PDA

View Full Version : Greasy hair!

-ttebayo
December 17th, 2016, 08:43 AM
I'd love to only have to shampoo my hair once a week, I know some women can get away with it, but I always have to shampoo it at least twice. I've skipped up to four-five days of washing, continuously, but my hair just never adjusts and is always greasy by the second or third day. Basically to keep my hair from getting greasy, I'd have to wash it three-four times a week. I only condition my ends, & I use dry shampoo on the greasy days.

Does some hair just never adjust? :( I've been doing this for like four months now.

turtlelover
December 17th, 2016, 08:49 AM
My hair never does. I end up with greasy hair and scalp problems if I go more than a day and a half without washing.

Saldana
December 17th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Have you tried washing twice a week? How about washing on Wednesdays, and then either on Saturday or Sunday. You might have a 'starting to get greasy' day, but you can hide that with an updo or maybe a headscarf or wide hairband.

Or you could wash as often as you feel you need to. There is absolutely no law saying that you can't wash your hair every day if you want to.

Kaya
December 17th, 2016, 08:57 AM
The thing is, it boils down to this simple idea: it's about what your hair wants, not what you want for your hair.

Yes, some people's hair just doesn't/can't adapt to certain hair care techniques. And that's OK! :) What works for one person isn't going to work for everyone. There are a ton of different hair care ideas here and it can be overwhelming. Don't feel bad if something doesn't work for you. It' about finding what your hair is happiest with.

If you need to wash more frequently, don't fret about it. It's what you hair needs and the best thing to do it to go with it!

FWIW: I grew up washing my hair every single day. As an adult, I CO-wash every single day. Different strokes for different folks !:o

vampyyri
December 17th, 2016, 09:02 AM
I can't go more than two days without at least a scalp wash... there's nothing wrong with that, it boils down to genetics if you've tried everything else to extend washes.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
December 17th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Hi always do that which is best for your hair and scalp. This would prevent scalp problems and hair stress. Always remember your scalp and hair is unique.

mizukitty
December 17th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Stretching washes is definitely not for everybody. Four months and still getting greasy means your hair just wants to be washed more frequently. You should listen to it, instead of against it, and wash it when it needs to be washed. You can try scalp only washing if you want to save the length some and cut back on dry time, this is indispensable for me and many others who need to wash frequently but with ends prone to dryness.

-ttebayo
December 17th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Thank you, everyone! This has all been great information. :)

The main reason I was trying to wash less was because my hair has been stuck at BSL since July and I think it's due to damage... or maybe this is just where my hair grows to. :'( Anyway I read somewhere that washing too much can strip your hair of its natural oils so I was worried of further damaging it. But I do have scalp issues that have gotten worse and I think I should go back to shampooing every two days! I do only wash my roots so I'll keep doing that.

Nique1202
December 17th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Thank you, everyone! This has all been great information. :)

The main reason I was trying to wash less was because my hair has been stuck at BSL since July and I think it's due to damage... or maybe this is just where my hair grows to. :'( Anyway I read somewhere that washing too much can strip your hair of its natural oils so I was worried of further damaging it. But I do have scalp issues that have gotten worse and I think I should go back to shampooing every two days! I do only wash my roots so I'll keep doing that.

If Crystal Gayle could grow her hair to the floor while shampooing daily, then the act of washing on its own can't cause THAT much damage in the long run. While laboratory tests say that keeping hair wet longer causes something that could be called damage, I've never heard of a real-life case of hygral fatigue/water damage being the main source of significant damage in hair.

Damage is more likely to come from your brushing/combing habits, how you wear your hair on an everyday basis, how careful you are about your hair rubbing against things or getting caught in stuff. Also, even if you stop doing a damaging habit (like hair dye, straightening, high-heat blow drying, rough brushing, etc.) it will still take a while for the worst of the damage to grow out, even if you trim regularly.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
December 17th, 2016, 09:57 AM
If you feel your ends are getting damaged you can also try a cwc wash method. Or apply a leave-in on your ends. Or maybe try one wash shampoo, the next wash day condition your hair only and rinse your scalp and then the following wash day shampoo. But remember whatever you decide your scalp health is important to create an optimum environment for hair growth. Your mileage may vary.

