PDA

View Full Version : Garbage Can worthy? What hair things have you thrown out?

Annalouise
December 15th, 2016, 07:32 AM
What hair items have you thrown in the garbage can lately?:rip:

Myself, I threw away my boar's bristle brush. I am finally convinced that its not good for my hair, and my particular brush had too dense of bristles anyways. If I did use one it would have to be softer and have wider spacing for my fine hair... not saying I will use one in the future, but it was wrong for my hair.

I also threw away two sulphate shampoos.

:puppy:

lapushka
December 15th, 2016, 07:53 AM
I don't think I've thrown anything out, not even my hot tools (because you never know). Yes, I hoard my stuff, but... you never know. No, I haven't thrown out anything except my beaten up old Tangle Teezer that had had its day. It was 10 years old. I needed to start to use my new one, as the bristles were *destroyed*. :lol:

triumphator!
December 15th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Dry shampoo. Never works for me!

Rosetta
December 15th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Please, please don't throw fully usable things (like brushes and bottles of shampoo) in rubbish bin :eek:, recycle them!! (i.e. give them to charity or someone else who may need them.) For the sake of this planet, obviously; it's drowning in garbage as it is... :(

spidermom
December 15th, 2016, 08:27 AM
I've only thrown broken things away. If I don't like a shampoo, I'll usually find a way to use it - heavily diluted or as a bubble bath. If I buy something, I make myself use it, even if I hate it. I tried a nonfat, sugar free mocha from Starbucks a few weeks back. Bleh - horrible! But I drank it.

reilly0167
December 15th, 2016, 08:34 AM
I'm a hair product hoarder (teehee) if I don't like an item, let's say shampoo, I'll use it as a body wash. I don't like wasting money, I guess its the principle of the thing.

Obsidian
December 15th, 2016, 08:35 AM
I don't normally throw things away. I try to find other who can use them but these are the thing I would toss.
BBB- It's now used for the dogs
Suave conditioner- hubby can use anything
Shea moisture curl balm- gave this to a LHC member
Nizoral- haven't tossd it yet but I will. Soon as I find where I hid it away lol.
Ogx anything, it all went in the trash

LadyCelestina
December 15th, 2016, 08:39 AM
What hair items have you thrown in the garbage can lately?:rip:

Myself, I threw away my boar's bristle brush. I am finally convinced that its not good for my hair, and my particular brush had too dense of bristles anyways. If I did use one it would have to be softer and have wider spacing for my fine hair... not saying I will use one in the future, but it was wrong for my hair.

I also threw away two sulphate shampoos.

:puppy:

Did you throw it like, really throw it away? Or are you just planing to? My sister took mine because I stopped using it for a bit but I miss it for smoothing updo's. Nothing gives the same result.

vampyyri
December 15th, 2016, 08:50 AM
I usually give my stuff away to either my SIL or my friends. The most recent things I have gotten rid of was the rest of my macadamia line of stuff ("healing oil" and a leave in product), pantene ice shine(because it reeks and trashes my hair), and my nature's gate sulfate free aloe shampoo.

I'm currently using Suave Coconut as a shaving cream, and I have a V05 Strawberries and Cream shampoo that needs a new purpose... perhaps body wash :lol:

RavenRose
December 15th, 2016, 09:13 AM
I've had many OXG brand shampoos that went to my hubby, along with a volumizing burt's bees shampoo, a renpure green apple scented thing, and most recently A shea moisture shampoo because although it worked fine for my hair it had to much coconut oil in causing me massive break outs. I actually threw away a dry shampoo because the scent gave me an asthma attack. Other items weren't great but I used them anyways were loreal sulfate free lines, a nature's gate shampoo, and a couple others I can't remember off the top of my head.

turtlelover
December 15th, 2016, 09:32 AM
I threw out some sea salt spray that made my hair both gritty, crunchy, and greasy at the same time.. Failed shampoos get used on laundry, failed conditioner for leg shaving.

hanne jensen
December 15th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Failed shampoos either get used as toilet wash (soap is soap) or I dilute it a tiny bit and put it in my handwash dispenser. Failed brushes get used on the dog or cat. Failed conditioners get used as a pre conditioner in CWC. Hairtoys that I've outgrown get sterilized by washing in vinegar water and after drying get put in the freezer. I then give them away. My mini bear claw clamps that destroyed my hair are now used for the stalks on my orchids. U shaped hairpins that have lots their tips get used in the garden in the strawberry patch. They are really good for holding the new plants in place until they root.

samanthaa
December 15th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Adding my voice into the "please don't throw stuff away" chorus.

