PDA

View Full Version : Gets Hair Relaxed And Letting It Grow Out.

Dark40
December 13th, 2016, 06:43 PM
Hi All,

Who on here is relaxed, and is letting there relaxed tresses grow out?

cgirl
December 14th, 2016, 12:14 AM
Hi Dark40,

Not quite a relaxer, but I got talked into an alkaline straight perm on October 6th :doh: which I am now growing out.

lapushka
December 14th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Good luck to the two of you. I know all about growing out a curly perm, but I never had a straight perm or relaxer. :)

Strands
December 14th, 2016, 12:26 PM
I had a curly perm ONCE when I was a little girl. It literally did nothing lol. So I have no idea what you guys are going through.

Dark40
December 16th, 2016, 06:45 PM
Hi Dark40,

Not quite a relaxer, but I got talked into an alkaline straight perm on October 6th :doh: which I am now growing out.

Hi cgirl,

Oh, ok cool. I was looking for someone on here that gets a relaxer while letting their hair grow out in the meantime.

Dark40
December 16th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Good luck to the two of you. I know all about growing out a curly perm, but I never had a straight perm or relaxer. :)

Thanks. Oh, ok. I see. If you've never had a straight perm or a relaxer before. All you use is a creamy product that is made of chemicals that are suppose to change the texture of curly or kinky hair. My hair is curly so I really need this process. You usually do it every 6 to 8 weeks. But I stretch out my treatments to 2 or 3 months instead. So, that I can retain length.

cgirl
December 16th, 2016, 06:58 PM
Thanks. Oh, ok. I see. If you've never had a straight perm or a relaxer before. All you use is a creamy product that is made of chemicals that are suppose to change the texture of curly or kinky hair. My hair is curly so I really need this process. You usually do it every 6 to 8 weeks. But I stretch out my treatments to 2 or 3 months instead. So, that I can retain length.

How many times have you had the process done? Have you noticed any scalp problems from the chemicals?

AutobotsAttack
December 20th, 2016, 11:56 PM
by growing out do you mean transitioning? Or just continuing to relax while letting it get longer?

Dark40
December 21st, 2016, 05:22 PM
How many times have you had the process done? Have you noticed any scalp problems from the chemicals?

Well, I do my relaxers myself at home every 3 months, and no I didn't notice any scalp problems. But when I first tried this relaxer called, "Olive Oil Organic Root Stimulator," it did burn the back of my hair but that was it. After me using the product the first time I got use to it. It didn't burn me anymore, and I used the lowest formula. Which was the normal one for normal hair. Instead of using the strongest formula. I just decidede to stick with this relaxer. Because, I really love how bone-straight it gets my hair, and I also love all of the other products that comes in the kit as well!!!

Dark40
December 21st, 2016, 05:23 PM
by growing out do you mean transitioning? Or just continuing to relax while letting it get longer?

I mean continuing to relax while letting it get longer.

AutobotsAttack
December 21st, 2016, 07:26 PM
I mean continuing to relax while letting it get longer.

oh alright cool. well what questions do you have? I'm maybe an inch or two from MBL, so I can give you some good tips if you need them

Aunty Miki
December 21st, 2016, 11:09 PM
This is interesting. I was wondering about it. Mine is just wavy, in comparison.

Alma Petra
December 22nd, 2016, 10:38 AM
Oh I think that they call this "stretching the relaxer"

I was texlaxed then natural then relaxed and now every few inches of my hair look different because I kept changing my mind and experimenting with something new.

I think that I want to go back to texlaxed now. I'm a wash and go girl at heart but I also love the manageability of relaxed hair, hence the desire to texlax. My root inches are now relaxed and I can't wait to experiment again with texlaxing on my new growth. But I know that I have to wait for a while before I relax/texlax again. So yeah, I'm sort of trying to "stretch" me too. On the other hand, I don't want to wait for too long because what I'm going to be doing now is experimenting and I may not like the final results and may need to repeat the experiment again with the next few inches of hair (I want to preserve my curl pattern but at the same time condition my hair adequately with the relaxer). So This is why I am in a hurry to be done with this as soon as possible. Conflict of interests lol.

For how long are you trying to stretch? And how many weeks post-relaxer are you now?

Dark40
December 22nd, 2016, 01:41 PM
oh alright cool. well what questions do you have? I'm maybe an inch or two from MBL, so I can give you some good tips if you need them

Ok, great. I was just curious if there was anyone in this forum with relaxed hair as they let the relaxed hair grow out. As it is continuously being relaxed every 2 or 3 months?

Dark40
December 22nd, 2016, 01:42 PM

Ok, great. I was just curious if there was anyone in this forum with relaxed hair as they let the relaxed hair grow out. As it is continuously being relaxed every 2 or 3 months? Me as a kid my hair used to reach MBL. It hasn't been that length for years!!! But I'm almost there. Right now, I'm at BSL.

