PDA

View Full Version : Illusion of long thin hair?

Donyyful
December 16th, 2016, 08:30 PM
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has the same issue as me here. My hair is currently tailbone length and I have the typical East Asian hair; sleek, straight flat hair. Though I know that my length has some part in reducing the volume that people with shorter hair can usually achieve, but because my hair is super straight naturally, it gives off the illusion that my hair is thinner than it actually is.

I also feel like due to healthy hair practice i.e hair oiling, no sulphates, no heat etc., my hair has looked more straighter than it used to be before I had began my hair journey. My theory is when hair is well moisturized and taken well care of, the hair cuticles lay extra flat because they are well compacted and tight and more shine is seen. Chemical treatments and heat loosen those structures of the hair and raise the cuticle of the hair permanently e.g. hair dyes, perms, relaxers etc.

I feel like my natural thickness of my hair is never shown properly, because my hair strands are so straight and flat. I can tell this because when my hair is in a ponytail, the circumference of my hair doesn't reflect on my thickness of my length when it is naturally down, and when I curl my hair using rollers, or braid my hair to give myself nice waves, my hair significantly looks a lot thicker and fuller. Even when I'm out of the shower, my hair looks extremely thin when wet, but when I comb it out, there is a huge difference in thickness and appearance. Though my hair is the healthiest its been, I'm starting to not love my hair as I used to because of this. People always say my hair looks so thin and they don't believe me when I say its actually more average thickness or thicker if I dare say so.

Does anyone else have this issue and what do you do to solve this problem? Thanks. xx

Sarahlabyrinth
December 16th, 2016, 08:33 PM
I just want to say that I have always wanted hair like yours, so dark, sleek and shiny :) Not something I will ever have no matter how much I wish for it.

Donyyful
December 16th, 2016, 08:36 PM
I just want to say that I have always wanted hair like yours, so dark, sleek and shiny :) Not something I will ever have no matter how much I wish for it.

Your hair is so gorgeous. I always wanted hair with a slight wave to it or curly hair! We always want what we can't have :(

Sarahlabyrinth
December 16th, 2016, 08:37 PM
That is so true! :D

Llama
December 16th, 2016, 09:38 PM
I kinda feel the same about my hair. It compacts a lot and has a tendency to look flat. I sleep with my hair in a bun on top of my head and I get volume and nice waves that way. I notice when I sleep with my hair in plain english braids, I am always surprised in the morning with how extra flat it looks. So most nights it's in a topknot.
No one knows how thick your hair is unless they get a chance to really "get in there" and play with/style your hair. That sounds weird but yeah. You can't tell how thick someone's hair is just by looking at it.

turtlelover
December 16th, 2016, 10:16 PM
I think that a blunt straight across or U shaped hemline goes a LONG way to making super long, straight hair look thicker. If you have layers or fairytale ends, that can definitely make the hair appear to be thinner than it actually is, at least to my eyes. Sometimes a small hemline adjustment can make a big difference!

Alissalocks
December 16th, 2016, 10:49 PM
I actually have very thin, and fine, hair so I'm living it too. It seems most lively and lifted on day one after a wash, but can become piecey and thin easily. I don't have a solution, just feeling your pain. I love curls but my hair refuses to hold them for long, and braid waves can sometimes leave me feelin meh.

I thought putting in layers would help but... yea no. Growing those out, slowly.

Deborah
December 16th, 2016, 11:38 PM
The things you describe are not 'problems' really; they are just how straight, sleek shiny hair IS. I'm not Asian, but I have straight, soft, sleek, shiny hair too. We will probably be happiest when we can accept the beauty that our kind of hair has, and stop wishing for another type of beauty.

Just some thoughts from another person with straight hair. :flower:

Sarahlabyrinth
December 16th, 2016, 11:46 PM
Very wise, Deborah. All hair has its own beauty.

lapushka
December 17th, 2016, 04:25 AM
I kinda feel the same about my hair. It compacts a lot and has a tendency to look flat. I sleep with my hair in a bun on top of my head and I get volume and nice waves that way. I notice when I sleep with my hair in plain english braids, I am always surprised in the morning with how extra flat it looks. So most nights it's in a topknot.
No one knows how thick your hair is unless they get a chance to really "get in there" and play with/style your hair. That sounds weird but yeah. You can't tell how thick someone's hair is just by looking at it.

