PDA

View Full Version : Salon brands -- worth it or not?

turtlelover
December 5th, 2016, 09:47 PM
I honestly have never used "high end" products other than Nexxus, which probably really doesn't qualify as that anymore since it is now sold in WalMart, etc. Am I actually missing out on anything? Do they honestly help improve hair condition more than your more typical drugstore or Sally's brands? I'm slowly trimming layers out of my hair and am kind of bored and want to play around with products, but don't want to waste a lot of money if the "better" products don't really work much differently.

calmyogi
December 5th, 2016, 09:54 PM
I don't use professional on a regular, but I will say the few times I have used them they did seem to work better. There is this professional curly hair shampoo and conditioner I use to buy and it seemed to really make my hair almost go in to these Shirley temple ringlets. It made them come to life like no other product I used. The line has long since been discontinued though :(. That's not to say that some is the store brands aren't really good though.

Laccaria
December 5th, 2016, 10:26 PM
Sadly, beause I always want to believe the magical cure is just around the corner, my experience with both "drugstore" and "professional" products is very much YMMV.

I've been growing out some bleach damage in the last few years. The internet is full of praise for Redken products for damaged hair, so I've tried a few during this process.

I loooved their Extreme line and ended up buying a bunch of those products and guarding them jealously. I thought their All Soft line was fine, but nothing special. I think there still a partial bottle of conditioner in my bathroom right now that I'll probably get around to using eventually.

I HATED their Diamond Oil conditioner with a passion I didn't know I could muster for hair products. It somehow made my hair feel rougher and drier than shampoo alone. That said, I "donated" the bottle to my partner, and he loves it for his short 3-somthing hair and even curlier beard. Plus, it smells really nice on him. Meanwhile, I've gone back to $3 Sauve Almond and Shea Butter just because I like it better.

Annalouise
December 6th, 2016, 01:34 AM
I read an article recently that said that more salon brands are pH balanced, (4.9), than store brands. But not all salon brands are pH balanced. (I can't find the article). If you talk to cosmetic chemists they will insist that hair products be in the correct pH range. However, this obviously takes more work and that is why many companies don't bother. :)

lapushka
December 6th, 2016, 03:52 AM
I honestly have never used "high end" products other than Nexxus, which probably really doesn't qualify as that anymore since it is now sold in WalMart, etc. Am I actually missing out on anything? Do they honestly help improve hair condition more than your more typical drugstore or Sally's brands? I'm slowly trimming layers out of my hair and am kind of bored and want to play around with products, but don't want to waste a lot of money if the "better" products don't really work much differently.

I once tried things by Davines (many years ago), and a hair mask by Schwarzkopf, their Bonacure range. It was a *nice* mask, but it also cost me 20 euro (the salon recommended it to me, and since she had given me such great service, I thought well... okay, I'll be the sucker of the day) :p The Davines was a leave-in spray for fine hair. I still have it. My mom can use it better (and it's still good after all these years).

I have been very happy with regular drugstore brands, to such a degree that I no longer want to spend the money, not because I'm on a budget, but because I don't see the need to. :shrug:

lapushka
December 6th, 2016, 03:54 AM
I read an article recently that said that more salon brands are pH balanced, (4.9), than store brands. But not all salon brands are pH balanced. (I can't find the article). If you talk to cosmetic chemists they will insist that hair products be in the correct pH range. However, this obviously takes more work and that is why many companies don't bother. :)

Do you have a link to that article, or something similar?

Silverbleed
December 6th, 2016, 04:08 AM
I don't know. I've tried several brands (don't have it anymore and don't know the names) but if I would compare them to my hair and my routine now, I would say they didn't do anything at all. So I'm not really convinced :shrug: It doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Nique1202
December 6th, 2016, 05:01 AM
Salon brands are absolutely not necessarily any better than drugstore brands. They might have a few cents worth of fancy expensive ingredients in the bottle to justify marking the price up 5-10x what the drugstore equivalent product costs, but they generally use the same basic ingredients. If you get a result you like from a salon brand, chances are there's an equivalent in the drugstore that's just as good, though sometimes you might have to cocktail a few brands to get the same effect.

I can only think of one sort-of exception: until the last 5-7 years or so, it was difficult to find a clarifying-type shampoo in the drugstore brands, most of the shampoos were so diluted or gentle that they left buildup on my hair all the time. So, salon brands that used higher concentrations of sulfates and such were more effective for that. But now, almost every drugstore shampoo brand has a clarifying option, and they work just as well for $3 as the $20 bottle I bought back in the day when money was worth more.