RebekahE
December 17th, 2016, 09:59 AM
I used to be able to go every 5 days then I had a bunch of problems with my scalp and I was washing every 3 days due to oil, itchies and dandruff. I finally having it under control. The last time I washed I stretched to 5 days, it was super oily and starting to get itchy. Today is my fifth day and the oil is a lot better than it has been, it is starting to itch a tiny bit but way better than it has been. But this time if I have a lot of shedding in the shower like last time I will be doing 4 days next time. As you can probably tell my scalp is very touchy.
Bottom line is, do whatever works best for you, try some different things, shampoo bars, co only, acv rinses, water only. Hope you find something that works for you.

-ttebayo
December 17th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Damage is more likely to come from your brushing/combing habits, how you wear your hair on an everyday basis, how careful you are about your hair rubbing against things or getting caught in stuff. Also, even if you stop doing a damaging habit (like hair dye, straightening, high-heat blow drying, rough brushing, etc.) it will still take a while for the worst of the damage to grow out, even if you trim regularly.

I think most of my damage is from hair dye, bleach, straightening, and getting caught on stuff. It's defintely true that it can take a long time to grow the damage out, maybe longer than I thought. Perhaps there is hope for me and my terminal length isn't actually just to my bra strap. :)

lapushka
December 17th, 2016, 10:14 AM
Yes, I fully agree with everyone else. Think of your scalp health first, then your hair. If you need to wash that much and haven't been able to stretch washes over such a long period of time, let it go. Wash when you need to.

Also, you might like to try out several methods on here, like CWC for instance. Or sulfate-free or CO-washing. Take it one step at a time, though. Slow and steady wins the race. :)

Chromis
December 17th, 2016, 10:21 AM
I think most of my damage is from hair dye, bleach, straightening, and getting caught on stuff. It's defintely true that it can take a long time to grow the damage out, maybe longer than I thought. Perhaps there is hope for me and my terminal length isn't actually just to my bra strap. :)

Ooooh yeah, that sort of thing can easily give you what some of us like to call a "false terminal". It is basically the rate at which your hair cannot grow faster than the amount of damage it is getting. Some people's hair can take more damage than others, but most of us really can't grow super long while bleaching and straightening. There are a few that manage it, but I notice they often are only doing one stressful thing to their hair, not the whole book. There is nothing "wrong" with bleaching or straightening if that is what you wish, but you are not likely to grow to longer lengths doing those things. :flower:

Another common false terminal is where the hair starts to rub on your chair back if you wear it down. Some chairs are quite grabby and it is easy to not to notice if they are not actually pulling-pulling and just rubbing. Fabric covered office chairs are pretty common culprits. Wearing it up solves this very easily and keeps it from getting caught on those evil little gaps by the chair arms or rough edges on your desk or caught up in your scarf/coat, etc.

HeartofHaleth
December 17th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Forgive me if this has already been said, but have you tried scalp-washing? Sometimes my hair can go a week just fine, but sometimes it really needs a mid-week wash. To save time and hopefully be a little nicer to my hair (is scalp-washing nicer? I would think it would reduce hygral fatigue, but I could be wrong), I put my hair back in a braid, wet only the scalp area, and wash with some gentle shampoo, often diluted. This way I'm only washing the most resilient part of my hair, and the fragile ends stay dry. My hair isn't prone to getting really greasy, though, so I don't know if this would work for you.

long and strong
December 17th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Agree with all that's been said before.

I was putting my hair in buns and worrying about it looking greasy and horrid because I was trying to stretch washes.

but then I thought.....

What is the point of me having long beautiful hair if it looks awfull for 4 out of 7 days a week??

I want to enjoy my hair and be able to wear it down, it looks good for 3 days only (3rd day needing dry shampoo) so was every 3 days.

cgirl
December 17th, 2016, 12:24 PM
Ooooh yeah, that sort of thing can easily give you what some of us like to call a "false terminal". It is basically the rate at which your hair cannot grow faster than the amount of damage it is getting. Some people's hair can take more damage than others, but most of us really can't grow super long while bleaching and straightening. There are a few that manage it, but I notice they often are only doing one stressful thing to their hair, not the whole book. There is nothing "wrong" with bleaching or straightening if that is what you wish, but you are not likely to grow to longer lengths doing those things. :flower:

Another common false terminal is where the hair starts to rub on your chair back if you wear it down. Some chairs are quite grabby and it is easy to not to notice if they are not actually pulling-pulling and just rubbing. Fabric covered office chairs are pretty common culprits. Wearing it up solves this very easily and keeps it from getting caught on those evil little gaps by the chair arms or rough edges on your desk or caught up in your scarf/coat, etc.

