PDA

View Full Version : How to pin back or otherwise protectively style short, thick hair?

hinabelle
December 6th, 2016, 10:31 PM
So my hair's been growing in thickly and I don't have a clue how to wear it without it becoming fuzzy, frizzy, matted, etc. It hardly fits in a bun (my current method of attack) and eventually pieces just fall out from that bun anyway. Once I give it a much needed trim, I'm not sure I could even pin it back/tie it up at all until it gets much longer. Even wearing my hair up in a bun and a sleep bonnet over it gets it all frizzy.
I'm basically willing to do whatever -- I've walked around with my hair wrapped in a scarf on top of my head on more than one occasion. However, all my scarves are made of cotton and other materials that aren't friendly to my hair. The goal here is to keep it hydrated, protected, minimize breakage, the works. If the only way to really get it protected is to wear it wrapped snugly, so be it. How's satin from the hobby store sound for a cheap and easy material? Does anyone know of pins that my ultra-thick hair won't spit out?
Here's hoping the answer isn't "it's not possible". :pray:

pili
December 6th, 2016, 10:44 PM
Two claw clips work for me. I don't like peacock twists so I twist and tuck the ends under and then use the claw clips on each side. My hair is too thick for buns at 25" stretched.

ETA: I also spritz a bit of water and use a tiny dab of butter before putting it up. I don't make it damp, just "cool to the touch". Does that make sense?

Arctic
December 6th, 2016, 11:04 PM
I was able to make a tucked under french braids at pretty short lenght. With your thickness you could make 2 (very trendy now!). I used mini claw clips to hold the stub/tail tucked under, but spin pins would work too.

Apolli
December 6th, 2016, 11:44 PM
I was able to make a tucked under french braids at pretty short lenght. With your thickness you could make 2 (very trendy now!). I used mini claw clips to hold the stub/tail tucked under, but spin pins would work too.

I second this! Braids that Start pretty high up were pretty good for keeping my hair a bit under control. That or double buns.

Nique1202
December 7th, 2016, 04:30 AM
-You might have some success with a disc bun.

-You also might be able to get a cinnabun held with a few spin pins used strategically. I find that using 3 like the sides of a triangle framing the inside of the bun holds extremely solidly, even with very slippery hair and layers.

-If you like braids, you can definitely get a respectable french/dutch braid (tucked or otherwise) if your hair's anywhere past shoulder length, or twin french/dutch braids, or if you have a bit of length maybe even a folded braid pinned up (though even an english braid worn long is somewhat protective, especially if you use a bit of a silicone serum on the ends to protect from friction).

My hair's not particularly thick but it's so slippery it acts like it's twice as thick as it really is, and those were my go-tos until I finally got to a length where I could start to do the "normal" protective stuff like nautilus buns (though I'm still struggling with the lazy wrap).

lapushka
December 7th, 2016, 09:16 AM
-You might have some success with a disc bun.

-You also might be able to get a cinnabun held with a few spin pins used strategically. I find that using 3 like the sides of a triangle framing the inside of the bun holds extremely solidly, even with very slippery hair and layers.

-If you like braids, you can definitely get a respectable french/dutch braid (tucked or otherwise) if your hair's anywhere past shoulder length, or twin french/dutch braids, or if you have a bit of length maybe even a folded braid pinned up (though even an english braid worn long is somewhat protective, especially if you use a bit of a silicone serum on the ends to protect from friction).

My hair's not particularly thick but it's so slippery it acts like it's twice as thick as it really is, and those were my go-tos until I finally got to a length where I could start to do the "normal" protective stuff like nautilus buns (though I'm still struggling with the lazy wrap).

I think "EL" means ear length, which means most of this is impossible.

I think maybe cornrows might be nice to do, as well as half-ups, if you can manage them. Otherwise, just wear it out. It's not going to hurt at this length and will look cute provided you give it the curly care it needs and the hydration and nourishment it requires.

pili
December 7th, 2016, 09:34 AM
I think "EL" means ear length, which means most of this is impossible.

I think maybe cornrows might be nice to do, as well as half-ups, if you can manage them. Otherwise, just wear it out. It's not going to hurt at this length and will look cute provided you give it the curly care it needs and the hydration and nourishment it requires.
oh! Then, yes, that makes a difference in the advice given. Maybe now that it is winter, you could line a beanie with silk/ satin and wear that. I also used to do two pigtails with a headband when it was that short.

Anje
December 7th, 2016, 11:48 AM
French braids are nice for short hair, and two of them can hold hair that's too short even to ponytail.

Hair that's too short/too thick to bun easily the "normal" way can often be bunned with a half-up, and then the rest of the length wrapped around it. I've seen the name "cameo bun" for this. :)

If you like the idea of covering it with a scarf, I personally wouldn't worry too much about cotton. But silk scarves are often pretty easy to find at thrift stores, if you feel like digging a little.

Pumpkin3826
May 4th, 2018, 08:33 AM
One thing that really helped me while I was growing out my chin length inverted bob was to wear the top half up in a "half do" with a clip, then I would do a low pony tail for the rest. My top bits were to short to reach down into the low pony tail but doing the half up do would get it contained while keeping what little length I had off my neck. I also had to use multiple barrettes to keep my face framing layers back. I would get creative with the barrettes and clips and match everything. It made wearing that many accessories a bit more fun! Once it got a little longer I would French braid the top while it was wet and just put it in a low pony tail since the ends were not long enough to braid. These were my go to styles for the first year I was growing out my hair!

Joules
May 4th, 2018, 08:44 AM
French braid! I was able to put 5-cm long fringe in a small french braid that one time when I cut it way too short. I'm sure you can do something with it, too. Dutch braid can be messy on your length, but hey, maybe you would like the messy look. French braids have been my saviour for years, I used it to hide botched cuts and fringe trims in them, I was wearing them 24/7 when I was growing out my fringe, it hides baby hairs perfectly and keeps my head from looking crazy frizzy, honestly, in my opinion french braid is the best invention of humanity.

Or you could try a few little buns (I believe it's called Bantu knots).

browneyedsusan
May 4th, 2018, 10:47 AM
When I was growing, I sectioned it out, because the top was longer.
Do something with the top: one or two french or dutch braids, twist(s) into a little claw clip, or topsy tail it.
Do something with the sides/back if they're long enough: a little disc bun or pony stub.

My hair is thin and fine, but straight Amish pins and spin pins work well for most hair types.

I had to pin my hair up from day one, because of the eye-poking bangs. Kept it "up" for many months, because it looked awful. I looked like I really needed a haircut. Desperately! :)

YvetteVarie
May 5th, 2018, 01:40 AM
EL I would say do a wash and go. And use a head band or bobby pins to keep your hair out of your face. You big chopped? Congratulations.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 5th, 2018, 04:59 AM
If your hair is ear length you probably don't need to do much - but if you like, a satin pillowcase will be good to sleep on. As your hair gets a little longer, French braids and a fanned twist with a claw clip will become your friends.