PDA

View Full Version : Can we blame Donald Trump for all the hair chopping going on?

turtlelover
December 7th, 2016, 05:43 PM
This cracked me up! I'm not agreeing with the article at all, but I HAVE seen a lot of hair chopping in the last few weeks! Hmmmmm............

http://www.aol.com/article/lifestyle/2016/12/06/women-in-washington-d-c-are-getting-the-post-trump-haircut/21621808/

ephemeri
December 7th, 2016, 06:11 PM
Haha.... wow. Isn't that interesting? I mean, it's probably just fluff but it does sort of make me think...:hmm:

pili
December 7th, 2016, 06:21 PM
Not surprising. When I had to sell my business and move across the country to a state I had never set foot in I chopped from hip to a pixie cut. Historically women have used chopping off hair as a grief indicator, like when a child or spouse died. There was a lot of high emotion tied to this election.

raemarthe
December 7th, 2016, 06:27 PM
I'd believe it!

Anje
December 7th, 2016, 07:14 PM
I somewhat suspect it. I'd already been considering it, but wanting to look less conventional post-election probably played a role in my chop.

Erinliz
December 7th, 2016, 08:04 PM
Interesting. Maybe I started growing mine to give me something else to focus on. ;)

cailinbee
December 7th, 2016, 08:25 PM
I'm willing to believe it! In the few days after the election I seriously considered a chop, tied directly to how I felt about the results. Definitely a high emotion / bodily control / grief sort of thing. I felt very out of control and helpless.

I decided not to let the election make me do anything hair-drastic, though -- two-week rule. ;) Instead I got involved in activism and am still growing.

Cherrys
December 7th, 2016, 08:56 PM
That was a fascinating read. I didn't take the election all that personally, but for me my hair is kind of like safety/familiarity/comfort, and so if I am grieving something, I'll hold onto my hair even more tightly.

Wildcat Diva
December 7th, 2016, 09:31 PM
I dunno, but when I got a package in the mail today from China months ahead of when I expected it, and pondered as to why that could be...hubby made me giggle by saying that it had everything to do with President-elect Trump.

Entangled
December 7th, 2016, 09:37 PM
In DC, probably. Across the country, I would look at the election from both sides and 2016 in general, for they generated a high degree of stress, which probably led to cutting.

Upside Down
December 8th, 2016, 12:38 AM
Only those in the US, I suppose.

hanne jensen
December 8th, 2016, 02:07 AM
No chopping here. I actually have average length hair for my age group here in Slagelse Denmark. Must be the economy. My hair is longer than Mrs. Trump's so I'm not imitating the new First Lady.

Salty Sloth
December 8th, 2016, 03:26 AM
I had sworn that I was going to shave my head if Trump won the election but my bf won't allow it. ;-;

So I went to a salon to go platinum. The story checks out! lol

lapushka
December 8th, 2016, 04:43 AM
Interesting. Maybe I started growing mine to give me something else to focus on. ;)

Haha, yeah, exactly. ;)

lapushka
December 8th, 2016, 04:44 AM
Only those in the US, I suppose.

True, we aren't all from the US, guys. ;)

Annalouise
December 8th, 2016, 06:59 AM
I definitely came back to LHC because I was tired of a year of politics. After the election all I wanted to do was talk about hair. :D

HairPlease
December 8th, 2016, 07:31 AM
I chopped in the summer because I didn't like the V-hemline and damage below the shoulder, it had nothing to do with the election. :rollin:

I could see Trump re-popularizing blonde on guys though. Put stock in bleach companies.

LadyCelestina
December 8th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Um, is it wise to mix politics into LHC? Especially if it's a topic many people feel so strongly about and has a potential to start a total bomb of a thread? :D

vampyyri
December 8th, 2016, 08:03 AM
I chopped in the summer because I didn't like the V-hemline and damage below the shoulder, it had nothing to do with the election. :rollin:

I could see Trump re-popularizing blonde on guys though. Put stock in bleach companies.

...and toupee companies.

I grieved quite heavily post-results, I couldn't even go into work the next day, was so anxious I couldn't sleep. But I didn't turn to my hair, my anxiety decided to sadistically torture me instead (loss of appetite, insomnia, panic attacks).

triumphator!
December 8th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Not surprising. When I had to sell my business and move across the country to a state I had never set foot in I chopped from hip to a pixie cut. Historically women have used chopping off hair as a grief indicator, like when a child or spouse died. There was a lot of high emotion tied to this election.
Though I'm not a fan of the PEOTUS, I can attest to this! I always cut my hair for emotional reasons.

I definitely came back to LHC because I was tired of a year of politics. After the election all I wanted to do was talk about hair. :D
Me too! I needed a nice spot on the internet away from the rabblerousing on Twitter!

raemarthe
December 8th, 2016, 09:30 AM
...and toupee companies.

I grieved quite heavily post-results, I couldn't even go into work the next day, was so anxious I couldn't sleep. But I didn't turn to my hair, my anxiety decided to sadistically torture me instead (loss of appetite, insomnia, panic attacks).

That's how I felt too, Vampyyri. ​I was a complete wreck.

