PDA

View Full Version : Three months since last trim - first S&D found less than 20 splits. Success!

Larki
December 11th, 2016, 10:24 PM
Hey guys!

I just needed to celebrate for a minute. :D My hair has always been very fragile and prone to splits and breakage. I last used any heat about four years ago (even then I only flat ironed like once a month) so the hair currently on my head hasn't been greatly damaged in any way except sun lightening and mechanical damage - wearing it up all the time and keeping it oiled + doing regular deep conditioning helped some, but not significantly. Three months ago, directly before a 6 inch trim, I started using catnip spray as a leave-in every day, as well as Grow Gorgeous' split end serum (in addition to everything I was already doing). Normally at this point, my hair would be begging for a trim, but I just did my first S&D since the trim and barely found anything! This is HUGE for my hair. :applause

Just wanted to share! My hemline is still really even, too, since my hair is no longer splitting - I am planning on reevaluating in March, which would be six months since my last trim, to see if I need another one.

turtlelover
December 11th, 2016, 10:27 PM
Hey guys!

I just needed to celebrate for a minute. :D My hair has always been very fragile and prone to splits and breakage. I last used any heat about four years ago (even then I only flat ironed like once a month) so the hair currently on my head hasn't been greatly damaged in any way except sun lightening and mechanical damage - wearing it up all the time and keeping it oiled + doing regular deep conditioning helped some, but not significantly. Three months ago, directly before a 6 inch trim, I started using catnip spray as a leave-in every day, as well as Grow Gorgeous' split end serum (in addition to everything I was already doing). Normally at this point, my hair would be begging for a trim, but I just did my first S&D since the trim and barely found anything! This is HUGE for my hair. :applause

Just wanted to share! My hemline is still really even, too, since my hair is no longer splitting - I am planning on reevaluating in March, which would be six months since my last trim, to see if I need another one.

:cheer: Glad it is working for you!

Ellethwyn
December 12th, 2016, 12:22 AM
Awesome!

:hmm:Catnip spray,eh? I've read about this before. I may just have to try it! :)

How do you make it?

Nique1202
December 12th, 2016, 05:01 AM
I don't get many splits with my current routine but even if I did, I couldn't do this. Both my cats are catnip reactive, I'd never be left alone! :laugh: I'm glad you found a routine that works for you though!

school of fish
December 12th, 2016, 05:18 AM
Celebration indeed!!! It's a wonderful thing when you find something that works for you and you start being able to see the results in a real way - enjoy!!! :D :D

lapushka
December 12th, 2016, 06:01 AM
That's reasonable, even good, for 3 months.

I know what it's like. I had severe damage (perming, heat) and half my hair was riddled with white dots. That took half of my thickness from BSL to hip. I needed to have it cut back to BSL after that major S&D session.

Thank goodness you fared better than that. :D :flower:

Larki
December 12th, 2016, 08:21 AM
I don't get many splits with my current routine but even if I did, I couldn't do this. Both my cats are catnip reactive, I'd never be left alone! :laugh: I'm glad you found a routine that works for you though!

I have two cats who both adore catnip, and they pay no attention to this spray at all - I think the heating kills whatever makes them react.

vampyyri
December 12th, 2016, 08:46 AM
Woo, that's awesome!! :hifive:

I'm in much the same boat, I just don't get them as often anymore. I think the last time I S&D'd it was very minimal as well... guess that'll happen when your hair is up for 5 months and you only finger comb :lol:

Catnip, huh...? I've heard of people using it for split end prevention, but have never tried it myself :hmm:

Larki
December 12th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Awesome!

:hmm:Catnip spray,eh? I've read about this before. I may just have to try it! :)

How do you make it?

Just put a tablespoon of catnip in 6 oz boiling water and let it sit (let the water cool down) for at least an hour, then bottle it up. :) I find that it starts to stink after a few days, so I use fragrance oils as well in it. It's nice because it's really just water, so there's no way to use too much - it won't make your hair look greasy.

Ellethwyn
December 13th, 2016, 08:57 AM
Thanks a bunch, Larki! That sounds easy:) I need to start adding more moisture to my ends. I can't believe it has taken me this long to realize it.