I very rarely anymore have hair products that I don't use/like as I've found some that work for me and I've been sticking to them. I hate hoarding products as it is so I don't really buy much stuff, and I definitely don't buy in bulk. My SO bought a bottle of Pantene shampoo (even though I spend a ton of money on organic shampoo bars that he really likes! I don't understand his reasoning!) and I got so mad at him! It's literally just sitting in our kitchen. It will be given away.

Back when I was still searching for my perfect conditioner, I did try a few from SheaMoisture that I ended up not liking--they went to my old roommate (which reminds me, I should ask her how she liked them!). I still have one SheaMoisture conditioner that's not my favorite, but it works, so I use it in SMTs since they're pretty conditioner-heavy. I have before used conditioner to shave my legs.

Things that have gone in the actual trash: the octopus clip that I accidentally melted. Oops :(

I have two horn combs, one of which my fine hair does not get along with. I plan to gift this to my mom for Christmas, along with her main presents. I'll probably re-gift my current horn comb sometime down the line as I'd like to replace it with a vegan-friendly wooden comb.

Hairtoys that I haven't liked (Flexi-8s) have been given away to LHC members.

hanne jensen, toilet wash is smart for failed shampoos! I'm loving reading about how you all repurpose your unwanted hair products!

Frankenstein
December 15th, 2016, 11:45 AM
I try not to throw things out and usually find a way to use them. The one thing I do remember trashing was Aussie 3MM Color - I hated it, my mom hated it, sister didn't want it.. it was terrible.

littlestarface
December 15th, 2016, 11:49 AM
I threw away that banana conditioner from the body shop, gosh that stuff was horrible, that deserved le trash heap!

mizukitty
December 15th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Well, I coupon for hair products and get them for free, so I have like 40 bottles of Garnier, Dove, Pantene downstairs that will definitely expire before I get a chance to use them. Definitely not going to throw them away, but I'm going to be donating them since I'm more particular with my hair stuff now. I need the extra space too, my boyfriend says anything else hair related I buy is getting locked up until I make space :( LOL.

ExpectoPatronum
December 15th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Like some people, I tend to hoard things too. Even though there are things I might pick up once a year or less - like heat tools, I'm still really thankful for those rare times I want them.

That said, I could stand to downsize my hoard. I've moved onto finger detangling and so don't need four different tools to detangle.

I live in a college town, so what I do is put my gently used products and tools (among other things I don't need) in a box outside and things are typically gone within a day or two.

Anje
December 15th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Lately, I tossed half a bottle of green hairdye that turned out to be blue and not very good at staining hair. (Great at staining the scalp, though! I think there's still some there, more than a week later. I suppose I could dig it out and use it for temporary tattoos, if I wanted blue tattoos....)

Most of the time, if a product doesn't work, I shuck it off to the hubby. Or keep it around but only use it occasionally -- not the best option as I end up with a ton of clutter that way.

hanne jensen
December 15th, 2016, 12:50 PM
Failed poos are also great at washing the tiles in the bathroom. I find they work better than cleansers. Failed poos are also great for washing wooden floors. Defective hairpins and combs are great in the garden.

Anje, if you post about some of the stuff that's cluttering up your bathroom, I can probably find a use for it. That way it won't be wasted and just might save you some money.

lapushka
December 15th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Well, I coupon for hair products and get them for free, so I have like 40 bottles of Garnier, Dove, Pantene downstairs that will definitely expire before I get a chance to use them. Definitely not going to throw them away, but I'm going to be donating them since I'm more particular with my hair stuff now. I need the extra space too, my boyfriend says anything else hair related I buy is getting locked up until I make space :( LOL.

