product(s) does not contain ingredients considered hazardous as defined by OSHA, 29 CFR
1910.1200 and/or WHMIS under the HPA."
http://www.pg.com/content/pdf/01_about_pg/msds/beauty_care/haircare/head_and_shoulders/Head_and_Shoulders_Smooth_Silky_2_in_1_Pyrithione_ Zinc_Dandruff_Shampoo_(95395139).pdf

ktani
November 16th, 2008, 06:09 PM
And news from the other side of things, natural products that aren't necessarily natural at all.

"Reacting in part to a study released by the Organic Consumers Association (http://www.organicconsumers.org/bodycare/DioxaneRelease08.cfm)in March of this year .... also based on their own testing, the Attorney General of California filed a major lawsuit against body care household-cleaning product companies (Whole Foods, Avalon and others) whose products recently tested highest for the carcinogenic contaminant 1,4-Dioxane (http://www.organicconsumers.org/bodycare/DioxaneFacts080314.pdf)."
http://www.organicconsumers.org/bodycare/index.cfm

".... newly released study commissioned by the Organic Consumers Association .... overseen by environmental health consumer advocate David Steinman, analyzes leading "natural" and "organic" brand shampoos, body washes, lotions and .... personal care products for the presence of the undisclosed carcinogenic contaminant 1,4-Dioxane. A reputable third-party laboratory known for rigorous testing and chain-of-custody protocols, performed all testing."
http://www.organicconsumers.org/bodycare/DioxaneResults08.cfm

".... State of California, under proposition 65, listed 1,4-dioxane as a chemical known to cause cancer on January 1, 1988."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,4-Dioxane

plainjanegirl
November 16th, 2008, 06:12 PM

Are you experiencing any dryness from the dandruff shampoo?
My ends have become dry and rough. They were doing much better with the Pantene.

ktani
November 16th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Are you experiencing any dryness from the dandruff shampoo?
My ends have become dry and rough. They were doing much better with the Pantene.

Are you following the 2 in 1 with conditioner? Most 2 in 1 shampoos are not noted to have sufficient conditioner for drier types of hair. P&G do make dandruff conditioners, separately in the Head & Shoulders line.

plainjanegirl
November 16th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Are you following the 2 in 1 with conditioner? Most 2 in 1 shampoos are not noted to have sufficient conditioner for drier types of hair. P&G do make dandruff conditioners, separately in the Head & Shoulders line.

Thanks!
No I have not. Maybe I can use the 2 in 1 head and shoulders but follow with my Pantene conditioner which I normally leave on my hair for 3-5 minutes.

ktani
November 16th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks!
No I have not. Maybe I can use the 2 in 1 head and shoulders but follow with my Pantene conditioner which I normally leave on my hair for 3-5 minutes.

That sounds like a great idea. It said in one of the other links, that you do not have to give up your regular conditioner, when using a dandruff shampoo.

ktani
November 16th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Here you go.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=344733&postcount=126

Darkhorse1
November 16th, 2008, 07:10 PM
plainjanegirl--yes, I did notice my ends got like straw with extended use. That was with the zinc based shampoo from the salon. I didn't have a problem with head and shoulders though, and the nizoral made my hair SO SOFT! :) I think it depends on the active ingredient.

ktani
November 16th, 2008, 07:18 PM
The zink pyrithione in Head & Shoulders is 1%. I think that it may just be the formulation but with conditioner, it should be better.

Darkhorse1
November 16th, 2008, 07:22 PM
The salon shampoo I used had 2% zinc pyra-something...I think. In anysense, I also had stopped using coney conditioners when I started the shampoo, so I'd think there was something to do with that --for me that is. I also work outdoors/in the elements, and we're getting snow now. I've started using a leave in conditioner--spray on by joico called integrity. I LOVE the stuff.

ktani
November 16th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Nizoral has a gentler formula than Head & Shoulders.

"Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1"
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=38160&catid=10349

plainjanegirl
November 16th, 2008, 07:24 PM
If I can wait till Tuesday I will let you know if using the pantene conditioner after the head and shoulders helps. My hair likes to be difficult and it had been doing really good for awhile.

ktani
November 16th, 2008, 07:26 PM
If I can wait till Tuesday I will let you know if using the pantene conditioner after the head and shoulders helps. My hair likes to be difficult and it had been doing really good for awhile.

You can also alternate between Nizoral and Head & Shoulders, so that nothing goes to waste.

plainjanegirl
November 16th, 2008, 07:28 PM
The weather has gotten colder here, but I'm not outside much or anything like that.
I actually washed again today even though I did yesterday and I clarified and did a cholesterol treatment . It had been about a month since I did this. But my ends are still not better.

ktani
November 16th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I think the Pantene conditioner should help. In fall and winter, indoor heat takes its toll on hair, as much as outside conditions, from my experience.

ktani
November 16th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Making sense of the 1,4 Dioxane natural products scandal.

U. S. EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) Fact Sheet
http://www.clu-in.org/download/contaminantfocus/epa542f07004.pdf

Cancer Myths and Facts 2008
The ATSDR revised notice advises consumers to read labels:
"1, 4-dioxane may be a contaminant in cosmetics, detergents, and shampoos that contain the following ingredients (which may be listed on the product label): "PEG," "polyethylene," "polyethylene glycol," "polyoxyethylene," "-eth-" or "-oxynol-."

*Most manufacturers remove 1, 4-dioxane from these ingredients to concentrations recommended by the FDA as safe. .... most products on the market today contain 1,4-dioxane in very small amounts or not at all. .... some cosmetics, detergents, and shampoos may contain 1, 4-dioxane at levels higher than recommended by the FDA. Because products contaminated at concentrations higher than the FDA-recommended levels are not possible to determine without testing, families should avoid using products containing the ingredients listed above unless the manufacturer can guarantee that 1, 4-dioxane is below the FDA-recommended level.

In 1992, 1, 4-dioxane was listed as a banned ingredient in cosmetics. But, in 2001, FDA scientists reported finding increased levels in a number of consumer products. Within the past few years, the European Union has banned the use of para-dioxane in all personal care products and recently initiated a recall of any contaminated products, including a number of children's bath products."
http://environmentaloncology.org/mythsfacts

Facts on 1,4 Dioxane 2007
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts187.html

MSDS 2007
"Probable carcinogen ....Treat as a potential carcinogen."
http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/DI/1,4-dioxane.html

Darkhorse1
November 16th, 2008, 08:57 PM
If you want a great conditioner, Pantene Daily moisture renewel was the best I used to soften my ends. It's coney, and will weigh ends down over months of use, but then after a few weeks of not using it, that goes away.

Yep, it's getting colder. Winter is a coming. Ktani--you're in my neck of the woods, yes? Did you get snow yesterday and today? It was icy where I was because of the cold snap after that pouring rain!

ktani
November 16th, 2008, 09:01 PM
No snow here now but there has been on and off. Yesterday where I am, rain.

ktani
November 16th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Teens For Safe Cosmetics 2008

“In March, the Organic Consumers Association released a report …. found almost 50 percent of personal-care products labeled “organic” or “natural” contained 1,4-dioxane, the byproduct of a petrochemical process called ethoxylation. Dioxane …. a known animal carcinogen and a probable human carcinogen, according to the EPA.

Following this report, California Attorney General Jerry Brown filed a lawsuit against manufacturers who failed to provide a warning about 1,4-dioxane in their products, as required by the state’s Proposition 65: The Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act.

…. Senate Bill 484, the California Safe Cosmetics Act. With the passage of the legislation in 2005, California became the first state in the nation to regulate toxic ingredients in cosmetics. The state …. established the California Environmental Contaminant Biomonitoring Program to collect information about toxins and require companies to disclose information about any ingredients identified as causing cancer or birth defects.”
http://www.newsreview.com/chico/Content?oid=799305 (http://www.newsreview.com/chico/Content?oid=799305)

ktani
November 16th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Head & Shoulder Smooth & Silky 2 in 1 Dandruff Shampoo MSDS dated May 2008
"The product(s) does not contain ingredients considered hazardous as defined by OSHA, 29 CFR
1910.1200 and/or WHMIS under the HPA."
http://www.pg.com/content/pdf/01_about_pg/msds/beauty_care/haircare/head_and_shoulders/Head_and_Shoulders_Smooth_Silky_2_in_1_Pyrithione_ Zinc_Dandruff_Shampoo_(95395139).pdf

