PDA

View Full Version : I cut my own hair

Kherome
December 13th, 2016, 01:42 PM
I've never attempted it before but I knew I needed (or really, mostly just wanted) a trim. My hair had reached mid thigh and I wanted it back at Classic which seems to be my preferred maintenance length. I dreaded calling the salon for an appointment. The person who does my trims is really good and trustworthy about cutting only what I ask for off. There is no worry there. But, no matter how often I ask he still seems to comb a little faster than he should and I can hear hair breaking and I hate it. Plus if he hits a snag it pulls on my head and I have neck issues and it hurts. So today I thought, what the heck. I have plenty of length, if I screw it up somehow no big deal, I'll go to the salon and they will correct it and I'll still be at Classic where I wanted to be anyway. So I did it! And I did fine. It looks good, nice and straight though it's just past Classic, I didn't quite cut it as short as I had intended. But good enough for this time!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 13th, 2016, 01:45 PM
That's great! Now you will be able to maintain your length yourself and not need to rely on hairdressers :) Do we get a photo?

Kherome
December 13th, 2016, 01:48 PM
I would post a photo but I've gotten really, really tired of fighting with my photobucket account to load and post photos here :(

Sarahlabyrinth
December 13th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Yes, Photobucket can be a pain....

lapushka
December 13th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Try imgur, Kherome! You can set your album to private easily, and post immediately. It's an awesome hosting site! I too have a PB account, hate it to bits!

I'm glad to hear it went well. Now you don't have to rely on someone else for your haircuts anymore (freedom!) - yay!

mermaid lullaby
December 13th, 2016, 02:17 PM
That's awesome! It sounds like you did a good job :flower:

RebekahE
December 13th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Glad it went well. I use tiny pic and copy the direct link and it works every time. Plus, I don't have to set up an account.

Yozhik
December 13th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Woot! Congrats, Kherome!
Add me to the list of people who'd like to see pics! :flower:

I've been cutting my own hair for the last couple of years and really prefer it to getting it done professionally. But I am a wurly girl, so YMMV.
BUT, I did recently begin trimming my own bangs which I was terrified about, but really, it's all fine as long as you have some idea of what you're doing and trim less than intended. :)

pailin
December 13th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Oh, good, for a moment I feared this might be a chopping thread!
I'm glad to hear it went well for you, because you have lovely hair, and because I'm thinking of trying it myself too.

LongCurlyTress
December 13th, 2016, 03:44 PM
What hair trimming technique did you use Kherome? If you used Faye's Trimming, did you keep your head straight? Bend your chin against your chest? Tip your head backwards? My reason for asking is that I recently trimmed using Faye's trimming technique but I ended up with the U hemline being too deep so I am trying to figure out what I did. I was hoping for a slight U shape... but the U came out too deep-- meaning the sides of the U are much shorter than the center part and also it seems to have a pointy shape in the center of the hemline. :(

I bet your hemline is super thick with this recent trim! Hope you post some photos!! ;) :blossom:

Kherome
December 13th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Oh, good, for a moment I feared this might be a chopping thread!
I'm glad to hear it went well for you, because you have lovely hair, and because I'm thinking of trying it myself too.

Go for it. It's not as bad as it sounds.

What hair trimming technique did you use Kherome? If you used Faye's Trimming, did you keep your head straight? Bend your chin against your chest? Tip your head backwards? My reason for asking is that I recently trimmed using Faye's trimming technique but I ended up with the U hemline being too deep so I am trying to figure out what I did. I was hoping for a slight U shape... but the U came out too deep-- meaning the sides of the U are much shorter than the center part and also it seems to have a pointy shape in the center of the hemline. :(

I bet your hemline is super thick with this recent trim! Hope you post some photos!! ;) :blossom:

I just combed it out nice and straight put a ponytail holder in about 3" from the bottom and cut it in a slight rainbow shape like -> n but obviously not that pronounced. This made the hem straight across when I took the pony holder off.

lapushka
December 13th, 2016, 04:09 PM

The key might be in the last step, where you're supposed to cut the pointy middle off to a point where you get a shallow U.

hannabiss
December 13th, 2016, 06:46 PM
RANDOM but in regards to photos I always upload them to my album here and copy the bottom cofr thats off to the side. And have always been able to see the pictures in the thread. *Lately I had issues on my last phone uploading to my album. But yeah I never needed photo bucket

DawnTR
December 13th, 2016, 07:15 PM
Kherome that is awesome! So glad you are happy. I know exactly what you mean about the stylist being a bit too rough with the comb and just breaking hair. It shocks me that they care so little. Last time I actually said 'ouch' because I did not want him doing it again. That was a year ago though and have not been back.

LongCurlyTress
December 13th, 2016, 07:49 PM
Thank you so much Kherome and Lapushka!! I will try that last third step that Lapushka mentioned and your technique Kherome-- in a couple of months for my next dusting. :) Maybe I can also gradually make the hemline straighter that way. :magic:

We are all still patiently waiting for your pics Kherome! :):popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

ETA just joined the no trimming in 2017 thread so I guess my pony tail trim will need to wait a year! ;) Wish me luck!!! PLEEEZEEEE!!

Kat-Rinnč Naido
December 13th, 2016, 10:58 PM
Congratulations on your success at cutting your hair. Enjoy your new length.

spidermom
December 15th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Congrats on a successful self-cut.

Wildcat Diva
December 15th, 2016, 10:09 AM
I'm not going to say never again for barber shop trim. The fast combing was what I hated. Barber lady told me she was fine with a coconut oil drenching, which would allow for a wet like comb out. I tried it once and didn't have enough oil in and I had to tell her to slow WAY down with her combing.

If I use her again, I'm going to really drench on the coconut oil and POINTEDLY tell her before I sit down that she needs to focus on combing at HALF speed. But I have had only two small trims in five years.

LongCurlyTress
December 16th, 2016, 09:21 AM
I'm not going to say never again for barber shop trim. The fast combing was what I hated. Barber lady told me she was fine with a coconut oil drenching, which would allow for a wet like comb out. I tried it once and didn't have enough oil in and I had to tell her to slow WAY down with her combing.

If I use her again, I'm going to really drench on the coconut oil and POINTEDLY tell her before I sit down that she needs to focus on combing at HALF speed. But I have had only two small trims in five years.

Unfortunately, all it takes is one rough combing to create alot of breakage. :(

lapushka
December 16th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Unfortunately, all it takes is one rough combing to create alot of breakage. :(

That *really* depends on how rough you are, though. I don't think hairdressers can do that much damage by just combing through a little roughly one time.

LongCurlyTress
December 16th, 2016, 05:15 PM
Loving my shorter length these days... hip is so much easier to detangle and style. Still can do all my buns, including my favorite nautilus. Yay! :happydance::happydance:

Pumpkin3826
December 21st, 2016, 05:04 PM
Your hair looks beautiful in your profile picture, I would be scared to go to a salon as well. Haha. I tried to cut my hair once, and will never again do it!!! I had just hit BSL and I decided to put in in two pig tails braids and just even off the ends.. Bad Idea, too this day my hair seems a little shorter on one side and that was about a year ago. After I did it I went into the salon my cousins works at and had her even it out for me, it was only about 1/4 to 1/2 and inch off. But for any one growing out their hair they know that is about a month of hard work!! Then she had to take off a little more, I was very bummed. Needless to say, I have not gotten a hair cut since.