PDA

View Full Version : Scratching out the roots?

Cass
December 14th, 2016, 09:33 AM
OK so this is a very strange thing that's happening and I've not heard of anyone else having it.

When I run my hands through the front of my hair (sides and front) I can feel small hard grains. When I pick them off they're usually attached to a hair or a long hair with a very short hair too. Some are white and some are like hard sebum yellowy see through.

Just wondering if this is normal or if anyone else has had this problem?

turtlelover
December 14th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Sounds like sebum hardening and causing clogged hair follicles. How often are you washing? Stretching washes does NOT work for everyone!

hanne jensen
December 14th, 2016, 10:01 AM
I'd clarify my scalp if I were you. I've experienced the same thing. As turtlelover posted above, it does sound like clogged follicles. You don't want that. Your hair will stall and get thinner.

A good clarifying poo and if you want to gently scrub your scalp add some cardemom to your poo. The grains are round and won't scratch your scalp.

parkmikii
December 14th, 2016, 10:02 AM
You could try a scalp scrub or scritching gently with a comb before washing.
Here (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/itchy-scalp-some-easy-remedies.html) you can find a sugar scrub recipe by Science-y Hair Blog. I've tried it and it worked for me, but make sure to be really gentle with it ^^

lapushka
December 14th, 2016, 10:25 AM
How often are you washing? And with shampoo, sulfate, sulfate-free, or CO-washing? What's your routine.

Cass
December 14th, 2016, 11:31 AM
I'm usually washing every 2 or 4 days. I use a none sulphate shampoo. I had been using a shampoo for SD called nizoral? I don't put any product on my scalp. I didn't take a picture but the last one I pulled out was quite large.

turtlelover
December 14th, 2016, 11:35 AM
I literally have to wash my hair every day and half to avoid SD flares. I suggest washing a lot more.

turtlelover
December 14th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Oh, and sulfate free is rarely a good idea if you have SD issues.

Cass
December 14th, 2016, 11:42 AM
I don't have the SD anymore the Nizoral cleared that. Is it a thing that comes back easily? I don't really know much about it. Will wash more often though and change to a sulfate shampoo.

Arctic
December 14th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Nizoral is a sulphate shampoo. And no, it doesn't heal SD to my knowledge, just calms up/prevents flareups.

Anje
December 14th, 2016, 11:50 AM
I don't have the SD anymore the Nizoral cleared that. Is it a thing that comes back easily? I don't really know much about it. Will wash more often though and change to a sulfate shampoo.

My understanding is that yes, it often flares up repeatedly for people. Many are able to keep it at bay by washing frequently (however often the scalp needs it) with sulfate shampoos, but when it acts up they tend to need something medicated like Nizoral to settle it down again.

Nique1202
December 14th, 2016, 11:54 AM
I get those sometimes, and something like scalp acne when they get bad enough to close off the follicle entirely. I've had a lot fewer problems with them since I started regularly massaging my scalp with a paddle brush before I wash to be sure that I'm really exfoliating it every time. (I don't want to use any sort of gritty scrub for fear of damage to the hair since I plan to grow quite long, but if you want to keep your hair shorter then that might be a possibility.) I don't think sulfate vs sulfate-free should make too much difference as long as you're thoroughly cleaning all the junk off your scalp every wash.

turtlelover
December 14th, 2016, 11:56 AM
My understanding is that yes, it often flares up repeatedly for people. Many are able to keep it at bay by washing frequently (however often the scalp needs it) with sulfate shampoos, but when it acts up they tend to need something medicated like Nizoral to settle it down again.

Yes, that is exactly right. If I go more than a day too long w/out washing, I need a wash w/ Head & Shoulders to calm it down. One time will generally do it, and then I just have to go back to frequent washes.

lapushka
December 14th, 2016, 12:11 PM
I'm usually washing every 2 or 4 days. I use a none sulphate shampoo. I had been using a shampoo for SD called nizoral? I don't put any product on my scalp. I didn't take a picture but the last one I pulled out was quite large.

If you have SD, then this is a definite flare-up. Use the Nizoral! And keep using it until it's all gone!!! Put it in your hair, suds it up some, leave it for 5 minutes, suds it up some more (wash), then rinse clear. It should get better almost immediately and more the more you use it. Do you have the 2%?

Cass
December 14th, 2016, 12:39 PM
If you have SD, then this is a definite flare-up. Use the Nizoral! And keep using it until it's all gone!!! Put it in your hair, suds it up some, leave it for 5 minutes, suds it up some more (wash), then rinse clear. It should get better almost immediately and more the more you use it. Do you have the 2%?

