PDA

View Full Version : Combing Conditioner?

Strands
December 15th, 2016, 08:05 AM
Hey all, I did not see a thread on this yet so I thought it would be a good one! If there is already a thread devoted to this, please send me there because I cannot find it!

I ran across a post today that talked about combing your hair while it has conditioner in it. I personally used to do this before finding LHC, but then stopped because everyone here was saying it is so bad to detangle your hair while wet.

Please share your routine and experiences, I would consider doing this again if there was enough of support from you guys saying it is not damaging, however I have a feeling it is just a bad idea to do anything to the hair while wet like that...

lapushka
December 15th, 2016, 08:11 AM
This is basically a part of the curly girl (CG) method, and how you treat curly and or wavy hair. I can't do this, so I comb after my hair comes out of the towel and before styling.

reilly0167
December 15th, 2016, 08:26 AM
I do this. And yes it can be damaging if you roughly rake through your hair, but you can lessen that by using a wide tooth comb and gently detangle/ comb through.if your comb catches a knot don't force the comb thru it, instead use your fingers and gently pull part the knot. Been doing this for as long as I can remember.

spidermom
December 15th, 2016, 08:30 AM
I used to do this all the time, very carefully. If I combed my hair after washing and conditioning, I ruined the wave pattern.

Obsidian
December 15th, 2016, 08:38 AM
I always comb my hair when I condition, so does my daughter with baby fine 1c hair.
I only use a shower comb, it has huge wide spaced teeth.

Strands
December 15th, 2016, 09:11 AM
This is basically a part of the curly girl (CG) method, and how you treat curly and or wavy hair. I can't do this, so I comb after my hair comes out of the towel and before styling.

Hmm. I have never done the CG method, but it might be worth a try...

I do this. And yes it can be damaging if you roughly rake through your hair, but you can lessen that by using a wide tooth comb and gently detangle/ comb through.if your comb catches a knot don't force the comb thru it, instead use your fingers and gently pull part the knot. Been doing this for as long as I can remember.

See and I used to be so rough on my hair. I guess now that I am so much more gentle, it probably would be okay... I mean it gives so much more slip for detangling it is tempting.

I used to do this all the time, very carefully. If I combed my hair after washing and conditioning, I ruined the wave pattern.

That is my current problem. I have 2b and I find my hair is always losing the nice loose curls it has because I am detangling once dry.

I always comb my hair when I condition, so does my daughter with baby fine 1c hair.
I only use a shower comb, it has huge wide spaced teeth.

Omg I should try this on my daughter - I am an idiot! She has fine 2a hair, and it tangles so much. I had thought about this for myself, but not her! I will try it out on her for sure, and just be very gentle and see how it turns out. She does not care about her hair as much as I do, so if it does not make a huge difference, then I might get an idea how it would work for me. Perfect! :)

I am literally going to give her a bath this morning so I will try this out then :)

KittyBird
December 15th, 2016, 09:16 AM
I have a wide-tooth shower comb, and I put conditioner on my hair and comb through under running water. I did that at hip+ length and still do it at chin length. I think it's fine as long as you're careful and don't rip through the tangles.

Madora
December 15th, 2016, 10:06 AM
Combing your hair when it full of conditioner is not bad for it, provided you use a wide tooth comb and take pains to detangle SLOWLY, working from the tips to the scalp. Be sure to detangle in SMALL strips. This gives you much more control over your hair rather than trying to detangle large sections.

And for what it is worth, if combing/detangling hair when wet was damaging, I'd never have reach a little past knee. It's all in the way you do it!

Erinliz
December 15th, 2016, 10:37 AM
I finger comb while conditioner is in. Otherwise, no combs or brushes for me. Works for my 3b hair!

Strands
December 15th, 2016, 12:50 PM
I have a wide-tooth shower comb, and I put conditioner on my hair and comb through under running water. I did that at hip+ length and still do it at chin length. I think it's fine as long as you're careful and don't rip through the tangles.

I just washed my daughters hair using this method and let it air dry. Her hair dries SO FAST OMG. BUT- it turned out fantastic. No knots and kept the curl. I am so doing this on myself to see if it works on my hair too.

Combing your hair when it full of conditioner is not bad for it, provided you use a wide tooth comb and take pains to detangle SLOWLY, working from the tips to the scalp. Be sure to detangle in SMALL strips. This gives you much more control over your hair rather than trying to detangle large sections.

And for what it is worth, if combing/detangling hair when wet was damaging, I'd never have reach a little past knee. It's all in the way you do it!

Yep, tips to scalp. I did my daughter's hair in about 2" sections, and her hair is kind of fine, so it worked really well. My hair I will do likely in 1" sections. I am glad you are past knee doing this - it makes me more confident to try it myself. :)

I finger comb while conditioner is in. Otherwise, no combs or brushes for me. Works for my 3b hair!

