PDA

View Full Version : No-trimming 2017 - first half only!

Pages : [1] 2

lapushka
December 6th, 2016, 04:01 AM
For this challenge, you need to trim at the latest January 1st 2017.
Challenge ends on June 30th 2017.

No other trims are allowed during this half of the year for you to be part of this challenge.

If you want to no-trim for shorter periods of time during the year, then the "no-trimming club" is a better place for you:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...read.php?t=132

Welcome, and "happy growing"!

Here's some easy guidelines for you:

You may maintain bangs.
You may not cut them in.
You may S&D
You may not trim.

likelikepenny
December 6th, 2016, 07:17 AM
I'll be joining this thread as I don't know if I can go for a full year without trimming. However i have a feeling that I will go six months and then decide to finish out the year :D

lapushka
December 6th, 2016, 07:51 AM
I'm glad you joined. At least now there's a place for you to grow. :) Thanks for giving me this idea. I'm going to do it this way next year too, if I get the chance. A bit for everybody! :)

wispe
December 6th, 2016, 08:52 AM
I think I'll hop in here too. I've been trimming every ~4 months for the past year and a half, but I'd like to move to less frequent trims. If I can do 4 I can do 6.

chomsky
December 6th, 2016, 12:27 PM
I'll join this one too! I tend to trim when I get bored of my hair but I plan on straightening in June for a celebration, let's see if I can stick to it!

likelikepenny
December 6th, 2016, 01:14 PM
I'll join this one too! I tend to trim when I get bored of my hair but I plan on straightening in June for a celebration, let's see if I can stick to it!

I plan on straightening in June as well! I'm hoping to be a little bit past waist length by then :beerchug:

lithostoic
December 6th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Hmm maybe. I plan on getting a good chunk off next month. If it's shorter than I'd like, I'll join this.

omgitssarah
December 6th, 2016, 03:13 PM
I'm going to get my beginning-of-the-year trim tonight, and then I'll be in! My last trim was, I think, Dec. 23 2015. I've got my work schedule pretty much until the end of the year and this is the only day I'm sure I'll have time to go in.

cailinbee
December 6th, 2016, 05:54 PM
I'll be joining this thread as I don't know if I can go for a full year without trimming. However i have a feeling that I will go six months and then decide to finish out the year :D

Good idea! I started waffling on my "commitment" to the no-trim 2017 12-month version a few days ago. I'll just do this for now and see if it gives me momentum to keep up the whole year.

Cass
December 6th, 2016, 06:00 PM
I'm in :) if i last until June it will be a year since i last had a trim.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 6th, 2016, 07:44 PM
this may be better for me as i still get bent ends, i think ill do some self trims a few times before December ends.. so count me in!

rina06
December 7th, 2016, 03:53 AM
oh I'm in! :cheese:
I did the no trimming 2015 challenge for a year and it was awesome but challenging.
My hair is in better condition now and now that I've learnt what S&D actually is I'm going to use these 6 months to get rid of any splits and hopefully I'll have reached BSL by June so I can cut back to APL, which is where I am now (my ideal length but I'm growing out old hair dye)

Miss P
December 7th, 2016, 06:18 AM
Yay my first challenge! I'm a lot more confident in my success with this time length...hmm does this count as a half marathon?

lapushka
December 7th, 2016, 06:20 AM
Yay my first challenge! I'm a lot more confident in my success with this time length...hmm does this count as a half marathon?

I'm sure it does! :D

JadeTigress
December 7th, 2016, 07:07 AM
I'm in! I was thinking I was gonna to do the full year, but I feel much better about doing the first half and then seeing if I want to finish out the year after that. I've never gone a year without trimming, I don't know how my hair would do with it. But I have gone 6 months before. So I'll be doing my final trim on Christmas eve!

NimbleNut
December 7th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Hmmm....I think I'll jump in on this, too! I've gone 3 or 4 months before but never really took very good care of my hair. I'm now making a conscious effort to be nice to it (which is how I ended up here in the first place!). I'm currently at shoulder length so I'm excited to see where I'm at in 6 months. My last trim at this point was October 21st.

lapushka
December 7th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Hmmm....I think I'll jump in on this, too! I've gone 3 or 4 months before but never really took very good care of my hair. I'm now making a conscious effort to be nice to it (which is how I ended up here in the first place!). I'm currently at shoulder length so I'm excited to see where I'm at in 6 months. My last trim at this point was October 21st.

Welcome to the forum. And to this thread! :)

NimbleNut
December 7th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Thank you! I was so excited when I stumbled upon this site. I've already incorporated a few things that seem to be working well for my hair. it already seems healthier! Now I just have to have patience with the process. It's hard because I'm very much and instant gratification kinda girl!

LaísB
December 9th, 2016, 12:10 PM
My original plan for 2017 is to not trim, but I believe that a six month no trim is better for me, since I have never been so long without trims before, if I complete this challenge then I will decide if I go on the rest of the year or to make a small trim at the end of June. My last trim was in October, so that will be 8 months without trims for me. By the end of this challenge I hope to be at BSL (6 cm to go!).

Bea18
December 9th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Hi, I trimmed my hair today, after six months without a trim. It was needed so I could begin this challenge with a good condition in my hair.

I'll try to get six months without a trim again, and see if I can do only with S&D and complete the full challenge.

pili
December 9th, 2016, 12:53 PM
So joined the year long no-trim challenge, but now I'm thinking this one might be better. I revised my goals and I want to start getting rid of my layers once I hit waist stretched, which might be September (.5" per month).

lapushka
December 9th, 2016, 01:15 PM
So joined the year long no-trim challenge, but now I'm thinking this one might be better. I revised my goals and I want to start getting rid of my layers once I hit waist stretched, which might be September (.5" per month).

You can do both, and see what you can stick with. :)

dancedance
December 9th, 2016, 01:35 PM
I'll join in! I've been trimming every 6 months for a couple years now, so this will be easy.

Longhairgoals
December 9th, 2016, 02:01 PM
I'll join! I'm new around here and my hair is currently APL my current goal is WL

dancedance
December 9th, 2016, 02:03 PM
I'll join! I'm new around here and my hair is currently APL my current goal is WL

Welcome! You'll have WL in no time!

irishsapphire
December 14th, 2016, 10:10 PM
I'm in! I was debating about the whole year, but I like this plan much better :D

I was going to trim at the end of the month/beginning of January, but my ends look fine and I'm not where I want to be lengthwise yet. I think I'll skip the planned trim (maybe, I'll have to check the hemline in my length photo around the 25th) and just move right on in to this challenge.

Which would actually be hilarious if I didn't think I could commit to a whole year, and yet if I skip that trim, it will be a whole year I've committed to!

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 14th, 2016, 11:19 PM
Its much more reasonable to me to do the 6 months, for most everyone. :)
Did a trim tonight, ill do one again January first and then thats it for 6 months!!!

Kiiruna
December 15th, 2016, 03:07 AM
Hmm, I'll join here too. I can't go a full year withiut trimming, six months seems more appropriate. Let's see where that takes us :p

TatsuOni
December 15th, 2016, 03:11 AM
If I trim at January 1:st I will join. I'm in the six moth no trimming challenge right now, so I can't trim before that. I trim every six months anyway, so it would be funny to join here :)

Adavidal
December 18th, 2016, 10:14 AM
Hello everyone!

Im new to LHC, currently at CBL but aiming for waist length. I have kept my hair above my shoulder for years and have decided that I want a change and it will be fun to have long hair again.

This is my hair currently:

https://s29.postimg.org/9vhqeqtif/IMG_9914.jpg

I am am hoping I can make BSL by June. My hair seems to grow about an inch a month, occasionally I can get another half inch out of it when it growth spurts a bit.

My major goal goal right now is not to cut at all, since I am so used to having short hair. I'm trying to really take care of the ends. I will be going for a TEENSY tiny trim in the next week or two just to shape my bangs and dust the ends.

lapushka
December 18th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Adavidal, don't mean to be mean, but you'll need more than a year's worth of growth to get between APL & BSL, so no, realistically I don't think it's going to be BSL by June, unless you really have super fast growth (that inch), and even then I think it might take a full year.

mizukitty
December 18th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Subbied. And joining! I think I may go for a dry-cut dusting and layer evening before the new year so I can have healthy ends to take 6 months on!

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 19th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Hello everyone!

Im new to LHC, currently at CBL but aiming for waist length. I have kept my hair above my shoulder for years and have decided that I want a change and it will be fun to have long hair again.

This is my hair currently:

https://s29.postimg.org/9vhqeqtif/IMG_9914.jpg

I am am hoping I can make BSL by June. My hair seems to grow about an inch a month, occasionally I can get another half inch out of it when it growth spurts a bit.

My major goal goal right now is not to cut at all, since I am so used to having short hair. I'm trying to really take care of the ends. I will be going for a TEENSY tiny trim in the next week or two just to shape my bangs and dust the ends.

I think with an inch of growth a month, you could realistically hit APL in june. Not BSL. But somewhere just shy of APL. Most people need about 1.5 years to hit BSL at your length on average. If you have never had waist length hair you may not know that sometimes hair has stalls between lengths. I find the longer my hair gets the longer it takes to grow, texture changes, hair is prone to breakage because the ends are older now. Stuff happens, and sometimes the hair randomly slows down etc. I found my hair would grow an inch for a year, every month. Then suddenly it stopped. Then came back. Then stopped. Hair does what it wants. lol but I think you will hit APL or around it.

ipickee
December 19th, 2016, 02:42 PM
I'm in!! Currently about 8 months cut free.

Adavidal
December 19th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Adavidal, don't mean to be mean, but you'll need more than a year's worth of growth to get between APL & BSL, so no, realistically I don't think it's going to be BSL by June, unless you really have super fast growth (that inch), and even then I think it might take a full year.

My goal is less an actual length and more to not cut it and see if maybe possibly even though the chances may not be good to get it to APL. Maybe BSL is a bit of a pipe dream, but alas I have not had long hair since maybe elementary school so I have no idea how long it will be six months from now. My hair does usually grow an inch but I've never left it unattended for more than three or four months. It might stall, it might stop growing as fast or I might just chop it all off again in six months.

Thank you for providing some knowledge as I am very inexperienced with this hair growing stuff and will set more realistic goals based on the growth I see in the next six months.