Annalouise
December 6th, 2016, 07:38 AM
Do you have a link to that article, or something similar?

I found it. Geez I need to know how to organize my "favorites". :o
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4158629/

lapushka
December 6th, 2016, 08:58 AM
I found it. Geez I need to know how to organize my "favorites". :o
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4158629/

Haha! Know what that's like. Thank you! :)

They do say they tested "popular" shampoos. Wondering now what those are. Of course, this doesn't go for every brand or shampoo that's drugstore. The outcome might just depend on which ones they selected.

mizukitty
December 6th, 2016, 09:15 AM
I haven't tried enough "high-end" products to really be able to form a strong opinion, but I do recall off hand one product that I really loved. Back in high school I bought it on a whim when I was a massive hair product junkie. It was "Redken All soft" heavy cream. They aren't joking when they say all soft. It's incredibly good. Unfortunately I've never repurchased as the price tag is ridiculous. I do believe it was one of the best deep conditioners I've tried, though. That's definitely not to say SheaMoisture from the drugstore, or even HE hello hydration isn't terribly close, though.

I'm very conflicted about trying the Joico chelating shampoo and I have hard water problems, but can it do something that ACV or citric acid can't? And do I wanna drop $30 to find out?? Urgh..

ExpectoPatronum
December 6th, 2016, 10:10 AM
I tend to like higher end products for my cleansing and conditioning steps in my routine. While there are some good stuff from the drugstore that I gladly purchase when I can't afford my salon brand things, I tend to get better results with my salon brands. Additionally, my skin and scalp are less reactive though some high end products can still trigger my skin allergies. I really like Matrix and Carol's Daughter for high end stuff. For drug store, Cantu and Shea Moisture usually give me great results. However, I'll be completely honest in saying that I have not found a COwash or cleansing conditioner that I like from the drugstore and I've tried most of them. Either my scalp hates them or my hair does. I'm experimenting with Matrix's cleansing conditioner right now and so far I'm having great results.

However, I don't really have a huge preference either way when it comes to styling products. I've used great high end curl creams and great drugstore curl creams. Same goes for gels. I tend to just buy what I want to try and can afford whenever I'm in the market for something new. I'm currently using Devacurl products for the styling part of my routine but I don't feel inclined to repurchase them.

littlestarface
December 6th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Yes they are very much worth it. Redken protein mask is the best hair mask I ever tried and I tried alot of cheap ones. Joico chelator/moisture mask the absolute best. I think with some things it's best to go with salon high quality and other things it's good to go drugstore. You just pick n choose the right ones best for you.

ephemeri
December 6th, 2016, 04:01 PM
It really is so different depending on the person, and their goals, I think.

When I started Curly Girl Method I used DevaCurl products and refused to stray because it was the only thing I'd ever tried and the only thing I was taught how to use properly on my hair, and the results were amazing. I finally got to a point where I couldn't justify the price anymore and started doing internet research to find drugstore products that did the same.

It totally worked, I found great products that were very cheap that gave me the results I wanted.

Now I don't totally follow curly girl and most days of the week I don't even wear my hair curly (because I'm wearing it up all the time) and I'm happy with my cheap-to-moderately-priced shampoo, conditioner, and oils.

Chocowalnut
December 6th, 2016, 04:59 PM
I would say not necessarily professional products but good quality products do make a big difference. A lot of salon products are good quality but some normal store bought products are good too. Also it makes a difference what hair type and condition you're starting with too.

vampyyri
December 6th, 2016, 05:17 PM
In my experience... not really. I've tried Sebastian, Redken, Matrix... I felt like I was paying for a name, because it didn't make much of a difference for me personally. Perhaps I grabbed the wrong ones, but I've never been "wow'd" by a salon product before :shrug: YMMV

Cass
December 6th, 2016, 06:11 PM
Unfortunatly for my wallet salon stuff is best for my hair. I use the I.C.O.N indian shampoo and conditioner and love it. (If anyone knows where i can buy it in the UK would be very helpful) Joicos moisture leave in spray and kerastase oil are really nice too. I did like herbal essences hello hydration line though.