Dark40
December 22nd, 2016, 01:44 PM
This is interesting. I was wondering about it. Mine is just wavy, in comparison.

Oh ok cool. Yes, I also think this is interesting as well.

Dark40
December 22nd, 2016, 01:54 PM
Oh I think that they call this "stretching the relaxer"

I was texlaxed then natural then relaxed and now every few inches of my hair look different because I kept changing my mind and experimenting with something new.

I think that I want to go back to texlaxed now. I'm a wash and go girl at heart but I also love the manageability of relaxed hair, hence the desire to texlax. My root inches are now relaxed and I can't wait to experiment again with texlaxing on my new growth. But I know that I have to wait for a while before I relax/texlax again. So yeah, I'm sort of trying to "stretch" me too. On the other hand, I don't want to wait for too long because what I'm going to be doing now is experimenting and I may not like the final results and may need to repeat the experiment again with the next few inches of hair (I want to preserve my curl pattern but at the same time condition my hair adequately with the relaxer). So This is why I am in a hurry to be done with this as soon as possible. Conflict of interests lol.

For how long are you trying to stretch? And how many weeks post-relaxer are you now?

Oh, ok I see. I am 3 week post since my last relaxer, and I always try to stretch my relaxers out to 12 weeks. No longer than that. Or, I will start noticing hair breakage. About 3 weeks ago I've tried this kiddy relaxer by, "Africa's Best Olive Oil," and my hair still has some of the curly pattern to it. I mean, I'm happy with it but I do like the adult relaxer better. Because, it helps my hair to come out really bone straight, and I like it bone straight. Because, it's more manageable than when it's curly. My other regular relaxer I use is Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil.

AutobotsAttack
December 22nd, 2016, 10:47 PM
Oh, ok I see. I am 3 week post since my last relaxer, and I always try to stretch my relaxers out to 12 weeks. No longer than that. Or, I will start noticing hair breakage. About 3 weeks ago I've tried this kiddy relaxer by, "Africa's Best Olive Oil," and my hair still has some of the curly pattern to it. I mean, I'm happy with it but I do like the adult relaxer better. Because, it helps my hair to come out really bone straight, and I like it bone straight. Because, it's more manageable than when it's curly. My other regular relaxer I use is Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil.

This happens to me too, but ive learned you will never it get 100% straight as a pencil due to the physical makeup of our hair. Ill always have some sort of bump or half curl about an inch away from my scalp where the relaxer touch-up was rinsed out. But as I continue to relax the next application almost always gets on some previous relaxed hair that didn't fully straighten out from the prior relaxer, so in a way it gets straighter and straighter with each application slowly.

AutobotsAttack
December 22nd, 2016, 10:51 PM
Ok, great. I was just curious if there was anyone in this forum with relaxed hair as they let the relaxed hair grow out. As it is continuously being relaxed every 2 or 3 months? Me as a kid my hair used to reach MBL. It hasn't been that length for years!!! But I'm almost there. Right now, I'm at BSL.

I actually relax my hair in sporadic sessions. Sometimes I yield more growth after just one month, sometimes it takes me two or three to get some decent length. Just depends on how often I'm stimulating my scalp (washing and massaging). On a month where my washing is every day or every other day, followed by a decent scalp massage somewhere during the day, ill get 1.25 inches worth of growth, if I have just been washing 3 times a week or 4, I'm lucky to get 1 full inch. Most of the times its .75 inches. Just depends on how lazy I am lol. I find that cleansing my hair often keep dryness away. I don't shampoo every wash, but I co-wash with some diluted conditioner almost everyday.

Alma Petra
December 23rd, 2016, 09:31 AM
Very interesting! What do you think contributes mostly to the increased growth, AutobotsAttack? Is it the hydration of the scalp with water on a daily basis? Or do you massage and scrub with washing? What if you massage on a daily basis but without wetting your scalp? Does it give you the same enhanced rate of growth?
I love the feeling of water on my scalp!

AutobotsAttack
December 23rd, 2016, 09:59 AM
Very interesting! What do you think contributes mostly to the increased growth, AutobotsAttack? Is it the hydration of the scalp with water on a daily basis? Or do you massage and scrub with washing? What if you massage on a daily basis but without wetting your scalp? Does it give you the same enhanced rate of growth?
I love the feeling of water on my scalp!

