PDA

View Full Version : Ok I think I am measuring wrong (pics and frustration included)

Eas693
December 4th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Ok so I was so happy to have a bit of length to measure (I'm just reaching around my chin), and I researched how to do it correctly but when I measure it comes out funky.

So how I measure: I start holding the tape measure at my hairline in the middle of my forehead like this picture https://imgur.com/gallery/MS9Gq (also shows my longest length being 13 and my shorter ines at 10)

I pull it back and all the way to my ends. When I look at people's lengths and measurements chin length is around 6-10 inches based off how straight/wavy/curly your hair is... I am guessing I am around a 1c/2a (hard to tell super short) and mine comes out 13 inches!? No way my hair is that long? What am I doing wrong?!? My shorter pieces are around 10.5 and they are around my ears?

I just want to measure properly please help me

lapushka
December 4th, 2016, 04:50 PM
You're measuring correctly. Not everyone's head is the same size. :p ;)

Nique1202
December 4th, 2016, 05:13 PM
When you see a measurement of 6 inches or so for chin length, that's someone measuring the length of an individual hair from the top of the head down. When you measure from the front hairline back over the head, you're not measuring the length of an individual hair strand, you're getting a sort of average measurement for the total length down your back.

As a comparison, because I trimmed my pixie up into a bob and skipped the mullet, my over-the-head measurement stayed 14 inches until I got past chin length. Does that make sense? Because the hair in the back never grew past the nape of my neck, so that measurement didn't effectively change even though an individual strand on top of my head might have gone from 2 inches to 8 or 9, and no single strand of my hair was 14 inches at any point there.

Measuring a single hair's length can be inconsistent because every hair might be a slightly different length and you can never guarantee that you're measuring the same one each time. Some people prefer to do it that way regardless. But, the over the top method will give a more consistent measurement because you can place the tape at the same place every single time and you're measuring the total average length instead of a single unreliable strand, and that all means you'll have a better point of comparison to measurements you make down the road that way. That's why it's the next best thing to a LHC gold standard, as it were.

Eas693
December 4th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Lol this is very very true

Anje
December 4th, 2016, 05:58 PM
You're doing it right. The 6-10 in measurements are probably from the part and down the side, because that would make for a tiny head otherwise.

At super short lengths, the "measure from the hairline" approach doesn't make much sense. (I just buzz cut mine. Saying it's the 14 inches it measures that way, is really misleading.) But once you get to a bob, the results are more consistent then other methods of measuring.

Eas693
December 4th, 2016, 05:59 PM
When you see a measurement of 6 inches or so for chin length, that's someone measuring the length of an individual hair from the top of the head down. When you measure from the front hairline back over the head, you're not measuring the length of an individual hair strand, you're getting a sort of average measurement for the total length down your back.

As a comparison, because I trimmed my pixie up into a bob and skipped the mullet, my over-the-head measurement stayed 14 inches until I got past chin length. Does that make sense? Because the hair in the back never grew past the nape of my neck, so that measurement didn't effectively change even though an individual strand on top of my head might have gone from 2 inches to 8 or 9, and no single strand of my hair was 14 inches at any point there.

Measuring a single hair's length can be inconsistent because every hair might be a slightly different length and you can never guarantee that you're measuring the same one each time. Some people prefer to do it that way regardless. But, the over the top method will give a more consistent measurement because you can place the tape at the same place every single time and you're measuring the total average length instead of a single unreliable strand, and that all means you'll have a better point of comparison to measurements you make down the road that way. That's why it's the next best thing to a LHC gold standard, as it were.

Thank you for he details. I'm glad I am doing it in a more consistent way. I feel so much less lost now!

You're measuring correctly. Not everyone's head is the same size. :p ;)
Very good point!

FullofGrace
December 4th, 2016, 06:06 PM
I'm glad you posted this. Especially the where to start picture. Good reference, thank you

Eas693
December 4th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Glad I could help others who may be confused. I thought I was losing my mind today