Yes mine compacted a lot as well, when I used to blow dry it straight. It still compacts a lot, when in buns, but when I wear it wavy that helps. Maybe braiding it at night will help. You can add small perm rods or rollers to the ends just so you don't get "spaghetti ends". It's easy to do, and you can sleep with it and wake up with volume in the morning!

MidnightMoon
December 17th, 2016, 07:02 AM
I agree with this. When my hair is straigher from bunning, and a bit oiled it definitely looks thinner than when just washes, all fluffy and wavy

Annalouise
December 17th, 2016, 07:19 AM
Hi, :) What is your hair type? Do you have fine, medium or coarse hair?
You said that you oil your hair... that can make hair look more thin and flat.
If you want volume then try using products that don't add weight to your strands. :)

Anje
December 17th, 2016, 07:37 AM
I've described my hair before as "compactable". It's not 1a straight, so it doesn't lie in a smooth sheet when it's loose (which seems to make many folks with 1a hair convinced it looks thin), but when I put it up or ponytail or measure it, it squishes down to a very small volume. Looser updos didn't work because the hair doesn't have that springy quality to make the bun filled out; rather, it would just relax and the thing would slide off my head. When I was young and forced to go to the salon, I got consistent remarks that it didn't look like I had a lot of hair, but there was a ton of it once they got their hands in it and started working with it -- this at a pony circumference of 2.25 in when I joined, thinner side of average.

I'm not sure if this is a quality of finer hair, or whether there is some other aspect that makes some hair happy to squish down to deceptively small volumes. In any case, a number of us have it.

M.McDonough
December 17th, 2016, 07:49 AM
Yes mine compacted a lot as well, when I used to blow dry it straight. It still compacts a lot, when in buns, but when I wear it wavy that helps. Maybe braiding it at night will help. You can add small perm rods or rollers to the ends just so you don't get "spaghetti ends". It's easy to do, and you can sleep with it and wake up with volume in the morning!

You profile says your hair is iii thick. Was it like that when it was shorter in the past, or did it get thicker cuz of the length?

embee
December 17th, 2016, 08:01 AM
I agree that the hemline can have a lot to do with thick *appearance*. So if you wear your hair down all the time, then avoid fairytale ends. Personally, as a flat/straight hair person, I find fairytale ends to be my friend, and wear my hair up every day.

Do consider the number of people who struggle with straightening their hair every day of the world, and be grateful. You're currently in style. :)

DoomPerDiem
December 17th, 2016, 08:12 AM
I have this problem, as my hair gets longer. It's fine. If the ends aren't even, it looks wispy or thin. I guess a blunt hemline is the best solution for naturally straight hair. Mine has wave to it, so a V line works for me.

browneyedsusan
December 17th, 2016, 08:43 AM
My texture is similiar.
We just do our best with what we have! :)

I'm mildly bothered that others feel okay in telling you your hair looks "thin". Unless they mean it as a compliment, and aren't communicating properly? That just strikes me as mean, and I'm thinking you need to keep these people at arm's length. Hurtful comments aren't necessary or helpful, and the snippiness might not be limited to hair. Don't let that :poop: get on you. Brush it off and go on about your business. It's awesome to be you. You have gorgeous TBL hair! It's shiny and sleek. :cheese:

Cg
December 17th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Yes, yes, and yes, to those who recommend a blunt hemline and night topknot. Also I wash and air-dry inverted (using multiple clips). Those methods are the only things that yield a suggestion of even minimal volume.

Straight, slick, fine hair is just not ever going to look voluminous on its own. Focus on the many great qualities your hair has. Lots of people envy your sleek.

Donyyful
December 17th, 2016, 10:41 AM

Yes 90% of the time I also wear my hair up in my topknot or in braids. My hair doesn't hold curls or waves very well unless I use a product to help it, but I rarely use it unless its a special event. Too much effort on my hand :p

Donyyful
December 17th, 2016, 10:42 AM
I think that a blunt straight across or U shaped hemline goes a LONG way to making super long, straight hair look thicker. If you have layers or fairytale ends, that can definitely make the hair appear to be thinner than it actually is, at least to my eyes. Sometimes a small hemline adjustment can make a big difference!