I've been experimenting for maybe 6 months now? I have noticed that the massaging while washing is what leads to more growth. There was a month were I purposefully didn't wash as much and didn't massage and I only pushed out maybe .5 inches. I think the exfoliation of the skin, keeps the harmful bacteria away to allow the hair to sprout like crazy, along with the hydration of the conditioner and water to skin stays moisturized. I did notice some good growth even without washing and only massaging. The only reason I choose to do both is because I'm very physically active, and when I do scalp massages the sebum tangles my hair up something aweful. So in the shower the water flow keeps the tangling away. I've noticed that I massage my scalp a lot more than I think. I massage my hair in the morning (more so to wake myself up), when I shower, and when I oil my scalp after showering. At first I wasn't intentionally trying to increase growth, I was just making sure the product was evenly distributed. I'm not a fan of the inversion method. A lot of people say it will stop after some time, but I find that's not the case. I did the inversion method for two months just to see and most often times (personally for me), growth will stay constant. The only reason I stopped was because I kept forgetting.

AutobotsAttack
December 23rd, 2016, 10:03 AM
I think that the more often you exfoliate, and hydrate your scalp, along with massaging and stimulating blood flow, you will start to see growth. But its important to also keep nutrition in mind. Its hard for the body to fuel its everyday tasks if you're not giving it adequate energy. I also work out a lot, so the constant sweating does yield some good growth.

Alma Petra
December 23rd, 2016, 10:04 AM
Thank you for all the information! I'm now curious about the total duration of scalp massage in a whole day. How many minutes in total? Is it very vigorous or more on the gentle side? I once attempted vigorous massage but it both increased my shedding and tangled my roots. People here on the forums told me to rub and slide the scalp on the skull rather than slide the hair on the scalp. Sort of!

AutobotsAttack
December 23rd, 2016, 10:09 AM
I've also learned to keep my hands out of my hair whenever possible. And doing anything to my hair when its dry is what will give me breakage every single time. When my hair is 50% dry, that's when I can detangle it, and braid it up, without breakage. I do shed quite a bit, but its normal. I don't pre-poo, or DC as much as I used to because with conditioning everyday, my hair always gets some form of moisture. And I do shampoo more often than people would think. I will leave out shampooing maybe 2 times out of the week. But everyday other than those two days, I shampoo and then condition my hair with Herbal Essences. (I find this brand really moisturizes my hair after using any shampoo). I also think that shampooing a bit more often allows for a fresh new coat of conditioner to work to its best potential. Co-washing is fine and I like it, but If I co-wash for more than two days in a row, my hair will be dry due to build-up even after just washing it, and it doesn't matter the brand of conditioner I use, it always happens to me. I find this is the case with relaxed hair. Natural hair behaves a bit differently.

AutobotsAttack
December 23rd, 2016, 10:17 AM
Thank you for all the information! I'm now curious about the total duration of scalp massage in a whole day. How many minutes in total? Is it very vigorous or more on the gentle side? I once attempted vigorous massage but it both increased my shedding and tangled my roots. People here on the forums told me to rub and slide the scalp on the skull rather than slide the hair on the scalp. Sort of!

Everyone's hair is different. So for relaxed hair, I find I can massage a bit more vigorously when my relaxer was recent. When I get past the two month mark I have to really dig my fingers closer to my scalp as much as possible to keep the tangling away. But a good thing to do is just do it in the shower. So you might have to only massage in the shower so the water flow can keep the tangles away. Also the massages don't last too long, but they need be decent. A good 2-3 min massage is really all it takes. I would worry too much about the shedding, so long as you haven't noticed anything wrong with thickness or there isn't any thinning going on. Sometimes I do catch myself massaging vigorously because I'm in a rush (that's the main reason). And when that happens the tangling does happen (about 95% of my tangling occurs from shedding. the other 5% comes from my roots getting all jammed together). So to combat that right as I get out of the shower, I moisturize with some more conditioner (but I do not rinse this out), so create some slip, and I patiently detangle my hair in sections (mainly just in two or in four depending on how much time I'm willing to spend), and then oil my scalp with a light oil (peppermint), and then seal my ends with some sort of serum (garnier brands usually). The conditioner coupled with the serum is also what makes me have to shampoo the next day, but I don't mind, because I like to wash my entire body (hair included) anyways. And this whole cycle is what I figured out has been allowing me to experience so much growth as well.

AutobotsAttack
December 23rd, 2016, 10:20 AM
And sometimes there really isn't anything you can do about the tangling, so just be gentle as possible and detangle as much as you can without overdoing it (If you've gone over your hair more than two times its a bit too much). I don't detangle every night when I wash, because I end up putting my hair in a bun, or some sort of messy braid. The only time I really need to worry about having my hair completely detangled is if I'm deciding to have a straight style for a day or two. But if the tangles are ridiculous I will finger comb through very gently, and then try again the next night. Usually if this happens, I will have to part my hair into four sections to make sure I'm not causing any unnecessary mechanical damage while still thoroughly detangling my hair

AutobotsAttack
December 23rd, 2016, 10:24 AM
Also if you have to, just section the hair before you start a massage (if you're not doing it while showering). I find this cuts down on detangling almost completely, and also do it for 2-3 mins. There is a rare occasion I will massage for 6-7 mins, but that's if I'm just lounging about and have nothing better to do. ( you can do this more and more as you remember to). If you have an opportunity to massage then by all means do so. Focus more on scalp health, while leaving the strands completely alone.