H

Adavidal
December 19th, 2016, 03:38 PM
I see I see, thank you for your input as well. My major goal is just lasting six months without cutting and I'm hopin to hit APL. BSL is a bit of a stretch, I realize that now. Thanks again!

lapushka
December 19th, 2016, 03:42 PM
My goal is less an actual length and more to not cut it and see if maybe possibly even though the chances may not be good to get it to APL. Maybe BSL is a bit of a pipe dream, but alas I have not had long hair since maybe elementary school so I have no idea how long it will be six months from now. My hair does usually grow an inch but I've never left it unattended for more than three or four months. It might stall, it might stop growing as fast or I might just chop it all off again in six months.

Thank you for providing some knowledge as I am very inexperienced with this hair growing stuff and will set more realistic goals based on the growth I see in the next six months.

H

Hey, we can dream. I'm hip length now. I know where my hair will be in a year (been there), it will be TBL. Still I have subbed to the classic by Christmas 2017 thread as well - it's good to dream. But it's also good to be a little realistic amid it all. Anyway, the best way to *really* know is to measure your length, and calculate where you'll be in a year, and half a year. This way you'll have no surprises and you'll about know what to expect. :flower:

Adavidal
December 19th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Hey, we can dream. I'm hip length now. I know where my hair will be in a year (been there), it will be TBL. Still I have subbed to the classic by Christmas 2017 thread as well - it's good to dream. But it's also good to be a little realistic amid it all. Anyway, the best way to *really* know is to measure your length, and calculate where you'll be in a year, and half a year. This way you'll have no surprises and you'll about know what to expect. :flower:

I'm planning on measuring pretty frequently now, but I had no idea anyone actually measured their hair until I started reading the forums on here.

I'm currently at 16.5", the first time I measured was two days ago so I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it. Thanks!

Mammasaurusrex
December 19th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Im in! Im just below apl now and hoping to be bsl by June =]

rhaena
December 19th, 2016, 04:27 PM
I don't know if I can go the whole year without trims so here I am! Things are looking pretty good at the moment but my ends might start hating me in 6 months lmao, I'm hoping that I can make the whole year and get to my mini milestone of mermaid hair (basically just so it covers my boobs) but I dont want to stress myself out with any big commitments.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 19th, 2016, 04:37 PM
Hmmm, wondering if I should join in here. My ends are in good shape, and if I do a dusting before the end of the year.... I should be able to manage it.... It's so good for gaining length.... :hmm:

LongCurlyTress
December 19th, 2016, 05:48 PM
I think this might be a good thread for me to also sub to... I subbed to the no trimming thread for the whole year, but a half year is probably more realistic. Well, maybe I will just take it in half year increments-- to be more successful!!! I sure do miss my 5 inches that I recently chopped off! :brickwall Wishing us all good hair growing luck in 2017!!:magic:

pili
December 19th, 2016, 06:55 PM
I'm planning on measuring pretty frequently now, but I had no idea anyone actually measured their hair until I started reading the forums on here.

I'm currently at 16.5", the first time I measured was two days ago so I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it. Thanks!

There is length tracking/prediction spreadsheet somewhere around here...Lapushka (or anyone else) do you remember where? It lets you put in your measurements by dates and calculates where you will be. Over time it can calculate an average growth rate. Like I grow an inch a month in the heat of summer, but only half an inch over the colder months. So over the year it gives you an average. You can also put in your mile marker measurements and it can tell you based on average growth when you will hit it. I'll try to find it...

Here it is! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=36275

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 19th, 2016, 08:09 PM
There is length tracking/prediction spreadsheet somewhere around here...Lapushka (or anyone else) do you remember where? It lets you put in your measurements by dates and calculates where you will be. Over time it can calculate an average growth rate. Like I grow an inch a month in the heat of summer, but only half an inch over the colder months. So over the year it gives you an average. You can also put in your mile marker measurements and it can tell you based on average growth when you will hit it. I'll try to find it...

If you find it, let us know. I need to track my growth better.

pili
December 19th, 2016, 08:14 PM
If you find it, let us know. I need to track my growth better.

Found it. I added it to my original post.

raemarthe
December 19th, 2016, 08:31 PM
I want to try to join this challenge! If I don't cut until after June 2017 it will be 10 months since my last trim.

Sterlyn
December 19th, 2016, 08:43 PM
I'm in for this, 6 months should be good for me to decide if my ends need trimmed.

If I get my normal growth and my ends stay decent with minimal or no trims, I should be closing in on BSL again by this time next year.

Adavidal
December 20th, 2016, 05:06 AM

Here it is! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=36275

Awesome I'll definitely use that!

LongCurlyTress
December 20th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Actually, it is very simple to just track your measurements using the chair seat method. Just sit on a hard chair and hold a hard ruler against the chair seat and mark where your hemline is and note how many inches? it is to the chairseat. That is your measurement to classic length. Then my hair grows on average 6 inches a year...so.. that will let you know how long it will take you to reach classic. Other bodymarkers, just average one half inch a month to reach that next measurement. I was doing this for awhile, until I had alot of breakage recently, and had to do a big trim. Now all those measurements are just discouraging....since I have to regrow those 5 inches first...:( This chart seems interesting, but it does not allow for breakage, trims and problems-setbacks along the way that some encounter...such as I did. :(

elisavictoria
December 21st, 2016, 04:08 AM
I'm going to be part of it as well! :bottomsup: No trimming, but I'm going to get a lot of lowlights so my roots won't be that noticeable. Want to slowly go back to my natural dark blonde hair color.

Akville
December 21st, 2016, 08:42 AM
I think I will hop in here to..
I was for no trimming 2015, 2016, and I can definitely make a half year more..

Akville
December 21st, 2016, 08:45 AM
and a question.. am I aloud to trim a bit like 31 of december is this still counts like no trimming 2016?

LongCurlyTress
December 21st, 2016, 09:10 AM
and a question.. am I aloud to trim a bit like 31 of december is this still counts like no trimming 2016?

I think you will be safe with a trim in December. Afterall, it is before 2017 begins! :)

lapushka
December 21st, 2016, 03:10 PM

The trim date is January 1st to comply with both 2016 & 2017; HTH! It's a new "calendar year" every year, and it is from the 1st to the 1st. :)

lapushka
December 21st, 2016, 03:12 PM
I think you will be safe with a trim in December. Afterall, it is before 2017 begins! :)

Nope that's not correct. Not if she wants to comply with 2016 as well!

Aunty Miki
December 21st, 2016, 03:33 PM
I'm in. Just wacked off 1" from all the ends last month. Started a CWC and side braid regimen today, so I think it'll hold its own for another year before I take another inch off.

Aunty Miki
December 21st, 2016, 03:35 PM
I'm at WL, by the way.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 21st, 2016, 03:35 PM
I think I'll join here and see how I go:) I'll do a micro trim on the 1st of January to set myself up for 2017 :)

SammiV
December 21st, 2016, 04:48 PM
I'll try for the whole year actually, as it's been since April 2015 since any cutting was done on my hair. I don't get split ends any more, and my hair is healthy, so I don't see any reason to trim it...maybe later on to even it up, as I notice one side does grow faster than the other.

jlau1827
December 21st, 2016, 05:52 PM
I'm going to join! My hair is in limbo, hovering just past CBL and I'm desperate to hit APL by mid 2017. My last trim was late September 2016 so fingers crossed I'll hit my goal :)

You guys need to keep me accountable! I have no self-control when it comes to cutting my hair :(

Acid
December 21st, 2016, 07:26 PM
im going to jump on this, i really want TBL from my current hip by christmas 2017 so ill be doing the entire year with just s&ding any splits :D any extra length past tailbone i get will get lopped off to get help towards getting rid of that thinner 4 inches at my ends

LongCurlyTress
December 22nd, 2016, 11:16 AM
I am going to try to do this for the first half of 2017! Good luck everyone!!

Hi Saralabyrinth! :eyebrows:

bparnell75
December 22nd, 2016, 12:03 PM
Ok I'm in. I have fairy tale eds that are tailbone length. I will micro trim it before Jan. then have a go.

BoopBoop1
December 22nd, 2016, 12:12 PM
I'm in as well :D I really want to get to hip length but I keep trimming!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 22nd, 2016, 12:38 PM
I am going to try to do this for the first half of 2017! Good luck everyone!!

Hi Saralabyrinth! :eyebrows:

Hiya, LCT! :bluebiggr

Fericera
December 22nd, 2016, 05:26 PM
I'm in! I failed out last year, but I think I can make it through 2017. I just hit waist (need to take a more recent progress/starting the year picture) and am hoping to start closing in on hip by 2018 if I'm lucky. I haven't been on in a long time but it's fun to be back and I hope to be more active. :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 22nd, 2016, 05:55 PM
I think I might need to drop out of this one too.. ugh. Im realizing my L shaped ends and my taper/uneven hemline will make it impossible to go without 1/4" off each month. I am so sad... I have always wanted to try these no trim challenges but I do not think I can. :(

NimbleNut
December 27th, 2016, 09:50 AM
For those of you that have done this before, did you find it was easier to start fresh off a trim? Part of me wants to just leave my hair as is (last trim was in October) but part of me thinks I'll wish I had trimmed it a few months from now. The ends I can see don't seem too bad.

emptyque
December 27th, 2016, 10:02 AM
I'm joining this thread. I've gone over a year without trimming before, but I'd prefer to see what my condition looks like in 6 months. My last hair cut, back in October, left me with weird layers that stick out on bad hair days. Hoping for APL by the end of the year.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 27th, 2016, 02:46 PM
I'm joining this thread. I've gone over a year without trimming before, but I'd prefer to see what my condition looks like in 6 months. My last hair cut, back in October, left me with weird layers that stick out on bad hair days. Hoping for APL by the end of the year.

Personally, I would prefer to do this fresh after a trim, even just a tiny one. It makes me feel that I can go longer without needing another trim.

Bea18
December 31st, 2016, 12:55 PM
To start this I had to trim my hair a little bit, now it's at 61cm (24"), I hope to get at least three more inches with this challenge, maybe more.

Happy new year, and I wish we all to archive our hair goals this year :)

Sarahlabyrinth
December 31st, 2016, 02:03 PM
Ok, I'm in - I just did a small trim, am sitting on a solid 46" and ready to grow solidly until the end of June:D I also did a deep treatment yesterday (SMT with added mayonnaise and almond oil) and now my hair feels so silky!

