PDA

View Full Version : My hair needs protein!

OceanWave
December 5th, 2016, 10:05 PM
Whenever I do the strand test my hair stretches without returning to its original length. Then when I stretch it more, it eventually breaks. This means more protein, correct? I have tried a few gelatin treatments with no noticeable results besides soft hair. I have also tried egg washes, but it takes a couple days for my hair to feel "nice" again. Someone mentioned I should clarify first. Do I need to clarify if I've been no poo for over a year?

My hair is fine, low porosity, and I only wash/rinse once every 6-10 days. In the past, I have tried honey washes, aloe and glycerin, water only, and most recently rice water. I also add some coconut oil or jojoba oil to seal in moisture. Should I not be using the oil? Is that holding in too much moisture?

I'm just confused as to what I should try next. Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you!

Borgessa
December 5th, 2016, 10:25 PM
I have heard that plain Greek yogurt is a great source of protein, Mayonnaise also. Have you tried those?

OceanWave
December 5th, 2016, 10:30 PM
I have heard that plain Greek yogurt is a great source of protein, Mayonnaise also. Have you tried those?

I haven't heard of those. I will give them a try! Do you know how to apply them?

Borgessa
December 5th, 2016, 10:42 PM
No but I would imagine you would just put them in leave and few hours and wash out. Youtube or google is your friend :)

Just looked it up, this gal here explains how to use it. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Juo32V1z54

lapushka
December 6th, 2016, 04:07 AM
Whenever I do the strand test my hair stretches without returning to its original length. Then when I stretch it more, it eventually breaks. This means more protein, correct? I have tried a few gelatin treatments with no noticeable results besides soft hair. I have also tried egg washes, but it takes a couple days for my hair to feel "nice" again. Someone mentioned I should clarify first. Do I need to clarify if I've been no poo for over a year?

My hair is fine, low porosity, and I only wash/rinse once every 6-10 days. In the past, I have tried honey washes, aloe and glycerin, water only, and most recently rice water. I also add some coconut oil or jojoba oil to seal in moisture. Should I not be using the oil? Is that holding in too much moisture?

I'm just confused as to what I should try next. Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you!

Yep, definitely clarify wash with a sulfate shampoo first! It may just be that that's off. CO-washing brings a lot of moisture to the hair, and some hair can't take the overload of moisture and goes berserk.

samanthaa
December 6th, 2016, 07:22 AM

The protein molecules in eggs (and thus mayonnaise) are too big to penetrate the hair shaft. I would assume the same is true for yogurt. You want the building blocks of protein: amino acids. An at-home DIY for this would be soy sauce or the soy-sauce alternative Braggs Liquid Amino. Otherwise you can find a conditioner that's heavy with proteins (look for the word "hydrolyzed," which means the protein's been broken down so that it's small enough to penetrate) and do an occasional deep treatment. I think these conditioners are typically labeled "strengthening," but honestly it's easier to find a conditioner containing protein than it is to find one without (I'm protein-free and really struggled).

Clarifying is up to you. I'd be hesitant personally if you only water-wash because it might set your progress back or really upset your scalp. Some people do swear by clarifying, but other people, like me, find that it doesn't really do much. I don't get build-up. I'm silicone-free and don't use any styling products. Shampoo bar followed by acidic rinse, protein- and cone-free conditioner, and coconut or argan oil are the only things I use on my hair regularly.

Maybe you can try an acidic rinse on your ends only? ACV or citric acid. It's not a clarifier but it can help to loosen gunk and combat soap scum.

vampyyri
December 6th, 2016, 07:25 AM
There are two really good and inexpensive ones you could try, with stuff that's possibly laying around your house.

Gelatin (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html)
Beer (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-cookin-vegetarian-protein.html)

Robot Ninja
December 6th, 2016, 09:15 AM
If you haven't used shampoo in a year, then yes, I think you should clarify before using a protein treatment.

How are you doing your gelatin treatments? If your hair is actually mushy, you might need to do a good hard treatment, with heat.

I think these conditioners are typically labeled "strengthening," but honestly it's easier to find a conditioner containing protein than it is to find one without (I'm protein-free and really struggled).

Where are you finding these cone-free conditioners with protein? 'Cause I'm no-cone, yes-protein and I can't find a single conditioner that meets those criteria.

OceanWave
December 6th, 2016, 09:26 AM
There are two really good and inexpensive ones you could try, with stuff that's possibly laying around your house.

Gelatin (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html)
Beer (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-cookin-vegetarian-protein.html)

Thank you, these articles were very informative! According to this, I have been adding too much vinegar to my gelatin treatment. I will try the gelatin again without any vinegar to see if I get different results. If that doesn't work then I will experiment with beer.

OceanWave
December 6th, 2016, 09:32 AM
If you haven't used shampoo in a year, then yes, I think you should clarify before using a protein treatment.

How are you doing your gelatin treatments? If your hair is actually mushy, you might need to do a good hard treatment, with heat.

Where are you finding these cone-free conditioners with protein? 'Cause I'm no-cone, yes-protein and I can't find a single conditioner that meets those criteria.

