PDA

View Full Version : Growth spurt, reached waist and chopped it all off! :)

Wusel
December 7th, 2016, 11:15 AM
I'm sorry.
It wasn't for me. The braids and buns made me look so much older and too womanish...
I like to look cute and sassy and younger and girly...
I looked great. I looked like a woman, like a diva...
But that's not me.
I have collarbone plus now with face framing layers and look like a cute girl again. That's me.
I'm sorry.
I know now why I chopped it off years ago from waist to chin.
It simply doesn't suit me and makes me look like somebody I am not at heart.
I'm SO happy now. I mean it. I regret nothing. I'm ME again.
And I enjoy the 2-minute wash-and-dry-and-go. :)
And I did it by myself.
It was a hard work of 5 hours or so because I have so much hair but it was worth it.
I know how to DIY cut hair.
I used to do it for decades.
HAPPY!
NO regrets.

ReadingRenee
December 7th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Congratulations! I'm glad you are happy. I want to look like a cute girl again too! I know what you mean about feeling like someone you are not at heart. I am struggling with that too. Any chance of pictures of the cut?

Sarahlabyrinth
December 7th, 2016, 11:20 AM
That's great news! :D Do we get pics?

Kake
December 7th, 2016, 11:21 AM
That's great. I'm glad you're so happy. It sounds adorable.

I know what you mean about buns. I think they suit lots of LHCers, but I'm not sure about me.

LongCurlyTress
December 7th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Yes! Pics please!! I bet you look darling. You need to wear your hair how it makes YOU happy, no one else. :) Cute music video in your siggy!! )

lithostoic
December 7th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Pics, plz!

lunalocks
December 7th, 2016, 11:54 AM
No need for apologies. So glad you did what feels right for you. Can't wait to see the pics, too.....

Cg
December 7th, 2016, 12:04 PM
How wonderful to know you like the way you look now! And you're right, not everyone is comfortable with long hair and putting it up. Enjoy being the real you!

school of fish
December 7th, 2016, 12:05 PM
One should never have to apologize for happiness :) Congratulations :D

lapushka
December 7th, 2016, 12:38 PM
What is it lately with all these people chopping their hair off (me included). ;)

I'm glad you're happy with your haircut. :)

Suze
December 7th, 2016, 01:13 PM
It's great that you are happy, don't apologize for that. Is there any way we can see pictures? :popcorn:

Upside Down
December 7th, 2016, 02:13 PM
I'm happy for you!
Who are you apologizing to?

Lapushka, you chopped too?

lapushka
December 7th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Lapushka, you chopped too?

You missed that bit? :lol: Yep, from classic to hip, last week or so. I can "just" make my LWB. Phew!

MidnightMoon
December 7th, 2016, 02:42 PM
well, as long as you're happy that's what matters :o
my only concert perhaps is with how much you repeat looking "womanish" and being "a girl". no, you *are* a grown woman, it's just that not every woman has to or looks the same. you can be a bold woman, a cute looking woman, a goth woman, and the list goes on... perhaps others will not perceive you as a girl or young by your initial appearance but it's all in how you act and behave.
that said, pass the pics :guns:

spidermom
December 7th, 2016, 03:09 PM
PICTURES!

Wow - something contagious is definitely making its rounds of the LHC. I've cut from tailbone to midback and now am contemplating a more drastic cut to collarbone. The main complaint is having to wear my hair up and back all the time; I don't want to!

Annalouise
December 7th, 2016, 04:49 PM
Gosh, everyone is cutting their hair..:D Thank God I'm not! :wink: I've done that too many times and been sad about how short my hair was.
Hey, long hair isn't for everyone. If you are happy that is all that matters.

turtlelover
December 7th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Gosh, everyone is cutting their hair..:D Thank God I'm not! :wink: I've done that too many times and been sad about how short my hair was.

For some, the journey is more fun than the destination, and that's fine. Whatever makes you happy is what you should do! Better to take things slowly if you aren't sure, however, so there won't be any big regrets.

