PDA

View Full Version : How damaging is this formula really?

BroomHilda
December 6th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Ok, the best finding I have found concerning the first two ingredients, till now, is this:

http://www.midwestscc.org/blog2/wp-content/uploads/presentations/Teamworks2012NonFormaldehydeSmoothing.pdf

The formula I am talking about:

QOD MAX PRIME S-FIBER HAIR-TREATMENT

AQUA, GLYOXYLOYL CARBOCYSTEINE,GLYOXYLOYL KERATIN AMINO ACIDS, POLYQUATERNIUM-37,
CAPRYLIC CAPRIC TRYGLYCERIDE, CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, GLYCERIN, PHENOXYETHANOL,
HYDROLYZED CERATONIA SILIQUA SEED EXTRACT,
ZEA MAYS,STARCH, BHT, LINALOOL, HYDROXYISOHEXYL 3- CYCLOHEXENE-CARBOXALDEHYDE,
COUMARIN,METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE, POTASSIUM SORBATE, SODIUM SORBATE,
GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, POLYQUATERNIUM-7

It is a keratin treatment, one of the "new generation" keratins without f/hyde.
The application is:
1) shampoo hair and blow dry
2) apply the product for 20-50 minutes
3) rinse well
4) blow dry and flat iron

So the application is fairly different form similar products. It requires rinsing and THEN flat ironing.

Anyhow, If anyone has any idea about the damage those two compounds can cause, I would like to read it.

hanne jensen
December 6th, 2016, 12:45 PM
The blowfrying and flat ironing will do irrepairable damage. The heat from the appliances literally fry the hair. I don't know about the first ingredient but I don't think the Keratin would do harm if followed by moisturizer. I'd do a test by applying it to a small lock of underhair and not use heat. See what happens before using it on all of the hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 6th, 2016, 12:49 PM
I agree with hanne jensen. The flat ironing is so, so, damaging.

lapushka
December 6th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Lack of formaldehyde or no, I still wouldn't do it!

hanne jensen
December 7th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Lack of formaldehyde or no, I still wouldn't do it!

I agree wholeheartedly, lapushka.

BroomHilda
December 7th, 2016, 10:46 AM
I have had great success using keratin treatments with f/hyde in the past, for more than 3 years in a row

Since I don't want to use f/hyde formulas anymore due to health concerns, I only want to know about this specific ingredient which replaced the f/hyde.
If someone who is a chemist (or anything) here, happens to know anything about its effect on hair, I would much appreciate their response

red-again
December 7th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Nt he ingredient after linalool is in the formaldehyde family sadly. If y.ou are looking to avoid it, this isn't the product for you. The first two highlighted ingredients are just synthetic ( chemically made) proteins / amino acids

Anje
December 7th, 2016, 01:08 PM
That said, there's a notable difference between a product having formaldehyde ingredients at concentrations necessary to alter the bonding structure of hair, and having fomaldehyde-releasing ingredients at concentrations that minimize microbial growth, unless you're severely allergic. Ultimately, you're almost always juggling the choice between having ingredients that are capable of inhibiting microbes or a product that only lasts a few weeks even with refrigeration, if water is a major component.