Frankenstein
December 6th, 2016, 08:48 PM
I've personally never been crazy about any salon products that I've tried. Drugstore stuff is cheap and effective for me.

Flipgirl24
December 6th, 2016, 09:57 PM
I would have to say yes, salon products are better than drugstore brands. Not all of them however. I do not care for Redken products. Sebastian, Pureology, Kerastase, and L'oreal Professional are the best (the last three are all owned by L'oreal). I also like Paul Mitchell because they don't test on animals. I used to use drugstore brands then tried a brand at Sally's because I was dating a guy who shopped in the States a lot. I'd get a gallon of shampoo and conditioner for $10 each. They were gentler than the drugstore brands and didn't leave my hair squeaky. Then I tried the L'oreal brands and I was converted. I don't use them anymore but they are the best. I had to use Pantene and Dove once and it took me 5 shampoos to get the feeling of having a 5 pound helmet of grease off my head. Drugstore shampoos always feel like they strip the hair...I don't want my hair to actually squeak when I wash it. I don't know what makes them better but salon products seem to be gentler and not leave gunk in my hair. That's just me though.

lapushka
December 7th, 2016, 06:47 AM
I would have to say yes, salon products are better than drugstore brands. Not all of them however. I do not care for Redken products. Sebastian, Pureology, Kerastase, and L'oreal Professional are the best (the last three are all owned by L'oreal). I also like Paul Mitchell because they don't test on animals. I used to use drugstore brands then tried a brand at Sally's because I was dating a guy who shopped in the States a lot. I'd get a gallon of shampoo and conditioner for $10 each. They were gentler than the drugstore brands and didn't leave my hair squeaky. Then I tried the L'oreal brands and I was converted. I don't use them anymore but they are the best. I had to use Pantene and Dove once and it took me 5 shampoos to get the feeling of having a 5 pound helmet of grease off my head. Drugstore shampoos always feel like they strip the hair...I don't want my hair to actually squeak when I wash it. I don't know what makes them better but salon products seem to be gentler and not leave gunk in my hair. That's just me though.

These are brands, esp. Pantene *known* to be nourishing. If you buy a shampoo for "dry, damaged" hair, that's what you're going to get. You ALSO have to pay attention to the purpose of the shampoo. I use the Aqua Light and sometimes volumizing one, and have no issues with my hair being clean - at all. And it has to be clean because I have SD (seborrheic dermatitis).

renia22
December 10th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Ah, I found the article I was thinking of. I couldn't remember where I read that there is in fact a difference in quality/ grade of materials, and that it doesn't necessarily mean the salon brands are going to be using the higher grade ingredients, but I found the article. Apparently you are better off trying products from a large company that owns many different brands, because chances are they will be able to afford to use the high grade materials across the board in their various brands (providing you don't have some bone to pick with their business practices or something). So if you can't afford to try Pureology or Kerastase, chances are you might find something made by L'Oreal that you like, since they are owned by the same company. I also remember reading in blind tests, where they tested all types of products in various prices ranges, that Pantene was the brand people favored, performance wise.

Here's the article regarding quality of materials used in products:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2013/11/the-beauty-brains-show-episode-03-are-salon-ingredients-higher-quality/

lapushka
December 10th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Ah, I found the article I was thinking of. I couldn't remember where I read that there is in fact a difference in quality/ grade of materials, and that it doesn't necessarily mean the salon brands are going to be using the higher grade ingredients, but I found the article. Apparently you are better off trying products from a large company that owns many different brands, because chances are they will be able to afford to use the high grade materials across the board in their various brands (providing you don't have some bone to pick with their business practices or something). So if you can't afford to try Pureology or Kerastase, chances are you might find something made by L'Oreal that you like, since they are owned by the same company. I also remember reading in blind tests, where they tested all types of products in various prices ranges, that Pantene was the brand people favored, performance wise.

http://thebeautybrains.com/2013/11/the-beauty-brains-show-episode-03-are-salon-ingredients-higher-quality/

Makes sense! :)

Adorkable One
December 10th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Eh, unless you're using something that's supposed to double as a trearment, i dont see a huge difference. If its just normal shampoo and conditioner, the best part of salon brands is smell, lol. I don't feel like they've worked any better than Pantene or Herbal Essences. I used to swear by Redken products for example. It was getting expensive, so I used some "normal" shampoo and conditioner, and it basically worked the same.