Does straightening cause false terminal because the ends end up breaking off or because of the chemicals on the scalp, or both?

lapushka
December 17th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Does straightening cause false terminal because the ends end up breaking off or because of the chemicals on the scalp, or both?

Straightening with a super hot tool *can* definitely cause a false terminal (white dots = breakage).

cgirl
December 17th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Straightening with a super hot tool *can* definitely cause a false terminal (white dots = breakage).

What about chemical straightening?

-ttebayo
December 17th, 2016, 01:29 PM

Hey I had those white dots for a while. I don't think I do anymore, but I just know my hair is in very poor condition right now. To be honest I'm probably in need of a major trim. I've been giving myself tiny ones every few months but I only cut off a teensy bit because I'm afraid of losing any length lol. So I've just been nurturing my ends.

animetor7
December 17th, 2016, 01:30 PM
Have you tried washing twice a week but alternating between a regular wash and a gentler one? This worked for me to stretch washes. One wash I'd do my normal routine and the next time I would only do a CO wash. And then slowly remove CO washes and stretch out my washing. I was able to eventually stretch to washing once a week doing this from daily washing years ago by alternating washes like this. And now I think this method works because you're still "teaching" your scalp to be less greasy and cutting down on harsher washing techniques, but not all at once or "cold turkey" as it were.

-ttebayo
December 17th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Sorry I'm not responding to every comment! I'm definitely taking everything in and appreciate every comment! :)

-ttebayo
December 17th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Have you tried washing twice a week but alternating between a regular wash and a gentler one? This worked for me to stretch washes. One wash I'd do my normal routine and the next time I would only do a CO wash. And then slowly remove CO washes and stretch out my washing. I was able to eventually stretch to washing once a week doing this from daily washing years ago by alternating washes like this. And now I think this method works because you're still "teaching" your scalp to be less greasy and cutting down on harsher washing techniques, but not all at once or "cold turkey" as it were.

No I haven't. How would you describe a gentler wash? No shampoo and only conditioner? I think I just need to accept that this is how my hair is though. :\

animetor7
December 17th, 2016, 01:48 PM
No I haven't. How would you describe a gentler wash? No shampoo and only conditioner? I think I just need to accept that this is how my hair is though. :\

Yup, use a really light conditioner, usually a cheap one like Suave or VO5 and massage a good amount all through your hair especially on your scalp. Massage well and then let the conditioner sit for at least five minutes to give it a chance for the gentler surfactants to bond well to the sebum in your hair. Then rinse out well massaging as you go. You can also add a bit of shampoo to your scalp only if you want after you've put the conditioner in. This will dilute the strength of the shampoo and be gentler on your hair.

Another option is to dilute your shampoo with water in a separate bottle to make a gentler shampoo to use for your gentle washes. Then wash as usual, but on the gentle day use the diluted shampoo rather than the full strength.

I hope that helps, does it make sense?

-ttebayo
December 17th, 2016, 01:52 PM
Yup, use a really light conditioner, usually a cheap one like Suave or VO5 and massage a good amount all through your hair especially on your scalp. Massage well and then let the conditioner sit for at least five minutes to give it a chance for the gentler surfactants to bond well to the sebum in your hair. Then rinse out well massaging as you go. You can also add a bit of shampoo to your scalp only if you want after you've put the conditioner in. This will dilute the strength of the shampoo and be gentler on your hair.

Another option is to dilute your shampoo with water in a separate bottle to make a gentler shampoo to use for your gentle washes. Then wash as usual, but on the gentle day use the diluted shampoo rather than the full strength.

I hope that helps, does it make sense?

It makes perfect sense! Thank you, I think I'll try that. :)

lapushka
December 17th, 2016, 02:11 PM
CO-washing or sulfate-free isn't for everyone, though, so if it doesn't work after a few weeks, I would not continue with this. It only made my scalp feel yucky and more oily (and flared up my SD (seborrheic dermatitis)).

turtlelover
December 17th, 2016, 02:56 PM
CO-washing or sulfate-free isn't for everyone, though, so if it doesn't work after a few weeks, I would not continue with this. It only made my scalp feel yucky and more oily (and flared up my SD (seborrheic dermatitis)).