I have a lot of bottles too. I just used up 2 bottles of Nivea shampoo that were 10+ years old - still perfectly fine! If the consistency & smell is still good, it's all OK! Don't just throw stuff out because of "dates" on bottles.

lapushka
December 15th, 2016, 01:01 PM
I am now using up my most oldest products. I have a conditioner from Europrofit (around 60cts for a 300ml bottle) and it *sucks*, I got knots in my hair after using it one time, and the other times my hair was so hard to detangle; but still I am using it up. Have to be a little more careful with detangling, and use more of the ROO method (which helps hugely), and so it'll get used up. Also, I have the "Les Karités" conditioner, which is also a big bottle (and I also have 2 of those). That one is slightly better, but not all that great either. Still, using them up!

I hate throwing stuff out, just because I don't like it or because of the effect on my hair - nothing I can't get through!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 15th, 2016, 01:21 PM
I don't throw stuff away, if I have hair toys I don't want I will find someone who does want them. As for shampoos and conditioners, if I don't like them on my hair I will use them as body wash or hand wash liquid soap. They work well for that. Throwing stuff away seems so - wasteful.

Platzhalter
December 15th, 2016, 04:41 PM
I don't throw stuff away, if I have hair toys I don't want I will find someone who does want them. As for shampoos and conditioners, if I don't like them on my hair I will use them as body wash or hand wash liquid soap. They work well for that. Throwing stuff away seems so - wasteful.

Same here... and, aside from that, we couldn't afford throwing things away unless they've become absolutely not useable (meaning: dangerous to use).

Nimia
December 15th, 2016, 06:15 PM
Bumble & Bumble's "Don't Blow It" styling cream, supposed to give air-dried hair great beachy waves. Er, no, at least not on my head. I gave it to a friend with shorter hair.

sumidha
December 15th, 2016, 06:44 PM
I think I put curling and straightening irons into a free box like ten years ago. Otherwise, basically nothing... I had some Aussie Conditioner that was horrible with my hair a while ago, but I finally used it up 'conditioning' wool sweaters and blankets.

In addition to all the alternative uses already mentioned in this thread, it's worth making a call or two to your local homeless or domestic violence shelter to see if they want conditioner and shampoo, if you have a mostly full bottle. :)

pili
December 15th, 2016, 07:09 PM
I've had to throw out hair toys my hair chews up and spits out: claw clips, cheap sticks, spin pins. I did have to throw away an old heat styling tool. I bought it almost twenty years ago in an effort to keep my then new pixie looking "professional for my first job. It was like a flat iron but kind of a comb? Anyway, each small ceramic plate had velvet and from disuse and sitting it in a box it deteriorated. My sister went to borrow it and it was unusable. Otherwise I give stuff away or use it for shaving or my kids' hair.

Marika
December 15th, 2016, 07:39 PM
I gave away Tigi Bedhead Urban Antidotes 2 shampoo and conditioner. Didn't find them moisturising or very good at detangling, just plastic-y and dry feeling hair. I don't like the scent either, so I'm glad they found a new home because they were big bottles (750 ml) and not that cheap.

MsPharaohMoan
December 15th, 2016, 09:48 PM
Hey, if anyone has a tangle teaser to throw away :waggles: :deal:

EdG
December 15th, 2016, 11:35 PM
I threw away some hair elastics that only ever got used to tie together electrical cords. ;)

Since I went water-only hair washing, I have been using shampoo as a body wash.

ETA: shampoos that are too bad for even a body wash get used as a bathroom cleaner. ;)
Ed

lapushka
December 16th, 2016, 02:27 AM

I would have given you mine, but it was 10 years old and the bristles where totaled - really. I would be ashamed to send that to someone. Might have still been good for a cat or dog, but... no, nope, not even that.

Zindell
December 16th, 2016, 03:44 AM
I threw away my schampoo and conditioner.

This after I discovered this "new" product, which is an organic powder of soapnuts and herbs. You mix it with water and use it to wash your hair and body. My hair absolutely loves it! It gets soft, shiny and bouncy and I only wash it once a week or less these days.

pili
December 16th, 2016, 08:32 AM
I threw away my schampoo and conditioner.

