PDA

View Full Version : Layers in hair grown from birth...

calmyogi
December 5th, 2016, 09:47 PM
I have never met anyone who has grown their hair from birth without ever cutting it and I was wondering how it grew. Does it grow out in layers, or do all the hairs catch up with each other? (I know not every hair is all the same length all the time anyways, but I mean the majority of hair).

pili
December 5th, 2016, 10:48 PM
I saw an Amish documentary once. The women never cut their hair and the mom and little girl had thick classic+ hair with fairy tail ends. The mom said her hair was more damaged from age.

spidermom
December 5th, 2016, 11:19 PM
Unless a person keeps hair very short, there is always going to be a mix of new-grown and thus very short hairs, oldest longest hairs, and all the hair lengths in-between. Every single day at least one hair reaches the end of its growth cycle and sheds out. And every single day at least one new hair grows in. That's why most of us have that halo of shorter hairs that some call frizz.

lapushka
December 6th, 2016, 03:58 AM
If it grows in from birth or bald (basically about the same), then it is in fact layered and not blunt.

Entangled
December 6th, 2016, 06:12 AM
It's more tapered than layered. Nine of the hairs are kept artificially equal and all hairs are allowed to grow at their own rate.

calmyogi
December 6th, 2016, 07:56 AM
Thanks you guys!

Lapushka is it as obvious as when someone has layers cut in?

RebekahE
December 6th, 2016, 11:36 AM
My almost four year old niece has hip length hair. It has never been trimmed or cut. The ends are slightly fairytaled but most of the hair is the same length.

raemarthe
December 6th, 2016, 11:48 AM
I have a friend who didn't get her hair cut until she was 13, which was only this year. Her hair was about classic, and she had beautiful fairy tail ends, the hair was all about the same length, but had minimal layering due to growing from bald. I loved her hair (still do, now that it is APL), it is very blonde and she had beautiful waves at classic length. I think its kind of funny because when she had it cut, her mother saved the ends, because she believed that they were her baby hairs. Although I'm pretty sure that that her hair should have been much longer, for her ends to be indeed be from her baby years. I guess her ends did have some breakage, but all in all she had a glorious mane!

Anje
December 6th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Eventually, the hairs that were grown from birth will all shed out. (In children, you can sometimes still spot them, as the hair from the first year or so is frequently fine and a different color or texture than the rest of the hair.) So a teenager or adult isn't likely to have hair on their head from when they were a baby. Instead, it's going to look like most hair with long-term fairytale ends, where the hair tapers a bit and then disappears to nothingness when the hairs reach their terminal length. It definitely looks different from cut layers and has a softness to it that you can't really get unless hair has gone for years without being trimmed to an even length.

calmyogi
December 6th, 2016, 01:34 PM
I have a friend who didn't get her hair cut until she was 13, which was only this year. Her hair was about classic, and she had beautiful fairy tail ends, the hair was all about the same length, but had minimal layering due to growing from bald. I loved her hair (still do, now that it is APL), it is very blonde and she had beautiful waves at classic length. I think its kind of funny because when she had it cut, her mother saved the ends, because she believed that they were her baby hairs. Although I'm pretty sure that that her hair should have been much longer, for her ends to be indeed be from her baby years. I guess her ends did have some breakage, but all in all she had a glorious mane!

Wow, 13! That's cute that her mom thought that. I mean maybe a hair was an actual baby hair, that could be possible couldn't it? ;).

Eventually, the hairs that were grown from birth will all shed out. (In children, you can sometimes still spot them, as the hair from the first year or so is frequently fine and a different color or texture than the rest of the hair.) So a teenager or adult isn't likely to have hair on their head from when they were a baby. Instead, it's going to look like most hair with long-term fairytale ends, where the hair tapers a bit and then disappears to nothingness when the hairs reach their terminal length. It definitely looks different from cut layers and has a softness to it that you can't really get unless hair has gone for years without being trimmed to an even length.

You make me want to touch someone's hair that hasn't cut it lol. I have always wondered about just letting my hair grow and not trimming it anymore. My shortest layers are at my shoulders and The longest are just hitting the bottom of my ribcage. Idk how it would fair with the layers cut into it already though.

mz_butterfly
December 6th, 2016, 03:45 PM
I saw an Amish documentary once. The women never cut their hair and the mom and little girl had thick classic+ hair with fairy tail ends. The mom said her hair was more damaged from age.

I watched the reality tv program "Meet the Hutterites" and saw a lot of bald spots in the ladies' hair (while they were fixing their styles) from the severe style they wear it in.

lapushka
December 6th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Thanks you guys!

Lapushka is it as obvious as when someone has layers cut in?

Yes it is! Even moreso!

calmyogi
December 6th, 2016, 04:46 PM
I watched the reality tv program "Meet the Hutterites" and saw a lot of bald spots in the ladies' hair (while they were fixing their styles) from the severe style they wear it in.

Eep! Yeah I suppose after wearing your hair in the same tight style day after day that would happen.

pili
December 6th, 2016, 06:30 PM

The one I saw was on Netflix, Amish: the Secret Life might have been the title. I'm sure it's on YouTube too.