RebekahE
December 8th, 2016, 12:37 PM
My theory-
Why did the first monkey fall out of the tree?
Because he was dead.
Why did the second monkey fall out of the tree?
Because he was stapled to the first monkey.
Why did the third monkey fall out of the tree?
. . . . . . . . .
Peer Pressure!
I doubt that's it but that joke always makes me laugh. Maybe it'll cheer someone up! lol

Frankenstein
December 8th, 2016, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't blame him specifically but probably just how depressing this year has been overall.

Shiranshoku
December 8th, 2016, 02:11 PM
, . . .

lapushka
December 8th, 2016, 02:27 PM
, . . .

Huh? I think something went wrong with your answer, Shir. ;)

Kirby-oh
December 8th, 2016, 10:10 PM
Women are cutting their hair, but will it extend the long hair trend for men? Look how long my hair is, I bet you wish you had good hair. :D

hobbitlocks
December 8th, 2016, 11:11 PM
No chop here, but I have been wearing a lot of battlebraids lately... and not just because it's was the HOTM.

neko_kawaii
December 8th, 2016, 11:21 PM
No chop here, but I have been wearing a lot of battlebraids lately... and not just because it's was the HOTM.

Glad someone was wearing them! I simply haven't had time to braid. Always happy to enable.

spidermom
December 9th, 2016, 09:12 AM
Hmmm, maybe. I remember listening to a talk radio show about how popular hair length follows political cycles. I know I absolutely agonized between cut/don't cut for years, then in October I just did it. Then did it again in November. Will do it again today, progressively shorter each time. Do my actions follow the political climate? I don't know. I have my personal reasons that don't seem linked to the election, but there may be something deeper going on.

Mrstran
December 9th, 2016, 09:15 AM
I think everyone envys trumps hair. So we are all chopping to get it.

:couch:

Entangled
December 9th, 2016, 09:25 AM

Bwahahahaha! :spitting:

truepeacenik
December 9th, 2016, 09:47 AM

Buy stock in henna that turns carrot orange?

Jokes aside, I control a lot more than my hair. Some would say I don't control my hair well.

If the idea is also "not Ms. Trump," I think almost knee is a viable option and the Beltway Babes should consider it. Sure it will be extensions to start, but eventually...

turtlelover
December 9th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Bwahahahaha! :spitting:

Well, I DO think Hillary copied him! Didn't she have longer hair until she was running against him? ;-)

KitraKatarae
December 10th, 2016, 04:32 AM
I retreated into my hair before, during, and especially after this election. Playing with and pampering my hair really became a way to relax, so no chopping here!
Though I had been considering using headscarves for the winter, since the cold gives me such headaches, but I keep hearing how women who cover their heads are being harassed and sometimes outright attacked. Maybe I'll rock my Halloween wigs instead. I got a neon green one, that's kind of Christmasy!

Rosetta
December 11th, 2016, 04:57 AM
An interesting thread (especially for those of us who are non-US). And also interestingly, I haven't come across an American who wouldn't have been upset about the Trump victory, which makes me wonder how on earth did he win...? :eek:

hufflepug
December 11th, 2016, 05:13 AM
An interesting thread (especially for those of us who are non-US). And also interestingly, I haven't come across an American who wouldn't have been upset about the Trump victory, which makes me wonder how on earth did he win...? :eek:

My suspicion is a lot of those who voted for him are ashamed and won't admit to it to just anyone, only people that they know share their views.

Wildcat Diva
December 11th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Meet me.

I would be having "serious issues" if Hillary Clinton had been our president-elect right now. Not that I think that it's now the time to relax against policies and tactics like hers. Far from it.

Wildcat Diva
December 11th, 2016, 07:21 AM
My suspicion is a lot of those who voted for him are ashamed and won't admit to it to just anyone, only people that they know share their views.

And... nope. Not in my case.

Ashamed... interesting assumption. The other emotion people who vote like me get pegged with as probably feeling is "afraid." I'll add ashamed to the list.

I do suspect that some people keep quiet because they don't want the hassle of being labeled aggressively and unfairly as racist, sexist, xenophobic or, alternatively, as ignorant, uneducated, or just plain stupid; this labeling seems to be an edgy trend right now among Trump opposers.

Several people on LHC have PM'd me privately about politics (often in solidarity and sometimes just to support me in how they see a lack of respect shown to me), but they won't often comment openly because of how they see people get slammed unfairly in public threads on here.

The general internet is even worse. Look up "Trump supporters memes." For example: "Because why learn the facts, when you can mindlessly preach hate?" Images of people who are toothless, overweight, idiotic grin on face, etc. I expect that these do get circulated on social media.
Do I want to be associated with that? Sure, sign me up! I'll tell everyone all about how I voted so I can be ridiculed and lambasted. (Wait, I just did, haha).

Yet look at the red/blue on the maps where people supported Trump over Clinton. I am sure people who are really interested can figure it out somehow. Or just draw an overly simplistic conclusion. Either way.

Rosetta
December 11th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Meet me.

