PDA

View Full Version : *For Fun* What's the WORST Thing for Hair?

cassandraj
December 3rd, 2016, 01:32 PM
This is just for fun :)

In your opinion, what's the absolute worst thing someone can do to their hair? What makes you cringe to think about?

Sarahlabyrinth
December 3rd, 2016, 01:34 PM
Piling it all on top of their head and scrubbing away at it to shampoo it... (cringe)

Mrstran
December 3rd, 2016, 01:35 PM
Bleach! This just destroys the hair. I'm traumatized :(

Serimel
December 3rd, 2016, 01:39 PM
I hate it when someone brushes their hair violently and I can hear the hair snapping. Chills.

littlestarface
December 3rd, 2016, 01:43 PM
Bleach and when people use blow dryers/heat tools *cringe city* I can just imagine the hairs crying and dying. Oh yes and brushing the hair when I hear snaps *CRINGE*

mizukitty
December 3rd, 2016, 01:44 PM
I hate it when someone brushes their hair violently and I can hear the hair snapping. Chills.

This!!! It literally sends a chill down my spine. Or when they start at the top and RIP down in an unbroken, swift pull. The horror.

FullofGrace
December 3rd, 2016, 01:50 PM
I agree with ripping a comb or brush through and hearing hair break and I will add letting your cat chew on it, which is something my daughter does.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 3rd, 2016, 01:51 PM
It's difficult to think of mistreating hair and fun in the same sentence :)

ephemeri
December 3rd, 2016, 01:53 PM
Back combing or teasing always makes me cringe!!

lapushka
December 3rd, 2016, 02:06 PM
Overprocessing with either dye, bleach, or heat. That is just terrible and can have pretty bad consequences for the hair.

cassandraj
December 3rd, 2016, 02:21 PM
I agree with ripping a comb or brush through and hearing hair break and I will add letting your cat chew on it, which is something my daughter does.

Her cat chews on her hair? :/ My sister used to let her kids wrap their hands with her hair and then suck on it :|

littlestarface
December 3rd, 2016, 02:24 PM
Her cat chews on her hair? :/ My sister used to let her kids wrap their hands with her hair and then suck on it :|

My moms kittens did that to me too when my braid was hanging down, they slap it and grab n chew lol i'd scream noooooo and they climb up my braid even the big cats. Gotta love cats!

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 3rd, 2016, 02:24 PM
Bleach, it makes me sick lol

Garnetgem
December 3rd, 2016, 02:25 PM
Many things but when someone uses hot irons when your in their company and that smell and hiss it makes as the hair melts...i flinch at every hiss!

Nique1202
December 3rd, 2016, 02:34 PM
I try not to care what anyone does with their hair for the sake of styling (bleach, heat styling, backcombing, etc.) because people do some really beautiful things through those damaging means and it's up to them if they want to have damaged hair for the sake of what they think is beautiful.

What really gets me is people who start brushing from the roots and rip the brush through their tangles. THERE'S NO NEED OF IT! There's literally no need to do it that way except sheer laziness and/or ignorance. Even if you want to detangle using a brush instead of taking your time with a comb and/or your fingers, brushing the ends first, then halfway up, then the full length doesn't take that much longer and will keep the hair in MUCH better condition for very little extra commitment!

spidermom
December 3rd, 2016, 04:02 PM
Re-perming a year after the first perm. Guess how I know? But the absolute worst in my mind is candle cutting hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX4_PU4-bEw

Lizzie.torp
December 3rd, 2016, 04:16 PM
I've seen people tease their hair then brush it all out with a fine toothed comb. I can't imagine doing that.

RebekahE
December 3rd, 2016, 04:37 PM
Teasing. And back combing braids (yes, braids).

irishsapphire
December 3rd, 2016, 04:43 PM
Re-perming a year after the first perm. Guess how I know? But the absolute worst in my mind is candle cutting hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX4_PU4-bEw

OH MY WORD

I'm going to have nightmares over that.... REALLY??? WHAT ON EARTH????

Llama
December 3rd, 2016, 04:49 PM
Teasing/backcombing all the way down the length of the hair
Hair extensions
Bleach/Overprocessing
Excessive heat use

Rhoward
December 3rd, 2016, 05:01 PM
Using bleach or high lift tint colours after indigo! ARHHHH the madness!

turtlelover
December 3rd, 2016, 05:23 PM
Bleach and straightening all the time, along with dyeing and re-dyeing over and over.