Upside Down
December 8th, 2016, 05:14 AM
You missed that bit? :lol: Yep, from classic to hip, last week or so. I can "just" make my LWB. Phew!

I havent been round here... well that's thick hair!! I can make lwb at mbl :lol:

well, as long as you're happy that's what matters :o
my only concert perhaps is with how much you repeat looking "womanish" and being "a girl". no, you *are* a grown woman, it's just that not every woman has to or looks the same. you can be a bold woman, a cute looking woman, a goth woman, and the list goes on... perhaps others will not perceive you as a girl or young by your initial appearance but it's all in how you act and behave.
that said, pass the pics :guns:

I am not sure where those lines are, woman vs girl :lol: does it matter???

lapushka
December 8th, 2016, 05:15 AM
Yes, I don't get the "labeling" between girly & womanly either, but it's *personal*, that's key here. It's all in how you personally feel with a hairdo or haircut and that is important.

I'm glad it went well, Wusel. But 5H cutting hair? WTH?! I know mine takes about a good 10 min. to comb out and in the right direction, but then it is snipped off and... good to go. So 15 min. tops. I just don't get how this could have taken 5H! :lol:

LongCurlyTress
December 8th, 2016, 06:46 AM

I agree!! I just trimmed back a bit every week for about a month... total of 5 inches from TBL to Hip length... a year's growth!! I miss it already!!! But the breakage was horrible at TBL for me... but this is short enough!! I remember cutting my hair to a chin length curly 3b bob in March, 2011 and loved it for the first week, but still had to wear it up since it drove me nuts in the wind/rain etc... my hair tends to get very big bushy and unruly when shorter so I need my length... But the change was nice in retrospect. Wusel... have fun with your new length!

LongCurlyTress
December 8th, 2016, 06:57 AM
I havent been round here... well that's thick hair!! I can make lwb at mbl :lol:

I am not sure where those lines are, woman vs girl :lol: does it matter???

I think Wusel means her shorter hair makes her feel more young and feminine... I know mine did for me...because it is easier to wear it down for some types of hair and wearing buns with my hair slicked back/no bangs does make me feel older... but with my hair type, it is the easiest way to tame it down. ;) Now I am trying to channel Frida Kahlo or Evita Peron for bun inspiration...;)

Wusel
December 8th, 2016, 07:14 AM
Yes, I don't get the "labeling" between girly & womanly either, but it's *personal*, that's key here. It's all in how you personally feel with a hairdo or haircut and that is important.

I'm glad it went well, Wusel. But 5H cutting hair? WTH?! I know mine takes about a good 10 min. to comb out and in the right direction, but then it is snipped off and... good to go. So 15 min. tops. I just don't get how this could have taken 5H! :lol:

I gave me a real professional haircut with tons of layers, rounded bangs... Try it on yourself. It's not easy. So it took me a whole evening of 5 hours to cut every single strand to make it even and looking like I went to a hairdresser. :) Try to cut a rounded hemline with soft layers... it'a a hard job when you have iii-hair :D

I don't behave like a grown woman most of the time (see video LOL). I'm like a crazy child at heart and will always be. So simple it is. I feel the most ME when my hair is crazy, uncombed, shaggy, with every strand curled in another direction (I have my wave-curls back :) )

Wusel
December 8th, 2016, 07:16 AM
I think Wusel means her shorter hair makes her feel more young and feminine...

Yes. That's it too of course. I look 10 years younger now. The buns and braids made me look my age. And my real age doesn't fit my personality.

Wusel
December 8th, 2016, 07:34 AM
And it simply looked like... nothing.
I started thinking all the time: What's the point of having all the hair hanging down the back when people look at my front, my face and only see something hanging on the back and there's nothing framing my face and making my face looking better, softer...
And what's the point of wearing a tennis ball or a cinnamon roll on my head, all hair contained in something strange, old fashioned and heavy on my head...
And what's the point of growing longer and longer when nobody sees it and it's just hanging behind me or in a protective "style". And whenn it was hanging in the front it looked even worse, dragging my facial features down... making me look tired, heavy minded and sad.
I have shiny, pretty hair and want people to see it in all it's beauty. And that's only when it's down and in the front, framing my face, dancing aroung it. Not hanging havily and disturbingly.
People stopped hugging me because of it, when it was down, just imagine... Because they were afraid to put knots in it or to rip it out with their studded jackets... And I was always afraid to damage it so I stopped hugging people with hair down too... No... That's not me. I love hugging people.