Yes 2 months ago I recently trimmed off 5-6 inches off my hair because it was tapering. My hair naturally tapers and after that cut my hair looked significantly thicker.

Donyyful
December 17th, 2016, 10:44 AM
I actually have very thin, and fine, hair so I'm living it too. It seems most lively and lifted on day one after a wash, but can become piecey and thin easily. I don't have a solution, just feeling your pain. I love curls but my hair refuses to hold them for long, and braid waves can sometimes leave me feelin meh.

I thought putting in layers would help but... yea no. Growing those out, slowly.

Yes I understand. I remember I used to complains so much about having thick hair when I was a child that I would always go to the hairdressers to get it thinned and layered using thinning shears. Then I would go home and still complain about it, and take a razor and thin it out even more. God thinking about it now makes me cringe!

Donyyful
December 17th, 2016, 10:45 AM
The things you describe are not 'problems' really; they are just how straight, sleek shiny hair IS. I'm not Asian, but I have straight, soft, sleek, shiny hair too. We will probably be happiest when we can accept the beauty that our kind of hair has, and stop wishing for another type of beauty.

Just some thoughts from another person with straight hair. :flower:

Yes you're right. I guess I just need to try out new things with my hair and fall in love with it again. It can get boring when you value health more than style sometimes. :)

Donyyful
December 17th, 2016, 10:47 AM
I agree with this. When my hair is straigher from bunning, and a bit oiled it definitely looks thinner than when just washes, all fluffy and wavy

I love your waves! ^_^

Donyyful
December 17th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Hi, :) What is your hair type? Do you have fine, medium or coarse hair?
You said that you oil your hair... that can make hair look more thin and flat.
If you want volume then try using products that don't add weight to your strands. :)

I definitely have coarse hair. I don't use oil post wash, just as a hot oil treatment and it washes out fine for me :) Yes I avoid using any products after washing, but I also realize that when hair is properly moisturized, my strands doesn't stick to each other or mat up much too

Donyyful
December 17th, 2016, 10:58 AM
I've described my hair before as "compactable". It's not 1a straight, so it doesn't lie in a smooth sheet when it's loose (which seems to make many folks with 1a hair convinced it looks thin), but when I put it up or ponytail or measure it, it squishes down to a very small volume. Looser updos didn't work because the hair doesn't have that springy quality to make the bun filled out; rather, it would just relax and the thing would slide off my head. When I was young and forced to go to the salon, I got consistent remarks that it didn't look like I had a lot of hair, but there was a ton of it once they got their hands in it and started working with it -- this at a pony circumference of 2.25 in when I joined, thinner side of average.

I'm not sure if this is a quality of finer hair, or whether there is some other aspect that makes some hair happy to squish down to deceptively small volumes. In any case, a number of us have it.

That makes a lot of sense. I feel like people with non 1a hair has that '' poofyness '' to their hair strands making it look fluffy, especially when its brushed and combed out. This is also a characteristic for most finer hair types from what I've observed. My hair strands are quite thick and coarse from what I've been told and comparing to my friends who have a lot of hair on their head but the hair strands are thinner than mine. But I don't have as much hair strands on top of my head compared to many people, unless I do but is hidden due to my 1a hair pattern.

Donyyful
December 17th, 2016, 11:00 AM
I agree that the hemline can have a lot to do with thick *appearance*. So if you wear your hair down all the time, then avoid fairytale ends. Personally, as a flat/straight hair person, I find fairytale ends to be my friend, and wear my hair up every day.

Do consider the number of people who struggle with straightening their hair every day of the world, and be grateful. You're currently in style. :)

Yes thats true. I think fairy tale ends looks magical on classic hair *_*

Donyyful
December 17th, 2016, 11:01 AM
I have this problem, as my hair gets longer. It's fine. If the ends aren't even, it looks wispy or thin. I guess a blunt hemline is the best solution for naturally straight hair. Mine has wave to it, so a V line works for me.