Acid
December 3rd, 2016, 05:25 PM
echoing others when i say ripping right through the hair in one sweep from top to bottom violently without even holding the top of your hair to protect it being ripped out the roots, especially when it makes that loud KRRRRR KRRR KRRRR ripping sound and you can see a hairball forming on the brush from what theyve just done.

That leads onto my other one; when people pull the splits in half so it rips up the shaft!I knew someone at my old job who regularly did this as her logic was that it would double her thickness due to having twice the amount of hairs and she refused to listen to reason :(

finally, passing over the same piece of hair 5 or 6 times with a straightener until it gets that fried, greasy melted plastic look and steam or smoke faintly comes off the straighteners

LaísB
December 3rd, 2016, 05:43 PM
I think that, for me at least, the worst thing someone can do with hair is straighteing with a flat iron when wet, I feel bad just thinking about it...

Goddessa
December 3rd, 2016, 05:52 PM
When you realize you have done *all* of this at one point or another... 😅

diddiedaisy
December 3rd, 2016, 06:20 PM
I used to have a cat that would massage my head. It was bliss, even listening to the snapping couldn't distract me from the zen zone it would put me in haha

For me the worst thing is heat, if I ever use straighteners or curling wands I get those white dots.

Llama
December 3rd, 2016, 06:31 PM
I used to have a cat that would massage my head. It was bliss, even listening to the snapping couldn't distract me from the zen zone it would put me in haha

My cat licks my head (like he is grooming me lol). Feels sooooo good on my scalp. I assume your cat had been declawed if his massaging felt good? :p

dancedance
December 3rd, 2016, 07:16 PM
That leads onto my other one; when people pull the splits in half so it rips up the shaft!I knew someone at my old job who regularly did this as her logic was that it would double her thickness due to having twice the amount of hairs and she refused to listen to reason :(

What???!?! I have never seen or heard of that before, good lord.

Bleach, rough brushing, and straightening wet hair multiple times are all horrible. But I'm gonna say bleaching is the worst, especially if it's for some pastel candy color or that platinum "silver" blonde, only because they need to be recolored so often.

I also have to mention, people with extremely long hair, like knee length, for whom loose is their standard, every day style, seem to me to be serious risk takers. Maybe I'm just paranoid because I've never had hair that long, but I envision walking down the street on a windy evening, and some car catches a chunk as it passes...

wispe
December 3rd, 2016, 07:56 PM
Snapping of hair when brushing, backcombing, heat-styling on wet hair all make me cringe so bad. Bleach over already-fried hair- I never minded my hair after the first bleach but subsequent re-bleachings really did a number on the integrity of my hair. Especially as it was already gone straight-up white to begin with, so didn't need to get any lighter, I was just dumb about it! I kind of like that "pastel candy color" needs recolored so often it gives me control of what shade my hair is (and w/ semis, there's no additional damage when coloring, at least). But yep, it can also be super inconvenient if one doesn't plan on changing colors frequently, or if your hair shaft gets stained a color you no longer want. BTW not an attack on you, dancedance, just that reading 'pastel candy color' made me laugh!

ETA; wait people actually purposefully pull their splits apart?? now that's cringeworthy.

Katia_k
December 3rd, 2016, 09:01 PM
Ripping through hair with a brush after swimming. Oh the snapping... (this is something I used to do...after leaving my hair up in a wet bun all day after practice I'd take it down and rip through it...it's a miracle to me now that my hair ever stayed BSL).

Borgessa
December 3rd, 2016, 09:42 PM

That scared me as i've watched Nikki and few times, her (boho braids tutorials, and well she just never seemed bat **** crazy...) I was so relieved to find out she wasn't that stupid lol.

vampyyri
December 3rd, 2016, 09:53 PM
Bleach and heat... and those horrible at home keratin straightening treatments. I had one of those once upon a time, and had to straighten the treatment in. My hair REEKED of wet dog for months every time it got wet! Nope!

cassandraj
December 3rd, 2016, 10:39 PM
When you realize you have done *all* of this at one point or another... 😅

Right?! :shudder:

LadyCelestina
December 3rd, 2016, 11:56 PM
Bleach and heat... and those horrible at home keratin straightening treatments. I had one of those once upon a time, and had to straighten the treatment in. My hair REEKED of wet dog for months every time it got wet! Nope!