Alma Petra
December 23rd, 2016, 11:16 AM
Wow thank you so much for this patient explanation! I'm grateful!

I would love to incorporate more massaging and more washes into my routine. I will try to remember to massage as often as possible while moving the roots as little as possible in order to avoid tangles. Me too I noticed that shed hairs cause 95% of my tangles. The rest can happen if I move my strands about too much or create unnatural curls in my hair e.g. bantu knot outs (which I love) because of my tangly fried ends. I hope that as long as I don't mess with the arrangement of the strands in my clumps, I will be able to avoid tangles despite frequent wetting and massaging. In fact frequent washing used to render my hair basically tangle free due to prompt removal of shed hairs. I stopped though because my ends are weak and fragile and can sustain mechanical damage if you as little as stare at them.

AutobotsAttack
December 23rd, 2016, 11:36 AM
Wow thank you so much for this patient explanation! I'm grateful!

I would love to incorporate more massaging and more washes into my routine. I will try to remember to massage as often as possible while moving the roots as little as possible in order to avoid tangles. Me too I noticed that shed hairs cause 95% of my tangles. The rest can happen if I move my strands about too much or create unnatural curls in my hair e.g. bantu knot outs (which I love) because of my tangly fried ends. I hope that as long as I don't mess with the arrangement of the strands in my clumps, I will be able to avoid tangles despite frequent wetting and massaging. In fact frequent washing used to render my hair basically tangle free due to prompt removal of shed hairs. I stopped though because my ends are weak and fragile and can sustain mechanical damage if you as little as stare at them.

You're very welcome. if you wish to ask my anything feel free. I noticed you stated your ends were fried, and one thing you can do for that is to take a bit of watered down conditioner, or have a spray bottle and spray your ends throughout the day. But with this, if you like to seal your ends with oils, try not to seal after every application of moisturizer because you're just going to create a giant build- up barrier. I would suggest maybe buying a serum because I find the serums behave differently than oils when it comes to how your hair feels once the product has dried. Also try sealing with the serum after you have air dried and moisturized. I use oils for the scalp, and serum for the ends and middle of my hair. I try to keep the serum away from my scalp because it acts a lot like my sebum oils and causes more tangling. And since you like bantu knots, when you go to unravel them coat your hands in some serum, or lightly spritz the knots before you take them down (this may cause the style to limp down a bit, but something's gotta give if youre wanting your hair to grow longer.) When I do a braid out I noticed that sometimes the dryness of my hands is enough to cause breakage, so I just make my hands slippery with serum to allow my strands to flow past my hands. And also be as gentle and patient as possible (easier said than done sometimes lol). And if the washing is causing your ends to become frail try upping the protein treatments, but mainly focus on the ends. Actually try this: when doing a protein treatment, ignore your hair from the roots to where the bottom of your ears end, and focus from that point on down. I find that giving protein treatments on the top parts of my hair causes too much protein overload and I get breakage at the shaft area, but if I focus on the older parts, they strengthen up a bit so that washing doesn't phase them that much. Try that out and let me know what happens. (youre gonna have to give it a bit though. Maybe a month, and see what happens). Otherwise if that doesn't work, try to really focus on getting the conditioner on the ends of your hair, and do some damp bunning, or bun up your hair, and let it still be damp in the morning. ( doing this can give added moisture and stretch to your ends where needed). I heavily load my hair with moisture because this lets my hair stretch a lot more and have more give when I put a comb to it or manipulate it with my hands when styling. You don't have to do exactly what I do, but try small little things first just to see where you get. try focusing on your ends first, then scalp second. Middle hair tends to be very strong and there's quite a lot of it, so just maintain that part.

Dark40
December 24th, 2016, 08:44 AM
Hi Dark40,

Hi cgirl,

Oh, ok cool. What is an alkaline straight perm? Is that some kind of straightener?

Dark40
December 24th, 2016, 08:56 AM
I actually relax my hair in sporadic sessions. Sometimes I yield more growth after just one month, sometimes it takes me two or three to get some decent length. Just depends on how often I'm stimulating my scalp (washing and massaging). On a month where my washing is every day or every other day, followed by a decent scalp massage somewhere during the day, ill get 1.25 inches worth of growth, if I have just been washing 3 times a week or 4, I'm lucky to get 1 full inch. Most of the times its .75 inches. Just depends on how lazy I am lol. I find that cleansing my hair often keep dryness away. I don't shampoo every wash, but I co-wash with some diluted conditioner almost everyday.