turtlelover
December 10th, 2016, 04:28 PM

Interesting thoughts. Also, I used a Pantene shampoo earlier this year and liked it -- I think it was AquaClear or something like that. I haven't tried anything else by Pantene in a long time. I might have to revisit the brand now that my hair is longer and hennaed. Hairstylists seem to think that using Pantene is evil, but then, most hairstylists that I know have awful hair themselves, so I don't take their advice too seriously. LOL Right now my fave is Nexxus Hydralight shampoo and conditioner. I LOVE the stuff. However, it is pricier than Pantene, though not a "legit" salon brand anymore.

renia22
December 10th, 2016, 04:50 PM
Interesting thoughts. Also, I used a Pantene shampoo earlier this year and liked it -- I think it was AquaClear or something like that. I haven't tried anything else by Pantene in a long time. I might have to revisit the brand now that my hair is longer and hennaed. Hairstylists seem to think that using Pantene is evil, but then, most hairstylists that I know have awful hair themselves, so I don't take their advice too seriously. LOL Right now my fave is Nexxus Hydralight shampoo and conditioner. I LOVE the stuff. However, it is pricier than Pantene, though not a "legit" salon brand anymore.

I'm thinking someone in the salon industry must have started those Pantene "wax" rumors at some point to sabotage them, since Pantene sells so well and many consumers across various markets really seem to like it. Perhaps ingredients can build up on hair, especially if people are using heavy products or products not for their hair type, or not clarifying when needed, but that can be true for products in all kinds of price points.

Pureology, for example, gave me nasty build up/ left gross residue after just one use and I had to give it away, even though I was using something formulated for my hair type, and it's a sought after brand. I still hated it :(. Haven't tried the Nexxus hydralight, but I do like the Pantene Aqualight too. I think Pantene and Herbal Essences are good overall brands and have lots of nice products for a decent price, I fall back on those all the time even though I do stray because I like to experiment.

Stepo_NiNha
December 11th, 2016, 11:21 AM
I use Pantene and that is what works best for me. I have to choose the purifying or aqua light shampoo though (transparent shampoos) because the white ones leave my hair dry and greasy very fast. I also use the aqua light and breakage defense ranges as far as conditioners and hair masks. It leaves my hair thick and shiny. Im a Pantene woman anyway. I tried salon brands with no success: the worst results I got from salon brands was dandruff, build up, limp and lifeless hair. Too expensive to try other salon brands without knowing the results. The hairdresses didnt know how to advise because neither didnt they know my hair nor didnt they know the products they were selling and whats the hair type those products are for. Maybe there are other people having more success than me with salon brands.

lapushka
December 11th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Pureology, for example, gave me nasty build up/ left gross residue after just one use and I had to give it away, even though I was using something formulated for my hair type, and it's a sought after brand. I still hated it :(. Haven't tried the Nexxus hydralight, but I do like the Pantene Aqualight too. I think Pantene and Herbal Essences are good overall brands and have lots of nice products for a decent price, I fall back on those all the time even though I do stray because I like to experiment.

The Aqua Light is my HG! I love that shampoo to bits. The volumizing shampoo is about the same. I haven't tried other Pantene shampoos as those 2 are the only ones without sulfates. Might have to give the "classic" one a go maybe, even if it does have silicones (dimethicone I can take on my SD). It's on my list of things to try. :)

Zebra Fish
December 11th, 2016, 03:18 PM
I had a friends (she is still alive, but we're not friends anymore) that loves all salon stuff - the more expensive, the better. First she found BC Bonacure, then it wasn't good enough and moved to L'Oreal Professional. Then to Kerastase, and then at one point Kerastase was not good enough for her anymore. Seen her 2 yeas apart, her hair was very bad, and she had like 10 products (I never understood the use of all tbh). For me, it varies alot. Depending of my hair "prefers" at the moment. At one point I moved from salon brand to the cheapest there is here on market (the "natural stuff" and that was Alverde from DM) and didn't see any difference. So way pay 10x more? Sth like 7 years ago I moved from "common" Nivea to L'Oreal Professional and it did wonders. Also, did a lot to my mum. Now I'm altering from cheap stuff to medium stuff (10€), but mostly not salon brands anymore. I do have L'Oreal Professional claryfing shampoo (use it 3-5 x per year) and I recently bought an expensive hair mask (although I'm not sure whether it is salon stuff). I think it varies a lot of your hair/scalp. And if it works now, it might not in a year.

renia22
December 11th, 2016, 08:52 PM
Same here, Stepo_NiNha & Lapushka, I like the same types of products as you guys.