This after I discovered this "new" product, which is an organic powder of soapnuts and herbs. You mix it with water and use it to wash your hair and body. My hair absolutely loves it! It gets soft, shiny and bouncy and I only wash it once a week or less these days.
Oh! I wish I could find something like that here.

Alex Lou
December 16th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Copper hairbrush.. It made my hair smell so bad.

samanthaa
December 16th, 2016, 10:47 AM

Oh...I forgot that I also melted my tangle teaser! ....

(lice scare)

I would have happily given it to you. I hated that thing.

starlamelissa
December 16th, 2016, 10:48 AM
oh goodness its been a long long time since I have thrown away hair stuff. I don't hoard hair stuff, but I do throw out brushes or combs with broken teeth/bristles. shampoo if I don't like it, I use it as handsoap in my bathroom pump dispenser.

I think the last thing that really didn't work for me was a leave in cream, it was too light to do anything for me. I prefer heavy silicone serum leave ins.

Salwety
December 16th, 2016, 11:03 PM
Things that didn't work for me where given to my sister to experiment by herself. She started her hair and natural :taz:body care journey after me by 4 months.
What didn't work for both of us was donated, like:
Enliven hair moose
Some waxy stuff that I no longer remember it's name to work as the C in the LOC method, when I was first introduced to it.
Poorly made plastic hair comb that seemed to rib through my hair... I like plastic hair combs but the hard ones.
Metal hair toys I bought at the begining of my journey thinking that they will be gentle on my hair ... daaaahhh, every time I used them, I break a couble of hairs. No thank you you can go .
GK keratin hair mask my hair was overloaded and very dry even after using a very small amount of it. ( I think this is the only item I literally through in the trash... I was so mad at it)

turtlelover
December 16th, 2016, 11:05 PM
I had to give away some Aussie stuff (3 minute miracle) because it makes my head itch so much. Why, I have no idea. Years ago, I used it with absolutely no issues and LOVED it.

restless
December 17th, 2016, 03:12 AM
Natures gate herbal shampoo/conditioner. That smell...!
Some Schwarzkopf volumizing shampoo. It made my scalp hurt.
Pantene shampoo/conditioner. It was so laden with silicones it made my entire head of hair flat and piece-y.
My (beloved) tangle teezer. It shredded my hair.
Body shop wide tooth comb. It just felt really rough, so I didnt dare use it more than once or twice.
Aussie 3-minute miracle. I was seriously expecting a miracle here after all the positive reviews, but got nothing but disappointment. My ends were dry afterward and the smell of bubblegum didnt even last...

kaiakai
December 17th, 2016, 03:37 AM
I tried a nonfat, sugar free mocha from Starbucks a few weeks back. Bleh - horrible! But I drank it.

Ew! Why would you even try something like that :D ;D

emptyque
December 27th, 2016, 02:06 PM
I use failed shampoos to clean hairbrushes. I had a flat iron I never used successfully that ended up being donated to Goodwill.

I have hairspray that I want to throw out, but apparently aerosole cans with propellant left in them can explode in the garbage truck. :O

catabear
December 27th, 2016, 02:12 PM
I don't usually throw hair stuff out, but I have given lots of products away to family and friends that don't work very well for me. :P My loss, their gain!

languagenut
December 28th, 2016, 01:27 AM
Um, I think the last hair thing I threw away was...

that.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nbnrpBIJ3-A/VuwjlEjlO8I/AAAAAAAAAcA/Mq0VweuEFjMgL3WmUWpvepSW4dbko52wA/s1600/brush1.jpg

And I doubt even the most ardent members of the "Don't throw stuff away" chorus can judge me for it! :cheese:

moon_witch
December 28th, 2016, 01:55 AM
Things that contain parabens and other chemicals that can allegedly cause cancer. I know it's kinda controversial but people died from cancer on both sides of my family and I'm not taking any risks.