Yeah, me too. I also only co-wash 5 times a week, and I deep condition twice a week. I know what you mean about retaining that length. Well, my hair's texture is very soft. So, it straightens very easily. It's a soft grain of curly hair. I also like to cleanse more often to prevent heavy build up of dandruff or products. Plus, it helps to keep my hair smelling and feeling fresh. I would say per month I get 1.5 inches of new growth. Even with the hair, skin, and nails vitamins I'm taking on a daily basis.

Dark40
December 24th, 2016, 09:02 AM
I've been experimenting for maybe 6 months now? I have noticed that the massaging while washing is what leads to more growth. There was a month were I purposefully didn't wash as much and didn't massage and I only pushed out maybe .5 inches. I think the exfoliation of the skin, keeps the harmful bacteria away to allow the hair to sprout like crazy, along with the hydration of the conditioner and water to skin stays moisturized. I did notice some good growth even without washing and only massaging. The only reason I choose to do both is because I'm very physically active, and when I do scalp massages the sebum tangles my hair up something aweful. So in the shower the water flow keeps the tangling away. I've noticed that I massage my scalp a lot more than I think. I massage my hair in the morning (more so to wake myself up), when I shower, and when I oil my scalp after showering. At first I wasn't intentionally trying to increase growth, I was just making sure the product was evenly distributed. I'm not a fan of the inversion method. A lot of people say it will stop after some time, but I find that's not the case. I did the inversion method for two months just to see and most often times (personally for me), growth will stay constant. The only reason I stopped was because I kept forgetting.

Hey, I've noticed on your profile that you're at MBL!!! You are so lucky to be at that length now. I wish that I was at that length now. When I was a kid that's the longest my hair had ever been. But now, as an adult I'm trying to grow my hair out to longer lengths like classic. Or, to the top of my thighs. Or, possibly longer. I'm trying out terminal length. I'll see how long it gets.

Alma Petra
December 24th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Awesome tips and they do make sense. Thank you AutobotsAttack!

I think that I will incorporate the following:

Scalp massages.
Frequent wetting of my hair and scalp followed by wet bunning.
Adding more leave-in/moisturizer to the ends and sealing them with serum (how about butter or grease?) before wet bunning.
Incorporating protein treatments on the ends only, on wash days (happen once weekly.)

I will give it some time and then let you know how it goes.

You mentioned scalp exfoliation. Is there a specific product that you use for this purpose?

Alma Petra
December 24th, 2016, 11:54 AM

I think that I am lucky to not be prone to breakage if I stretch my relaxers. I also don't think that I would grow any significant amount of hair in less than 12 weeks anyway.
My last relaxer was on the 14th of November. It did not make my roots bone straight so I think that it counts as a texlaxer. Now I want to texlax intentionally starting next time.
The relaxers I have used most are also Africa's Best Olive Oil and ORS Olive Oil but the adult version of both.

I think that texlaxing has a steep learning curve though unfortunately :( :(

AutobotsAttack
December 24th, 2016, 12:54 PM
Awesome tips and they do make sense. Thank you AutobotsAttack!

I think that I will incorporate the following:

Scalp massages.
Frequent wetting of my hair and scalp followed by wet bunning.
Adding more leave-in/moisturizer to the ends and sealing them with serum (how about butter or grease?) before wet bunning.
Incorporating protein treatments on the ends only, on wash days (happen once weekly.)

I will give it some time and then let you know how it goes.

You mentioned scalp exfoliation. Is there a specific product that you use for this purpose?

When I say exfoliation I mainly mean gently scratching the scalp (nothing to cause inflammation but enough to raise up dead skin to allow new growth

And I wouldn't recommend grease. Butters are somewhat okay but they completely lock or moisture. I'd recommend any serum that is somewhat water soluble. Products by Garnier or herbal essences have really good oneself

AutobotsAttack
December 24th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Yeah, me too. I also only co-wash 5 times a week, and I deep condition twice a week. I know what you mean about retaining that length. Well, my hair's texture is very soft. So, it straightens very easily. It's a soft grain of curly hair. I also like to cleanse more often to prevent heavy build up of dandruff or products. Plus, it helps to keep my hair smelling and feeling fresh. I would say per month I get 1.5 inches of new growth. Even with the hair, skin, and nails vitamins I'm taking on a daily basis.

That's very good. And yea I've got that same texture. Ridiculously soft and fine and lightweight. Even at MBL my hair feels weightless.