I have been using http://www.mommypotamus.com/gelatin-hair-mask/ as my gelatin treatment, but maybe I need to modify it. With heat would mean using a blow dryer? I usually use saran wrap and then put a towel over top of that and leave on for 30 minutes. Maybe that heat isn't strong enough?

mermaid lullaby
December 6th, 2016, 10:06 AM
I think you need to clarify too. The reason is that the wax from your head could be weighing your hair down it's not overly moisturized, it's just coated. I personally don't believe in strand tests, hair snaps and stretches whether its moisturized or has protein so, that to me is a variable error.
If you are a little nervous about shampoo. You can make it more gentle by having it as a mixture 1 tbl shampoo to 24 oz water. Conditioner should be step 2 after you have idea what your hair is like after clarifying.

OceanWave
December 6th, 2016, 11:05 AM
I think you need to clarify too. The reason is that the wax from your head could be weighing your hair down it's not overly moisturized, it's just coated. I personally don't believe in strand tests, hair snaps and stretches whether its moisturized or has protein so, that to me is a variable error.
If you are a little nervous about shampoo. You can make it more gentle by having it as a mixture 1 tbl shampoo to 24 oz water. Conditioner should be step 2 after you have idea what your hair is like after clarifying.

What would you recommend to determine what your hair needs without the strand test?

cassandraj
December 6th, 2016, 11:28 AM
The protein molecules in eggs (and thus mayonnaise) are too big to penetrate the hair shaft. I would assume the same is true for yogurt. You want the building blocks of protein: amino acids. An at-home DIY for this would be soy sauce or the soy-sauce alternative Braggs Liquid Amino. Otherwise you can find a conditioner that's heavy with proteins (look for the word "hydrolyzed," which means the protein's been broken down so that it's small enough to penetrate) and do an occasional deep treatment. I think these conditioners are typically labeled "strengthening," but honestly it's easier to find a conditioner containing protein than it is to find one without (I'm protein-free and really struggled).

Clarifying is up to you. I'd be hesitant personally if you only water-wash because it might set your progress back or really upset your scalp. Some people do swear by clarifying, but other people, like me, find that it doesn't really do much. I don't get build-up. I'm silicone-free and don't use any styling products. Shampoo bar followed by acidic rinse, protein- and cone-free conditioner, and coconut or argan oil are the only things I use on my hair regularly.

Maybe you can try an acidic rinse on your ends only? ACV or citric acid. It's not a clarifier but it can help to loosen gunk and combat soap scum.

Really? Soy sauce? I've never heard that..

littlestarface
December 6th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Really? Soy sauce? I've never heard that..

Yea a low sodium one will work best.

I use hair masks that say protein or keratin on the package for my protein needs, I don't like these homemade things cuz honestly for me they don't do diddly for my hair.

Anje
December 6th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Some stretch to hair is normal and healthy, so don't get too worried if your hair isn't feeling weirdly stretchy or fragile or too soft or acting sort of lank. The protein treatment you linked with gelatin seems like it'd be fantastic, so if it gives you good results I don't think you've got much to worry about.

As others have said, the occasional clarifying is probably good if your hair just isn't looking or feeling "right," and it's usually the first step when trying to fix that.

mizukitty
December 6th, 2016, 02:22 PM
I don't know about home made protein treatments. Aren't the molecules too large to do anything in terms of filling the chipped pieces of keratin on hair? Hydrolyzed proteins are specifically sized for this very purpose. I mean it can't hurt, but I think a commercial one would work better...

samanthaa
December 6th, 2016, 02:42 PM

Really?? SheaMoisture has a bunch! Their no-cone, no-protein conditioners (Raw Shea Butter and African Water Mint & Ginger) didn't work for me at all in terms of detangling, but I was happy with the Superfruit Complex line, which is no-cone and yes-protein. It's been a while since I've had to shop conditioner since I've now found one that I like, but I do remember it being so difficult trying to find one that was no-cone and also no-protein.

Katia_k
December 6th, 2016, 03:02 PM

I've been using a Nature's Gate Biatin conditioner, and that's cone-free with protein. Protein's a bit lower on the list, but it seems to be good for my protein-hungry hair.

*waves*
December 6th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Maybe try some hair masks? I have fine hair as well, and I use this once a week:

Mix around 1/4 cup of yogurt (use more if you have long hair) with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Slather it on your scalp and all over your hair, and let it sit for 15-20 minutes in a shower cap before washing it out with shampoo/conditioner/whatever you normally use. You could also use some oils to help with overall hair health. I use grapeseed myself, but coconut, argan, jojoba, olive, avocado, or sesame also work. Just take tiny bit every day/every few days depending on how your hair is feeling, rub it between your fingers, and finger-comb through your hair.

Robot Ninja
December 6th, 2016, 06:05 PM
Really?? SheaMoisture has a bunch! Their no-cone, no-protein conditioners (Raw Shea Butter and African Water Mint & Ginger) didn't work for me at all in terms of detangling, but I was happy with the Superfruit Complex line, which is no-cone and yes-protein. It's been a while since I've had to shop conditioner since I've now found one that I like, but I do remember it being so difficult trying to find one that was no-cone and also no-protein.

Cool, I was eyeballing them the last time I was in Sally's but decided I do not need to do any more hair experiments right now. But since they have a bunch of conditioners with protein maybe I do need to do more hair experiments.