I think it is the 2% yes. I'm not getting the flakies or the yellowy oily patches just these strange 'roots'. At first i thought it was just roots coming out with the hair but i can feel them actually on my scalp.

Cass
December 14th, 2016, 12:44 PM
I get those sometimes, and something like scalp acne when they get bad enough to close off the follicle entirely. I've had a lot fewer problems with them since I started regularly massaging my scalp with a paddle brush before I wash to be sure that I'm really exfoliating it every time. (I don't want to use any sort of gritty scrub for fear of damage to the hair since I plan to grow quite long, but if you want to keep your hair shorter then that might be a possibility.) I don't think sulfate vs sulfate-free should make too much difference as long as you're thoroughly cleaning all the junk off your scalp every wash.

My hairs past hip and i want to grow it to atleast classic if it's possible :) i'll use a paddle brush to massage before i wash thanks for that advice :)

lapushka
December 14th, 2016, 01:04 PM
I used to get flare-ups when I went with a sulfate-free shampoo too. I now use a sulfate shampoo and wash once a week and it's all good; I couldn't stretch for a long time, some people can't, but my scalp somehow "normalized" with the oil production, I think, growing older, and also: length helps!

Try washing with a sulfate shampoo, once this is *gone*, after your Nizoral treatment. See what that does, and if it returns as fast as it did now.

Cass
December 14th, 2016, 01:16 PM
I used to get flare-ups when I went with a sulfate-free shampoo too. I now use a sulfate shampoo and wash once a week and it's all good; I couldn't stretch for a long time, some people can't, but my scalp somehow "normalized" with the oil production, I think, growing older, and also: length helps!

Try washing with a sulfate shampoo, once this is *gone*, after your Nizoral treatment. See what that does, and if it returns as fast as it did now.

Thankyou so so much. It's been bothering me for a while but now i think about it, it is since i started to use sulfate free shampoo which was around June. Wonder if this has has anything to do with my third of an inch a month growth? As i'm sure my hair used to grow much quicker hmm.

lapushka
December 14th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Thankyou so so much. It's been bothering me for a while but now i think about it, it is since i started to use sulfate free shampoo which was around June. Wonder if this has has anything to do with my third of an inch a month growth? As i'm sure my hair used to grow much quicker hmm.

It could have something to do with it. I don't know about hair growth in my case, and if it does grow slower when I get flare-ups, but I definitely lose more hair when I have full-on SD. It's important to keep your scalp as healthy as possible. I have been able to avoid the Nizoral just by using harsh sulfates. It is worth it to me. I couldn't go sulfate-free, and I most certainly couldn't CO-wash!

Cass
December 14th, 2016, 01:37 PM
It could have something to do with it. I don't know about hair growth in my case, and if it does grow slower when I get flare-ups, but I definitely lose more hair when I have full-on SD. It's important to keep your scalp as healthy as possible. I have been able to avoid the Nizoral just by using harsh sulfates. It is worth it to me. I couldn't go sulfate-free, and I most certainly couldn't CO-wash!

I tried CO washing before and i just ended up a greasy mess. Thought i was being clever by using sulfate free to help my hair. Guess it's not for everyone lol. Thanks everyone for your helpful advice can't wait to get my hair back in to nice shape :)

lapushka
December 14th, 2016, 01:53 PM
I tried CO washing before and i just ended up a greasy mess. Thought i was being clever by using sulfate free to help my hair. Guess it's not for everyone lol. Thanks everyone for your helpful advice can't wait to get my hair back in to nice shape :)

You're welcome! :) And I hope you get your hair back the way it was soon, so that you don't have to suffer through this for too long. Good luck!

Obsidian
December 14th, 2016, 01:54 PM
I also have SD and if I don't use sulfate shampoo regularly, it will flare up. I get very similar little bumps before a flare but they don't seem to be attached to hair when I pick them out but sometimes they are surrounding the hair and I have to slide the stuff down the hair shaft to remove it.

I would start with a good clarifying shampoo to remove as much as possible. I never use my medicated shampoo unless I have a flare or the itchies, then I use it until the problem clears up.
I very rarely flare anymore, washing every 1-2 days really helps but the main thing for me was finding a conditioner that didn't irritate my scalp. Seems most conditioner can cause me to flare with just a couple uses. Took me years to get a good routine down.

lapushka
December 14th, 2016, 02:13 PM
I would start with a good clarifying shampoo to remove as much as possible. I never use my medicated shampoo unless I have a flare or the itchies, then I use it until the problem clears up.
I very rarely flare anymore, washing every 1-2 days really helps but the main thing for me was finding a conditioner that didn't irritate my scalp. Seems most conditioner can cause me to flare with just a couple uses. Took me years to get a good routine down.