AutobotsAttack
December 24th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Hey, I've noticed on your profile that you're at MBL!!! You are so lucky to be at that length now. I wish that I was at that length now. When I was a kid that's the longest my hair had ever been. But now, as an adult I'm trying to grow my hair out to longer lengths like classic. Or, to the top of my thighs. Or, possibly longer. I'm trying out terminal length. I'll see how long it gets.

Not so much luck as it is just diligence and patience. No matter the head that it's on, hair tends to act in the same general ways. There's a few differences when it comes to ethnicities but all in all hair has genral characteristics across the board.

AutobotsAttack
December 24th, 2016, 02:05 PM
I think that I am lucky to not be prone to breakage if I stretch my relaxers. I also don't think that I would grow any significant amount of hair in less than 12 weeks anyway.
My last relaxer was on the 14th of November. It did not make my roots bone straight so I think that it counts as a texlaxer. Now I want to texlax intentionally starting next time.
The relaxers I have used most are also Africa's Best Olive Oil and ORS Olive Oil but the adult version of both.

I think that texlaxing has a steep learning curve though unfortunately :( :(

I feel you on the learning curve part sort of. Texlaxing has always been an accident for me. I've always done the process to have it bone straight but it will never take to one perfectly and I think that's with the majority of people who also replace. But l intentionally overlap just a bit with each process, so completely straighten out what I didn't get before .

Alma Petra
December 24th, 2016, 02:41 PM
And I wouldn't recommend grease. Butters are somewhat okay but they completely lock or moisture. I'd recommend any serum that is somewhat water soluble. Products by Garnier or herbal essences have really good oneself
I have a serum by Oriflame (a Swedish company) that consists of a blend of water soluble cones. I'll give it a try.

I feel you on the learning curve part sort of. Texlaxing has always been an accident for me. I've always done the process to have it bone straight but it will never take to one perfectly and I think that's with the majority of people who also replace. But l intentionally overlap just a bit with each process, so completely straighten out what I didn't get before .
Yes I think that relaxing in general tends to give variable results if one doesn't pay close attention to the details of one's technique.
Mastering texlaxing is going to be a major challenge for me for 2017. Hopefully I will conquer it!

AutobotsAttack
December 24th, 2016, 04:30 PM
alright that's good. just give it whirl. And if you do wish to use butters, then remember to wash the day after or two days after. three days is pushing it.

And I've found that when purposefully trying to texlax, its good to get a regular or mild box. The super always tears my scalp up something horrid. And I've found I can work my head faster if I forget about the gloves and the applicator stick. (I know it may seems harsh on the hands, but I rub my fingers off onto a dirty towel every time I go to apply or smooth, so my nails don't get ruined, but if you must use gloves then go right ahead.

15 mins, is usually the threshold for a good texlax job. 30 mins+ and your looking at bone straight quality, under 15 mins, and its more of a curl loosener.

Alma Petra
December 30th, 2016, 01:28 PM
alright that's good. just give it whirl. And if you do wish to use butters, then remember to wash the day after or two days after. three days is pushing it.

And I've found that when purposefully trying to texlax, its good to get a regular or mild box. The super always tears my scalp up something horrid. And I've found I can work my head faster if I forget about the gloves and the applicator stick. (I know it may seems harsh on the hands, but I rub my fingers off onto a dirty towel every time I go to apply or smooth, so my nails don't get ruined, but if you must use gloves then go right ahead.

15 mins, is usually the threshold for a good texlax job. 30 mins+ and your looking at bone straight quality, under 15 mins, and its more of a curl loosener.

Thank you for the advice dear!

I am still not feeling any problems with my new growth, so I'll probably be a happy "stretcher" for the time being.

I am probably going to texlax between 10 and 15 minutes and watch for the effects I'll achieve. I don't want to loosen my curl pattern per se, just to condition the strands and make them more open to receiving moisture. Without moisture they are dry, brittle, and frizzy. I haven't yet been able to find the products that suit them best in their natural state, so going back to texlaxing seems to be a good option for now. The effect of good products can always become visible on the new growth.

Dark40
December 30th, 2016, 04:07 PM
This happens to me too, but ive learned you will never it get 100% straight as a pencil due to the physical makeup of our hair. Ill always have some sort of bump or half curl about an inch away from my scalp where the relaxer touch-up was rinsed out. But as I continue to relax the next application almost always gets on some previous relaxed hair that didn't fully straighten out from the prior relaxer, so in a way it gets straighter and straighter with each application slowly.

With my texture of hair. Any relaxer gets it bone straight. Believe me. After I'm done with the relaxing and styling process. Especially, the flat-ironing or wrapping I don't have any waves or curl patterns left. Because I'm like, "What's the sense in getting or having a relaxer if you're still gonna have curly hair?" And, the amount time I apply it is 8 minutes, and then my smoothing time is 7 minutes. So, it's actually on for the recommended time that the instructions say on the box.