OSHA
http://www.osha.gov/

WHMIS
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/occup-travail/whmis-simdut/index-eng.php

HPA
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/H-3/

OSHA & EPA
http://www.epa.gov/compliance/civil/osha/oshaenfstatreq.html

Keenkitty
November 17th, 2008, 02:20 AM
After reading this and having some significant stress, but normal blood panels. I am going to try an Iron supplement and Nizoral Shampoo diluted a bit with spring water.

My hair has been falling out every wash and I have balls of hair like this:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/Keenjoy/hairball.jpg

And I am going to pick up an Iron supplement.

Thanks for the plethora of info and I really hope that your hair loss is getting better!

KJ

ktani
November 17th, 2008, 03:59 AM
After reading this and having some significant stress, but normal blood panels. I am going to try an Iron supplement and Nizoral Shampoo diluted a bit with spring water.

My hair has been falling out every wash and I have balls of hair like this:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g82/Keenjoy/hairball.jpg

And I am going to pick up an Iron supplement.

Thanks for the plethora of info and I really hope that your hair loss is getting better!

KJ

I am really sorry for your hair loss but I think that you should follow up with your doctor to determine the exact cause and a recommended course of treatment.

Keenkitty
November 20th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Thats where I got the blood panel with complete CBC. I already checked with him, thats how I found I was anemic.

consequently now I find if I forget to take my iron my energy is low too.

KJ

ktani
November 20th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Thats where I got the blood panel with complete CBC. I already checked with him, thats how I found I was anemic.

consequently now I find if I forget to take my iron my energy is low too.

KJ

Got it, thank you for clarifying that. I was not sure what you meant.

bjt
December 1st, 2008, 06:38 PM
Hey Plainjanegirl! How are you doing? any improvement??

Darkhorse1
December 1st, 2008, 07:00 PM
OMG! Keen---I'm glad you saw your doctor. When I shed hair due to stress, it wasn't that quantity. My neighbor was losing hair due to really low iron levels. (and stress/etc). She's since moved, so I don't know how things are for her.

plainjanegirl
January 28th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Ok so if anyone is interested I finally uploaded some new pics. Give me your honest feedback as to whether you think the bald area is the same, has gotten better, or has gotten worse. Thanks.

Sorry I tried to get a pic here and I keep messing it up. They are in my album though. Again thanks for any feedback!

SimplyLonghair
January 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I think that it looks thicker, but it is hard to tell, because it is darker in the new pics and therefor shows up better. But it does look nice. :D

chrissy-b
January 28th, 2009, 03:13 PM
plainjanegirl, I looked at your recent photos and it doesn't look like it's gotten worse but it also doesn't look like it's gotten any better. I'm so sorry. What does your doctor say about it?

Anje
January 28th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Well, obviously, it's still there, but I think it might be filling in a little around the edges.

I can't get over how thick the remaining hair is, though.

plainjanegirl
January 28th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Well, obviously, it's still there, but I think it might be filling in a little around the edges.

I can't get over how thick the remaining hair is, though.

And to think I feel that my hair is thin. I think maybe my cones are weighing it down some. I am gonna try some cheap suave and see if that gives me more volume. See why I am so tempted to try mega- tek (especially since it says good on bare spots....I mean that is a good sized bare spot on my head).

leilamarie79
January 29th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I am on medication that made my hair fall out in clumps. It was so thin in the front that you could see my scalp no matter what I did. My doctor told me to start taking selenium and biotin. The only vitamins I could find that have both of these in it are Shen Min Hair, Skin, and Nails, available at vitaminshoppe.com. After about three months on these vitamins, my hair started growing back, and it is now almost completely back to normal. As a bonus, it makes your hair grow faster, if you are looking for more length.