Happy growing everyone, and Happy New Year to you all :joy:

Ophidian
December 31st, 2016, 03:55 PM
I'm in! I'm a bit below shoulder now after no trims since April and figure I'll keep going.

butterfly_dream
January 1st, 2017, 07:08 AM
I am in, ladies! I was stuck at FTL since July due to frequent trims. Now my hemline is pretty decent and I want to try “no trimming route” for next six months.
I determined to reach mid-thigh by June.
Happy New Year and happy growing to everyone. :bottomsup:

Michetta
January 1st, 2017, 08:11 AM
I'm in! Haven't had a cut since May so I'll try for a year.

Decoy24601
January 1st, 2017, 09:02 AM
I'm going to try this challenge. I think my ends are good enough right now to where they won't feel awful again in 3-4 months. If they do end up becoming unbearable though, I'll have to end the challenge for myself.

I think I should be able to do it though :).

Vivalagina
January 1st, 2017, 11:11 AM
I'm in. Was planning on not trimming until after baby comes in June so this works out nicely.

TatsuOni
January 2nd, 2017, 02:10 AM
I'm in. I trimmed two cm yesterday (on january the first).

https://cdn2.cdnme.se/1263465/9-3/1_586a17a2ddf2b3563f3baced.jpg
Starting lenght 85 cm.

lapushka
January 3rd, 2017, 03:48 PM
Welcome to the thread, everyone! :D

dvep
January 3rd, 2017, 04:44 PM
(First post!)

I'm joining! I can't commit to a year of no trimming since I really want my hair to be long AND healthy, but I'm learning that I probably don't need to trim as much as I thought I did, plus I'm trying to even out my beeline. I will keep up with weekly hot oil treatments which should help keep everything soft and happy. I just want HL PDQ. >:)

dvep
January 3rd, 2017, 05:00 PM
(First post!)

I'm joining! I can't commit to a year of no trimming since I really want my hair to be long AND healthy, but I'm learning that I probably don't need to trim as much as I thought I did, plus I'm trying to even out my beeline. I will keep up with weekly hot oil treatments which should help keep everything soft and happy. I just want HL PDQ. >:)

Oh boy, my phone likes to autocorrect..."beeline" is "hemline" obviously and I meant HBL. I'm not seeing an edit post option since I'm a total newbie.

Mrstran
January 3rd, 2017, 05:34 PM
I'm so here :D and glad the S&D can continue. Those crazy splits!

I did my own very first trim on Dec 26th. I took only about 1/8 of an inch. Tiny bit.

TatsuOni
January 4th, 2017, 02:04 AM
I'd love to see some pictures of your starting length and pictures of result at the end of the challenge people! :popcorn:

Sarahlabyrinth
January 4th, 2017, 02:41 AM
Ok, here's my starting length of 46":

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF0457.jpg

TatsuOni
January 4th, 2017, 02:54 AM
Ok, here's my starting length of 46":

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF0457.jpg

I can't wait to see where your lovely hair will be in six months! :)

Sarahlabyrinth
January 4th, 2017, 02:55 AM
Hopefully it will be better than now, am not too happy with it at the moment. :(

TatsuOni
January 4th, 2017, 02:56 AM
Hopefully it will be better than now, am not too happy with it at the moment. :(

What are you unhappy about? :(

Sarahlabyrinth
January 4th, 2017, 03:07 AM
My usual complaint of thin ends, pretty much. I guess they will stay there until I get the nerve to cut them off. I am gradually losing them, one small trim at a time :rolleyes:
I guess they are protecting my new, thicker growth coming through though and I try to think of that as a good thing. You know how it is, sometimes you just.don't. like. your. hair.

Here's a photo I took tonight, the hair is sitting better but bad lighting....

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF0911.jpg

TatsuOni
January 4th, 2017, 03:13 AM
My usual complaint of thin ends, pretty much. I guess they will stay there until I get the nerve to cut them off. I am gradually losing them, one small trim at a time :rolleyes:
I guess they are protecting my new, thicker growth coming through though and I try to think of that as a good thing. You know how it is, sometimes you just.don't. like. your. hair.

I don't think that youre ends look that thin, but it's always hard to tell from a photo and the important thing is that you end up happy with it :)

I sometimes don't like my hair 'cause it refuses to stay in any updo and tangles while escaping :rolleyes: At least it get's a bit easier the longer it gets.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 4th, 2017, 03:15 AM
I don't think that youre ends look that thin, but it's always hard to tell from a photo and the important thing is that you end up happy with it :)

I sometimes don't like my hair 'cause it refuses to stay in any updo and tangles while escaping :rolleyes: At least it get's a bit easier the longer it gets.

Yep - we all have something we aren't happy about. Time to put it up and forget about it when that happens :)

TatsuOni
January 4th, 2017, 03:17 AM
Yep - we all have something we aren't happy about. Time to put it up and forget about it when that happens :)

Yes. Let's forget about it for six months now :laugh:

Sarahlabyrinth
January 4th, 2017, 03:18 AM
Ok, lets! :bounce:

lapushka
January 4th, 2017, 01:43 PM

I think the boar-bristle brushing might have something to do with it. I have F hair, and for me, it caused "friction" on the hair, so much so that I suffered breakage from it even at shorter lengths. When I switched to the TT or the wooden bristle brush (at first), it got much better (with time, because it all had to regrow). This was in my 20s. I ditched the BBB a long time ago. Just FYI; take it for what it is. :flower:

Sarahlabyrinth
January 4th, 2017, 03:29 PM
I think the boar-bristle brushing might have something to do with it. I have F hair, and for me, it caused "friction" on the hair, so much so that I suffered breakage from it even at shorter lengths. When I switched to the TT or the wooden bristle brush (at first), it got much better (with time, because it all had to regrow). This was in my 20s. I ditched the BBB a long time ago. Just FYI; take it for what it is. :flower:

Perhaps, though I virtually never use it, and then only ever so lightly, and never find any broken hairs in the brush, just an occasional shed hair. Still, you never know :) I always figured my thin ends were from my shed in 2013, because before then I never had any trouble with my ends at all. Thanks for the suggestion :)

LaísB
January 5th, 2017, 04:31 AM
It is a great thing that I joined this thread because I am already getting the itch to cut bangs (again!), and I know that I have to think about them for a long time first because last time I cut bangs on impulse I regreted them like two days after... If by the end of June I still want them than it's fine, I may do it, but not now. I really need to think about my haircuts, so it's a great thing that I joined a no trim challenge, it will help mebe less impulsive about cuts...

lapushka
January 5th, 2017, 04:59 AM
It is a great thing that I joined this thread because I am already getting the itch to cut bangs (again!), and I know that I have to think about them for a long time first because last time I cut bangs on impulse I regreted them like two days after... If by the end of June I still want them than it's fine, I may do it, but not now. I really need to think about my haircuts, so it's a great thing that I joined a no trim challenge, it will help mebe less impulsive about cuts...

You can maintain bangs, but cutting them in, and you're out of the challenge. Think on it big time, because if you regretted them before chances are you'll regret it now. Hang in there!

LaísB
January 5th, 2017, 06:11 AM
You can maintain bangs, but cutting them in, and you're out of the challenge. Think on it big time, because if you regretted them before chances are you'll regret it now. Hang in there!

I know that either way, cutting them or not, I will wait until the end of the challenge to do so, that way I will have plenty of time to think well about it.

Zindell
January 5th, 2017, 06:45 AM
I think I dare to go for six more months. I haven't trimmed my hair since June 2016, and there have been some growth but nothing impressing really. When I look at my ends they look quite nice. I can see them "thinning out" a little since some hairs grow faster than others, but I can't see any split ends really.

So yeah, I guess I'm in for another six months, even if I haven't trimmed to prepare for it. :)

So... second pic here will be my new before pic. (sorry for blurry pics, especially the second one)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/Zizywa/6.%20Fixad_zps4qeq9jzc.png http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/Zizywa/januari%202017%20efter%203_zpsirstal2z.png

TatsuOni
January 5th, 2017, 06:52 AM
I think I dare to go for six more months. I haven't trimmed my hair since June 2016, and there have been some growth but nothing impressing really. When I look at my ends they look quite nice. I can see them "thinning out" a little since some hairs grow faster than others, but I can't see any split ends really.

So yeah, I guess I'm in for another six months, even if I haven't trimmed to prepare for it. :)

So... second pic here will be my new before pic.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/Zizywa/6.%20Fixad_zps4qeq9jzc.png http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/Zizywa/januari%202017%20efter%203_zpsirstal2z.png

You still have a nice and thick hemline :) It will be fun to see how long it is in another six months :)

ipickee
January 5th, 2017, 07:06 AM
I know that either way, cutting them or not, I will wait until the end of the challenge to do so, that way I will have plenty of time to think well about it.

Bangs look great on others, but I can think of only one time in my 30+ years that I've cut them and NOT regretted it....

ElisabethS
January 5th, 2017, 12:26 PM
why not. made it all last year getting from chin length to apl and hopefully be at bsl by my birthday in june!

JillRenee
January 5th, 2017, 12:57 PM
I'm joining! My longest hairs are almost classic length. I had been thinking of trimming back for a thicker, blunt hemline, but you all talked me out of it. There's a good chance I will reach classic by June, I really hope so! Maybe I will trim, or else keep going.

JillRenee
January 5th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Oops, what I meant to say is maybe I will trim in June after the challenge is over, and maintain at classic.

hamilton
January 5th, 2017, 04:47 PM
I'm going to commit to 6 months of this to gain some length while getting a more efficient routine down without being tempted to cut back at least until July.

-ttebayo
January 5th, 2017, 05:42 PM
I'd like to join, although it's already been several months since my last trim and I'm probably in need of one. Currently just a bit past BSL. Just gonna have to keep nurturing my damaged ends and see how long I can last for.

TatsuOni
January 6th, 2017, 03:58 AM
Any more starting pictures? :popcorn:

NimbleNut
January 6th, 2017, 06:32 PM
My starting photo. My current length is about 18".

https://c5.staticflickr.com/1/537/31910709732_4a439d39cb_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/QBQJfy)January 2017 (https://flic.kr/p/QBQJfy)

wispe
January 6th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Length shot. I actually trimmed Dec 18 but haven't gotten a proper length photo until today. I'm currently measuring... 75.5 cm, but I prefer to go by body marker/milestones as I'm not great at getting consistent measurements. Oh well! Here I am at just waist (Jan 6th)

http://i.imgur.com/PsW7zVL.jpg?1

TatsuOni
January 7th, 2017, 03:16 AM
Nice to see your starting photos! It will be fun to se where you are in six months! :o

lapushka
January 7th, 2017, 03:42 AM
Starting photos are amazing to look back on. Good luck to everyone, and welcome to the new posters in this thread.