And, really, it doesn't suit me. Buns and braids and super long hair don't suit me.

lapushka
December 8th, 2016, 08:40 AM
I started thinking all the time: What's the point of having all the hair hanging down the back when people look at my front, my face and only see something hanging on the back and there's nothing framing my face and making my face looking better, softer...
And what's the point of wearing a tennis ball or a cinnamon roll on my head, all hair contained in something strange, old fashioned and heavy on my head...
And what's the point of growing longer and longer when nobody sees it and it's just hanging behind me or in a protective "style". And whenn it was hanging in the front it looked even worse, dragging my facial features down... making me look tired, heavy minded and sad.
I have shiny, pretty hair and want people to see it in all it's beauty. And that's only when it's down and in the front, framing my face, dancing aroung it. Not hanging havily and disturbingly.
People stopped hugging me because of it, when it was down, just imagine... Because they were afraid to put knots in it or to rip it out with their studded jackets... And I was always afraid to damage it so I stopped hugging people with hair down too... No... That's not me. I love hugging people.

And, really, it doesn't suit me. Buns and braids and super long hair don't suit me.

I don't feel particularly "old-fashioned" with my bun... just sayin'... :)

Wusel
December 8th, 2016, 08:48 AM
I don't feel particularly "old-fashioned" with my bun... just sayin'... :)

Many girls don't. I know :) Ballet dancers don't too. It depends on the face. But I definitely do. I'm sure you look cute and girly with a bun and a bun isn't old-fashioned looking with your face. On me it's like I transform into my own great-great-grandmother. And I feel like this as soon as I have it on my head.

turtlelover
December 8th, 2016, 08:52 AM

You sound like you're trying way too hard to justify this. If you want to cut your hair, just cut your hair. No big deal!

Wusel
December 8th, 2016, 08:55 AM
You sound like you're trying way too hard to justify this. If you want to cut your hair, just cut your hair. No big deal!

No. :) Just answering to answers. :)

spidermom
December 8th, 2016, 09:24 AM

That's how I'm feeling, too. In going through some pictures that have been taken of me in recent years, I almost look like I have no hair because it's all skinned back against my scalp. Or I look like an unkempt woman who doesn't care anymore because I've got fly-aways sticking out all over.

turtlelover
December 8th, 2016, 10:38 AM
That's how I'm feeling, too. In going through some pictures that have been taken of me in recent years, I almost look like I have no hair because it's all skinned back against my scalp. Or I look like an unkempt woman who doesn't care anymore because I've got fly-aways sticking out all over.

I can understand that feeling, though for me, bangs help a lot, and I think a lot of people like some mild face framing angles/layers (though I am sick of mine causing braid shred). If you like your hair better down, there is nothing wrong with wearing it at a length that allows that to happen more often. For me, APL was a nice length for that. I can understand the desire for something different. No judgment here!

Wusel
December 8th, 2016, 12:31 PM

Exactly. Same here. And bangs, which I've cut in a while ago, didn't help too.
And... unfortunately I've noticed my hairline in the front and on the edges thinning because of the buns and braids which were always putting stress on the roots pulled back. Now matter how loose my braid was or how perfectly done and placed my bun was... Whatever I did, my conclusion out of this experience is: It's not good for my hairline to wear my hair too long and too heavy.

lapushka
December 8th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Exactly. Same here. And bangs, which I've cut in a while ago, didn't help too.
And... unfortunately I've noticed my hairline in the front and on the edges thinning because of the buns and braids which were always putting stress on the roots pulled back. Now matter how loose my braid was or how perfectly done and placed my bun was... Whatever I did, my conclusion out of this experience is: It's not good for my hairline to wear my hair too long and too heavy.