Had you not mentioned I wouldn't have thought of it myself, but yes keratin treatments are pretty scary. I know some people do them and have great hair, and maybe they are not that bad, but from what I heard I would be terrified to do them myself.

I think the worst thing is that some people do all these (and often happen to be your roomate so you see it and your little lhc soul screams :D ) - rip brush through bleached hair, straighten, then rip brush again and hairspray...

Serimel
December 4th, 2016, 12:20 AM

This is insane! I thought it was gonna be one of those infamous youtube fail videos where her head would burst into flames. Thank God she didn't go through with it, my heart was about to stop. XD Can't believe some people really do that...

catmashie
December 4th, 2016, 12:37 AM
I see heat as the devil when it comes to hair. I used to use heat daily and you could definately see it in my hair. Never going back to that! :doh:

Serimel
December 4th, 2016, 12:48 AM
Had you not mentioned I wouldn't have thought of it myself, but yes keratin treatments are pretty scary. I know some people do them and have great hair, and maybe they are not that bad, but from what I heard I would be terrified to do them myself.

I think the worst thing is that some people do all these (and often happen to be your roomate so you see it and your little lhc soul screams :D ) - rip brush through bleached hair, straighten, then rip brush again and hairspray...

Yup, about keratin treatments... had one done to myself just a few months prior to my wedding encouraged by my mom who said my hair would be so nice and silky in the wedding. I was a bit skeptical but when she even offered to pay for it I couldn't say no. One of the many worst things I ever did to my hair. There were two people doing my hair, one experienced in these treatments managing the right side and one as a student following the instructions on the left side. The student on the left side was ripping my hair and doing everything else quite violently too while I couldn't even notice the pro working on the right. After the treatment the student wanted to still try some new automatic curling equipment on my hair which I was very reluctant to do since the hair was now nicely straight and smooth. Somehow she convinced me anyway. After an hour from the treatment I reached home and checked myself in the mirror. The curls on the right side were silky and already weighed down almost straight. The curls on the left side on the other hand persisted and when I felt my hair with fingers it was so brittle and utterly burned, I could already see some chemical cut in it. When I pulled the curls straight my left side was almost 5 cm shorter than the other side. I still have that damaged hair in my length and my left side is much thinner and cuts more easily. Right side is not perfect either and went through damage too but I'm still shocked by the difference same treatment done by two different persons can result in.

animetor7
December 4th, 2016, 01:09 AM
Overprocessing of hair is the worst I think, because you're directly damaging it's integrity and it's very easy to overdo it and have your hair literally melt. I have a few friends who insist on bleaching their hair multiple times, using heat almost daily, and cleansing with harsh sulfates daily all while claiming they want to grow their hair out. It drives me absolutely batty!!! Especially because they keep asking me how I've gotten my hair to hip length so quickly (twice in the last year after a chop to BSL) and have it be healthy. It's been the same answer for years, wash more infrequently and use gentle methods, use oil if your ends feel bad, and no heat or chemical processing, but for some reason they seem not to believe me, continue with the damaging habits and then complain when their hair won't grow. :justy: I've given up on trying to explain and just answer with very few details and try to change the topic when they get into "My hair won't grow, it's genetics working against me!!!" mode. I mean sure, some people have a short terminal length, but they're exceedingly rare, and I think it's best to make sure you've quit all damaging or potentially damaging habits before declaring that your hair won't grow.

Sorry, that turned into sort of a rant, but yeah, overprocessing with either chemicals or heat are the worst IMHO.

FullofGrace
December 5th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Maybe he's grooming her, who knows. But he runs it through his mouth when laying down with her and seems to make chewing motions. :)

ExpectoPatronum
December 5th, 2016, 05:49 PM
I think bleach is the worst. I wish it wasn't because I'd love to bleach my hair lighter so I could do bright colors. However, literally the only thing that has stopped me is that I don't want to destroy my hair.

diddiedaisy
December 5th, 2016, 07:48 PM
My cat licks my head (like he is grooming me lol). Feels sooooo good on my scalp. I assume your cat had been declawed if his massaging felt good? :p

No, we don't declaw cats over here in the UK. The claws were what made it sooo good, but also sooo damaging!!!!

littlestarface
December 5th, 2016, 07:55 PM
No, we don't declaw cats over here in the UK. The claws were what made it sooo good, but also sooo damaging!!!!