Angelica
January 7th, 2017, 04:28 AM
Starting photos are amazing to look back on. Good luck to everyone, and welcome to the new posters in this thread.

My last cut was 10th August 2016 - I had three inches cut off. My hair never grows very long anyway but I am hoping to regain those inches back and some more. So far, I don't see to have grown much at all. On the plus side though, the hair is pretty even because I did have a very good trim - the hairdresser was very good. I am hoping to last until next August at least without trimming.

lapushka
January 7th, 2017, 04:37 AM
My last cut was 10th August 2016 - I had three inches cut off. My hair never grows very long anyway but I am hoping to regain those inches back and some more. So far, I don't see to have grown much at all. On the plus side though, the hair is pretty even because I did have a very good trim - the hairdresser was very good. I am hoping to last until next August at least without trimming.

August to now is 4/5 months, normally that's about 2 inches worth of growth, sometimes you barely notice that, depending on what length you are. Hang in there, you can do it.

caprinequeen
January 8th, 2017, 03:40 PM
I am up for the challenge! I usually only do two or three trims a year, depending on how much outdoor time my hair gets (it's sensitive to dry, cold, and sun).

Saproxylic
January 9th, 2017, 08:31 AM
I think I'm deffinately in, mostly because I just can't be bothered to actually go and get my hair trimmed. There is this super sweet stylist I go to when I want to trim, but his services ain't cheap, and I consider it quite a treat, so I trim less than yearly now, when my hair is all virgin, the last trim was August or September, so I think I'm good to go till fall 2017 :D

LaísB
January 9th, 2017, 08:56 AM
The last time I had a trim was last October, so by the end of this challenge I will be 9 months without trims. I hope I can last that long...

Alissalocks
January 9th, 2017, 07:29 PM
I think I'll join the challenge! I keep thinking I should micro trim regularly but length is what I want. My last trim at a salon was Jun 16, and I did some micro trimming in Dec 16, so I'm in!

Keep repeating, "Fairy tale ends, fairy tale ends. Not a weak hemline, it's just fairy tale ends. And taper. Lots of taper."

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 9th, 2017, 08:02 PM
Ok -- so before I was uneasy and joined and left because of my L shaped ends.
I trimmed off 1/2" when the year first started (I think it was probably a few days after the time limit but still, I want to join!)

I think I can do it... I see a few split ends still even after that larger trim. Would it be better to join and buy a small pair of hair shears I can carry with me in my purse? Since we are allowed to S&D still? I see splits when I'm not at home and have my shears at hand which makes the damage so much easier to lose later. I don't S&D regularly at all, maybe this 6 months with 0 trims would be benefiting.

dvep
January 9th, 2017, 09:59 PM
Ok -- so before I was uneasy and joined and left because of my L shaped ends.
I trimmed off 1/2" when the year first started (I think it was probably a few days after the time limit but still, I want to join!)

I think I can do it... I see a few split ends still even after that larger trim. Would it be better to join and buy a small pair of hair shears I can carry with me in my purse? Since we are allowed to S&D still? I see splits when I'm not at home and have my shears at hand which makes the damage so much easier to lose later. I don't S&D regularly at all, maybe this 6 months with 0 trims would be benefiting.

I split really easily and am guilty of trimming all the time, inhibiting my growing process. I don't see how your idea would hurt! Especially if it keeps you from trimming.

likelikepenny
January 10th, 2017, 06:22 AM
Hi everyone, do you think S&D once a week is too often?

lapushka
January 10th, 2017, 06:44 AM
Hi everyone, do you think S&D once a week is too often?

Might be, yes. I'd go every 2 weeks, if your hair is otherwise healthy. If it's damaged in any way, once every week sounds fine.

butterfly_dream
January 10th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Here is mine starting length shot. 46”.
Not the best photo ever, but I have a terrible flu and I'm not able to take a better one at the moment.

http://i67.tinypic.com/n13zpe.jpg

chomsky
January 10th, 2017, 11:12 AM
Now that I'm actively not trimming my hair, I'm itching to trim, haha.

raemarthe
January 10th, 2017, 11:44 AM
Gorgeous hair, butterfly_dream!

Bluecardigan
January 10th, 2017, 12:32 PM
I want to join! My last haircut was in october 2016, and I hope I can make it until june before cutting it again. :)

likelikepenny
January 10th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Might be, yes. I'd go every 2 weeks, if your hair is otherwise healthy. If it's damaged in any way, once every week sounds fine.

I have virgin hair and use a catnip rinse every other day. I suppose I should try to stretch to bi-weekly. Thanks lapushka.

butterfly_dream
January 10th, 2017, 01:00 PM
Gorgeous hair, butterfly_dream!

Thank you! You made my day. :o
The hair on the sides of my head grows slower and I really hate the rate tails I have there.
Well, not the rate tails…these are fairy tale ends… ;)

Alissalocks
January 10th, 2017, 03:28 PM
butterfly_dream thank you for posting your pic! I take SO much inspiration from seeing others with my hair type with super long growth! It's a reminder that it's not impossible, even for 1a/F folks. :thud:

likelikepenny
January 10th, 2017, 05:33 PM
I didn't think I would feel the urge to trim so early on, but now that the feeling of fresh cut ends are gone, I'm going nuts. I know it's irrational but now that my ends are fairytaled again I fear they are breaking off, even though I know that is not the case.

TatsuOni
January 11th, 2017, 01:36 AM
Here is mine starting length shot. 46”.
Not the best photo ever, but I have a terrible flu and I'm not able to take a better one at the moment.

http://i67.tinypic.com/n13zpe.jpg

Beuatiful hair! :) Thanks for sharing your picture :)

Sarahlabyrinth
January 11th, 2017, 01:46 AM
Such gorgeous hair, butterfly_dream! :thud:

lapushka
January 11th, 2017, 06:53 AM
I didn't think I would feel the urge to trim so early on, but now that the feeling of fresh cut ends are gone, I'm going nuts. I know it's irrational but now that my ends are fairytaled again I fear they are breaking off, even though I know that is not the case.

It's your mind playing tricks on you, it's just the first few weeks; it can't be that bad *already*. There's plenty more weeks ahead! ;)

butterfly_dream
January 11th, 2017, 08:11 AM
Thank you Alissalocks, TatsuOni, Sarahlabyrinth!
I'm looking forward to see everyone's progress in the next months! We can do it! :eyebrows:

likelikepenny
January 11th, 2017, 11:21 AM
It's your mind playing tricks on you, it's just the first few weeks; it can't be that bad *already*. There's plenty more weeks ahead! ;)

I'm just trying to focus on all the length I'll retain at the end of these six months.

TatsuOni
January 11th, 2017, 12:26 PM
I'm just trying to focus on all the length I'll retain at the end of these six months.

You should join the "put it up and forget about for six months club" :meditate:

Jo March
January 11th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Totally on board with no trimming til July! I probably won't trim at all this year, but I might need an end dusting by July. Growing hair out from a shoulder-length mistake! :(

likelikepenny
January 11th, 2017, 12:53 PM
You should join the "put it up and forget about for six months club" :meditate:

Haha, I definitely need to join this club. It get's frustrating at times doing the same thing. I can't wait until my hair is long enough for a hair stick bun. Probably around classic which is so far away.

lapushka
January 11th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Haha, I definitely need to join this club. It get's frustrating at times doing the same thing. I can't wait until my hair is long enough for a hair stick bun. Probably around classic which is so far away.

You'll get there one day, if you persist! It can be done. For sure! :)

Decoy24601
January 11th, 2017, 01:59 PM
I was kinda iffy on this challenge for a while, but now that I have my HG routine and the health/condition of my hair under control, I'm definitely doing this challenge :). I might decide to dust my ends at the end of this challenge, depending on how my hair is at the end. If my ends don't need dusting, I'll just continue the challenge into the rest of the year.

lapushka
January 11th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Sounds like a plan, Decoy! :D

butterflybutton
January 11th, 2017, 04:31 PM
I'm going to try for the whole year with no trims, but I'll play it safe and just start with six months first.

I did far too many trims in the second half of last year. the ends are still very thin from the pixie layers, but I guess the thinness isn't as long. Thankfully I don't have any split ends at the moment, so I don't have to worry about that.

I realised if I hadn't done all those trims last year I'd be at stretched hip by now, that means I cut off seven months of growth:doh:

VersLaLumière
January 12th, 2017, 02:26 AM
Well, I was *brand* new to the forum and had trimmed my hair 1/2 in. on the 5th. I came across this thread just after that! So I don't technically qualify. However I'm going for my own six month no-trim challenge which means I can't trim until July 5th. Can I still post progress in here, or is there another recommended thread?

likelikepenny
January 12th, 2017, 06:46 AM
Well, I was *brand* new to the forum and had trimmed my hair 1/2 in. on the 5th. I came across this thread just after that! So I don't technically qualify. However I'm going for my own six month no-trim challenge which means I can't trim until July 5th. Can I still post progress in here, or is there another recommended thread?

You can try the no trim club. As for posting here, you'd have to ask lapushka.

StartingAt35
January 18th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Hello, since my ends are now healthy and even I really need to keep my hands away from the scissor. I figure this is the thread for that :) So no trims until at least July it is!

Persiangirl01
January 18th, 2017, 08:28 AM
I'm also joining :) I will trim about 5cm or so at the end of this challenge. I am too impatient for microtrims.

lapushka
January 18th, 2017, 08:34 AM

Yes, the no-trimming club would be better. This really *is* a full calendar year - no exceptions! Sorry. I don't want to be mean but I have to stick to my own rules. I mean...
Here's the link to the club:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132

You can still join the second half of the year:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=140775

Groovy Granny
January 28th, 2017, 10:39 PM
Back from a break.....just spotted this thread....and I am in :thumbsup:

My last trim was mid November and this was actually my plan to reach my goal @ hip (2nd time).

Hide those scissors :cheer:

TatsuOni
January 29th, 2017, 02:40 AM

My last trim was mid November and this was actually my plan to reach my goal @ hip (2nd time).