Dark40
December 30th, 2016, 04:12 PM
That's very good. And yea I've got that same texture. Ridiculously soft and fine and lightweight. Even at MBL my hair feels weightless.

Hun, I wish my hair was your length MBL right now. It used to be that length as a kid. It is right now at BSL. So, I'm sure that with patience it will get there for February of 2017! I'm hoping.

AutobotsAttack
December 31st, 2016, 12:11 PM
Thank you for the advice dear!

I am still not feeling any problems with my new growth, so I'll probably be a happy "stretcher" for the time being.

I am probably going to texlax between 10 and 15 minutes and watch for the effects I'll achieve. I don't want to loosen my curl pattern per se, just to condition the strands and make them more open to receiving moisture. Without moisture they are dry, brittle, and frizzy. I haven't yet been able to find the products that suit them best in their natural state, so going back to texlaxing seems to be a good option for now. The effect of good products can always become visible on the new growth.

That sounds like a good plan. Yea the new growth lets you know immediately whether it likes something or not. But then sometimes I'll buy a product my new growth likes but my older strands hate it.

AutobotsAttack
December 31st, 2016, 12:11 PM
Hun, I wish my hair was your length MBL right now. It used to be that length as a kid. It is right now at BSL. So, I'm sure that with patience it will get there for February of 2017! I'm hoping.

That's right around the corner! You'll be there before you know it :)

AutobotsAttack
December 31st, 2016, 12:14 PM
With my texture of hair. Any relaxer gets it bone straight. Believe me. After I'm done with the relaxing and styling process. Especially, the flat-ironing or wrapping I don't have any waves or curl patterns left. Because I'm like, "What's the sense in getting or having a relaxer if you're still gonna have curly hair?" And, the amount time I apply it is 8 minutes, and then my smoothing time is 7 minutes. So, it's actually on for the recommended time that the instructions say on the box.

I'm starting to think my new growth never gets fully straight is because of the regular strength I use. Super strength gets it laid and slayed.

Dark40
December 31st, 2016, 06:49 PM

Yes, that is so very true! :-) I can't wait to get it back to MBL, and then continue to let it grow to the top of my thighs. That is goal for right now, and I'll see if I want to go longer afterwards.

Dark40
December 31st, 2016, 07:00 PM
I'm starting to think my new growth never gets fully straight is because of the regular strength I use. Super strength gets it laid and slayed.

Oh, ok cool. I can't use anything with the super strength. Because, my hair will fall out. My hair's soft curly texture doesn't need that much strength in relaxing. I only need, "Normal." Or, "Regular." I remember one day back in the 90s I had accidently bought a super strength formula, and boy why did I do make that mistake? After I dried and styled my hair. I started loosing and shedding hairs in the nape or back part of my hair!!!!!!!! All I could do was everyday and every week was keeping on deep conditioning and moisturizing it until all of that super relaxer grew out, and the name of the relaxer was, "OptimumCare super strength." I was so upset and devastated that I lost all of that hair in the back.

AutobotsAttack
December 31st, 2016, 08:43 PM
Yes, that is so very true! :-) I can't wait to get it back to MBL, and then continue to let it grow to the top of my thighs. That is goal for right now, and I'll see if I want to go longer afterwards.

I'll probably keep it at mid thigh and just introduce trimming regularly to enven up everything

AutobotsAttack
December 31st, 2016, 08:46 PM
Oh, ok cool. I can't use anything with the super strength. Because, my hair will fall out. My hair's soft curly texture doesn't need that much strength in relaxing. I only need, "Normal." Or, "Regular." I remember one day back in the 90s I had accidently bought a super strength formula, and boy why did I do make that mistake? After I dried and styled my hair. I started loosing and shedding hairs in the nape or back part of my hair!!!!!!!! All I could do was everyday and every week was keeping on deep conditioning and moisturizing it until all of that super relaxer grew out, and the name of the relaxer was, "OptimumCare super strength." I was so upset and devastated that I lost all of that hair in the back.

Oh yea I can understand that. Super always tears my scalp skin up. So I'll just deal with having some texture and then slightly overlap next application.

Dark40
December 31st, 2016, 08:53 PM
I'll probably keep it at mid thigh and just introduce trimming regularly to enven up everything

Ooh, that's a nice length!!!! That sounds like a good idea. To keep things evened up by trimming. I was also thinking of thigh length as well but at one point I was also thinking of aiming for floor length. We'll see how it goes. But yes, from time to time if I really need to I will follow up with small trims. Only the tips. Not even 1 inch. It's more like, 1cm.