Cool! Great pic by the way, your curls are stunning. :bowtome:

littlestarface
December 15th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Combing while conditioner is in the hair is the best way to comb I do this every time I wash, combing after on just wet hair is a nono, it messes up the wave pattern.

RavenRose
December 15th, 2016, 02:54 PM
I finger comb conditioner through my hair every shower. When I wash my scalp I end up with tangles at the base of my head from sheds. Finger combing the conditioner get out the tangles, and disperses it thru my length better, and makes my waves show up better.

LongCurlyTress
December 15th, 2016, 03:29 PM
LOL! I have to laugh at anyone saying not to detangle wet hair in the shower with conditioner-- This is the only way I can detangle my 3b/f/iii hair without breaking alot of hairs. Also in very small sections...from tips up to scalp very slowly detangling. This is the curlygirl method as mentioned below and highly encouraged on naturallycurly.com a hair forum for curly-haired people. :p

bparnell75
December 15th, 2016, 04:12 PM
I see you have gotten a lot of responses. My hair is super straight and slippery but I will try it next shower. I have no wave and don't wear it down, but I will see how it works.

Strands
December 15th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Combing while conditioner is in the hair is the best way to comb I do this every time I wash, combing after on just wet hair is a nono, it messes up the wave pattern.

Wet bad, wet with conditioner good. noted.

I finger comb conditioner through my hair every shower. When I wash my scalp I end up with tangles at the base of my head from sheds. Finger combing the conditioner get out the tangles, and disperses it thru my length better, and makes my waves show up better.

I did not even think about how this would help me deal with shedding in the wash. I struggle a little bit with detangling after washing simply because it takes longer, but I can see how the slip would help get rid of that too. I will be doing this on Sunday.

LOL! I have to laugh at anyone saying not to detangle wet hair in the shower with conditioner-- This is the only way I can detangle my 3b/f/iii hair without breaking alot of hairs. Also in very small sections...from tips up to scalp very slowly detangling. This is the curlygirl method as mentioned below and highly encouraged on naturallycurly.com a hair forum for curly-haired people. :p

Wow that much fine curly hair must take a lot of care. My hair is not that curly, but I am hoping that the curly girl method pays off in helping me deal with what I think is just a tangly mess when washing. I look forward to take my tangle teaser from bparnell75 with me to the shower on Sunday!

I see you have gotten a lot of responses. My hair is super straight and slippery but I will try it next shower. I have no wave and don't wear it down, but I will see how it works.

Hi! I will be using the tangleteaser you gave me in the shower on Sunday and am hoping for great results!! :) You will have to let us know how it works for your finer no wave hair as well. This might be all around good advice, who knows! :eye:

lapushka
December 16th, 2016, 03:19 AM
I have to say, I have no problems with my wave pattern. And I comb after my hair comes out of the towel (still pretty wet/damp but no dry bits in sight). Just the drippyness is gone. So I comb it out, then style it and the stylers make it all clump together again. It works for me. I have tried conditioner combing and it's just not my thing!

Adelain
December 16th, 2016, 06:11 AM
I only brush my hair before the shower and then with the conditioner on (I use a tangle teezer). It works for my wavy and thick hair ☺ If you let sit the conditioner for a minute before brushing the knots come out easier

Temme
December 16th, 2016, 06:37 AM
Hair is somewhat more fragile when wet, which is why some people avoid detangling wet hair without conditioner in it.

But conditioner gives so much slip that detangling wet hair that's full of conditioner is probably less damaging than detangling dry hair.

Like always, detangle carefully. I'm a believer that you can kind of intuitively feel how much mechanical damage something is causing.

LongCurlyTress
December 16th, 2016, 09:12 AM
"Wow that much fine curly hair must take a lot of care. My hair is not that curly, but I am hoping that the curly girl method pays off in helping me deal with what I think is just a tangly mess when washing. I look forward to take my tangle teaser from bparnell75 with me to the shower on Sunday!"