Viola88
December 28th, 2016, 03:50 AM
In a fit of decluttering, I also threw away a boar bristle brush but I think it also had nylon mixed into it. It was nice for creating smooth pull backs ala Robert Palmer's band in the Addicted to Love video. Oi, I am dating myself :)

I use failed shampoo to wash the cat litter box.

I have also thrown away hair elastics that had the gold metal piece that holds it all together.

I kept my fancy $$$ ionic hair dryer. It got used this summer to melt a frozen hvac unit :D

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 28th, 2016, 07:02 PM
I don't normally throw things away. I try to find other who can use them but these are the thing I would toss.
BBB- It's now used for the dogs
Suave conditioner- hubby can use anything
Shea moisture curl balm- gave this to a LHC member
Nizoral- haven't tossd it yet but I will. Soon as I find where I hid it away lol.
Ogx anything, it all went in the trash

I would take the Nizoral off you, if you find it. Always wanted to try it since I have SD, not sure if selsun is working!

I dont throw anything away, I use it all up until I can buy something new and then avoid experimenting again.

Salwety
December 30th, 2016, 03:28 AM
Um, I think the last hair thing I threw away was...

that.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nbnrpBIJ3-A/VuwjlEjlO8I/AAAAAAAAAcA/Mq0VweuEFjMgL3WmUWpvepSW4dbko52wA/s1600/brush1.jpg

And I doubt even the most ardent members of the "Don't throw stuff away" chorus can judge me for it! :cheese:

It deserved to be in the trash :D RIP

lapushka
December 30th, 2016, 04:16 AM
My mom said they had big paddle brushes in our Lidl, but I decided against it. I have my TT now and, well have gotten used to it. :shrug:

LadyCelestina
February 4th, 2017, 02:16 AM
Bumping this up :)

Anybody has any idea on how to use up old hair gel? This one is horrible I don't know what they were thinking, it's full of alcohol and it dries sticky. My brother left it here, presumably for the reasons mentioned. The obvious suggestion is brow gel, except I don't really use brow gels (maybe it's time to start?). Is there anything else? Obviously it's not something you'd give away.

I thought it might work for drawing in some way, like mixing it with watercolour - not sure for what reason but it sounds like a good idea :D On that note, blush? but I kind of don't want to put it on my face.

lapushka
February 4th, 2017, 04:33 AM
Anybody has any idea on how to use up old hair gel? This one is horrible I don't know what they were thinking, it's full of alcohol and it dries sticky. My brother left it here, presumably for the reasons mentioned. The obvious suggestion is brow gel, except I don't really use brow gels (maybe it's time to start?). Is there anything else? Obviously it's not something you'd give away.

I thought it might work for drawing in some way, like mixing it with watercolour - not sure for what reason but it sounds like a good idea :D On that note, blush? but I kind of don't want to put it on my face.

If it's full of drying alcohol, I wouldn't go near it, especially not if you have long hair. Do you have an ingredient list, perhaps?

LadyCelestina
February 4th, 2017, 04:36 AM
If it's full of drying alcohol, I wouldn't go near it, especially not if you have long hair. Do you have an ingredient list, perhaps?

Yes it's full of alcohol and sticky as hell, so totally unusable for hair. I will throw it out if there's no other way to use it up, just wanted to ask if you guys have any ideas how can I use it up (besides brow gel)

Simsy
February 4th, 2017, 04:55 AM
Last thing I threw out was a claw clip that my hair just loved...in a stalker-like "never gonna give you up" way. So glad when that thing vanished and my curls played nice with the hair toys again. Lesson learnt...for now...

Yes it's full of alcohol and sticky as hell, so totally unusable for hair. I will throw it out if there's no other way to use it up, just wanted to ask if you guys have any ideas how can I use it up (besides brow gel)

Fire starter? Soak a few cotton balls or bits of fluff and it might light straight up...purely for experimental reasons...'grabs marshmallows'

lapushka
February 4th, 2017, 05:35 AM

Well, I don't know of any uses for it. Slicking down edges? But that might be too rough on them. I'd use it as brow gel, that's not a bad idea!!!

