PDA

View Full Version : heart broken and crying for daughter

reilly0167
December 15th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Hello everyone and bright blessings.
My posting for today is about my 19 year old daughter and I am so deeply upset. To make a long story short, last year she came to me and showed me a little bald spot; at the time wasn't too concerned because she went thru a lot of stress and I figured it was that. A little bit after she comes to me crying and showed me what really looks like because she always wore her hair up and I looked liked nothing wrong. Sh let her hair down and OMG! She has bald patches in the canopy area, its horrible she look like she under going chemo. I broke down and took her to the doctor, they said its an infection/ fungal and gave her medication and shampoo. Dr. visits are so expensive since we have no insurance can't afford it since my divorce. The medication seemed to help a bit, now that being said I do whatever I can to make sure she gets medical attention for it. Is there any over the counter products that we can use between visits? I understand that nothing can replace proper medical attention. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ETA: She's to the point that she is so depressed about it ( and who wouldn't be) that she gets in a hopeless mode

lapushka
December 15th, 2016, 09:07 AM
No, this is too serious. Keep going to the doctor for it. What she got should last her a while, see how it goes. I wouldn't use *anything* else on it but what the doctor gave you!!!

Wildcat Diva
December 15th, 2016, 09:13 AM
It's worth it to mention to the staff or doctor that it's a financial struggle to maintain treatment. There are times when my doc would half the cost of an office visit when insurance didn't pay (because insurance usually does that for them anyway with what is "covered"), and they may be able to space out visits more a little and provide generic or samples to keep your cost down. There may even be a patience assistance option. Call the company who makes the medication and explain. Often there are discount cards. My son qualifies for one of his meds at a $5 copay instead of $35 due to a discount that you just have to ask for, not even claim hardship.

RavenRose
December 15th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Oh my, I feel for you.
I agree keep up with the doctor's recommendations and see what you can do about financial assistance. Make sure that she is getting mental help also if she is severely depressed!
Sometimes doing things to keep the mental beasties at bay and her mind off her hair will help- try to encourage her to do some things she loves.

hanne jensen
December 15th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Talk to your doctor about treatment with over the counter fungal cream. Monostat does encourage hair growth, there's a huge thread about it here.

pili
December 15th, 2016, 09:40 AM
I am so sorry she is going through this!

I would also have you look at diet. Eating any kind of sugar is bad for a fungal infection. Not all doctors talk or know about that, but a low sugar diet may help in keeping it from getting worse. I have some friends with various fungal infections and they had to adjust their diet to keep flare ups from happening.

Nightshade
December 15th, 2016, 10:24 AM
I do agree to bring up the financial concerns with the doctor. He may have freebies he can give, or recommend a good OTC treatment.

Also make sure that your daughter isn't using an alkaline shampoo, like Dr Bronner's. People hop on it because its "all natural" but it is not pH balanced for the scalp, and that imbalance can make the scalp susceptible to fungal infections. Using a product with a higher than 7 pH that strips away your acidic sebum which fight against bacteria. That sebum can help prevent hair loss from dandruff, bacteria, or fungus.

Your scalp, like your skin, ranges in pH between a 4 and 7, but liquid castile soap (like Dr. Bronner’s) has a pH around 8.9, which is much more alkaline.

Using highly alkaline solutions on your hair (baking soda, Bronner’s soaps, etc.) though it feels soft and manageable that is really the disulfide bonds in your internal hair structure being weakened by the alkaline solution.The colors and perms that are performed use this method to work, they “open up” your hair to deposit the color or permanent, then a clarifying shampoo is used to “close” your hair and lock the color or permanent in. To then bring your hair down to it’s proper pH a acidic solution (apple cider vinegar) when using an alkaline cleanser is used, this is called clarifying. This dual process is not healthy for your hair or your scalp. (…) This is why so many shampoos on the market advertise that they are pH balanced shampoos. Because that is very important. So forcing your hair to go up to an 8 or 9 and then forcing it back down to a 4.5 in a short period of time is very damaging

Linky linky (http://www.thankyourbody.com/ph-balanced-shampoo-recipe/)

reilly0167
December 15th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Thank you ladies, will definitely ask her doctor about payment options and see also about prescription discounts, i agree treatment is a must. She gave consent to the doctor to talk to me or I him if any concerns because she's 19. Again thank you all for taking the time to give advice.