Yes my hair also naturally grows into a V shape, especially past waist length

Donyyful
December 17th, 2016, 11:04 AM
My texture is similiar.
We just do our best with what we have! :)

I'm mildly bothered that others feel okay in telling you your hair looks "thin". Unless they mean it as a compliment, and aren't communicating properly? That just strikes me as mean, and I'm thinking you need to keep these people at arm's length. Hurtful comments aren't necessary or helpful, and the snippiness might not be limited to hair. Don't let that :poop: get on you. Brush it off and go on about your business. It's awesome to be you. You have gorgeous TBL hair! It's shiny and sleek. :cheese:

I think theres this negative connotation attached to having thin hair in society today. Perhaps you're right in the way it is said. Maybe the term '' fine ' is better than thin who knows. Thank you! Your hair looks so vibrantly red! I just hennaed my hair yesterday too aha :p

Donyyful
December 17th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Yes, yes, and yes, to those who recommend a blunt hemline and night topknot. Also I wash and air-dry inverted (using multiple clips). Those methods are the only things that yield a suggestion of even minimal volume.

Straight, slick, fine hair is just not ever going to look voluminous on its own. Focus on the many great qualities your hair has. Lots of people envy your sleek.

Yes thats true. We all see the desired qualities in each others hair, but we can only seem to pick out the things we aren't happy with our own hair.

Acid
December 17th, 2016, 11:08 AM
i think the way you have your parting can also make a huge difference on the illusion of volume and thickness, i used to have mine middle parted as thats how it naturally falls but it looked flat ironed to my head all the time so i part it on the side it least wants to lie flat on and now i have about half an inch of volume around my roots all the time which really helps me as ive got zero volume naturally :) after a while you can train your hair to naturally fall along that parting so you wont have to worry about washing your hair and losing where it was but it wont go completely flat like your natural parting does!

i also second the top knot, i blow dry my lengths on cold upside down (otherwise they wont dry inside the bun) and leave my freshly washed hair in a high bun all night. as i only wash my hair once a week i get volume for 7 days and once the sebum starts to kick in around the fifth day it holds the volume even better as its not all silky and sliding everywhere

lapushka
December 17th, 2016, 03:16 PM
You profile says your hair is iii thick. Was it like that when it was shorter in the past, or did it get thicker cuz of the length?

It was always like that.

You don't get more follicles on your head with length. ;)

Flipgirl24
December 18th, 2016, 12:16 AM
I'm Asian and have the same type of hair. It's taken me a long time to appreciate my hair and its texture. I think if you want your hair to be long, you have to accept it will appear thinner. If it is shorter then it will appear fuller. A hairdresser once told me that if I wanted the appearance of thicker hair, I would have to damage it , meaning colouring or perming it.

Your hair is gorgeous! That is not an illusion! Doesn't have to be thick to be beautiful. You could try using volumizing products. There is a shampoo and conditioner called Thicker, fuller Hair. I've never tried it but that would be where I'd start if I wanted thicker looking hair. Otherwise, you have to put some kind of styling product and blow dry your hair.

M.McDonough
December 18th, 2016, 05:39 AM
It was always like that.

You don't get more follicles on your head with length. ;)

Hmm then why does the ponytail get bigger as the hair gets longer?

lapushka
December 18th, 2016, 07:20 AM
Hmm then why does the ponytail get bigger as the hair gets longer?

I don't quite get that... does it do that with you? I've never heard of someone's ponytail getting bigger as they grow more length. Unless they had deficiencies that were later resolved.

It is otherwise physically impossible to get thicker hair (gain more follicles) as you grow length. Unless you had deficiencies or trich that has been resolved or any other condition that wasn't "healthy".

turtlelover
December 18th, 2016, 10:33 AM
I don't quite get that... does it do that with you? I've never heard of someone's ponytail getting bigger as they grow more length. Unless they had deficiencies that were later resolved.

It is otherwise physically impossible to get thicker hair (gain more follicles) as you grow length. Unless you had deficiencies or trich that has been resolved or any other condition that wasn't "healthy".

Maybe she is talking about layers growing long enough to fit into the ponytail that couldn't before? That's the only thing I can think of.