Mrstran
February 4th, 2017, 09:08 AM
Jamaican black castor oil strength & restore clarifying shampoo, and Castile soap.
At first I loved JBCO, Then it completely zapped all the moisture out of my hair. The CS zapped it out immediatly. (Scary!)
That is just my experience with them though.

(Quarter size amount. Roots only rinsed down- out of hair)

littlestarface
February 4th, 2017, 11:17 AM
I tried the garnier fructis new triple nutrition oh my god it stunk I think it might have gone off or something cuz it smelled like sawdust, that is sooo going in the trash can. My poor hair, good thing I had the new HE coconut milk one mmmmm that stuff smells DAM good!

Groovy Granny
February 4th, 2017, 12:52 PM
I never throw things out, and will use S&C for body soap and shave cream if it doesn't work.

Usually fragrances don't bother me either.

USUALLY!

The only exception was Shea Moisture Yucca & Baobab S&C
The fragrance of that still makes me nauseous just thinking about it :puke:
I could not get that stink out of my hair or nose; it gross and lingered for days.

In the trash it went....But the smell lingers in my nostrils still :p

LadyCelestina
February 5th, 2017, 01:28 AM
Last thing I threw out was a claw clip that my hair just loved...in a stalker-like "never gonna give you up" way. So glad when that thing vanished and my curls played nice with the hair toys again. Lesson learnt...for now...

Fire starter? Soak a few cotton balls or bits of fluff and it might light straight up...purely for experimental reasons...'grabs marshmallows'
Oooh.... I'll try it out (:D though I'll wait to try it with dbf since I'm clumsy and afraid of exploding things :D)

lapushka, I belong in the hair wispies club :D

Thanks guys!

LittleQuill
February 5th, 2017, 02:05 AM
Hmm... I can't remember the last time I threw out something for my hair. I don't throw away abandoned shampoos and conditioners, because I can use them for other things (as others have suggested). In all honesty, it was either a cracked wooden comb I had, or a brush with missing pins....it could even have been stretched out hairties. :shrug:

Flipgirl24
February 5th, 2017, 02:11 AM
I tried Ogx Argan Oil conditioner and Biosilk conditioner. Hated the smell of both. Neither did what they said. I'm giving them away or if no one takes them, I'll use them to shave. If I try q shampoo I don't like I'll give it away or use it as part of a household cleaner. Or donate it.

lapushka
February 5th, 2017, 03:51 AM
lapushka, I belong in the hair wispies club :D

Oooh, here you go!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

Spinder
February 5th, 2017, 11:35 PM
I bought a box of some "neutral henna" that clearly wasn't exactly that, because I broke out in hives. Out to the curb it went! I also had a small horn comb that I got from Vietnam, which seemed good at first, but I had to toss it after it started splitting and peeling.

Eastbound&Down
February 7th, 2017, 04:15 PM
Ugh, GVP S/C. It was awful, my hair was dry and tangled if I even thought about touching it. Threw it in the trash and went back to my HE Hello Hydration.

JillRenee
February 7th, 2017, 09:39 PM
I threw out a horrible round metal styling brush that I once used to style my bangs (when I had bangs.). Somehow it became firmly stuck to the my bangs, and I couldn't get it out. Somehow my (late) husband Frank patiently worked on it and was able to get it out. Away it went into the garbage.

-Fern
February 7th, 2017, 09:48 PM
I also had to throw out OGX. Such cute packaging! Such nice copy on the bottles! Hated the results and the perfume.

EdG
February 7th, 2017, 10:03 PM
A bottle of thick, goopy shampoo with too much perfume turned out to be competent as a dish washing liquid. ;)
Ed

lithostoic
February 8th, 2017, 07:21 AM
Sample size of dry shampoo (it didn't do anything for me) and some broken hair toys.

HairPlease
February 8th, 2017, 11:28 AM
I've trashed some shampoos and conditioners which went unused (I had been away) and they developed an unsavory smell. If I don't like something, I give it away or donate to some kind of charity.. I don't like wasting usable items.

Unless (!) the product is so horribly bad that I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. In that case... kill it with fire (a shampoo that literally smelled like a skunk--long story).

lithostoic
February 8th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Oh and I also threw away 2 travel size ogx bottles. One shampoo and the matching conditioner. They made my hair fall out!

