PDA

View Full Version : A big confession.... I need help

Eas693
December 14th, 2016, 11:09 PM
Ok so I have a confession... and a lot of you might be shocked.... I have never braided my hair in anyway ever... even before my hair crisis (child chopped my hair from about bsl to my scalp) I was doing horrible straightening treatments (I cringe thinking of how unhealthy my hair was).

brightside I have found this site and my hair is so healthy and just beginning to reach my chin. I really want to practice healthier hair styles like buns and braids but I don't k ow where to start. Are there unhealthy braids? Are there any styles you can recommend for an inexperienced shorty? I'm trying to learn and do better but I want to have fun while I wait for the length.

animetor7
December 14th, 2016, 11:56 PM
First of all, welcome to the LHC!! And perhaps it's for the best that you got a forced chop in the end if it was unhealthy? Eh? I don't know in any case here are some videos about how to braid that might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oleIpTxb6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTUiDFhzjao&t=85s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcPuruQMAw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht8w19Oulio

Torrinpaige (the lady in the videos) also has a lot of other videos about hairstyles and how she takes care of her hair that might be a good place to start with learning how to take care of your hair. But of course your mileage may vary and you'll have to find the unique routine that works for you. :) As for unhealthy braids, the only thing I can think of that would make braiding unhealthy for hair would be any sort of teasing or if you were to try to braid without properly detangling first. Other than that I think any braids you can manage will be more protective than leaving hair loose and buns are more protective still. Good luck on your hair journey!!! :)

littlestarface
December 15th, 2016, 12:23 AM
I learned braids when I was little and how I started was my horsies/barbies hair and then I practiced on yarn and then I would practice on little front sections of my hair. Start with regular 3 strand braid , that;s the easiest. Any braid is good as it's all contained, my favorites have been crown braids as they hide the length of the braid and don't rub on anything but you don't have to worry about that.

Buns take them as they come.

Borgessa
December 15th, 2016, 03:01 AM
Littlestarface mentioned practicing on wool, thats what I was going to suggest, to make it easier on yourself to identify the strands as you practice, use 3 different colours of strands, either wool, or ribbon to get some practice. Youtube is a great place to look up how to tutorials for which ever braids you wish to learn, for your first braids or plaits english braid is the most common prob easiest. For shorter hair, you will prob then need to teach your shelf a french braid technic

lapushka
December 15th, 2016, 04:34 AM
If it's chin, you could try a half-up, then braid the pony in a simple English braid. That would be the easiest. I think it might still be a bit too short, though, for anything else. But patience and the willingness to try and give it a go will get you far! :flower:

Chromis
December 15th, 2016, 06:16 AM
I could barely braid my hair before I found LHC and did not know "proper" buns/updos. All I knew were ponytails, wadding my hair up and shoving a claw clip in it (and hoping I didn't break it...again), and bunning involving like 20+ bobby pins because I hadn't a clue what I was doing. Now I know loads! And my hair is more than three times longer :laugh:

You might be a bit short yet for a lot of styles, but that is going to put you on a nice track for good growing out at least! I know Arctic has a compendium of shorter styles and you will pick up lots of tips and tricks and good video links as you browse here. Careful of just randomly searching on YouTube because there are a ton of not-good videos out there if you are trying to grow your hair out. The hairstyles subforum should have a great sticky and you can also poke through the articles, but mostly I suggest reading lots of threads because that was my own tactic and it worked great!

Eas693
December 16th, 2016, 01:58 AM
Thank you all so much for the advice! This is why I love this forum I've learned so much from everyone and I never have to cave embarrassed by my lack of knowledge or skills.

My hubby went out today and bought me some yarn, dolls, and one of those mannequin heads for hair so I now have plenty to practice all these tips on.

Love all the advice and links. Thanks again everyone!

Borgessa
December 16th, 2016, 02:20 AM
I warn you, becareful, braiding can become addictive.

I just love braids :)