PDA

View Full Version : Straight when dry, curly when wet

leoninnu
December 6th, 2016, 09:58 PM
Okay so, my question in short is, if your hair is really curly when wet, is there any way to keep those curls when the hair has dried?

And the long form:

I used to have a 1a hair until around the end of my teenage years. Then I got a reeeeally drastic perm, as small and tight curl as you can get. Then I kept that rat's nest on my head for a while until it pretty much had to be shaved away. After that my hair has had a wave. It has been about... 12 years since that shave, I would say? In that time my hair hasn't changed that much when dry. But the wet state has changed. A LOT. Especially in this last year. My wet hair has gone from spiky straight to really curly. Cork screw curly at times. But it always straightens out when it dries. It still has some wave but it's generally straight when dry. So what's that about? And is there any way to keep those curls?

My hair is really fine, hennaed, and I do (conditioner to protect the ends when I remember)-shampoo-coconut oil routine, if that helps.

lapushka
December 7th, 2016, 06:51 AM
Depends on what you call "curly". If you're in the 1s it's not curly by any means. But it might be wavier than you think, yes.

Maybe try giving us a hairtyping picture (S/C, gently toweldry, and do not comb).

jfg1987
December 7th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Do you brush your hair when wet? How do you dry it?

My waves/curls stay very defined if I don't brush my hair when wet; I dry it on the cool setting in a bonnet dryer or I air dry if I have time and I brush out the tangles gently.

You could try some wave/curl defining leave in products to keep your waves/curls.

MegHan-Solo
December 7th, 2016, 11:02 AM
I have this situation though my hair is between wavy and curly rather than straight and wavy.
What I usually do is flip my hair about like I'm headbanging when it's wet. I find extra moisture weighs it down as it dries and doing this flicks a lot of it off without towel drying damage and squashing, and it separates the strands a bit which I think makes them curl more easily.
I also don't bush or comb my hair wet unless I want it to go straighter. Also as it dries I sort of push the ends up, not quite scrunching but similar.
Have you tried plopping? I haven't done it myself but I hear it helps a lot of people's hair dry with nice curls.