Welcome back! :D

Groovy Granny
January 29th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Welcome back! :D

Thank you :flowers:

Alissalocks
January 29th, 2017, 09:15 AM

Hide those scissors :cheer:Good to see you again, Groovy Granny! I'm dedicated more than ever now. I had considered microtrims as part of my 2017 goals, but nothing until July 4th for me, now that my hubby and I are also doing a no trim/hair growth race (his beard, my scalp). :)

I'm also hoping for hip (maybe in about a year?), but excited to hit waist later this year! :cheer:

Groovy Granny
January 29th, 2017, 09:29 AM
Good to see you again, Groovy Granny! I'm dedicated more than ever now. I had considered microtrims as part of my 2017 goals, but nothing until July 4th for me, now that my hubby and I are also doing a no trim/hair growth race (his beard, my scalp). :)

I'm also hoping for hip (maybe in about a year?), but excited to hit waist later this year! :cheer:
Thank you (((Hugs)))
It is good to be back; can't stay away lol

I saw your new color...very pretty :thumbsup:

Hopefully you post action pics of you and hubby...that should be interesting :popcorn:

pili
January 30th, 2017, 08:25 AM

Yay! You're back!

Groovy Granny
January 30th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Yay! You're back!

Yep...can't stay away; LHC is in my blood :o

*Wednesday*
February 1st, 2017, 04:39 PM
Hi there,
I'm new to the LHC community. This is my first time posting. I am going to join in and commit. The last time I trimmed was towards the end of November, 2016.

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 1st, 2017, 05:31 PM
Holding on tightly!!!

Stay away scissors stay away.

Kiiruna
February 1st, 2017, 06:26 PM
First month down, five more to go ;) We can do this!

likelikepenny
February 1st, 2017, 07:14 PM
I caved and trimmed, however I'm glad I did. It got to the point where I was having more breakage and losing more length by not trimming than just trimming. Maybe when my hair gets a little bit longer and I'm able to put it up more effectively, I'll revisit a no trimming thread, but for now I'll be moving onto the microtrimming/maintaining thread.

Groovy Granny
February 1st, 2017, 09:24 PM
Hi there,
I'm new to the LHC community. This is my first time posting. I am going to join in and commit. The last time I trimmed was towards the end of November, 2016.
Welcome to the forum ~ happy growing :cheer:

Holding on tightly!!!

Stay away scissors stay away.
Hide 'em good :p

First month down, five more to go ;) We can do this!:agree: :thumbsup:

I caved and trimmed, however I'm glad I did. It got to the point where I was having more breakage and losing more length by not trimming than just trimming. Maybe when my hair gets a little bit longer and I'm able to put it up more effectively, I'll revisit a no trimming thread, but for now I'll be moving onto the microtrimming/maintaining thread.

Ya got to do what ya got to do :wink:

I haven't had any inclinations to even dust, never mind trim :hmm:
Yet again,my hemline looks and feels great since the last dusting, and I have no racers.

GROW ~ GROW ~ GROW :cheer:

wispe
February 1st, 2017, 09:56 PM
Checking in, still on track with no trims. My ends are still happy, they feel good. I am hoping I'll still feel fine about them by the end of this challenge so I can hop straight into the 2nd half of the year without even a microtrim. I'm back to the length I was before my December trim and it's wonderful.

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 1st, 2017, 10:20 PM
I just keep looking at my ends and feeling unhappy.

Alissalocks
February 1st, 2017, 10:48 PM
I just keep looking at my ends and feeling unhappy. Just stop looking! Lol I get bugged by mine too so I make myself stop looking. We can tidy up in a few months when we're nice and long!!!!

Welcome *Wednesday* and happy growing!

dvep
February 1st, 2017, 11:20 PM
I made it to February! So far I haven't noticed any more damage. Only my front is really icky but I've been doing my best to take care of everything better since joining LHC. I'm optimistic that I can make it to June!

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 2nd, 2017, 12:09 AM
Just stop looking! Lol I get bugged by mine too so I make myself stop looking. We can tidy up in a few months when we're nice and long!!!!

Welcome *Wednesday* and happy growing!

*hyperventilating intensifies*

I am learning that I do not like braids, not because they hurt my hair but because they allow me to see my ends and I tried braids the last few days so I think thats why I have this INTENSE urge to look at them and pick at them and touch them.
So up in a bun it goes where I cannot see the ends anymore lol

pili
February 2nd, 2017, 08:14 AM
*hyperventilating intensifies*

I am learning that I do not like braids, not because they hurt my hair but because they allow me to see my ends and I tried braids the last few days so I think thats why I have this INTENSE urge to look at them and pick at them and touch them.
So up in a bun it goes where I cannot see the ends anymore lol
You may have a point. I can handle braids where the end is tucked away, but if I see the tassel, I keep touching it and worrying about the ends of my hair and seeing how dry they are.

lapushka
February 2nd, 2017, 08:33 AM
Hi there,

Welcome to LHC & this thread. I trimmed last November too, towards the end of the month. Which makes it about an inch in progress so far. :D

Eilidh Wolfbane
February 2nd, 2017, 08:41 AM
I'm in my last trim was october had a few sd missions but so far ends have been ok, mainly had hair in buns or plaits for majority of the time

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 2nd, 2017, 02:01 PM
You may have a point. I can handle braids where the end is tucked away, but if I see the tassel, I keep touching it and worrying about the ends of my hair and seeing how dry they are.

I also have a habit of tugging at my braid too.

*Wednesday*
February 2nd, 2017, 04:23 PM
Welcome to the forum ~ happy growing :cheer:

Thank you :D

Alissalocks
February 2nd, 2017, 11:51 PM
I'm in my last trim was october had a few sd missions but so far ends have been ok, mainly had hair in buns or plaits for majority of the time
Same! Braids have actually been my friend of late. Buns, not so much though. But sometimes.

I tug and play or de tangle my ends, most especially in a tassel, and have to make myself stop. Or oil it, or something, but leave it alone. Gah! Lol

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 3rd, 2017, 12:08 AM
Same! Braids have actually been my friend of late. Buns, not so much though. But sometimes.

I tug and play or de tangle my ends, most especially in a tassel, and have to make myself stop. Or oil it, or something, but leave it alone. Gah! Lol

See i cant stop myself so i just bun it. I get headaches but if i put it in a braid i cant stop thinking about it because it rubs against my neck...

rina06
February 3rd, 2017, 08:45 AM
I had a massive S&D session today where I realised a bunch of splits and L shaped bends with white dots hanging out the back. Snipping it all away took about an hour :disgust:
I'm growing out some processed hair and there is about 5 inches of it left so I'll carry on with this fortnightly until June. Aside from those ends my hair is in good condition.
Goal: my hair will be almost at the length I have now and virgin after the almighty cut in June.

This is nuts :laugh:

*Wednesday*
February 3rd, 2017, 05:35 PM
Welcome to LHC & this thread. I trimmed last November too, towards the end of the month. Which makes it about an inch in progress so far. :D

Thank you for welcoming me. I'm not even cutting my bangs. :) See how this goes, I'll do the second half as well. I like the challenge, it keeps it fun.

lapushka
February 4th, 2017, 04:41 AM
Thank you for welcoming me. I'm not even cutting my bangs. :) See how this goes, I'll do the second half as well. I like the challenge, it keeps it fun.

It certainly keeps things interesting, that's for sure! :D

irishsapphire
February 7th, 2017, 09:11 PM
I honestly forget all about trimming or anything scissor related until I'm looking at the forums, then I think I should at least do a cursory S&D..... It never gets done.

brookse
February 8th, 2017, 06:10 AM
I'm going to join in! My last trim was in early December, but in the past (read: a few years ago) I used to frequently go 6-12 months with no trim - so surely I can do it now in an attempt to grow it!

Jeleebaby
February 8th, 2017, 06:51 AM
I'm in. Started growing from pixie cut in October and last trim was December. Hoping not to hit the mullet stage too badly 😂

Groovy Granny
February 8th, 2017, 07:33 AM

I was looking back at my calendar and my last trim was mid OCTOBER (not November) :doh:
So 4 months of growing so far....and I can feel the difference on my back! :eyebrows:
It is creeping closer to Hip and I may hit it by the end of this challenge if there are no stalls :joy:

raemarthe
February 8th, 2017, 11:03 AM
I think that once this challenge is over, I will continue to grow until August because that will be a full year of no trims! Then I'll trim back to waist that I'll hopefully be well past at that point.

butterflybutton
February 9th, 2017, 12:12 AM
I'm going to try and do the whole year with no trims, I've got about twelve inches to go to reach curly waist, and I'm hoping to reach it within two years. So less trims equals faster to reaching goals

dvep
February 21st, 2017, 12:10 AM
Month 2...I'm definitely seeing progress but also BREAKAGE. My ends still look good, though (minus the front layers I'm trying to grow out), so I will RESIST those trimmers!

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 21st, 2017, 12:18 AM
Month 2...I'm definitely seeing progress but also BREAKAGE. My ends still look good, though (minus the front layers I'm trying to grow out), so I will RESIST those trimmers!

Same. I think I am doing really really well, but I cannot wait until June so I can trim because my ends are bothering me so much.
I am hoping I will see some growth because that would really motivate me to keep away the shears.

dvep
February 21st, 2017, 08:54 AM
Same. I think I am doing really really well, but I cannot wait until June so I can trim because my ends are bothering me so much.
I am hoping I will see some growth because that would really motivate me to keep away the shears.

Yeah, microtrimming is the way for me. This is the second time in growing my hair out, the first time I chopped it off because it was damaged from lack of care and from,never trimming. Now the pendulum has swung because I'd trim too much!

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 21st, 2017, 02:03 PM
Yeah, microtrimming is the way for me. This is the second time in growing my hair out, the first time I chopped it off because it was damaged from lack of care and from,never trimming. Now the pendulum has swung because I'd trim too much!

Hopefully 6 months isnt a big leap for me, I plan to trim 1/2-1" at the half year mark, I was trimming 1/4" every month and saw lots of growth.
But the last 2 months I have seen hardly any and it feels like I am stalling -- but i am also no longer monthly trimming.

So I guess I still need to figure out things. But after this first half, if I see no or very little growth I am going back to monthly trimming.

Longhairgoals
February 22nd, 2017, 08:12 AM
This is my first growing challenge! It has been so hard to resist cutting my hair! I over processed my hair last summer and now I have really dry ends. I s&d about once a week and deep condition twice a week. I'm hoping I can resist the urge to cut my hair before June I'm currently bs and hoping to get to waist

StartingAt35
February 22nd, 2017, 02:23 PM
I feel like my hairs longer, and I actually managed to measure 1 cm/month growth. But I suck at measuring my hair so it could be less or more...

lapushka
February 22nd, 2017, 03:02 PM
Welcome to the challenge! :flower:

rina06
February 23rd, 2017, 07:52 AM
Just realised my last haircut was in late June last year - so cutting it in June would make it another whole year without trimming!
I've been S&D-ing several times a week to the point where I'm excited to find splits ...fortunately they are fewer these days

Bea18
March 1st, 2017, 10:25 AM
Hi! I lasted two months in the challenge, but I really wanted see-through bangs and couldn't wait anymore. However i'll pride myself on the fact that I didn't took anything of the overall lenghts, just the bangs.