Just an fyi... I use a soft bristled vented brush to detangle with conditioner in the shower... similar to the wet brush...I broke alot of hairs and my hair shed horribly when I tried to use my TT in the shower for detangling. Be very, very gentle if you use a TT for detangling w conditioner in the shower-- also remember to use very small 1 inch sections... starting from the tips and slowly work your way up each small section, reappyling conditioner as needed. Trust me... better off safe than sorry which is what I am dealing with now... I had alot of breakage etc... due to using gel to hold down halo frizzies.. lost my patience and really yanked on the tangles breaking alot more. I was in a bad mood and had a very sad loss so I took it out on my poor hair. Just be careful and go slowly with detangling in the shower and use gobs of conditioner!! :) Good luck w the TT. Please report back to us after you use your TT on Sunday. If you live close to a Ross Stores (in the USA) they get wet brushes in all the time in their accessories dept. ;)

ETA if I let my hair dry curly, and not in a bun, the TT will tear/rip at the curls as it detangles them... so curlygirls should never ever brush out their curls when dry and curly. Just an fyi... :)

Erinliz
December 18th, 2016, 01:33 AM
Cool! Great pic by the way, your curls are stunning. :bowtome:[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

Kat-Rinnč Naido
December 18th, 2016, 07:39 AM
All my life I used to comb conditioner through with a WTC in the shower.
However due to joining the LHC my hair does not need to be combed while conditioning. I finger detangle under running water. I use the term "finger detangle" but I do not have tangles or knotts. I just separate my locks to check if there is any tangles. My hair stays curly I finger comb everyday where needed until I decide to comb by the 4th day to oil and prepare for next wash day.

Strands
December 19th, 2016, 01:53 PM
I only brush my hair before the shower and then with the conditioner on (I use a tangle teezer). It works for my wavy and thick hair ☺ If you let sit the conditioner for a minute before brushing the knots come out easier

I did it and it was great. I used a tangle teezer myself. Very impressed!

Hair is somewhat more fragile when wet, which is why some people avoid detangling wet hair without conditioner in it.

But conditioner gives so much slip that detangling wet hair that's full of conditioner is probably less damaging than detangling dry hair.

Like always, detangle carefully. I'm a believer that you can kind of intuitively feel how much mechanical damage something is causing.

I think you are right, because it was oddly EASIER to detangle with conditioner in it. My tangle teezer just about was falling THROUGH the tangles, they just fell away and required none of the work I am used to needing to detangle. My intuition is to keep doing this, which I will!!

Just an fyi... I use a soft bristled vented brush to detangle with conditioner in the shower... similar to the wet brush...I broke alot of hairs and my hair shed horribly when I tried to use my TT in the shower for detangling. Be very, very gentle if you use a TT for detangling w conditioner in the shower-- also remember to use very small 1 inch sections... starting from the tips and slowly work your way up each small section, reappyling conditioner as needed. Trust me... better off safe than sorry which is what I am dealing with now... I had alot of breakage etc... due to using gel to hold down halo frizzies.. lost my patience and really yanked on the tangles breaking alot more. I was in a bad mood and had a very sad loss so I took it out on my poor hair. Just be careful and go slowly with detangling in the shower and use gobs of conditioner!! :) Good luck w the TT. Please report back to us after you use your TT on Sunday. If you live close to a Ross Stores (in the USA) they get wet brushes in all the time in their accessories dept. ;)

ETA if I let my hair dry curly, and not in a bun, the TT will tear/rip at the curls as it detangles them... so curlygirls should never ever brush out their curls when dry and curly. Just an fyi... :)

I actually have had a TERRIBLE time with the wet brush in the past, it is those little knobs on the ends that always rip my hair. The TT does not do that to me, and I had a GREAT experience! I plan to do this method now on. :)

All my life I used to comb conditioner through with a WTC in the shower.
However due to joining the LHC my hair does not need to be combed while conditioning. I finger detangle under running water. I use the term "finger detangle" but I do not have tangles or knotts. I just separate my locks to check if there is any tangles. My hair stays curly I finger comb everyday where needed until I decide to comb by the 4th day to oil and prepare for next wash day.

Wow that is pretty impressive... Why doesn't your hair tangle very much? Do you think it is because you wear it up? I have noticed far less tangling since I have been wearing my hair up all month.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
December 21st, 2016, 02:23 AM
I cannot say definitely. However my hair does have more slip in it now and is much softer at the tips. I do wear my hair down on wash days and when visiting family and friends thereafter I put it back up. Occasionally I wear it down at home. I like the relaxing feel I get when my hair brushes my back. I use coconut oil once a week 2 days before wash day. I apply it at night from tips to below ears and it soaks in by morning . Where as before I used to apply a little oil every day. Before every wash I always do a DT. But now I am noticing my hair can go through a few washes without a DT.

Pumpkin3826
December 21st, 2016, 04:19 PM
I actually just bought a big wide tooth comb for this exact reason! One of the worst things for me is wash days and then forgetting to comb it before you get in the shower so then you have to spend 10 minutes detangling after. I put conditioner in and let it sit in for about 5 minutes, and while it is sitting in I run the wide tooth comb through it, I start with the end and work my way up (good time to let the water massage your back). So far I have not had to much breakage, you should try it out once and see how your hair does, you might be pleasantly surprised!