PDA

View Full Version : Can I sleep with a braid to avoid messy hair in the morning?

pamela_07
December 17th, 2016, 07:26 AM
whenever I wash my hai,r I do a braid cause I hate hair in my face, but when I go to sleep I usually undo it, I was wondering if I can sleep with it it
to avoid having crazy hair in the morning? and also if it has anyadded benefits or anything special doing this method??:confused:

vampyyri
December 17th, 2016, 07:28 AM
I do this, it makes my morning hair manageable and tangle-free. Benefits are that your hair isn't tangling all over the place and stays neatly contained.

Nique1202
December 17th, 2016, 07:40 AM
If you find it comfortable, you can braid or bun your hair to sleep. Some people find that it prevents tangles to secure the hair overnight, especially if they toss and turn a lot. But, it's all up to your personal preference, don't feel obligated to keep doing it if it doesn't work out for you as well as leaving it loose. :blossom:

Anje
December 17th, 2016, 07:42 AM
I used to sleep in a braid, till the cat decided it was a fantastic toy to try to destroy. I think that's what precipitated me switching to a satin sleep bonnet, which is even better than a braid (which is better than loose) for keeping hair from getting messy or tangled overnight. Try the braid, but consider an inexpensive bonnet too, and work through the phase when you yank it off and throw it across the room in your sleep. It's really nice to wake up, pull the bonnet off, and have hair that's not messy and ready to go.

MeAndTheMaz
December 17th, 2016, 07:46 AM
Another benny would be braid waves. Y'know, if you're into that sort of thing.

lapushka
December 17th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Depends largely on how damp/wet it still is. I would let it dry at least 50% before you put it in a sleep braid, otherwise you might wake up with hair that is still for the most part wet.

pamela_07
December 17th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Yeah exactly, it should be damp at least!!!,But I find it so much more manageable!! less poofy and tangly!

Chromis
December 17th, 2016, 10:15 AM
I sleep with a braid every night. I am pretty sure I have perma-braidwaves now, but that is fine by me! As long as I am careful with my braiding and keep my sections from backbraiding or getting up to other mischief, I can take it out in the morning and barely have any tangles at all. I comb it in the morning to remove sheds and smooth it the rest of the way mostly, then I put it up and I'm off!

It does mean that I have to plan ahead in the evening otherwise I am *just* about to go to bed and ugh, still have to braid....fine....braid, braid, braid, yay, sleep!

Deborah
December 17th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Many of us sleep in a braid specifically to avoid nighttime tangling.

Agnes Hannah
December 20th, 2016, 10:29 AM
I plait mine for sleeping in always untied, and put it up into a silk sleep cap, it protects my hair the best and sometimes in the morning, I just wrap the plait up into a bun and wear it like that all day!

riahbobiah93
December 20th, 2016, 11:52 AM
I plait mine for sleeping in always untied, and put it up into a silk sleep cap, it protects my hair the best and sometimes in the morning, I just wrap the plait up into a bun and wear it like that all day!

That's a great idea!

I think I need to invest in a silk cap...

mdvl
December 20th, 2016, 01:36 PM
I sleep with semi wet braid so that next day I'll get wavy hair.

Cherrys
December 20th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Personally, a braid doesn't really keep my hair from becoming all ratty, so I usually do a single English braid, coil it into a bun, then top it all with a silk sleep cap.

Garnetgem
December 20th, 2016, 02:35 PM
You can do i used to do it but as it got longer it always left a kink in my hair on removal..but it wont harm i always had less tangles to undo after wearing it in a braid.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 20th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Personally I prefer a bun to sleep. Because braid waves, are meh on me, I do not like them. On me.
I use 2-3 spin pins to hold it up in a cinnabon top my head, and it usually stays all night. If you use a sleep bonnet, I think you would see even better results.
I cant stand the feeling of silk on my skin, nor satin, so I refrain but, yeah.

Upside Down
December 20th, 2016, 02:48 PM
I also grew into prefering a bun to a braid. Braid makes my nape hair very tangly but bun doesn't - for some reason.

I use a comfy quattro fork and sleep with a very high lwb or nautilus.

Braids were ok too before. But if I braid my hair damp it will all get matted in the morning so I try not to do it after a wash.

Definetly experiment to find what's best for you!

Pumpkin3826
December 21st, 2016, 04:26 PM
I shower at night and will let my hair air dry for maybe an hour, then I like to do French braid pigtails and go to sleep then when I wake up it will have some nice waves to it! Other wise I have stick straight hair so the French braids are a good way to tame your hair with out putting it in a bun on top of your head when you sleep. I always worry that putting it in a bun on top of your head when you sleep will cause the length of your hair to rub on the pillow and it could break.

Rope braids are also a great option, I sometimes do 4 of those (it might look silly) and they almost make spiral curls when you take them out!!!