PDA

View Full Version : hair oils

Sossity
March 21st, 2008, 06:36 PM
which hair oil should I use? I have wavy medium to thick hair, individual strands are medium to thick, when I bunch my hair in a ponytail, it about 4 inches around.

Sossity

ChloeDharma
March 21st, 2008, 07:09 PM
It's a bit of trial and error with oiling.....coconut seems the most popular so i'd start there.....i can particularly recommend Dabur Vatika Coconut oil.

Jojoba is another popular one.....then there's sweet almond, castor, avocado etc.

icydove
March 21st, 2008, 07:17 PM
Use of oils vary a lot even among similar hair types. Coconut oil or jojoba oil are good oils to start with, as they seem to work best for a lot of people.

ETA: Cross-posting, what ChloeDharma said :lol:

BrianaFineHair
March 21st, 2008, 09:11 PM
A sticky on hair types and kinds of oil may be good since I'm sure this question may be asked alot.

I have fine thin hair and it's on the oily side. I can get away with going one day without washing and even then, it looks like I REALLY need to wash it. For a person like me, is oil even necessary? My hair is not long yet, so are oils better suited for long hair because of the ends and "older hair", if that makes sense. For fine thin hair, what oils are used by the ladies here?

sapphire-o
March 22nd, 2008, 05:48 AM
Try what you have in the kitchen first. It's already there and no extra expenses. Olive oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil and rice bran oil are all popular for oiling. (At least I do have these oils in my kitchen right now.)

harley mama
March 22nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
I use coconut oil or a mixture of EO's with jojoba as the base oil. I also like Shea butter.

Carina
March 22nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
My first experience with oil was olive oil.When my hair is very dry I still use it.But my biggest favorite is coconut and I like macadamia oil to.

CrystalViolet
March 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
My favorite is jojoba.

IsabelS
March 22nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
A sticky on hair types and kinds of oil may be good since I'm sure this question may be asked alot.

I have fine thin hair and it's on the oily side. I can get away with going one day without washing and even then, it looks like I REALLY need to wash it. For a person like me, is oil even necessary? My hair is not long yet, so are oils better suited for long hair because of the ends and "older hair", if that makes sense. For fine thin hair, what oils are used by the ladies here?

I have the hair type you describe, I only used a mix of oils+EOs for a while and I really had to wash my hair the next day, but I do have to wash everyday as it is, so nothing new there. The oils made my hair feel a lot better for a while, thicker and stronger, my hair was also smoother and practically wouldn't break which is great for me. Sunflower, jojoba are some of my favorites.

girlcat36
March 22nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
My favorite so far is avocado oil. My hair hates all hings coconut! So I avoid coconut oil and it's derivatives in conditioners.......I wish I was like all the other kids and could use coconut oil.........:D
I have fine, thin hair BTW.

jojo
March 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM
I am a hair oil junkie heres my views on the ones ive tried;

Vatika- i love this oil, makes my hair really shinny

coconut oil- not much different than vatika but a firm favorite

Jasmin oil- the greatest smell, makes hair soft, if a little fly away but a good one

Jojoba- not one of my favorites, i prefer to use it on my face. My hair seems to like heavier oils

Borage seed oil- i dont like this one as a deep oiler but its good on freshly washed hair, really brings the curl out in hair and is a great facial moisteriser too- only need a teeny bit!

olive oil- this is a great oil for the ends of hair, especially when they get crunchy. a little too heavy for an all over oil though, which is crazy as castor oil is much heavier but my hair likes it better!

Castor oil- I like this but it is a very thick oil so i normally mix it with sweet almond, its not as difficult to wash out as people think either, hair looks very shinny after using this.

I have some Camellia oil on order so will let you know on that one!

I normally do on average one deep oil a week, maybe 2 if the weather has turned my hair to blah! and i always put a little on my ends, its so easy to be heavy handed my advice to anybody trying an oil for the first time is to use very little and build up the amount if needed.

Sillage
March 22nd, 2008, 06:35 PM
I'll put in my personal reviews too

Hemp ultra refined: light and feels nourishing. it goes rancid very quickly. ok as leave in, right now i only use it mixed with eos as a hair/scalp treatment. no smell.

Castor: super thick and draggy. the stickiness kept me from using it as a leave in, but it worked really well as a pre shampoo treatment.

Camellia: great oil, not too heavy. good for mixing with conditioners, feels nourishing. good leave in.

Shea butter: my hair eats this and loves it. makes my hair feel strong and gives it a bit of texture.

Shea butter unrefined: smoky smell, creamy consistency. i can't use this in my hair because of the smell.

Avocado: old faithful! feels nourishing and distributes easily. i always have a glass dropper bottle full of this on my dresser

Macadamia: nice but it hasn't wowed me

Coconut 76*: makes my hair super shiny and soft. smells wonderful, makes my hair feel smooth and strong. love this!

Jojoba: didn't do much for my hair except make it look lanky.

Illipe butter: very hard texture with a leathery smell. helps with fly aways a little

Olive: no! the smell is too strong and the texture feels gummy in my hair.

rumi
November 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I'll put in my personal reviews too

Hemp ultra refined: light and feels nourishing. it goes rancid very quickly. ok as leave in, right now i only use it mixed with eos as a hair/scalp treatment. no smell.

Castor: super thick and draggy. the stickiness kept me from using it as a leave in, but it worked really well as a pre shampoo treatment.

Camellia: great oil, not too heavy. good for mixing with conditioners, feels nourishing. good leave in.

Shea butter: my hair eats this and loves it. makes my hair feel strong and gives it a bit of texture.

Shea butter unrefined: smoky smell, creamy consistency. i can't use this in my hair because of the smell.

Avocado: old faithful! feels nourishing and distributes easily. i always have a glass dropper bottle full of this on my dresser

Macadamia: nice but it hasn't wowed me

Coconut 76*: makes my hair super shiny and soft. smells wonderful, makes my hair feel smooth and strong. love this!

Jojoba: didn't do much for my hair except make it look lanky.

Illipe butter: very hard texture with a leathery smell. helps with fly aways a little

Olive: no! the smell is too strong and the texture feels gummy in my hair.

Wonderful thanks so much for the list. I'm gonna find some coconut, shea and avacado oil immediatley :D