I'm a iii, and at waist, honestly I can't do buns yet, so it might have been that you were putting your hair through too much stress because it wasn't long enough yet... it's a pity because that would have been so different had you grown on to hip, or TBL or even classic. But you did what you did because long hair makes you feel uncomfortable and you have to do what's best for you. Can we see pictures? :o

Wusel
December 8th, 2016, 12:38 PM
I'm a iii, and at waist, honestly I can't do buns yet, so it might have been that you were putting your hair through too much stress because it wasn't long enough yet... it's a pity because that would have been so different had you grown on to hip, or TBL or even classic. But you did what you did because long hair makes you feel uncomfortable and you have to do what's best for you. Can we see pictures? :o

I have no pictures yet but I try to do some at the weekend. :)
It wasn't only the buns. It was the braids and even low ponytails too which were too heavy. I have a sensitive scalp and hairline.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
December 8th, 2016, 10:19 PM
Congratulations Wusel! Enjoy your new look.

morrigan*
December 8th, 2016, 11:31 PM
That sounds great.
I too cut my hair from hip to midback and i love it.

samanthaa
December 9th, 2016, 07:30 AM
Oh, wow, no kidding. There really is something in the water right now.

All that matters is that you like it and are happy! Long hair isn't for everybody :) Hopefully we get to see some pictures! Congrats on a successful cut.

Mrstran
December 9th, 2016, 09:11 AM
I've been seeing this a lot lately too. There seem to be a veriety of reasons and I totally get it. Some feel the need for a fresh look, fresh start, and for some it's less hassle.

I watched one girl cut her hair off on YouTube. She explained that she needed to do it because she was sick of her hair being her identity and sick of hiding behind it. It was her security blanket. During the cut and hesitation, she looked scared and I think if she wasn't filming that she may have shed a tear or two. She screeched during the first chop. ( I did too watching this, realizing she was using fabric cutting scissors!) After she cut it, she had the biggest smile on her face.

I was very happy for her. In her own way, she found a bit of freedom.

Wusel
December 9th, 2016, 01:41 PM
I was very happy for her. In her own way, she found a bit of freedom.

Me too. It was too much hair to deal with and it covered my soul and personality. So much has changed to the positive since I did it. Now, my goal is to maintain the new length and to perfect my cutting skills by cutting regularly and learning new techniques to make it easier and not so time consuming.

I've measured 10 minutes ago, just out of curiosity. It's 57/58cm now btw. So, I've actually chopped off exactly 20cm. It was 77/78cm before. Not that much but feels like I've cut off a mile.
It's a bit more than a long bob now. Like APL or so.

And, you won't believe... After the stall I've grown 2 inches in only 1 month!

Anje
December 9th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Glad you like it! That's all that matters.

(And yeah, you're not the only one.)

dancedance
December 9th, 2016, 01:58 PM
Yay! Congratulations! I love short hair too, it's a great look. (And after a big chop you feel so much lighter. One of my favorite feelings.) I'm glad you figured out what you like best!

browneyedsusan
December 9th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Good for you!
I'm glad you like it. :)

Wusel
December 10th, 2016, 02:37 AM
Good for you!
I'm glad you like it. :)

Yes. I really do. It's a pity that very long hair doesn't suit me because I have great, thick hair like it's made to be very, very long, but, on my personal opinion, I look better now. And I feel better. Like relieved.

Stepo_NiNha
December 10th, 2016, 05:05 AM
Another one who removed a lot of length, precisely 12 cm of hair: me! Im back to waist after reaching hip length with white and see through ends. My ends are thicker than ever! I now realized that waist is my mark, not more not less. Congrats on finding the length that makes you really comfortable!