Zebra Fish- that's crazy about your old friend and the expensive hair products. Just goes to show you that some expensive products can work like crap too. Although I have to admit, I do like some of the Paul Mitchell products and have not found the knock offs out there to be the same. Specifically the shampoo 2 (my favorite clarifying shampoo), awapuhi shampoo & mist, and "the conditioner". Great stuff :)

Rhoward
December 12th, 2016, 01:47 AM
I used to work as a hairdresser when I was younger so I always thought that 'salon brands' were better. It's what we are taught in school, but I really don't think it's true. I now use Pantene, Herbal Essence and mane n' tail and they work just as well if not better than the expensive stuff.

The only thing I do see as worth the money are the 'in salon only' treatments. Olaplaex, collagen moisture treatments, protein and colour sealing treatments. They really do make an instant noticeable difference in the hair's condition.

Problem is they are hard to get hold of if you are not a hairdresser, you can't buy them at sallys or hair salons, you need to have a hairdressing licence and access to a salon supply store to get them at a reasonable price.

There are some online stores like www.strawberrynet.com that stock some of them and you can also find some on www.amazon.com but they will be more expensive than a salon supply store.

The good news is if you look after your hair and don't destroy it with chemicals you wont really need these types of treatments :)

Mrstran
December 12th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Nexxus is still a salon brand. What happened is through distribution companies it went through channels and the rights of the product were "twisted" in a sense. The product sort of "got lost in the system" it's hard to explain, but I've had it explained to me before. I'm just horrible at relaying info lol. Through all the filtering, one source cannot be held accountable and sued.

I do still buy Nexxus and love it. It's my go to. The only other brand I have tried was RedKin. I hated it. It just felt diluted. It did nothing for my hair.

Nymphe
December 12th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Unfortunatly for my wallet salon stuff is best for my hair. I use the I.C.O.N indian shampoo and conditioner and love it. (If anyone knows where i can buy it in the UK would be very helpful) Joicos moisture leave in spray and kerastase oil are really nice too. I did like herbal essences hello hydration line though.

Is this it? (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Icon-1256-70878-India-Shampoo-250ml/dp/B004LUOX8A)

littlestarface
December 12th, 2016, 11:26 AM
I used to work as a hairdresser when I was younger so I always thought that 'salon brands' were better. It's what we are taught in school, but I really don't think it's true. I now use Pantene, Herbal Essence and mane n' tail and they work just as well if not better than the expensive stuff.

The only thing I do see as worth the money are the 'in salon only' treatments. Olaplaex, collagen moisture treatments, protein and colour sealing treatments. They really do make an instant noticeable difference in the hair's condition.

Problem is they are hard to get hold of if you are not a hairdresser, you can't buy them at sallys or hair salons, you need to have a hairdressing licence and access to a salon supply store to get them at a reasonable price.

There are some online stores like www.strawberrynet.com that stock some of them and you can also find some on www.amazon.com but they will be more expensive than a salon supply store.

The good news is if you look after your hair and don't destroy it with chemicals you wont really need these types of treatments :)

I never use any chemicals n such but I still love using those types of treatments lol

pili
December 12th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Nope. Every high end brand I've tried has caused my scalp to react (crack and bleed). Funny enough, the 14 years of CG I used cheapo drugstore brands and they never caused any issues and my hair looked nice.

RottenMango
April 27th, 2019, 10:01 PM
For deep conditioner, I have noticed that higher end brands seem to have better ingredients and work better on my hair. For shampoo, conditioner and leave in conditioner, drugstore products work fine on my hair. I prefer high end hair serums and hair butters as well. Plenty of people use all drugstore products and have gorgeous hair. There are also people who use all salon products and have lackluster hair, so your mileage may vary. Look at ingredients rather than price/name.

Begemot
April 28th, 2019, 12:42 AM
Some are worth it, some are not. Same thing with cheaper stuff. Just better to check the ingredients and reviews of salon products very carefully before buying anything. So no expensive impulse buys for me. I don't use expensive products as my regular shampoo and conditioner since that would get tad too pricey for my budget. Treatments, leave-ins etc. that I don't use a lot/often can be little more expensive.