PDA

View Full Version : Hair grown 3 inches in 9 months?

Cass
December 9th, 2016, 09:36 AM
The last time i coloured my hair was in March of this year. I found a newly shed hair and measured what i could tell was growth (my hair is naturally darkish brown but i used to dye it darker). It only came to 3 inch. I've seen a lot of posts saying that average is half an inch per month and mines obviously less than that. My question is that growth normal? Or am i just a slow grower :scared:

Strands
December 9th, 2016, 09:50 AM
I think everyone's growth varies pretty radically from what I have read on here, but maybe be sure you are getting lots of good hair food and taking care of breakage. I lost a lot of growth as it was coming in simply from having to tame my terrible ends. Perhaps a S&D is needed or a good dusting, but regardless I would give it a little before you assume it is just slow growth. I could be completely wrong of course, but I am hopeful your growth is faster than that!

:flower:

Cass
December 9th, 2016, 09:57 AM
Thankyou so much :) i went in to a bit of a panic and rushed to make a post. I'll be sure to do an S&D before the end of this year as i'm going for the no trim 2017 :) If it is just slow growth atleast i am at hip almost BCL so i am thankful for that :happydance:

Cass
December 9th, 2016, 10:04 AM
I also had SD for a few months could that have stunted growth?

lapushka
December 9th, 2016, 10:05 AM
If you get 4 to 6 inches a year, you're still *very* lucky! Stalls happen all the time, so maybe it's that.

spidermom
December 9th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Each hair on your head has its own growth cycle. What you need is an average of growth on shed hairs. You may come across one or more with 4 or more inches of growth.

Cass
December 9th, 2016, 10:16 AM
If you get 4 to 6 inches a year, you're still *very* lucky! Stalls happen all the time, so maybe it's that.

I honestly feel very lucky :) I actually feel like my hair has grown much longer than what it has so that's always a bonus :happydance::happydance:

I feel a little silly now, was just a freak out moment :silly:

Cass
December 9th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Each hair on your head has its own growth cycle. What you need is an average of growth on shed hairs. You may come across one or more with 4 or more inches of growth.

Yeah the ones ive measured today, maybe 5 or 6, all have the same growth. Some a little less than 3 inches. That's fine though atleast i now have an average monthly measurement :)

Anje
December 9th, 2016, 11:41 AM
That seems fairly reasonable. Consider that each hair goes through stages: Anagen, where it is actively growing (generally several years); telogen, where the hair remains in the follicle but is not growing (approximately 3 months); then exogen, where the hair is shed out. From that, you can guesstimate that the hair you found with 3 inches of root probably represents 6 months of growing after the last dye job, then 3 months of not growing at all, and then it shed. 3 inches of growth in 6 months is dead-on average.

Nique1202
December 9th, 2016, 01:54 PM
The thing about an average is that it's by definition not going to apply to everyone: it's the middle-of-the-road measurement. If Person A grows 0.75 inch/month, and Person B grows 0.25 inch/month, then the average growth between them is 0.5 but neither actually gets that specific amount. So, it's fully expected, when you do the math, that some folks will have a lower growth rate than the average.

Sometimes it's because of a nutritional deficiency (some vitamin or mineral) or because of illness, stress, side effects from some meds/treatments, any number of things, and sometimes it can be increased by fixing the source of the problem (though that's best done with a doctor's supervision). As long as you're healthy and your hair is growing some, it is what it is. Just because your rate doesn't match the average doesn't mean you're not perfectly within the normal, expected range. :blossom:

Cass
December 10th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Ok now i just found a hair with a 9 inch long growth? I'm so confused. Could my other hairs have just been new hairs within the 9 month that have grown, could i actually be growing an inch a month or maybe the hairdresser just didn't reach that particular hair with the dye. I'm really new to this whole measuring hair stuff.Until this year i've always had my hair dyed or bleached or extensions so i've not had any experience before with growing it and stuffs :confused: Any help is always really appreciated thankyou everyone at LHC :heartbeat

lapushka
December 10th, 2016, 09:44 AM
I think if it's just one hair, among the rest of the demarcation, then it's probably a fluke. ;)

Cass
December 10th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Haha yes probably! One can hope ;)

Cass
December 28th, 2016, 04:12 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I've since been clarifying my hair and not using sulfate free shampoo and my hair has grown half an inch since I last measured on the 10th of this month! So so happy 😃 I checked several shed hairs and they all had a 3 and a half inch root!

Borgessa
December 28th, 2016, 04:42 AM
Grow little hairs, grow!

MeAndTheMaz
December 28th, 2016, 06:01 AM
That seems fairly reasonable. Consider that each hair goes through stages: Anagen, where it is actively growing (generally several years); telogen, where the hair remains in the follicle but is not growing (approximately 3 months); then exogen, where the hair is shed out. From that, you can guesstimate that the hair you found with 3 inches of root probably represents 6 months of growing after the last dye job, then 3 months of not growing at all, and then it shed. 3 inches of growth in 6 months is dead-on average.

That's actually a very good point. All of your sheds ought to be, on average, the same. So if you find 20 sheds that have 3 inches of virgin hair on the end, and they've been dormant for three months, you should be averaging 6 inches grown in 9 months.

Alissalocks
December 28th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Consider that each hair goes through stages: Anagen, where it is actively growing (generally several years); telogen, where the hair remains in the follicle but is not growing (approximately 3 months); then exogen, where the hair is shed out.I read this whole sentence to my hubby, telling him, "I learn so much every day on this forum!" :blossom: You guys rock, especially you, Ange!

Cass
December 28th, 2016, 11:27 AM
I'm every so happy now :toast: Just worked out if i get on average half an inch per 17 days, i'll roughly get ten inches in 2017 :D That would be so cool and i'm also in the no trim 2017 so we'll see :)