PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about castor oil for hair health & growth?

pamela_07
December 12th, 2016, 06:37 PM
What are some easy recipes with castor oil to Restructure and make the hair grow!

lapushka
December 13th, 2016, 03:37 AM
Castor oil is pretty thick, especially for 2 type hair and an oily scalp. It can be as thick and gloopy as baby oil (and as hard to wash out on the scalp). On the lengths and with just a few drops, different issue, that will wash out quickly.

Use JBCO though, not the regular one (although it isn't that bad), but Jamaican Black Castor Oil has more nutrients.

But I'm taking, it's for your scalp. Consider getting those mixed castor oils, they are blended with coconut oil or other oils and come in blends. The brand is "sunny isle", I think. Or "tropic isle living". I'm not entirely sure.

pamela_07
December 13th, 2016, 07:18 AM
Castor oil is pretty thick, especially for 2 type hair and an oily scalp. It can be as thick and gloopy as baby oil (and as hard to wash out on the scalp). On the lengths and with just a few drops, different issue, that will wash out quickly.

Use JBCO though, not the regular one (although it isn't that bad), but Jamaican Black Castor Oil has more nutrients.

But I'm taking, it's for your scalp. Consider getting those mixed castor oils, they are blended with coconut oil or other oils and come in blends. The brand is "sunny isle", I think. Or "tropic isle living". I'm not entirely sure.

Thank you lapushka!! I will check them out on amazon!

ChloeDharma
December 13th, 2016, 08:29 AM

I've had a few of the sunny isle products. Their extra dark JBCO (though to be honest it's not really that dark), their ylang ylang conditioner and their pimento castor oil. I still use their extra dark one and sometimes the conditioner for the first C in WCC but I can't really comment on it these have helped growth or not by themselves. I can say my hair likes the castor oil though and it is good for softening up my scalp sebum so that it's easier to get my scalp clean.
I would also agree with Lapushka about mixing the castor oil as it's really thick and hard to work into the scalp unless you put it in an applicator bottle.
I've never found it hard to wash out though.

There's a super long thread over in the recipes section on castor oil you might want to read through if you want to see more people's experiences with castor oil.

ChloeDharma
December 13th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Oh I forgot you wanted a recipe. The easiest one is to mix it half and half with an oil you like, coconut is popular but I like it with avocado oil too.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
December 13th, 2016, 11:05 AM
I mix mine with coconut oil and add some eo, rosemary and cedarwood. It has helped with new growth but not increased length. I did notice the strands of my new growth seems to feel thicker and my scalp seems cleaner for longer.

Mrstran
December 13th, 2016, 11:58 AM
I do scalp oil massages once a week with half castor and half grapeseed oil. Grapeseed is said to encourage hair growth as well, so I figured it would be great to dilute the castor with it. In a applicator bottle, I let them sit in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes, apply, massage, and cap for a while.

almost alice
December 13th, 2016, 12:47 PM
I've been using it in a 4 to 2 to 1 coconut/castor/tea tree oil mix that I make myself as a deep conditioning/pre-poo treatment and I've been loving it. I don't use any special version of it, just the stuff you get at the store. If you find that its hard to wash out, use some conditioner before you shampoo. Since like dissolves like, it helps get the majority of the oil out of your hair before you shampoo.

likelikepenny
December 13th, 2016, 12:49 PM
I usually mix it with a leave in conditioner and apply to my ends

Eas693
December 13th, 2016, 01:24 PM
I mix mine in with some coconut oil and lavender and leave it in over night. I don't use a 50/50 mix since it is sticky on my hair I do about 25 caster and 75 coconut oil

hannabiss
December 13th, 2016, 02:58 PM
I practically smoothered my head in the stuff when my head was bald and for the first 6 months of my growing journey..didn't do anything for growth. Didnt notice many benefits.