PDA

View Full Version : Hair chalk ideas (brand, technique, colors) for med-dark brunette hair

winship2
December 4th, 2016, 09:57 PM
Hi everyone,

I find myself in a new and unexpected phase in life, and that means it's time to play with hair! I saw a woman today with lighter brunette hair who had colored it beautifully with hair chalk. Can anyone recommend ways to use these on darker brunette hair? I have slight reddish tones, hip length, 1b-c, sideswept bangs. Hair is pretty strong and healthy, so not overly worried about damage.

I'm not experienced with colors or really with doing anything to my hair, but I would love to have a little drama-- with my hair only this time, done with the drama in the rest of my life!

OhSuzi
December 6th, 2016, 05:39 AM
Experiment!

I’ve got hair chalks. They actually just look like chalk sticks (about £10 off ebay for a set of 12 different colours – no specific brand).
They don’t go on your hair unless you wet them and you’re better off using them on their side for maximum colour strength and coverage – holding them the way you hold a pencil will get you nowhere.
Plus once they are wet they are more likely to snap in half – but once you’ve got 2 smaller halves they’re too small to snap again.
Some colours barely show up on dark hair – so you’ll just have to try em out & see – I found that yellow & pastel pink did not show up (on my dark brown hair)– but solid blue & bright pink looked great.
I’d get a pal to stick ‘em in for you, especially if you’re trying to do round the back.

Colouring your whole head if your hair is longer than a pixie crop would be an effort and it is extremely drying & kind of makes the hair matt and it’s going to stay in place like a sort of dusty powdery hair spray – you’ wouldn’t very easily be able to put a brush through afterwards & if you did you’d rip your hairs & lose a lot of the chalky colour.

Better of either putting your hair up e.g. in a pony tail & then just colouring in say the top of the smooth crown & maybe down some sections of the length.
Or if you’re wearing your hair down again & it’s layered, just do sections like colourful highlights or half way down hair highlights
Or if you have a blunt cut say a bob, perhaps the very last bottom inch or two all over like it’s dip dyed or the bottom half of blunt bangs.

There’s also hair chalk powder you can get in a pot you just dab your fingers & rub it in your hair – I think it’s a bit more subtle defon only useful for doing like a fringe maybe.

Or look into other semi-permanent ways of changing the colour of your hair – vegetable dyes, colour hair sprays, wigs, etc.

betterhairday
December 6th, 2016, 09:43 AM
My hair is short & white but I love using them. They are very simple to use and just as simple to wash out. I get mine from https://www.hairchalk.co.uk/ It is just a matter of trying in front of the mirror and if you don't like it wash it out. Have fun!

A couple of christmas's ago I went purple with turquoise and freaked the kids. Not sure what I will choose this year.