But still, I cut it. This challenge is great and made me really think before cutting it, but, uh, bye :)

lapushka
March 1st, 2017, 11:52 AM
Hi! I lasted two months in the challenge, but I really wanted see-through bangs and couldn't wait anymore. However i'll pride myself on the fact that I didn't took anything of the overall lenghts, just the bangs.

But still, I cut it. This challenge is great and made me really think before cutting it, but, uh, bye :)

LOL! Maybe join the second half. ;)

Reyesuela
March 1st, 2017, 12:54 PM
My remaining hair is in perfect condition. Since my hair is no longer losing density, why not? I last cut in Sept. or Oct, but my hair is literally perfect as far as damage goes, so until I start losing more density at the ends, I'm good.

Groovy Granny
March 1st, 2017, 02:27 PM
2 months in and still going strong with no urges to cut (hemline looks good) :wannabe:
I will start my full moon micro trims to maintain at Hip when the challenge ends in June :thumbsup:

wispe
March 1st, 2017, 03:08 PM
I'm feeling great about my ends lately so I'm not feeling any urge to trim either. So far so good (:

Bea18
March 1st, 2017, 04:28 PM
LOL! Maybe join the second half. ;)

I'll try it in the second half, I was sooo excited to keep up with it, but my wish for bangs again was too big to ignore ;)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 1st, 2017, 06:37 PM
I'm feeling happy with my ends and getting good growth too so I'm in no hurry to trim :)

MissMIndy
March 1st, 2017, 07:06 PM
Wow! I'm in! VERY new here & had no idea this "no trim" was a GOOD thing. My hair dresser daughter-in-law always picks on me for ONLY trimming my hair once a year. "It will grow faster if you trim it often" she say's...well..NOT for me! So i never trimmed (outside of bangs)... So much to learn here & so happy to become a part of this great knowledgeable group!

MissMIndy
March 1st, 2017, 07:11 PM
Your hair is BEAUTIFUL! I have a great desire to have healthy long hair like yours. My draw-backs are the natural curl that causes matting on nape of neck. I often braid to help but with the weight of hair, braids & pony tails cause serious headaches. Through this sight i am confident that i will learn how to care for all my locks & have it healthy. Your hair is just stunning. GREAT JOB!!!

Sarahlabyrinth
March 1st, 2017, 07:29 PM
Your hair is BEAUTIFUL! I have a great desire to have healthy long hair like yours. My draw-backs are the natural curl that causes matting on nape of neck. I often braid to help but with the weight of hair, braids & pony tails cause serious headaches. Through this sight i am confident that i will learn how to care for all my locks & have it healthy. Your hair is just stunning. GREAT JOB!!!

Not sure if you are talking to me but if you are then thanks :) You will grow great hair, I'm sure.

Akville
March 2nd, 2017, 02:01 AM
I dont think I can make it.. I have not trimmed for two years almost before this.. Ive got 1 cm growth in two moths witch is extremely little for me.. I think it has to do with crazy ends.. I think I have to ditch this no trim challenge.. I could try to do s d but it seems to much effort couse every single end is split.

What do you think guys? Otherwise I will be trimming of like 10 cm of in summer... so i guess there is no meaning to go on here?

darkmoon
March 2nd, 2017, 02:28 AM
I'll join :)
It seems like a good idea to start growing it again with a challenge like this.
I have been going a bit crazy with cutting my own hair over the last couple of months. I want to get longer layers, because the ones I have now don't really work for me. I need to put the shears away for a while, or else it will turn very short one day :p
I think my last trim was in January.

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a473/majaroer/DSC_0022_zpsydfowqv9.jpg (http://s1039.photobucket.com/user/majaroer/media/DSC_0022_zpsydfowqv9.jpg.html)

darkmoon
March 2nd, 2017, 02:31 AM
Wow I didn't realize the picture was that big. I'm new here :p

lapushka
March 2nd, 2017, 05:09 AM
Welcome to all the newbies! :)

butterflybutton
March 2nd, 2017, 05:39 AM
My ends are still nice and not split, but are very thin compared to the rest. I'm still motivated to no trims this year.

If I keep telling myself it will surely be true, hehe.

Alissalocks
March 2nd, 2017, 07:11 AM
I dont think I can make it.. I have not trimmed for two years almost before this.. Ive got 1 cm growth in two moths witch is extremely little for me.. I think it has to do with crazy ends.. I think I have to ditch this no trim challenge.. I could try to do s d but it seems to much effort couse every single end is split.

What do you think guys? Otherwise I will be trimming of like 10 cm of in summer... so i guess there is no meaning to go on here?
If the breakage and damage at the ends is making your hair unhealthy, then trim! Two years is a long time, and not everyone's hair responds well to no-trims (indefinitely). I had my last salon cut in June '16. I'm feeling really antsy too, *dying* to freshen up my ends but resisting. They look so tapered and wimpy, but I keep reminding myself, "One inch trim in July. I promise you, hair. One inch to tidy the hemline in just 4 more months."

It's called fairy tale ends, Alissa. And it's not split, so just breathe, leave the scissors in the desk, and let it be #MyMotto :meditate:

butterfly_dream
March 2nd, 2017, 07:54 AM
I have gained 1 inch since my last trim in December! YAY! :o

http://i64.tinypic.com/f1gq6u.jpg

TatsuOni
March 2nd, 2017, 08:19 AM

I think that you should trim :) If your hair is in bad shape and makes you unhappy, there's no point in following a challenge. There's always new challenges to join in the future :)

I'm doing fine by the way. As expected. I'm happy to be back at the same lenght as I was before my last trim :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 2nd, 2017, 03:03 PM
The urges to trim subsided in the last week but my ends still feel and look raggety.

lapushka
March 2nd, 2017, 04:00 PM

That all depends. Are your ends in good shape, or is more than half of it damage (splits, or white dots)? If so, I'd trim a little.

*Wednesday*
March 2nd, 2017, 06:21 PM
I'm babying my hair. No heat even though I bought a hot curlers for occasional use. I'm only doing wet sets. I want to make it to no trims 2nd half. I am very motivated.

darkmoon
March 3rd, 2017, 03:34 AM
Welcome to all the newbies! :)

Thank you :)

Akville
March 3rd, 2017, 04:16 AM
thanks .. I think I will trim it...

lapushka
March 3rd, 2017, 05:32 AM
thanks .. I think I will trim it...

Go slow though, and maybe you don't have to cut too much off. Health before length, that's my motto (didn't used to be, but it is now)! Keep us posted. :flower:

dvep
March 3rd, 2017, 09:19 AM
I'm slightly debating if I should trim, too. My hair is just probe to damage and I don't know why, if there's something I'm doing wrong or if that's just how it is. I still feel like I could hold out, but I don't want to make it so I also have to chop a lot. My hair may also be tapering (I'll find out when I do my March photo in s few minutes), and I have no idea how to trim tapered hair. Ideally I would wait for blunt ends but I don't know if that's possible on me yet.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 3rd, 2017, 01:12 PM
My hair just feels like velcro and clarifying and chelating arent fixing it. Its prone to tangle and nothing detangles it gently. Once I have detangled, it somehow tangles upon itself again. I have no idea what else to do, but I dont want to break the 6 month goal... The ACV isnt working, oil isnt working (sort of, its back and fourth right now) and SMT and chelating or clarifying does not fix it either. So far keeping it up and away is the only thing that helps but the tangles are starting to get to me and I am itching for a trim because I just hate this feeling.

lapushka
March 3rd, 2017, 02:39 PM
My hair just feels like velcro and clarifying and chelating arent fixing it. Its prone to tangle and nothing detangles it gently. Once I have detangled, it somehow tangles upon itself again. I have no idea what else to do, but I dont want to break the 6 month goal... The ACV isnt working, oil isnt working (sort of, its back and fourth right now) and SMT and chelating or clarifying does not fix it either. So far keeping it up and away is the only thing that helps but the tangles are starting to get to me and I am itching for a trim because I just hate this feeling.

Maybe clarify without ACV, and see what that does. Do you always use ACV? Maybe it's just... too much, you know? And use a good thick, heavy conditioner on the lengths, if you can. Shorter hair is normally not going to get rid of tangles. It will tangle less when shorter, but you'll have the same problem when growing longer later - again.

I found that with added length, I needed silicones, and thicker more moisturizing conditioners to combat the tangles.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 3rd, 2017, 05:18 PM
Maybe clarify without ACV, and see what that does. Do you always use ACV? Maybe it's just... too much, you know? And use a good thick, heavy conditioner on the lengths, if you can. Shorter hair is normally not going to get rid of tangles. It will tangle less when shorter, but you'll have the same problem when growing longer later - again.

I found that with added length, I needed silicones, and thicker more moisturizing conditioners to combat the tangles.

If I dont ACV the tangles are actually even worse. At first it fixed it, but now its just meh. Not a total improvement like it was before, but the days I go completely without ACV the tangles are worse and there are certain areas (like my crown) that almost mat on itself. I have to finger detangle specific areas. My hair feels ok, my hair looks nice (no frizz or breakage) but the tangles are so bad.

I have been considering going back to cones though and that might be it, I cant remember how my hair felt with them since I havent used them much in years. But I have soooo many shampoo bars and natural stuff that I need to use ... dont want to switch just yet until I have used more stuff up.

wispe
March 3rd, 2017, 05:32 PM
If I dont ACV the tangles are actually even worse. At first it fixed it, but now its just meh. Not a total improvement like it was before, but the days I go completely without ACV the tangles are worse and there are certain areas (like my crown) that almost mat on itself. I have to finger detangle specific areas. My hair feels ok, my hair looks nice (no frizz or breakage) but the tangles are so bad.

I have been considering going back to cones though and that might be it, I cant remember how my hair felt with them since I havent used them much in years. But I have soooo many shampoo bars and natural stuff that I need to use ... dont want to switch just yet until I have used more stuff up.

