PDA

View Full Version : Natural conditioners and slip

Katia_k
December 17th, 2016, 04:04 PM
I've been here for about a year, and been natural for that time, and I've noticed that I can't really seem to find a conditioner that leaves my hair feeling "silky" after it's washed out. I have stuff that leaves me feeling decently moisturized, but I don't get that silky texture once all the conditioner's gone.

So I was just curious, is this post-conditioner slipperiness something that's related to cones and that "plastic coating" they leave behind, or are there still natural conditioners that do this? I have some that feel pretty silky while washing out, but once I have them all rinsed away, my hair may be soft, but it's not what I think of as "silky" (want to see how many times I can air-quote something? So do I. :D) I know a lot of people don't wash out *all* their conditioner, but I don't think this would be an option for me, as I'm prone to gunky build-up because of low porrosity.

This was just my "food for thought" as I washed out my conditioner today, and I thought I'd ask the lovely folks here if I've lost that magical slippy feeling forever by giving up cones, or if I still have to keep questing for the perfect conditioner. Finally, I should add that I have found conditioners that leave my hair feeling really nice once it's dry, just nothing that gives me the silky feeling while wet.

turtlelover
December 17th, 2016, 04:07 PM
The cone free Nexxus stuff that I have seems to have decent slip, though I don't think you can beat hardcore cones for detangling!

Annalouise
December 17th, 2016, 04:44 PM
I can no longer use products with fragrance, however when I did use fragrance Biolage conditioning balm was my favorite and it is cone free. It makes my hair feel very moisturized and silky. I think what gives the product "slip" is not necessarily a silicone. In fact, I have heard that this ingredient provides a slippery quality to conditioners: behentromonium methosulphate.
I am cone free as well.:)

Katia_k
December 17th, 2016, 04:49 PM
I can no longer use products with fragrance, however when I did use fragrance Biolage conditioning balm was my favorite and it is cone free. It makes my hair feel very moisturized and silky. I think what gives the product "slip" is not necessarily a silicone. In fact, I have heard that this ingredient provides a slippery quality to conditioners: behentromonium methosulphate.
I am cone free as well.:)

I do love the conditioning balm. Not as natural as I would like, and holy mother of pearl does it smell strongly, but it is really good for slip.

I use it, but man that smell...it's like sticking my head into a salon. I do also get decent slip from what I'm using now, Nature's Gate strengthening conditioner, just not the same as I feel like I used to get.

Annalouise
December 17th, 2016, 04:55 PM
If you are looking for a "natural" conditioner that feels slippery I would suggest juice organics deep conditioner. It's pretty good for slip. They also have a smoothing conditioner that is VERY slippery. I stopped using them because they contain natural scents in them. However, they are pretty good products. They are natural though so they do go bad after a couple months. You'll want to use them up right away. :)

Annalouise
December 17th, 2016, 05:04 PM
I do love the conditioning balm. Not as natural as I would like, and holy mother of pearl does it smell strongly, but it is really good for slip.

I use it, but man that smell...it's like sticking my head into a salon. I do also get decent slip from what I'm using now, Nature's Gate strengthening conditioner, just not the same as I feel like I used to get.

I know, I know... its bad. :tbear:

mizukitty
December 17th, 2016, 06:35 PM
SheaMoisture products have excellent slip and all of them are natural and cone free. Honestly couldn't believe it the first few times because it felt incredibly cone-y. But no, you don't need cones or chemical-laden products to get silky hair. It's also a matter of buildup, I can use the most cone-y conditioner in the world on built-up hair and it'll never feel silky, but on clarified hair any conditioner pretty much does it! Make sure to keep up with clarifying!

turtlelover
December 17th, 2016, 06:57 PM
I know, I know... its bad. :tbear:

I thought I was the only one that HATED the smell of that stuff, but apparently not! LOL

Katia_k
December 17th, 2016, 07:05 PM
SheaMoisture products have excellent slip and all of them are natural and cone free. Honestly couldn't believe it the first few times because it felt incredibly cone-y. But no, you don't need cones or chemical-laden products to get silky hair. It's also a matter of buildup, I can use the most cone-y conditioner in the world on built-up hair and it'll never feel silky, but on clarified hair any conditioner pretty much does it! Make sure to keep up with clarifying!

My normal shampoo is a daily clarifyer, so that at least is not a problem. And I have used the SM line--it was my first natural conditioner, and at first I loved it. But after I did my first henna, it kind of stopped working for me. Makes my hair feel coated now. It is pretty heavy for my LP hair, so I've moved away from it.

I thought I was the only one that HATED the smell of that stuff, but apparently not! LOL

I liked it the first time I ever used it, and now it kind of makes me choke. But its slip is insane, so I'll tolerate it sometimes, and it makes a freaking awesome SMT....one which possibly makes my nasal passages want to die, but which my hair loves. And the hair gets what the hair wants. lol

turtlelover
December 17th, 2016, 07:30 PM
My normal shampoo is a daily clarifyer, so that at least is not a problem. And I have used the SM line--it was my first natural conditioner, and at first I loved it. But after I did my first henna, it kind of stopped working for me. Makes my hair feel coated now. It is pretty heavy for my LP hair, so I've moved away from it.