Sounds to me pretty much as though she does have a flare-up! And she already said that *for her* the problems seemed to start when she started using sulfate-free. Not everyone can go sulfate-free.

Cass
December 14th, 2016, 02:35 PM
If i find anymore i'll take a picture and upload it. It just feels like a grain of sand on my scalp so i scratch or rub it off and it pops off with a hair attatched. Hard to explain and i can't find a picture on google images either :/

lapushka
December 14th, 2016, 02:48 PM
If i find anymore i'll take a picture and upload it. It just feels like a grain of sand on my scalp so i scratch or rub it off and it pops off with a hair attatched. Hard to explain and i can't find a picture on google images either :/

Please don't scratch or rub! :( Use the Nizoral and gently massage before leaving it on for the 5 min. That should help without you having to lose hair over it.

Obsidian
December 14th, 2016, 03:48 PM
But is it truly a flare or is it just clogged follicles from using sulfate free? I get grainy bits too during a flair but they aren't in the follicle and the hair never comes out when I pick.
I think she needs a good clarifying wash or two along with the medicated shampoo but if the medicated isn't helping then she needs a different approach.

I do agree with the picking, since its removing hair you need to stop picking or scratching. Follow Lapushka direction with the nizoral, it needs to sit so it can kill off the fungus and soften up those bits so they wash away. Personally, nizoral doesn't help my SD at all. I have to use selenium sulfide shampoo, preferable the 2.5% but its prescription only here.

Nique1202
December 14th, 2016, 03:51 PM
If these things are anything like what I get, they may be totally unrelated to SD. I certainly don't have SD but I still get little nubs like small sesame seeds on shed hairs sometimes when I massage my scalp. Just something to keep in mind, given the description that doesn't really match SD symptoms.

EbonyCurls
December 14th, 2016, 05:11 PM
I sometimes get this if I get lazy with washing my hair. Both how often I wash it and how long I spend cleansing the scalp during the wash. What has been helping me is scritching my scalp the night before and brushing the dried sebum and flakes out. Then the morning of a wash maybe 30 minutes before hand putting massive coconut oil into my scalp and rubbing it in to soften any remaining sebum or dead skin so it can be washed away. I am sure the coconut oil probably helps protect the scalp from drying out and causing more flakes or overproduction of sebum, but that is just speculation.

I use now a sulfate free shampoo but one that contains tea tree oil. I love Giovanni triple Teatree triple treat because it is so potent.. Ever since I've begun brushing I notice a big difference in my scalp health.

hanne jensen
December 15th, 2016, 04:55 AM
Not everyone can go sulphate free. How is your sebum? Is it fluid oil or is it hard, dry and waxy? If it's hard, dry and waxy you need sulphates. About 10% of the world's population have this type of sebum. I'm one of them so I know what it's like. If I go sulphate free or try CO or WO I get flare ups like you. I'm just too embarrassed to go to the doctor when it goes away immediately after I wash with sulphate poos. My hair is waist length and I can't go more than 5 days between washes. It took me over a year to train my scalp to go that long between washes. Unfortunately if I go longer between washes I have to use industrial strength cleansers to cut through the wax on my scalp.

Cass
December 15th, 2016, 07:52 AM
I knew there was a reason why i was washing every 3-4 days! It says to do so on the Nizoral bottle. My hair obviously doesn't agree with that so i'll go back to every other day.

My sebum is usually fine not hard or anything. The third day of no washing is ok, but the 4th day my hair is a greasy mess and so itchy.

I'll stop picking and rubbing lapushka :) Just the thought of losing more hair then i need to gives me shivers haha.

Nique1202 yes that's what they're like! Little white sesame seeds apart from the one that was much bigger and was yellowy see through like a clogged pore on your face. I do get the flaky greasy SD though.

Thankyou everyone i'll update if i get rid or if i don't :)

lapushka
December 15th, 2016, 08:13 AM
I think you can wash more with the Nizoral should you need to. I have done that at one time, when my SD was *really* bad. Whatever works!

spidermom
December 15th, 2016, 08:29 AM
It's possible that a naturally shed hair got caught up in the sebum rather than you scratching it out of the follicle. (I don't know if this has been mentioned; I didn't read everything.)

missrandie
December 15th, 2016, 07:28 PM
I get these. To me, they're like scalp blackheads, and I remove them when scritching. Sometimes they come out with a shed hair as well.

Adavidal
December 16th, 2016, 01:31 PM
I used to have the same exact problem. It also didn't help that I would pick at my scalp when anxious. But I started using head and shoulders soft and silky shampoo and conditioner and it cleared that up right quick. Plus it makes my hair so soft and it smells nice.