You could try adding just a coney serum while you use up your other products? I recently grabbed the garnier sleek n shine serum everybody was raving about on the slip product recommendations thread and have really been liking it. I don't use any other cones in my routine and my shampoo is also sulfate free/gentle and usually diluted, and so far it hasn't built up (I do ACV rinse, too). I was actually really surprised by how much of a difference it made in how many tangles I got and how much easier it was to unravel the tangles I did get.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 3rd, 2017, 07:15 PM
You could try adding just a coney serum while you use up your other products? I recently grabbed the garnier sleek n shine serum everybody was raving about on the slip product recommendations thread and have really been liking it. I don't use any other cones in my routine and my shampoo is also sulfate free/gentle and usually diluted, and so far it hasn't built up (I do ACV rinse, too). I was actually really surprised by how much of a difference it made in how many tangles I got and how much easier it was to unravel the tangles I did get.

You think that would work? TBH I dont want to buy more conditioner and then have cones not work either. I use to use cone serums years ago but they made my hair crunchy, but that was before I clarified and treated my hair nice. So maybe a cone serum would work. Got any cruelty free recommendations? I dont touch Garnier or any of that.. lol

wispe
March 3rd, 2017, 07:30 PM
You think that would work? TBH I dont want to buy more conditioner and then have cones not work either. I use to use cone serums years ago but they made my hair crunchy, but that was before I clarified and treated my hair nice. So maybe a cone serum would work. Got any cruelty free recommendations? I dont touch Garnier or any of that.. lol

I think it's worth a try, if it's just one product that you can add/incorporate into your current routine and not have to waste what you already have (and it would probably help you determine if cones are right for you without making a huge commitment to all-coney products). I don't have any specific recs though; this is the first serum I've bought in years and it was on a whim too; I haven't done enough reading up on what's available to know the best options especially for cruelty-free brands. Do we have a cruelty-free products thread to consult, I wonder? eta: If you do try/find one that you like and is cruelty free, please do share your experience later on. I'd definitely be up for trading in my garnier serum for a cruelty-free alternative next time I go to buy one.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 3rd, 2017, 08:48 PM
I think it's worth a try, if it's just one product that you can add/incorporate into your current routine and not have to waste what you already have (and it would probably help you determine if cones are right for you without making a huge commitment to all-coney products). I don't have any specific recs though; this is the first serum I've bought in years and it was on a whim too; I haven't done enough reading up on what's available to know the best options especially for cruelty-free brands. Do we have a cruelty-free products thread to consult, I wonder? eta: If you do try/find one that you like and is cruelty free, please do share your experience later on. I'd definitely be up for trading in my garnier serum for a cruelty-free alternative next time I go to buy one.

True! I will have to give it a try then. Im out of town this weekend so hopefully I remember to pick up something when I return... I have no idea what I am washing my hair with this weekend since I am staying at a hotel, but we will see.

I tried starting one myself, made a post about clean brands/clean living and people here got a little touchy/upset. Lol. So I quit trying.

Ive been doing some research for the last hour or so, I think I will give Ion a try. They have a few serums and they are a cruelty free brand. I thought about trying pacifica too but I dont think they have any serums. Shea Moisture might also have something and they are usually buy one get one 40% off at ulta, and I love me some reward points. (I am aiming to hit platinum this summer... LOL. Dont know if I will be able to use that much product though.)
Ill be playing around with this and will update you guys when I can.

I am getting a sponsorship box from Loreal in the mail sometime soon... I dont purchase these kind of things but I am a blogger so I get sent products from companies for free because of a program I am in, and loreal is sending me full sizes of the new "air dry" line? Its a style cream, a mousse and then a wave spray. I wonder if products like these would work? Im unsure if they have silicones in them though.. Do serums only contain them?

Anyway, since I have to review the products I plan to make a blog post.. somewhere.. maybe here. I never blog here but I dont feel like promoting Loreal since they dont stand for exactly what I stand for, but I HAVE TO review them... (kind of sucks that I cant choose what companies send me things guh)

But ill update you guys none the less.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 3rd, 2017, 09:23 PM
oh also!! giovanni is crulety free and they make a serum called "frizz be gone".
Honestly you could probably find a CF replacement from a lot of different brands a lot of people use here, i think a lot of us use natural and good brands.
Giovanni, alba botanicals, SM.

Logicalharmony.net is a good source :)

wispe
March 3rd, 2017, 10:13 PM
True! I will have to give it a try then. Im out of town this weekend so hopefully I remember to pick up something when I return... I have no idea what I am washing my hair with this weekend since I am staying at a hotel, but we will see.

I tried starting one myself, made a post about clean brands/clean living and people here got a little touchy/upset. Lol. So I quit trying.

Ive been doing some research for the last hour or so, I think I will give Ion a try. They have a few serums and they are a cruelty free brand. I thought about trying pacifica too but I dont think they have any serums. Shea Moisture might also have something and they are usually buy one get one 40% off at ulta, and I love me some reward points. (I am aiming to hit platinum this summer... LOL. Dont know if I will be able to use that much product though.)
Ill be playing around with this and will update you guys when I can.

I am getting a sponsorship box from Loreal in the mail sometime soon... I dont purchase these kind of things but I am a blogger so I get sent products from companies for free because of a program I am in, and loreal is sending me full sizes of the new "air dry" line? Its a style cream, a mousse and then a wave spray. I wonder if products like these would work? Im unsure if they have silicones in them though.. Do serums only contain them?

Anyway, since I have to review the products I plan to make a blog post.. somewhere.. maybe here. I never blog here but I dont feel like promoting Loreal since they dont stand for exactly what I stand for, but I HAVE TO review them... (kind of sucks that I cant choose what companies send me things guh)

But ill update you guys none the less.

oh also!! giovanni is crulety free and they make a serum called "frizz be gone".
Honestly you could probably find a CF replacement from a lot of different brands a lot of people use here, i think a lot of us use natural and good brands.
Giovanni, alba botanicals, SM.

Logicalharmony.net is a good source :)

Thanks for the info! I actually have a lot of SM products already, and as I use up other products I already own I'd like to try to be more conscientious about what I replace them with. I was just never in the habit of thinking about it before, I guess. I've been slowly making a shift to products that are more natural overall (for hair, skincare etc...) as I've found I'm stupid sensitive to the oddest things, and simpler ingredient lists seem to be better for me- I think as I've done that I've just happened to end up with products from better companies in many cases. I'm hoping to get platinum with Ulta too; but I use products up so slowly/am frugal so we'll see if that happens lol. I have a stash of SM stuff in particular I'm dying to start using, but I've got opened products I have to use up first.

Too bad you can't choose your companies; I've got no idea how/if products like that work. I've used mousse to set overnight pincurls before, but never been a big fan (probably because I borrow products and it's usually the maximum hold stuff... I don't much like my hair feeling product-heavy) Tbh I'm relatively new to using actual hair products, I never really learned how to take care of or do my hair until I started looking stuff up as an adult. Not sure what generally has cones and what doesn't, but I feel like they might have some? :shrug: If you find you like the products in the end at least you can look for version made by brands you do trust.

zuzannaa.aaa
March 4th, 2017, 12:34 PM
I'm new to LHC and I just had a trim in December so I think I might be able to join this thread. My hair isn't really damaged yet so I hope I can keep going since I refuse to use heat.

raemarthe
March 4th, 2017, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the forum zuzannaa.aaa! If you have just trimmed your hair in December you can definitely join us. Good job on quitting heat, it really is terrible for hair. Happy growing :)

wispe
March 4th, 2017, 02:01 PM
I'm new to LHC and I just had a trim in December so I think I might be able to join this thread. My hair isn't really damaged yet so I hope I can keep going since I refuse to use heat.

Dropping even occasional heat is a really good step! I always, always regret using heat when my ends suddenly start crying for a trim after. My ends have been bleach fried so I've learned how to put up with a lot from them, but heat on top of it all is killer. Welcome to LHC, by the way.

lapushka
March 4th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Welcome to the forum zuzannaa.aaa! If you have just trimmed your hair in December you can definitely join us. Good job on quitting heat, it really is terrible for hair. Happy growing :)

Yes, welcome, and we're happy to have you join! :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 4th, 2017, 10:50 PM
So I was looking at my ends today in the sunlight and I have a lot of white dots... ugh. I didn't see them before, maybe because it's been pretty dark lately but I didn't have them until I started this no trims thing... honestly I give up. I think this is doing more damage than it's worth...

I'm going to give cones a try when I'm back in town Monday but honestly I think I need to leave this forum and give myself a nice trim, because I just don't think this is going to work out for me. I figured at 3 months I would probably see results like this and I hoped for different but I guess I was right all along. Maybe I can s&d but I see them all over my ends. Not the length just the ends where the tangles are the worst...

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 7th, 2017, 08:24 PM
So I used silicones today, and I think it fixed my issue.. so weird but my hair feels much better and isn't tangling every 5 seconds. I used the full Hask moisturizing line along with one of their leave-in/oils on wet hair and all the white dots look like they've disappeared. (Hask is CF so I am happy with these results.) Also did my ACV too. Feels really good, ill check again tomorrow because day two hair is more honest but it worked. The products all contain demethicone but its very low on the list. But I am happy, I think I will S&D later this week though just to be sure.

wispe
March 7th, 2017, 08:43 PM
So I used silicones today, and I think it fixed my issue.. so weird but my hair feels much better and isn't tangling every 5 seconds. I used the full Hask moisturizing line along with one of their leave-in/oils on wet hair and all the white dots look like they've disappeared. (Hask is CF so I am happy with these results.) Also did my ACV too. Feels really good, ill check again tomorrow because day two hair is more honest but it worked. The products all contain demethicone but its very low on the list. But I am happy, I think I will S&D later this week though just to be sure.

Ooh, I haven't tried hask leave in/serums yet, but I love their conditioners and deep treatments & if I'd known they were also CF I'd have suggested those right off the bat. I know what I'm switching to once my garnier serum is gone. I'm really glad cones are making a difference for you, I hope they continue to work in the long run too. I'll add that I didn't have any build-up issues with hask, even before I started introducing regular ACV rinses into my routine. Perhaps if your hair isn't tangling itself as much you'll also experience less mechanical damage from detangling over time.

Alissalocks
March 7th, 2017, 09:01 PM
I love and adore Hask Shine Treatment (the leave in serums). But I've never had a problem with silicones, so it makes my hair happy. I'm SO glad it worked for you, hope the good results keep coming! That way you can keep your length!