I liked it the first time I ever used it, and now it kind of makes me choke. But its slip is insane, so I'll tolerate it sometimes, and it makes a freaking awesome SMT....one which possibly makes my nasal passages want to die, but which my hair loves. And the hair gets what the hair wants. lol

Yeah, I have a bottle somewhere, too, and it works pretty well on me. It probably wouldn't be a bad thing to dig it out for a deep treatment since my furnace has been running non-stop in this cold and the air is dry as a bone. If they'd change the smell, I'd use it more often for sure.

cailinbee
December 17th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Maybe try Acure Organics, the Argan oil one (orange and white packaging). There's definitely a difference between the slippery silkiness of cones and how Acure feels, but with Acure I had ridiculously lovely soft hair! I have a stash to use up before I go back to it but I'm pining after it! It made my hair feel soft and hydrated as well as clean, which was hard to find for a natural/organic product set.

proo
December 18th, 2016, 06:58 AM
Recommending catnip rinse-
It conditions without gunk or fragrance.

Anje
December 18th, 2016, 03:28 PM
BTMS isn't exactly a natural ingredient (though some of the greenwashed brands will say it's from rapeseed or somesuch), but it's a nice quaternary ammonium compound that gives great slip without being a silicone and without being prone to buildup. I tend to keep an eye out for it when I'm reading conditioner labels, because I almost always love products that include it. It gives me loads of slip.

Kinky Curly Knot Today seems to have a lot of slip (on wet hair, not so much on dry) for a product billed as being quite natural and for something that (IIRC) doesn't have the quats or silicones I associate with slip. Great for detangling after a wash, and it's one of the few leave-ins I've tried that didn't leave my hair feeling gunky once it dried. Most conditioner-y things that other people like to leave in just feel waxy to me when dry.

renia22
December 18th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Earthly Delight (now owned by Lafes) gives good slip, but I've noticed the price has gone up quite a bit the past couple of years. Not sure what that's about, but it's a good conditioner.

littlestarface
December 18th, 2016, 05:48 PM
I've been here for about a year, and been natural for that time, and I've noticed that I can't really seem to find a conditioner that leaves my hair feeling "silky" after it's washed out. I have stuff that leaves me feeling decently moisturized, but I don't get that silky texture once all the conditioner's gone.

So I was just curious, is this post-conditioner slipperiness something that's related to cones and that "plastic coating" they leave behind, or are there still natural conditioners that do this? I have some that feel pretty silky while washing out, but once I have them all rinsed away, my hair may be soft, but it's not what I think of as "silky" (want to see how many times I can air-quote something? So do I. :D) I know a lot of people don't wash out *all* their conditioner, but I don't think this would be an option for me, as I'm prone to gunky build-up because of low porrosity.

This was just my "food for thought" as I washed out my conditioner today, and I thought I'd ask the lovely folks here if I've lost that magical slippy feeling forever by giving up cones, or if I still have to keep questing for the perfect conditioner. Finally, I should add that I have found conditioners that leave my hair feeling really nice once it's dry, just nothing that gives me the silky feeling while wet.

You actually like the plastic feeling hair?

And I dont understand why everyone thinks noncone stuff don;t make hair feel silky n soft it's so strange, I always do cone free stuff and my hair feels fantastic after. One should always look for ingredients that will work best for your hair.

Llama
December 18th, 2016, 05:55 PM
I've been enjoying the John Masters Organics Citrus and Neroli detangler, it gives great slip. I also remember loving the Yes to Carrots conditioner. It left my hair very silky feeling. All the other organic/natural conditioners I have tried so far did not give hardly any slip.

Katia_k
December 19th, 2016, 12:14 AM
You actually like the plastic feeling hair?

And I dont understand why everyone thinks noncone stuff don;t make hair feel silky n soft it's so strange, I always do cone free stuff and my hair feels fantastic after. One should always look for ingredients that will work best for your hair.

It's not so much that I think cone-free can't give a good soft feeling, it's more just that it's *not* doing that for me right now, and I wanted to know if the extreme-silkiness is a feeling only associated with cones. I don't plan to go back to using them, because my hair's insanely prone to build-up and I'm trying to treat it right. But I'm basically just trying to figure out if I still haven't found my HG conditioner, or if I just have to adjust my expectations for how my hair will feel after a wash, which is nice, but not silk-smooth like it used to.

lapushka
December 19th, 2016, 03:49 AM

I doubt silicones leave behind a "plastic coating". If so, you would not be able to get your hair wet and it would be more like weather proofing your hair. :lol:

lapushka
December 19th, 2016, 03:51 AM
I hear Tresemme do great conditioners, some are with silicones, others aren't. But they generally give good slip.

littlestarface
December 19th, 2016, 09:57 AM
I doubt silicones leave behind a "plastic coating". If so, you would not be able to get your hair wet and it would be more like weather proofing your hair. :lol:

Some silicones do make hair feel like that amodimethicone and plain dimethicone make my hair feel like a big sheet of plastic is covering my hair like it can't breath but I hate that feeling and have to chelate asap.

thunderseed
December 21st, 2016, 01:57 PM
I would really like to know some natural products too, preferably fragrance-free, or very light fragrance and ph balanced. Right now I'm using Oneka Unscented Conditioner because I found it for sale super cheap at winners, and I really like it, but I'm not going to be able to find it again, unless I buy it online.

I'm also planning on trying the Live Clean hypoallergenic unscented conditioner, it seems to be free of everything bad, and I just phoned their company and they said the ph ranges below 7 too.

Dark40
December 31st, 2016, 07:57 PM
I would try Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner. It has some really nice slip!!!