Wusel
December 10th, 2016, 06:03 AM
Another one who removed a lot of length, precisely 12 cm of hair: me! Im back to waist after reaching hip length with white and see through ends. My ends are thicker than ever! I now realized that waist is my mark, not more not less. Congrats on finding the length that makes you really comfortable!

Congratulations to you too! :)
Thank you! :)

lapushka
December 10th, 2016, 06:17 AM

Gosh it must really be in the water or air. :lol:

Congrats on your new length, and on finding out that that's the perfect length for you! :D

Stepo_NiNha
December 10th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Thank you guys :)

spidermom
December 10th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Back to look for pictures, found none. Disappointed. I can't want to see. I showed you mine. I want you to show me yours.

Rosamaria
December 12th, 2016, 06:03 AM
I am also getting my cut - tomorrow!

I've been growing out from a short pixie for the last couple of years and have got to 21 inches, but have decided that it's just not right for me.

I love the thought of long hair, and the inspiring pictures I see here, but the reality of my own hair when it is long is very different:
- it is only just 2 inches in diameter and looks very thin when tied back with an elastic band. I usually wear it tied back in a scrunchie, which hides the lack of volume. but scrunchies look so dowdy.......
- it looks nice in an up-do and suits my face like that, but if I have it in a bun, I can't sit in a car, or on a train, or lean back against a sofa - that banging of the bun on headrests and the need to sit uncomfortably forward makes my neck ache!
- like the OP said, wearing it loose drags my face down and makes me looks sad, and now that there are greys in amongst the brown, there's a slightly haggish element creeping in! shudder: It also tangles and gets in the way.
- I now need to wear glasses for reading and when I have my hair tied back and my reading glasses (half-moons) on, I look severe, which is not how I feel inside.
- like the OP, I feel that long hair makes me feel 'womanish', whereas, despite my age (!) I feel girlish, or even tomboyish. I live in jeans and greying hair in a bun with my Levi 501s looks a bit odd ;)

I've gone through this cycle of growing and cutting a few times in my life, but I knew that this was my last-ditch attempt at having long hair. From now on it will be short and I will just have to bite the bullet and and cope with hair-dressers and their little ways. :rolleyes:

The cut I'm going to ask for is the fourth one down on this page http://www.shorthairlooks.com/5-cute-short-haircuts-for-women/ I hope it will make me feel like this:happydance: I know from the past what freedom I've felt when I've cut long hair back to short.

Having said all this, I absolutely love the wonderful long hair that I see on this site. So don't be influenced by my decision - keep it growing if you like it long and are comfortable with it. The main thing, after all, is to be happy with the look you choose for yourself and to feel comfortable in your own skin! Good luck to all of you!!

lapushka
December 12th, 2016, 06:41 AM
I've gone through this cycle of growing and cutting a few times in my life, but I knew that this was my last-ditch attempt at having long hair. From now on it will be short and I will just have to bite the bullet and and cope with hair-dressers and their little ways. :rolleyes:

The cut I'm going to ask for is the fourth one down on this page http://www.shorthairlooks.com/5-cute-short-haircuts-for-women/ I hope it will make me feel like this:happydance: I know from the past what freedom I've felt when I've cut long hair back to short.

Having said all this, I absolutely love the wonderful long hair that I see on this site. So don't be influenced by my decision - keep it growing if you like it long and are comfortable with it. The main thing, after all, is to be happy with the look you choose for yourself and to feel comfortable in your own skin! Good luck to all of you!!

Honestly? To me it sounds like you are just going through an awkward stage. I would say "hang in there", but it looks like you have made your decision.
Maybe try the two-week rule first?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139091

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide!

Rosamaria
December 12th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Honestly? To me it sounds like you are just going through an awkward stage. Maybe try the two-week rule first?

I applied a six week rule and still felt the same!

spidermom
December 12th, 2016, 08:51 AM
I am also getting my cut - tomorrow!

The cut I'm going to ask for is the fourth one down on this page http://www.shorthairlooks.com/5-cute-short-haircuts-for-women/

That's very cute. Come back with pictures.

Looks like we need a sub-category now: short hair and how we style it.