PDA

View Full Version : Braiding?

bluekarma
December 17th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Hi guys! My hair is really long and I'm getting tired of keeping it down because buns are too heavy to keep up and I don't know how to braid well. Does anyone have advice for when you want to learn how to braid really long hair? It's very difficult to separate (and keep separated) and when I braid at the top, it will start to braid along with me at the bottom... my hair is very thick and is down to my tailbone. I'm afraid if I don't learn some upkeep soon I'm going to end up with a foot chopped off in frustration. Anyone out there who has had this problem? ;) -Catherine
http://imgur.com/a/vff4e

Borgessa
December 17th, 2016, 08:26 PM
Youtube and watch someone with really long hair do it. Torrin has great instructional video's, she runs her hands through to the ends of her hair with each cross over to prevent the bottoms braiding themselves. I do this too, and my hair is short by comparison ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oleIpTxb6M

Check out a few of her braiding video's she's awesome :)

neko_kawaii
December 17th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Another one to check out is Gossamer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQYqJX9gGb0). Basically, you have to follow each section to the ends, if not every time you cross over, then fairly frequently to prevent back braiding.

littlestarface
December 17th, 2016, 08:33 PM
It's really simple I just got done braiding 4 braids in my hair right now with oil smothered in it.

When one has long or longish hair when braiding it's best to run your hands down each piece while your braiding, that way it doesn't begin to make it's own braid at the bottom on its own. Takes patience but it's worth it and better than say chopping off.

NimbleNut
December 17th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Wow! I don't have any tips but wanted to say that you have really beautiful hair! When I grow up I want hair like yours! 😁

bluekarma
December 19th, 2016, 10:01 PM
Thank you all so much for commenting! Yeah, I haven't been working all the way down-- just kind of braiding at the top and getting frustrated. I will look at all youtube channels provided! I would use oil for my hair but it's really noticeable and my hair type is prone to greasing up easily if I don't wash often ;S also ty nimblenut! To be honest, I was kind of scared to post a thread here (talking with people irl is always a competition of some sort, like "wow catherine you don't know how to do that? I've done that since I was -3 years old") and I am very grateful to have stumbled across such a welcoming website :D

Borgessa
December 19th, 2016, 10:18 PM
Thank you all so much for commenting! Yeah, I haven't been working all the way down-- just kind of braiding at the top and getting frustrated. I will look at all youtube channels provided! I would use oil for my hair but it's really noticeable and my hair type is prone to greasing up easily if I don't wash often ;S also ty nimblenut! To be honest, I was kind of scared to post a thread here (talking with people irl is always a competition of some sort, like "wow catherine you don't know how to do that? I've done that since I was -3 years old") and I am very grateful to have stumbled across such a welcoming website :D

I use the oil either the night before i wash, or about 2 to 3 hours before i wash, then I condition, shampoo, and condition, I think the conditioner is good for washing the oil out, don't use huge amounts either, Extra virgin coconut oil is really good for my hair, leaves it nice and soft, I can use lighter oilings on days i don't watch but, yeah gonna look greasy if ya put too much in. The websites you have been directed too will also show you how these ladies oil there hair, check that out whilst your there :)

LadyCelestina
December 20th, 2016, 01:14 AM
Also for french or dutch braids, I like to have claw clips ready so I can secure each section if a knot occurs or my hands get tired. + having slightly damp hair works better for me than 100% dry.

long and strong
December 20th, 2016, 02:22 AM
YouTube and plenty of sitting around practicing.

Borgessa has beaten me to it, but I was also going to suggest Torrin Paige on youtube. And I agree with separating each section after each cross over.

Rather than oiling your whole hair, perhaps just use a tiny little residue on your hands, just to help them slide through your hair a bit easier.... at least just while your practicing at home.

I also find doing two braided pigtails down each side of my head easier than one central one, as its not such a big reach around to the back of my head. That way, I can see what I'm doing in the mirror and I can continue the braid down over my shoulder and in front of me.

Practice practice practice!

Pumpkin3826
December 21st, 2016, 04:40 PM
Like many others on here have said I agree, youtube!!! The tricky part is to not watch your self in the mirror, that is what messes me up, when I taught my self to French braid I would have to turn away from the mirror and only turn back if I dropped a piece. It gets easier if you just go by feel, your hands will learn what to do over time. Just take your time and practice, I would say start out with the basic side braid, because with hair as long as yours a braid straight down the back would be very hard and hurt your arms. If it braids at the bottom while you are trying to braid the top just simply go slow and separate the three sections every time you cross one over (if that make sense).

Good luck! Braids are so comfortable and beautiful! Don't give up! :)

Aunty Miki
December 21st, 2016, 11:06 PM
I'm learning to braid my own hair, and so far have decided to do one side braid during the day to keep it protected. I wear it loose at night, though, for comfort. I'd love to learn how to French braid, too!