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 7th, 2017, 10:43 PM
I love and adore Hask Shine Treatment (the leave in serums). But I've never had a problem with silicones, so it makes my hair happy. I'm SO glad it worked for you, hope the good results keep coming! That way you can keep your length!

I honestly have no clue if I have EVER had issues with silicones. When I first joined LHC everyone told me to get rid of them, even though they never really caused me problems until I stopped clarifying. But people told me to get off silicones because of my texture. Because my hair is somewhere between 2b-2c at times, not all times, people told me to follow the CG method. And yes, that did help me a bunch but by the time I hit APL I needed to do a huge chop again. And after chopping I stayed with the CG method but my hair never really saw huge improvements, then I went back to cones and was away from LHC for awhile, constantly chopping and constantly unhappy with short hair but I also NEVER clarified. I used sulphates but never actually used clarifying shampoo. And then about 6 months ago I came back to LHC and got off the cones and went more natural again, but have hardly seen any growth in my opinion. I saw more growth between the time I grew from chin to APL (1.5 years) to the time it took me to get from APL to just barely brushing BSL. (8 months) I just want to make it to June, and if I see little growth, and I havent hit solid BSL by then, I think ill have figured out cones are the issue but I am giving them a try again. LHC is a different place now and I havent given silicones the chance it deserves. I just have a feeling I wont be able to touch waist without them;..

lapushka
March 8th, 2017, 09:04 AM

White dots can "hang around" for a long time without breaking; yes, some will break off, but if you use silicones the chances of that are very slim. I grew my white dots (half my hair was riddled with them), from shoulder to hip and most of them had not broken off. My mom went on a wild S&D spree at hip, and took all of them out (hours you guys, HOURS), and it suddenly thinned out half of my hair up to BSL, so we cut back to BSL.

Honestly, try and not trim those dots off until longer. Yes, like I said, some of them will break, but most of mine had held on while growing a large amount of length! I would have had to cut to a short pixie if I hadn't grown it all out!

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 8th, 2017, 10:49 AM
White dots can "hang around" for a long time without breaking; yes, some will break off, but if you use silicones the chances of that are very slim. I grew my white dots (half my hair was riddled with them), from shoulder to hip and most of them had not broken off. My mom went on a wild S&D spree at hip, and took all of them out (hours you guys, HOURS), and it suddenly thinned out half of my hair up to BSL, so we cut back to BSL.

Honestly, try and not trim those dots off until longer. Yes, like I said, some of them will break, but most of mine had held on while growing a large amount of length! I would have had to cut to a short pixie if I hadn't grown it all out!

Mine always break off. So I don't know if all the ones I saw the other day broke off in the shower and that's why I no longer see them but they look like they're gone. The white dots appear the worst the longer I stretch washes, so when I saw them last week I hadn't washed in about 4-5 days and my hair was TANGLED. But it's day two of using cones again and my hair feels REALLy good still, feels like the day i chelated for the first time again AND i don't appear to see the white dots. I'll take it as it comes, I'll keep trying but if in the next few months my hair doesn't appear to be growing still I'll probably need to go back to regular micro trimming.

Kikyou
March 8th, 2017, 02:06 PM
I didn't trimmed since November, and I planned to wait for spring (since I get most damage in winter). But my ends are not bad now, so there is no reason to hurry. I'll join you all.

Alissalocks
March 9th, 2017, 07:46 PM
I honestly have no clue if I have EVER had issues with silicones. When I first joined LHC everyone told me to get rid of them, even though they never really caused me problems until I stopped clarifying. But people told me to get off silicones because of my texture. Because my hair is somewhere between 2b-2c at times, not all times, people told me to follow the CG method. And yes, that did help me a bunch but by the time I hit APL I needed to do a huge chop again. And after chopping I stayed with the CG method but my hair never really saw huge improvements, then I went back to cones and was away from LHC for awhile, constantly chopping and constantly unhappy with short hair but I also NEVER clarified. I used sulphates but never actually used clarifying shampoo. And then about 6 months ago I came back to LHC and got off the cones and went more natural again, but have hardly seen any growth in my opinion. I saw more growth between the time I grew from chin to APL (1.5 years) to the time it took me to get from APL to just barely brushing BSL. (8 months) I just want to make it to June, and if I see little growth, and I havent hit solid BSL by then, I think ill have figured out cones are the issue but I am giving them a try again. LHC is a different place now and I havent given silicones the chance it deserves. I just have a feeling I wont be able to touch waist without them;..
I know absolutely nothing about your texture or the CG method, so I have no great advice but it's sounds like some of the experimentation might be helping? I hope so, I know how much you're so working towards it. :flower: I seem to love silicones, but I've read so many bad things too that I wonder if it might be harmful in the long run. But honestly, my experience of regular silicone use since I arrived here last summer has helped me tremendously with avoiding tangles, and I think it's done great things in tandem with a lot of other changes I've made. Hoping great things for your hair !

dvep
March 9th, 2017, 10:31 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOO

I was doing so well, but tonight I didn't think to put my hair up while I was cooking and wouldn't you know it, the smell of burning hair soon hits me. There's no bouncing back from burned hair! I swear, it was a tiny section in the front and I had to trim off maybe an inch and it's not noticeable (except to me!) but I guess this means I failed. I'll still be pursuing the challenge, though, if only in my heart.

Alissalocks
March 10th, 2017, 06:56 AM
dvep that's so sad but I'm glad you're ok! I think an emergency like that might not "count" as a trim, etc. but it's really lapushka's call since it's her thread.

lapushka
March 10th, 2017, 09:40 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOO

I was doing so well, but tonight I didn't think to put my hair up while I was cooking and wouldn't you know it, the smell of burning hair soon hits me. There's no bouncing back from burned hair! I swear, it was a tiny section in the front and I had to trim off maybe an inch and it's not noticeable (except to me!) but I guess this means I failed. I'll still be pursuing the challenge, though, if only in my heart.

Since it was a terrible (terrible) accident, consider yourself still part of the challenge. Now, don't all come running to ask if you're still included ;) :p I'm just making this one exception because it was so tragic.

OhSuzi
March 10th, 2017, 09:49 AM
could someone please put a picture on, in order to reference the infamous white dots - I have no idea what to be looking for - every now and then when I stare at my hair for split ends - I'm like wait is that a white dot - oop no thats just a bit of fabric dust caught in my hair - is that a white dot - no i think thats dandrufff - is that a white dot maybe? perhaps its just the very bottom surface of my hair shining white in the light? I have no idea what it is im supposed to be looking out for.

pili
March 10th, 2017, 10:59 AM
could someone please put a picture on, in order to reference the infamous white dots - I have no idea what to be looking for - every now and then when I stare at my hair for split ends - I'm like wait is that a white dot - oop no thats just a bit of fabric dust caught in my hair - is that a white dot - no i think thats dandrufff - is that a white dot maybe? perhaps its just the very bottom surface of my hair shining white in the light? I have no idea what it is im supposed to be looking out for.
You'll know it when you see it, and if you don't see them, be thankful.

raemarthe
March 10th, 2017, 11:00 AM
If you can't find any thats good news, you probably don't have many, or possibly, none! they just look like white dots either on the ends of your hair (because of breakage) or in the middle of a hair strand towards the end of your hair (usually).

This thread has example pictures that might help you identify them http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30538 .

And here is a magnified picture I took my self a few years ago that you might find interesting!

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u452/raemarthe/IMG_2964_zps8a9a0ce3.jpg (http://s1068.photobucket.com/user/raemarthe/media/IMG_2964_zps8a9a0ce3.jpg.html)

dvep
March 10th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Since it was a terrible (terrible) accident, consider yourself still part of the challenge. Now, don't all come running to ask if you're still included ;) :p I'm just making this one exception because it was so tragic.

You are an angel! It really wasn't a large amount at all, but it couldn't stay. The hair will be tamed in the kitchen henceforth!

lapushka
March 10th, 2017, 01:15 PM
You are an angel! It really wasn't a large amount at all, but it couldn't stay. The hair will be tamed in the kitchen henceforth!

It was the best thing to do, and it wasn't your fault. I'm glad it was just a piece of your hair, and nothing worse! :thumbsup: Chin up, it'll get better from here on out!

pili
March 10th, 2017, 02:16 PM
dvep, the good thing is that curly hair hides missing hair very well.

dvep
March 10th, 2017, 04:59 PM
dvep, the good thing is that curly hair hides missing hair very well.

True! You'd barely notice it, if at all.

hayheadsbird
March 11th, 2017, 03:58 AM
I get the occasional one. In my hair they tend to show as a white dot when the light hits at a certain angle. If I fold the hair over, it will bend at the dot in a right angle farther than curve. I tend to cut them out regardless of where they are, because I have very few ATM so they only show up once in a blue moon. I normally find them because if the way the hair lies rather than the colour. I'd rather cut them out and let it grow with a clean end, than risk the wait for it to break and deal with the split later. If I had more of them I'd baby them and wait it out.

Kristabeth96
March 11th, 2017, 05:29 PM
Oh fun! I haven't cut since last year anyway. I wanted to shoot for a year which I've never done. This will be a good milestone! Half way there!

OhSuzi
March 12th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Raemarthe hayheadsbird thank you for the replies and photo references. I think I'm in the clear! And understand a bit better what to look out for. For the first time ever I have not trimmed for 8 months and want to stick it out at least til the end of first half of 2017, but am starting to get twitchy about The possibility of hair damage n split ends

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 13th, 2017, 02:52 PM
I did a short S&D session yesterday. Not as many splits as I thought but, still a bit. I dont S&D and probably never will again but meh, no length lost.

Akville
March 16th, 2017, 09:46 AM
Im out.. couldn't bear it..

Milady_DeWinter
March 16th, 2017, 10:07 AM
I'm in! My last trim was on december 2016, and I don't plan to trim as much as I can... 6/7 months will be fine just with S&D :) I'll try to last even more. I want to achieve waist before october, so let's see what my hair can do! :cool:

littlestarface
March 16th, 2017, 11:17 AM
If you can't find any thats good news, you probably don't have many, or possibly, none! they just look like white dots either on the ends of your hair (because of breakage) or in the middle of a hair strand towards the end of your hair (usually).

This thread has example pictures that might help you identify them http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30538 .

And here is a magnified picture I took my self a few years ago that you might find interesting!

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u452/raemarthe/IMG_2964_zps8a9a0ce3.jpg (http://s1068.photobucket.com/user/raemarthe/media/IMG_2964_zps8a9a0ce3.jpg.html)

Goodness that looks so heartbreaking to me, rip hair.