Oh yea very much agreed!

triumphator!
December 5th, 2016, 08:55 PM
The worst thing I ever did was wear my hair down and drive down the highway in a Jeep with the roof off!

Kome
December 5th, 2016, 11:40 PM
I once read that honey and banana were good for your hair, so I mixed them together and put it in my hair. Worst. Idea. Ever. It took me over an hour to get the chunks of banana out of my hair. Horrible. Obviously, I had tried to moosh up the banana, but being that it didn't all moosh up, there were chunks in the mix. I guess I thought the honey would soak in, but it didn't. I'll never do that again! Lol.

Mimha
December 6th, 2016, 04:44 AM
Hair-"dressers" are quite an interesting option if you want to get your hair traumatized. They know how to use the whole panoply of torture tools better than anyone else.

Llama
December 7th, 2016, 01:30 AM

Oh yea very much agreed!

What?! OW! That doesn't hurt? Although, my cat's claws might just be a lot sharper than yours since I don't trim them. I guess that's a possibility lol.

Adorkable One
December 7th, 2016, 02:29 AM
Sleeping without a sleep bonnet. Friction has been the worst thing for my hair. Worse than heat and bleach. Silk bonnets have made such monumental differences in the health of my hair, I cringe every time I DON'T wear one. Recently, I've had issues with my shoulder, so after a long day at work, I can't lift my left arm. Thus, it becomes difficult to do anything to my hair. So I end up going to bed without putting my hair up, or covering it. I can already tell it's hurting my hair. :(

Adorkable One
December 7th, 2016, 02:31 AM

Oh god, the sound is worse than nails on a chalk board!!! I hate it. That would DESTROY my hair. My sister brushes her hair like this though, and while it's wet too. Her hair is riddled with split ends....however it's both longer and thicker than mine despite the abuse. So unfair!!!

Wavykate
December 7th, 2016, 12:24 PM
I agree with the heavy handed brushing! There was a girl on my train who had SL bleached/green hair that looked very damaged and she was yanking away with this tiny plastic thing and just ripping through it! I almost had tears in my eyes!

Another one for me, though I've never had them myself, poorly fitted or prolonged use of hair extensions. I think it can cause permanent damage to the scalp and you can lose your hair :(

LadyCelestina
December 7th, 2016, 01:11 PM
I agree with the heavy handed brushing! There was a girl on my train who had SL bleached/green hair that looked very damaged and she was yanking away with this tiny plastic thing and just ripping through it! I almost had tears in my eyes!

Another one for me, though I've never had them myself, poorly fitted or prolonged use of hair extensions. I think it can cause permanent damage to the scalp and you can lose your hair :(
Ooooh wow... I didn't know about this and had to google it and then google extensions hair damage... Why the hell do they still do to people?

Wavykate
December 7th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Ooooh wow... I didn't know about this and had to google it and then google extensions hair damage... Why the hell do they still do to people?

Yeah It's such a shame too because these girls obviously love long hair, but if only patience and a good hair care routine were encouraged instead!

MegHan-Solo
December 7th, 2016, 03:28 PM
People with hairbands on their wrist that have tonnes of hair wrapped around it that has been ripped out of their head.

KitraKatarae
December 10th, 2016, 04:25 AM
the poodle head perm! It was not my idea. I was a kid with no choice, so all those stinky chemicals on my head to give me super tight curls that were then ripped through during brushing to stretch them out. Why go through the trouble of a tight curly perm if you don't want tight curls on your kid's head?
And on that note: double processing also gives me the heebie jeebies. Color and perm in one day? Eeeks!
Hair dryer on permed hair. It's like the perm smell never left, it was unlocked again with every hair dryer use.

The Air Curler! I've never used it, I just watched Youtuber Grav3yardgirl try it and I laughed so hard! Put your hair in a plastic bucket and blast it with hot air while it rams against the bucket and theoretically gets twisty! Oh, Bunny herself is funny too.

Those weird curling things that suck your hair inside the machine.

Stepo_NiNha
December 11th, 2016, 12:42 PM
2 words: burn it (before cutting) :D