Anje
December 15th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Agreed -- discuss it with your doctor. What you're describing sounds like ringworm, which I think has some over-the-counter treatment options. (It also sort of sounds like alopecia areata, which I don't know if it does, but frequently has a stress component. Not that reducing stress in one's life is ever a bad idea, though it's frequently difficult.) But I'm not a doctor....

Aidin
December 15th, 2016, 12:38 PM
I am sorry to hear this...She may try rub some tea tree oil with any carrier oil in her scalp, as it is known for its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.

lapushka
December 15th, 2016, 12:39 PM
I'm curious. What products (names) did she get? It's OK if you don't want to share! :flower:

mermaid lullaby
December 15th, 2016, 12:39 PM
You mentioned that she keeps her hair up. Maybe...she should wear it in a braid for now. Just to keep the tension low.

reilly0167
December 15th, 2016, 03:35 PM
I'm curious. What products (names) did she get? It's OK if you don't want to share! :flower:

Well they started her on antibiotics and prescribed a small bottle of shampoo, darn name escapes me something "zole". When she uses it, she has to leave it on for 3 to 5 minutes then rinse . they did blood test they came out fine, so the doctor said it looks like a fungal issue.

reilly0167
December 15th, 2016, 03:38 PM
She's a clever little shorty, for her to keep it up and not look like at all anything wrong. She wears a high pony and bobby pin hair over the bald sections.

lapushka
December 15th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Well they started her on antibiotics and prescribed a small bottle of shampoo, darn name escapes me something "zole". When she uses it, she has to leave it on for 3 to 5 minutes then rinse . they did blood test they came out fine, so the doctor said it looks like a fungal issue.

Good thing she got to the doctor when she did and good for you for taking her!!! Keep it up, though. Is it ketaconazole? Nizoral is the brand name if it's that product.

reilly0167
December 15th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Good thing she got to the doctor when she did and good for you for taking her!!! Keep it up, though. Is it ketaconazole? Nizoral is the brand name if it's that product.
Yes that's it!!!! Ketaconazole!!!!

Wildcat Diva
December 15th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Agreed -- discuss it with your doctor. What you're describing sounds like ringworm, which I think has some over-the-counter treatment options. (It also sort of sounds like alopecia areata, which I don't know if it does, but frequently has a stress component. Not that reducing stress in one's life is ever a bad idea, though it's frequently difficult.) But I'm not a doctor....

Dammit Anje, I looked back for your post and missed it twice cause your avatar changed a bit.

Ringworm is very difficult to treat on the face and scalp. My three boys had it on scalp years ago after we got a puppy. I went to a highly recommended dermatologist in Houston. There is an internal treatment that has a risk to trash your liver. He said that he didn't recommend this because of the rare risk that if it (liver trashing) happens to you, then you are sorry. He said that there was a cream that he didn't know would work, but since I was a homeschooling mama with access to the kids all day that I could try this prescription cream four times a day. I tried it and it worked. But I got the impression that ringworm on the scalp is a pretty concerning thing and that normal OTC treatments are NOT recommended.

Stormynights
December 15th, 2016, 09:21 PM
A home remedy for ring worm is black walnut hull either rubbed straight on or in a tincture. It always worked. I don't know where you could find that now. I doubt that this is ring worm, it is pretty easy to spot.

MsPharaohMoan
December 15th, 2016, 09:53 PM
My brother had the same problems, random patches coming out. His was from stress... But apparently with doctor's help (including steroid shots) it's growing back! There is hope!

Borgessa
December 15th, 2016, 10:19 PM
Our hair is so important to our identity I hope this is resolved for you, and she can grow healthy hair again soon. What on earth causes this kinda thing :(

mindwiped
December 15th, 2016, 11:49 PM
Another thing to check, especially if your prescription coverage is icky like the medical, goodrx (I think .com). It will check the cash pay prices for all around you. One of my meds were cheaper 3 months at a time at one pharmacy than they were going to be each month at another. Also, even if you're not a club member (Sams/Costco), you're still able to use their pharmacy.

Wishing your daughter happy healing!

lapushka
December 16th, 2016, 01:50 AM
Another thing to check, especially if your prescription coverage is icky like the medical, goodrx (I think .com). It will check the cash pay prices for all around you. One of my meds were cheaper 3 months at a time at one pharmacy than they were going to be each month at another. Also, even if you're not a club member (Sams/Costco), you're still able to use their pharmacy.

Wishing your daughter happy healing!