I would be having "serious issues" if Hillary Clinton had been our president-elect right now. Not that I think that it's now the time to relax against policies and tactics like hers. Far from it.
Ok, you're the first one ;)

But seeing as our political views are directly opposed (I even tweeted Hillary Clinton about her speech next day after the elections, it was one of the best speeches I've ever heard, and I really don't know how anyone can criticize her policies, especially compared to the "politics" of DT), it's surely better not to continue about the topic... (Not to mention it's OT here, sorry mods!)

lapushka
December 11th, 2016, 09:21 AM
Ok, you're the first one ;)

But seeing as our political views are directly opposed (I even tweeted Hillary Clinton about her speech next day after the elections, it was one of the best speeches I've ever heard, and I really don't know how anyone can criticize her policies, especially compared to the "politics" of DT), it's surely better not to continue about the topic... (Not to mention it's OT here, sorry mods!)

Yep, I recall a DT - HC debate getting closed down. ;)

turtlelover
December 11th, 2016, 10:00 AM
When I started the thread it wasn't because I do or don't support Donald Trump, it was because I found the article funny and a little bit ridiculous.

Wildcat Diva
December 11th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Just because a person "doesn't know" how someone can criticize certain policies ...well, that opens up a whole lot of possibilities as far as learning about diversity and tolerance in thinking, open-mindedness, if you will. But those kind of debates aren't usually able to proceed in a public forum without someone being rude, mocking or sarcastic.

Also, for me. My thoughts on matters are never simple. I just had a discussion with my kid who is seventeen about whether I support legally mandated parenting classes. I immediately busted out with, yeah, that sounds great... in theory...but whose way is the "right" way that we will teach, and who will pay for it... and what do we do if people don't take the class, do we judge them and take away their children? Nah, it sounds great... until I really think about it, then I can't get behind that.

A lot of my beliefs on politics are like that, and I don't really love debating about them specifically.

Wildcat Diva
December 11th, 2016, 10:05 AM
When I started the thread it wasn't because I do or don't support Donald Trump, it was because I found the article funny and a little bit ridiculous.

It's all in good fun until the dialogue starts trending towards getting cliquey and presumptive. It's an easy scent to whiff, although many will say they don't smell it.

Stormynights
December 11th, 2016, 01:21 PM
I voted for Trump also. During his 60 Minutes interview his family and he were asked if his brand would be harmed by his run for president and they said it didn't matter, this is our country and it is more important. He put himself out there tirelessly speaking in so many places every day and spending his own money. He never got paid for his speeches. I am so sick of politicians and he isn't one. We need real changes for the good of the country.

If you voted for Hillary I know you had your reasons and I respect that. This is just my reasons for voting for Trump.

Decoy24601
December 11th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Can we continue talking about the hair related aspects of this post/article please? This is in the "Mane" forum after all.

I don't really think there's a direct link between hair chopping and Donald Trump, but it's a funny thought, since he has little :lol:.

triumphator!
December 11th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Ah, just checked in with my friend from DC from back when I worked for a politician and was a certified swamp dweller! She said she cut all her hair off after the election and shaved an undercut in because she wants everyone to be sure they know that she is 110% gay-as-gay-can-be. So ya know. Two sides to every coin!! :p

Forever
December 14th, 2016, 11:29 AM
Via an election system that makes it possible that the canditate voted for by most people loses.
So of course there is a big number of people - even a majority of those who voted - who did not vote for him.

DaveDecker
December 14th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Via an election system that makes it possible that the canditate voted for by most people loses.
So of course there is a big number of people - even a majority of those who voted - who did not vote for him.

The United States of America is not a democracy, it is a Republic. A democratic Republic, sure, but at its core, it is a Republic. From what I've read (can't recall where), most of the popular vote edge that Clinton had over Trump came from California alone.

Of course to be clear on the premise posed by the OP, the president-elect cannot be blamed for all of the hair chopping going on, because (I assume) he did not request people to do so. More like, some people are chopping as part of their reaction to the outcome of the election.

As for me personally, I would never even consider cutting my hair just because of the outcome of any election. If I am ever displeased about the outcome of any election, I think I would be better able to express my feelings verbally, instead of altering my appearance. Chopping because one's preferred candidate lost just seems like an ineffective way to express dissatisfaction.

Shiranshoku
December 14th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Huh? I think something went wrong with your answer, Shir. ;)

I have no idea why, but for some reason my phone only shows punctuation when I try to reply to a post. So strange!

KitraKatarae
December 21st, 2016, 03:49 AM
What has me sad is now I'm afraid to cover my hair in those pretty headscarves. Attacks on women with covered hair have definitely gone up, hijabs being outright pulled off, and talking about these facts is somehow cliquey?
I want to wear pretty headscarves! Headscarves should not be a political thing but now they are. Not all Muslims cover up, and not all head coverings are Muslim. But when a candidate talks about making a Muslim Registry, people respond, and those who hate Muslims feel bolder, and stereotypes come into play more often.
while I would not chop my hair because of the election, I have changed my hair style plans because of the election results. I wanted to wear pretty headscarves, and now I'm afraid to. Yet somehow the fault is on me for being afraid, rather than me being allowed to respond to the change in the social climate.