PDA

View Full Version : Hair stick length!

amino
December 8th, 2016, 11:16 AM
So I'm buying my mom a Christmas present. Her hair is like an 1b/c f i, currently shoulder blade length, so she has a pretty small bun. She's planning on letting it grow some. What length hair stick is most useful there? It's been a long while for me and I have slightly thicker hair than she does. I'm thinking 5" might be useful, but I also don't want her to outgrow them too quickly; also I'm currently away at college so it's difficult to experiment with my stash and see what matches her.

pailin
December 8th, 2016, 11:30 AM
I'd think 5" should last her a long time; my hair is past hip now, and I'm a ii; I have one 5" stick and I can still make it work, although 6" is better for me now.

Anje
December 8th, 2016, 11:41 AM
At fingertip with ii hair that tapered, I was only just getting to the point where 5" sticks were seriously short and I preferred 6". I could still use them, but they were getting to the point of being little nubs on buns. XD 5" is a great length for most folks who don't have thick hair.

nekosan
December 8th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Another vote for 5". My hair is F, borderline i/ii, somewhere between tailbone and classic (on a 4'11" person, so not that long in reality). I've decided that forks with prongs between 3.5" and 4.5" are ideal, and sticks between 4.5" and 5.5" usable length are ideal. 6" works for a stick too; more than 6.5" on a stick has an awful lot of unused length sticking out. (I've had people comment on my "antennae" when I wore a pair of 7" sticks.)

Nique1202
December 8th, 2016, 12:36 PM
I have middle-of-the-road ii thickness hair and now at tailbone with some layers I can still use a 5-inch stick but it pretty much goes stealth in the bun. If I do something like a disc bun it just barely holds enough of the outer loops down to hold the bun in place. So, a 5 inch stick even on the thinner end of things will definitely stay useful to her for quite a while if she's a i thickness, whereas a bigger stick might make her buns look smaller than they are.

lapushka
December 8th, 2016, 12:41 PM
So I'm buying my mom a Christmas present. Her hair is like an 1b/c f i, currently shoulder blade length, so she has a pretty small bun. She's planning on letting it grow some. What length hair stick is most useful there? It's been a long while for me and I have slightly thicker hair than she does. I'm thinking 5" might be useful, but I also don't want her to outgrow them too quickly; also I'm currently away at college so it's difficult to experiment with my stash and see what matches her.

I would say 4-5 inches. 5 is a nice "medium". The best thing would be if you could measure? Can you try a bun in her hair with a pencil, then measure + an inch on both sides on the parts that stick out of the bun - and there's your ideal length.

MidnightMoon
December 8th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Definitely a 5 inch or less. I wear 6 inch sticks just fine with ii, hip length hair.

wispe
December 8th, 2016, 02:19 PM
I'd go for 4.5-5" sticks. More than that and the stick might look disproportionately long. (I have a couple longer sticks I can't use unless I make looser/less compact buns). I can use 4" sticks, but I prefer at least 5" as it's a really comfy length without giving me too much of an antennae, and I don't expect to outgrow them anytime soon (maybe ever, if the bun is right).

jessic6
December 8th, 2016, 07:17 PM
Another vote for 5". I have waist length ii hair.

Kirby-oh
December 8th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Should be 5". Not too long to be difficult, the amount of stick showing will be reasonable.

MlleMC
December 9th, 2016, 10:07 AM
No longer than 5 inches. My hair is much longer and thicker (nearly fingertip and high ii), and I can still use a 5-inch stick in some buns, like a braided LWB, so there's really no risk of her totally outgrowing it. Anything longer would look disproportionate.

rags
December 9th, 2016, 10:54 AM
I have a tiny bit more wave than your mom - but same stats otherwise. Definitely not longer than 5". I do have a couple of sticks longer than that (TTs I couldn't resist!), but they do look disproportionate in my bun. Even when I was past hip they worked just fine, and probably would have until past classic for me. If she's a i thickness - she's not going to easily outgrow 5" sticks.

samanthaa
December 9th, 2016, 11:48 AM

Comparatively my hair is 1b f ii, hip length, and I still consider a 5" stick "long," especially in a center-held bun. But I don't like the aesthetic of a super long stick, so while it would definitely work for your mom (and I don't think she'll outgrow it for a long time), it's all about taste.

DweamGoiL
December 9th, 2016, 02:39 PM
I personally would go with 4.5". They are kind of a standard stick size and are easy to find with pretty toppers and different colors and such. You might have more of a challenge finding a 5" stick unless you get something custom made. I am assuming the idea is to get her to wear more sticks in the future not to only have one pair and that's it. I have much thicker hair and I was able to wear 4.5" until I was about mid-back length so I think it will take her a good long while to outgrow them.

rags
December 9th, 2016, 05:57 PM
I personally would go with 4.5". They are kind of a standard stick size and are easy to find with pretty toppers and different colors and such. You might have more of a challenge finding a 5" stick unless you get something custom made. I am assuming the idea is to get her to wear more sticks in the future not to only have one pair and that's it. I have much thicker hair and I was able to wear 4.5" until I was about mid-back length so I think it will take her a good long while to outgrow them.

This is hilarious because I would LOVE shorter sticks! Alas, I don't like topped ones and prefer slim, plain ones like Ketylo and the simple Graydogs. Few come shorter than 5". I agree though, it's not hard to find a functional length topped stick at 4.5" if you like them, and I too would recommend those if you're going with the topped sticks.