PDA

View Full Version : How much hair falls daily in an exact amount?

pamela_07
December 5th, 2016, 12:04 PM
A lot of websites say 100, 150, others say 50, so I want to know the exact most common amount!

Arctic
December 5th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Those are avarages. I see the number 100 mentioned the most often as an avarage, but for me personally (when I'm healthy) that is way more than what I loose in a day.

There is no exact amount that would be universal, really. It's highly individual, and even for the same person it might change with seasons and healt, and even for a healthy person there are occasional seasonal sheds.

The only thing that matters is what is your avarage shedding rate. This you can only learn with time and by patiently observing. This is the quantity you need to compare to. I personally would count though, just eyeball.

Anje
December 5th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Probably varies a lot by hair thickness, among other things. Mine seemed to vary substantially seasonally and based on wash method and frequency, but I never bothered to count.

vampyyri
December 5th, 2016, 12:26 PM
It varies from person to person. The only way to truly tell where you stand is to gather sheds and count them. I'm personally a 30-40 a day person.

lapushka
December 5th, 2016, 02:15 PM
"They say" that if you lose more than about 100 a day, your hair will thin out, but again, that's an average. I think I'm nearly there. I lose a lot of hair, but my hair doesn't thin out.

The best thing to do is to measure your ponytail circumference, and to measure it *yearly*. I say yearly because *in* a year that circumference can fluctuate and it can all still be perfectly normal. If that doesn't change, then you can bet there's nothing up.

You shouldn't focus on the amount, you'll drive yourself crazy!

Decoy24601
December 5th, 2016, 02:24 PM
There's no way to ever really tell *exactly* how much hair you shed on a daily basis. You'll at least have hair that's shed in your sleep that you won't know about or any time your hair is down for that matter.

I probably shed roughly 20-30 hairs a day normally. I don't think it goes above 50 ever. How much hair is "normal" for shedding varies from person to person.

hannabiss
December 5th, 2016, 02:37 PM
I'm not sure. I'd guess maybe 20-40. When I shower I think I'm going bald. If I rush and pull out hair...I think I'm going bald. If my hair catches on something and Yanks out a few hair's ....again...I think I'm going bald. But my hair seems to have the same density all time. But as others have said it's very individual. But I'd guess most people don't lose 100 hair's a day. Maybe 30-70.

ExpectoPatronum
December 5th, 2016, 03:12 PM
If you want to know an exact amount, count the number of hairs you shed in a day.

It's going to be different for everyone which is why there are only averages posted on websites.

FullofGrace
December 5th, 2016, 03:50 PM
I think I lose way higher than the stated average amount of hair. Sometimes I wonder how I'm not bald with the amount of hair I pile up on the shower wall and pull out of hairbrushes. I do almost always have my hair up and feel that might be why since the hairs aren't falling out unnoticed. I'm sure I still lose way more than average but I measure 3 inch for pony. And I now will monitor this to see. It will be interesting to me.

Annalouise
December 5th, 2016, 06:03 PM
The figure that scientists arrive at, 100 hairs a day, is based off the telogen phase. Scientists do not know how many follicles of hair there are on a head. It is interesting that the bible says that God knows the number of hairs on your head. This is interesting because science doesn't know that. Anyways, if roughly 10% of your follicles are in the telogen phase, then based on that, they average 100 hairs per day will naturally shed.
Of course, this will vary as some people will have more hair follicles than others. That is why your average will be your average. But yes, hair is always growing, and its always falling out. Don't be alarmed. :) This is just how it works.

pamela_07
December 5th, 2016, 06:37 PM
Yeah, specially since I said in a thread before that I usually don't brush my hair everyday. so when its time to wash again I see a big amount of hair due to the daily shedding accumulation. but I also have heard 100 strands shed daily.

Chromis
December 5th, 2016, 07:13 PM
Yeah, specially since I said in a thread before that I usually don't brush my hair everyday. so when its time to wash again I see a big amount of hair due to the daily shedding accumulation. but I also have heard 100 strands shed daily.

Ah, but that quote is for an average rate of hairfall per cycle, whereas you are interested in per day, which is an instantaneous rate of change: http://clas.sa.ucsb.edu/staff/lee/secant,%20tangent,%20and%20derivatives.htm

Mimha
December 6th, 2016, 05:05 AM
A lot of websites say 100, 150, others say 50, so I want to know the exact most common amount!

Hi Pamela.

Maybe this answer of mine (given some time ago to a similar question) will give you some more information about it, as I have followed up my own shedding pattern over a whole year. It may sound crazy but it is so far the most trustable answer I have got about it :

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139251&page=2&p=3281422&viewfull=1#post3281422