I follow a YTer who had issues with health insurance as well (she does all kinds of vids), and the app "goodRX" came up there as well. She saved so much money just by using that app!

DarleneH
December 16th, 2016, 01:25 PM
I know they said fungal, but by any chance has she went on or changed birth control recently? The Depo-Provera shot was making me go bald, but there may be other hormone-altering birth control options that do that to other people.

reilly0167
December 16th, 2016, 02:28 PM
I have to look into that. A factor I did not think of, thank you for bringing that up.

reilly0167
December 16th, 2016, 02:35 PM
I'm also gonna read the hair loss support thread as well.

Fru fru
December 16th, 2016, 05:47 PM
Your daughter most likely needs a low sugar diet, my daughter had this when she was about 13. I also switched her shampoo to one from the health store with herbal ingredients and no chemicals. Hugs to you :grouphug:

cgirl
December 16th, 2016, 07:08 PM
Hi reilly0167, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. The good thing is that the doctors have determined the cause and she is able to receive treatment. Hopefully they can offer some sort of discount. I am sending positive thoughts and energy. :blossom: Do they have any idea what caused the fungal infection?

Kat-Rinnè Naido
December 17th, 2016, 07:09 AM
Hi sending lots of good vibes. Your daughter is very strong and it is awesome that she has a good support system. All the best.

reilly0167
December 20th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Update: we have made another Dr. Appointment in january , would've been sooner but with the holidays going on, also I spoke to the nurse on the phone, I explained my current situation and she said will discuss options when we go in.
I want to thank everyone for your advice, suggestions and the good vibes support. Bless all of you.

reilly0167
December 20th, 2016, 08:23 AM
Hi reilly0167, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. The good thing is that the doctors have determined the cause and she is able to receive treatment. Hopefully they can offer some sort of discount. I am sending positive thoughts and energy. :blossom: Do they have any idea what caused the fungal infection?
Not sure what caused it. Maybe stress, her diet is kinda crappy, it needs to improve, she is a picky eater and stubborn at times. I'm thinking getting her a multivitamin but will check with her doctor first.

lapushka
December 20th, 2016, 08:36 AM
Not sure what caused it. Maybe stress, her diet is kinda crappy, it needs to improve, she is a picky eater and stubborn at times. I'm thinking getting her a multivitamin but will check with her doctor first.

Well I don't think there's much you can do. She's 19 and technically an adult. So, let's hope she'll take a multivitamin, if she's that picky. ;) It's awesome she came to you, though. I just hope she continues to use what the doctor gave her, because you probably have no control over that either. Let's hope it all goes well, and she'll heal from this.

I remember being 13/14 and having my hair fall out in clumps. Doctor said it was hormonal - I was not on BC being so young, but was going through puberty heavily at that time (so the question about her BC isn't that odd). I had bald patches too. It took 2 years to recover from this, with hair growing back in. My mom gave me some hair/nail vitamins and they helped (they were then called "Pill food" and were quite expensive - I took them for a long time).

pili
December 20th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Update: we have made another Dr. Appointment in january , would've been sooner but with the holidays going on, also I spoke to the nurse on the phone, I explained my current situation and she said will discuss options when we go in.
I want to thank everyone for your advice, suggestions and the good vibes support. Bless all of you.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that they will help her physically and financially get through this.

reilly0167
December 20th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Me too, will have to see.

reilly0167
March 27th, 2017, 12:20 PM
An update: first I want to thank everyone for the support on this issue:blossom: after more blood work and follow ups, she been diagnosed with condition ( not life threatening, thank god) she on medication now and will have more follow ups and blood work to check her hormone levels and such. Also the Dr. Is wonderful and have been prescribing medication that we can afford:D also there is light little hairs in the bald spots areas:D I am very happy she getting the help she needs, with medical help and prayers and faith. Bright blessings!

pili
March 27th, 2017, 12:24 PM
I'm so happy to hear that!

Reyesuela
March 27th, 2017, 04:49 PM
Scattered bald PATCHES aren't from hormones. They're either a skin infection or alopecia areata--the second of which is horrifying but usually self-limiting. But I'm glad she's improving!

reilly0167
March 28th, 2017, 04:07 PM
Scattered bald PATCHES aren't from hormones. They're either a skin infection or alopecia areata--the second of which is horrifying but usually self-limiting. But I'm glad she's improving!
Yes, in the beginning they did give her some antibiotics and a 2% shampoo but this new diagnosis I'm happy that is being taken care of:)