Dark40
December 31st, 2016, 08:56 PM
Oh yea I can understand that. Super always tears my scalp skin up. So I'll just deal with having some texture and then slightly overlap next application.

Oh, I bet the Super does tear your scalp and skin up. Yeah, I think you can handle a little texture to your hair, and then slightly overlap next application. I try not to overlap. Or. my hair will start to feeling brittle and breaking off. I can always avoid overlapping.

AutobotsAttack
December 31st, 2016, 10:25 PM
Ooh, that's a nice length!!!! That sounds like a good idea. To keep things evened up by trimming. I was also thinking of thigh length as well but at one point I was also thinking of aiming for floor length. We'll see how it goes. But yes, from time to time if I really need to I will follow up with small trims. Only the tips. Not even 1 inch. It's more like, 1cm.

I thought about floor length hair, but I'd just end up getting frustrated by the length. I've read on here it gets difficult to brush or comb hair that's past your hands. So mid thigh would be a good place to keep my hair at.

AutobotsAttack
December 31st, 2016, 10:29 PM
Oh, I bet the Super does tear your scalp and skin up. Yeah, I think you can handle a little texture to your hair, and then slightly overlap next application. I try not to overlap. Or. my hair will start to feeling brittle and breaking off. I can always avoid overlapping.

Yea I've managed to keep moisture in my older ends a lot better. The recently relaxed hair tends to be more stubborn for a few weeks when I first relax it. But if Ill post a picture to show how much texlaxed hair I have. It's darn near almost three inches worth. I try to keep everything bone straight just because it keeps the tangling away.

Dark40
January 2nd, 2017, 08:30 PM
I thought about floor length hair, but I'd just end up getting frustrated by the length. I've read on here it gets difficult to brush or comb hair that's past your hands. So mid thigh would be a good place to keep my hair at.

Yeah, that's what I've heard on here as well, and I think about people like the beautiful famous country legend singer, "Crystal Gayle." I've always admired her for her ankle length almost floor length hair! I've seen in her interviews like on www.youtube.com when she gets ready to sit she just swifts it to the side of her, and just let it hang to the floor....lol. I was thinking the my terminal length was thigh length but something is telling me it may be able to grow a lot longer than that. We'll see.

Dark40
January 2nd, 2017, 08:32 PM
Yea I've managed to keep moisture in my older ends a lot better. The recently relaxed hair tends to be more stubborn for a few weeks when I first relax it. But if Ill post a picture to show how much texlaxed hair I have. It's darn near almost three inches worth. I try to keep everything bone straight just because it keeps the tangling away.

Oh ok I see. Yea I'm also able to keep moisture in my old length better as well. Especially, when I apply oils like, coconut oil, olive oil, vitamin E oil, and any type of Indian oil. I'm also like you when it comes to relaxing my hair bone straight. I love it when the whole length of my hair is bone or pin straight!!!

Dark40
January 2nd, 2017, 08:37 PM

Oh yeah, I also do have to say I had a close high school girlfriend of mine that had curly hip length hair. I met her with curly hair, and she wore it like that for a whole school year. Then, within the beginning of the next school year she came to school with it bone straight or pin straight. Like, she had gotten it relaxed or straightened some kind of way!!!!! I was really shocked about it!!! I was thinking that she might have gotten a relaxed like was black people get. Or, she could have gotten a keratin straightening treatment. But this was back in the late 1980s. Like, 1987 and her hair came GORGEOUS!!!!! I just had to share that with you.

Dark40
January 2nd, 2017, 08:41 PM

Oh yea I also forgot to say about my friends hair is that back in the late 1980s there was no such treatment as the karetin or brazillian treatment back then.

AutobotsAttack
January 29th, 2017, 04:44 PM
Oh ok I see. Yea I'm also able to keep moisture in my old length better as well. Especially, when I apply oils like, coconut oil, olive oil, vitamin E oil, and any type of Indian oil. I'm also like you when it comes to relaxing my hair bone straight. I love it when the whole length of my hair is bone or pin straight!!!

Causes a lot let less breakage and tangles. Sometimes I'll have three different textures going on because I didn't relax long enough.

AutobotsAttack
January 29th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Oh yea I also forgot to say about my friends hair is that back in the late 1980s there was no such treatment as the karetin or brazillian treatment back then.

I don't think anyone thought to use modern technology in that way before.

Dark40
January 31st, 2017, 05:07 PM

Yes. you are very right. It is right around the corner! And, that I will be there before I know it :) I've got a good feeling that I'll make it there by the beginning of March this year.

Dark40
April 26th, 2017, 04:09 PM
Today I've gotten my hair relaxed using the ORS Regular Strength Relaxer, and my hair has grown 1 and a half inches within a 3 month period!!! So, now I'm at Midback Length!!! Yah!!!! I am soooo excited!!!!