PDA

View Full Version : Hair accessory help

MegHan-Solo
December 9th, 2016, 04:50 AM
I have a Christmas ball coming up, and seeing as I've just cut off a lot of my damage my hair is only at chin at the moment. I was trying to work out what to do with my hair and decided a hair accessory was the way to go. So I bought the one in the link below.
http://thehauterfly.com/wp-content/uploads/New-Look-f.jpg

I was planning on wearing it in a kind of 1920s style like in this link.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/90/38/d2/9038d2ef3af2404b6535ab7587334e7f.jpg

So the back of it has these three combs to secure it, but its really heavy, and my hair is quite thin and fine, and very soft/slippery (especially since cutting away the damage). I tried practising last night and it just wouldn't stay!
Does anyone have any ideas on how to help this?

lapushka
December 9th, 2016, 05:24 AM
It's pretty. Very pretty! Maybe use bobby pins to help secure it, if you fear it may fall out. And I would test-wear it for a day before, or an evening before.

MegHan-Solo
December 9th, 2016, 05:32 AM
Thanks! I might try that but I'm not sure if they'll hold it, I can't think of where I'd attach them.:confused: I was wondering if I French braided it and then put the combs into the braid it might hold, but I'm a little worried about damage.
Test wearing is definitely a good idea.

Nique1202
December 9th, 2016, 05:59 AM
The french braid idea is a solid one: it'll give it an anchor to hold on to, and if it's big enough then you should be able to just make a few turnings of the braid, hide the tail underneath the rest of your hair with a couple of hairsprayed bobby pins maybe, and hide the visible part of the braid under the accessory.

Alternatively, if it's just for the one night, you could look at a dry shampoo spray or a volumizing powder/spray. They add more texture to the hair and might help it grip better without the braid.

OhSuzi
December 9th, 2016, 06:19 AM
I had the same issue my hair is kinda fine & I went to the hairdressers for them to put it into an updo.
I washed it myself (Shampoo, condition, gentle cool blow dry) before going. Hair dresser really struggled to just get bobby pins to stay - she said ironically It's in such great soft condition, that the pins kept sliding out - generally we do suggest not washing your hair before putting it up - as it has more staying power with clips & accessories.
As I had no time to add one days worth of greasy hair, what she did was tease / backcomb and covered in hair spray - but only the bit she was tinkering with - the rest she left in the soft shiny condition it was.
It looked great and stayed in for an all day & night session in the pubs out doors & indoors on a hot summers day.

So you're not gonna like it as it goes against being nice to your hair but a teasey back comb and tonnes of hair spray does wonders for making clips stay in.
(One off mild damagey behaviour might not be over all too bad for your hair?)
You could ask a hair dresser to pin it in for you.
Or you may just have to accept that some hair accessories look great for a photo but are too heavey to be practical all night - find a similar really light 20s version made of sparkly plastic beads / feathers on Etsy or somewhere?

Or sew hair accessorie to a black silk scarf or elasticy ribbon - make it into a hair band - much more secure - still very 20s

your hair in your avatar is almost identical to the hair in the second picture you put in. 20s flapper / 30s hollywood is really gonna suit you!

MegHan-Solo
December 9th, 2016, 06:46 AM
The french braid idea is a solid one: it'll give it an anchor to hold on to, and if it's big enough then you should be able to just make a few turnings of the braid, hide the tail underneath the rest of your hair with a couple of hairsprayed bobby pins maybe, and hide the visible part of the braid under the accessory.

Alternatively, if it's just for the one night, you could look at a dry shampoo spray or a volumizing powder/spray. They add more texture to the hair and might help it grip better without the braid.
Thanks, that might work and not make it too obvious. That's a good idea, maybe if I do that and the braid it will work even better. I'll do some trial runs.

I had the same issue my hair is kinda fine & I went to the hairdressers for them to put it into an updo.
I washed it myself (Shampoo, condition, gentle cool blow dry) before going. Hair dresser really struggled to just get bobby pins to stay - she said ironically It's in such great soft condition, that the pins kept sliding out - generally we do suggest not washing your hair before putting it up - as it has more staying power with clips & accessories.
As I had no time to add one days worth of greasy hair, what she did was tease / backcomb and covered in hair spray - but only the bit she was tinkering with - the rest she left in the soft shiny condition it was.
It looked great and stayed in for an all day & night session in the pubs out doors & indoors on a hot summers day.

So you're not gonna like it as it goes against being nice to your hair but a teasey back comb and tonnes of hair spray does wonders for making clips stay in.
(One off mild damagey behaviour might not be over all too bad for your hair?)
You could ask a hair dresser to pin it in for you.
Or you may just have to accept that some hair accessories look great for a photo but are too heavey to be practical all night - find a similar really light 20s version made of sparkly plastic beads / feathers on Etsy or somewhere?

Or sew hair accessorie to a black silk scarf or elasticy ribbon - make it into a hair band - much more secure - still very 20s

your hair in your avatar is almost identical to the hair in the second picture you put in. 20s flapper / 30s hollywood is really gonna suit you!

Did you find your hair was okay after that? I guess probably once wont hurt, I could wash it and oil it as soon as I got home and brush it out REALLY gently. I don't have loads of hair so it shouldn't get to an un-salvageable state of tangles. I bought the accessory to avoid damage from heat styling while still looking fancy. It would probably be less damaging than heat styling right?

That's true, maybe if I wear it for the first bit and if I want to dance and jump around more later I could bring a lighter backup accessory.

Thanks! I was hoping my hair at this stage would be right for the look so I'm glad you think so! :D

almost alice
December 9th, 2016, 02:43 PM
I've found putting a thin coating of hot glue on hair combs can help keep them in. Obviously, you let it dry totally before trying to put it in your hair, but the texture helps it grip my hair. I wouldn't recommend putting it on the teeth of the comb, but the back of the decorative part.

I have to second the idea of spraying your hair with dry shampoo to add a bit of texture. I have slippery hair as well and I will sometimes do that when I want to put my hair up in something more complicated than a messy bun so it grips itself better.

OhSuzi
December 9th, 2016, 05:40 PM
Rubbery glue clips is genius!
My hair survived, it was about long chin length bob dyed red several times (box and vegetable dyes) and it was still in pretty good condition - shiny no splits.
And it was still like that after the up do - just took the pins out and washed the hair spray and teasing out.
(Was a half up bouffanty thing)
I did get hair cuts every 3 - 4 months as I was maintaining the bob, so I guess if there was any damage it wouldn't have lasted.