Kae612
February 8th, 2017, 06:01 PM
Gosh I've read through this thread & I wish I'd known about the other uses for unwanted shampoo and conditioner!

I was on a trip and picked up Herbal Escences' Hello Hydration line for the two months I was away. The first few times, my hair felt awesome! It smells so great too. But that didn't last.... I continued to use it when I got home and wow gosh my hair was like straw for ages. I was swimming at the time, and it just wasn't getting the chlorine out and my hair was the crunchiest thing I've ever seen. It was so bad. I walked into a Sally's Beauty looking for a leave-in conditioner, because that's what I'd thought I maybe needed, and the salesperson calmly & gently explained that what I needed was a new shampoo and conditioner that could handle the chlorine.

No one else in my house would take the shampoo or conditioner, so after it sat under the sink for a good long time I chucked it.

But different hair likes different products, I've read on this forum before that some people LOVE that line! And the sulfate-free shampoo I tried from Live Clean that irritated my scalp so badly that it produced a snowstorm of flakes instantly after my hair dried, my mom loves, and has had no bad reaction from! I just wish I'd managed to use it in some other way than throwing it out, I feel badly now, I didn't even recycle it :(

Tosca
February 8th, 2017, 06:09 PM
The Woolworths homebrand silicone free condish I bought for CO washing. My hair ended up not liking it, but I repurposed it to shave with instead of throwing it out.

MoonRabbit
February 8th, 2017, 06:32 PM
Oh and I also threw away 2 travel size ogx bottles. One shampoo and the matching conditioner. They made my hair fall out!

Same thing happened to me. I got a terrible scalp rash after using it for a month and a scary amount of daily shed. My brush would fill up in one use, and on wash day I would be pulling out dozens of hairs in the shower. I didn't link it to the brand until I read an article claiming ogx has a formaldehyde preservative in it. I tossed it out so fast and started to baby my hair as much as I could. No more brushes, respectable shampoo and conditioner brands. My scalp is healthy again and my shed count is back to normal. I think it should be mandatory for a company and or product that claims to be organic or semi natural to label their goods with all ingredients used.

Laccaria
February 8th, 2017, 06:57 PM
Hm, someone must like the OGX brand, or they wouldn't be in business, right?

I tried their Biotin and Collagen conditioner, fortunately in the travel size, because I HATED it. I have bleach damaged ends that love protein, but I swear this stuff made my hair feel worse than no conditioner at all.

I used it up by adding a tiny squirt at a time to a conditioner I actually liked because I am cRaZy and hate tossing things. I probably should have just trashed it. It was not at all a nice product for me.

lithostoic
February 8th, 2017, 06:59 PM
Same thing happened to me. I got a terrible scalp rash after using it for a month and a scary amount of daily shed. My brush would fill up in one use, and on wash day I would be pulling out dozens of hairs in the shower. I didn't link it to the brand until I read an article claiming ogx has a formaldehyde preservative in it. I tossed it out so fast and started to baby my hair as much as I could. No more brushes, respectable shampoo and conditioner brands. My scalp is healthy again and my shed count is back to normal. I think it should be mandatory for a company and or product that claims to be organic or semi natural to label their goods with all ingredients used.

When I first started using it, I was on vacation so I assumed the hair shed was from either swimming in the ocean (Lord, the tangles) or the tap water being different from what I'm used to. Then I got home and was still shedding a lot. Thought maybe it was just from the conditioner giving extra slip, allowing the shed stands to escape my hair.

Then ... I started keeping track lol. I counted almost 100 hairs on the shower wall. When I combed my hair later that day and MORE hair came out, I knew there was a problem. So I went back to my previous products for a couple washes. Less shedding but still more than usual. Used the ogx again and was counting 100 hairs again. That's when I stopped. At that point I knew for sure it was the s/c and not something else.

A lot of people have success with these products, too! Not me lol. Never again will I try, not even a serum. I have a bottle of their argan oil treatment laying around unused bc I'm worried it also was damaging my hair and I didn't know it. Come to think of it, my ends did seem to be getting drier when I was using it ...