Ditto! It was a total disaster for my scalp and hair!

animetor7
December 17th, 2016, 03:00 PM

Sure, but if the OP wants to stretch washes, this is a way to do it that's a bit easier and gives more time to transition than the cold turkey method.

lapushka
December 17th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Sure, but if the OP wants to stretch washes, this is a way to do it that's a bit easier and gives more time to transition than the cold turkey method.

I tried stretching that way too... didn't work. For some it's ideal, for others... not so much. Another YMMV stamp on that. ;)

turtlelover
December 17th, 2016, 04:11 PM
I tried stretching that way too... didn't work. For some it's ideal, for others... not so much. Another YMMV stamp on that. ;)

I *wanted* to love CO only so badly, but you are absolutely right -- it isn't for everyone! I should have taken photos just in case people don't believe me! LOL!

-ttebayo
December 17th, 2016, 05:18 PM

Ahhh, I'm pretty sure I have SD. And sure enough I just purchased sulfate-free shampoo & sulfate-free clarifying shampoo. Not so much for my hair, but because my face is always red and blotchy after I use sulfate products. Guess I'll see how my hair reacts! It seems fine so far.

I'll try the co-washing and see if it works for me. Thanks, everyone. :)

animetor7
December 18th, 2016, 01:58 AM
Ahhh, I'm pretty sure I have SD. And sure enough I just purchased sulfate-free shampoo & sulfate-free clarifying shampoo. Not so much for my hair, but because my face is always red and blotchy after I use sulfate products. Guess I'll see how my hair reacts! It seems fine so far.

I'll try the co-washing and see if it works for me. Thanks, everyone. :)

I wouldn't go back to sulfates if they make you red and splotchy. That indicates some sort of sensitivity or allergy to sulfates. That's why I avoid sulfates, not for my hair but because they give me a bad rash. In my case I think from eczema and general skin sensitivity, but you certainly could be allergic to them.

SD symptoms are more scalp itchiness, flakiness, and strange yellow or oily buildup, not a rash like you're experiencing in response to sulfates.

ETA shampoo bars are fabulous if you want nice clean hair and struggle with greasiness or oiliness but are also sensitive to sulfates.

lapushka
December 18th, 2016, 03:43 AM
You can't but try! I did too (with bad results), but everyone has to "experiment" for themselves. There are other people with SD on here that *can* go sulfate-free; it all depends on the individual head of hair. That's why it's YMMV.

Good luck, OP! Hope you find something that works. :)

-ttebayo
December 18th, 2016, 07:42 AM
SD symptoms are more scalp itchiness, flakiness, and strange yellow or oily buildup, not a rash like you're experiencing in response to sulfates.

ETA shampoo bars are fabulous if you want nice clean hair and struggle with greasiness or oiliness but are also sensitive to sulfates.

Yeah you've just described my scalp. >.< It's really awful & embarassing. I also worry all the time that it's stunting my hair growth, but I don't know that that's possible. Also I'm definitely going to look into shampoo bars. Never thought to before!

You can't but try! I did too (with bad results), but everyone has to "experiment" for themselves. There are other people with SD on here that *can* go sulfate-free; it all depends on the individual head of hair. That's why it's YMMV.

Good luck, OP! Hope you find something that works. :)

Thanks so much! You've all been a tremendous help; much better than Google! :p

lapushka
December 18th, 2016, 09:43 AM
Thanks so much! You've all been a tremendous help; much better than Google! :p

We try. The experimenting is up to you. Keep us posted though, so we can cater to your issues better. :)

emptyque
December 27th, 2016, 01:58 PM
I was experimenting with stretching washes and found that every other day works best for me, though sometimes I skip and extra day. My hair is definitely less oily than it was years ago, but I'm not sure if that is from stretching washes or just getting older.

Sulis
December 29th, 2016, 09:52 PM
I've tried stretching washes too but it never worked for me, so I still wash my hair everyday. Since everyone's hair is different I've found it's easier to find a routine that works for your own hair