Agreed with you completely on companies showing every ingredient. I'm a huge label reader, everything from shampoo to food. My bf used to think I was a crazy hippie for doing that haha. Now he gets it and we refuse to buy products with certain ingredients (for example, palm oil).

LittleQuill
February 8th, 2017, 08:15 PM
A lot of people have success with these products, too! Not me lol. Never again will I try, not even a serum. I have a bottle of their argan oil treatment laying around unused bc I'm worried it also was damaging my hair and I didn't know it. Come to think of it, my ends did seem to be getting drier when I was using it.

I personally like the brand myself. When I was using it, my hair was in one of it's better conditions. The only reason I don't continue to buy it is because here in Australia, the OGX brand is pretty expensive. (We're talking 15 to 20 dollars a bottle, and the deep conditioner is up to 25. Even the leave-ins are around 17 or so.) I'm not paying that much money for little bottles. *sadface* I can buy big one litre bottles of organic stuff (only one, mind) for those prices. I'd rather do that, 'cause at least then I know it'll last me a little longer. Even when CO'ing. Which I do more often than not.

pandabarrier
February 13th, 2017, 06:33 PM
Hairspray. Only used when dolling up for work's Christmas party. I didn't like how my hair felt brittle even after washing it off.
Dry shampoo. It doesn't work for me, scalp feels clogged in the end of the day.

LadyLongLocks
February 13th, 2017, 07:21 PM
Mane and tail shampoo and suave dry shampoo. The Mane and tale was very drying and the suave smell was very overpowering!

marvel-lover
February 13th, 2017, 07:34 PM
Injecting myself into the conversation regarding OGX, I don't like their shampoos and conditioners, but personally, I like their niacin and caffeine spray as well as their keratin oil.

My hair does not like Garneir Fructise shampoos and conditioners. The shampoo didn't clean well, and the conditioner left a huge buildup and weighed down my ends.

lapushka
February 14th, 2017, 05:35 AM
I wish I could just throw out the old conditioners that don't work for me so much (Europrofit, Les Karités). But I hate wasting products, so I am now using them up as a first C in WCC. I get tangles a lot these past weeks. I'm more than halfway through. I had 2x 300ml bottles of Europrofit and 2x 300ml of the Les Karités. So 2 bottles to go right now, and 2 gone.

These are my oldest conditioners in my collection (years old, *years*). Still good.

Next to that I am also using up my oldest shampoos. I am now using up the Lidl herbal shampoo. They hardly do shampoos anymore these days (apart for the one for very damaged hair - too moisturizing for me). It's literally *that* old.

I hate waste, though, so we're ploughing through. ;) :) I literally have wanted to toss them, but I just can't! :lol: Help. :lol:

Garnetgem
February 14th, 2017, 06:52 AM
I don't throw shampoos i don't like i use them for washing my brushes and combs instead rather than waste them by throwing them out..

lapushka
February 14th, 2017, 07:55 AM
I'm almost through the shampoo now, so... :shrug: I guess a few to 3 more uses and it will be *outta here*. Yesss! :cheer:

It's not a bad shampoo, don't get me wrong, but... I like my Pantene. :D

Bluecardigan
February 14th, 2017, 02:25 PM
I didn't exactly throw them away, but when I began WO-washing my hair in late november/early december last year, I gave the rest of my shampoo & conditioner bottles to my family and/or friends. :)

Carolyn
February 14th, 2017, 07:00 PM
I've thrown out conditioners when they got so old they didn't smell right. I had a bunch of the short, fat bottles from years ago and they went stinky. I tried using the jojoba one but my hair smelled so awful, I threw them all in the garbage. I've given quite a few things to a friend. She says she loves them. IDK if she is saying that to be nice. I've only thrown away one hair toy and that was that god awful african butterfly thing. I got it caught my hair and it was awful to get out. It went straight into the garbage can. Hair toys and products can fall out of favor around here but I keep them. I know that I might change my mind and be sorry I got rid of them. If I ever move I will probably pare down my stock of products but hair toys are small.