PDA

View Full Version : Time to dry

FullofGrace
December 3rd, 2016, 11:51 AM
I am just new to growing my air out and was very excited to read the hair typing guide. Well right now I am in the middle of my hair typing experiment and it has been an hour and a half and my hair is still wet. I don't ever pay attention to how long it takes my hair to dry as I put it up in a scrunchie every day while wet and then don't worry about it. When up in the scrunchie most of it stays damp all day. Is that a problem if I put it up wet and it stays wet all day? Is it normal for hair that is down to take so long to air dry? Although I am now hair typing as we speak I would say I am probably a 1 of some sort with fine or medium strands and maybe thin to average amount by guessing and length is just past shoulders. This seems like a long time to have wet hair. Is this normal? Thank you:confused:

littlestarface
December 3rd, 2016, 11:53 AM
Lol yea normal.

pili
December 3rd, 2016, 11:55 AM
Mine takes anywhere from six to eight hours to dry, depending on the humidity.

Arctic
December 3rd, 2016, 12:01 PM
Yeah it's normal. Usually if you for example comb it, or fluff it while it's wet, it makes the drying faster, but with hair typing that's a no-no so it can take hours to dry, even with shorter and thinner hair. I would expect at least 2-3 hours with your stats, but these are also very individual, and hair thickness, porosity, products used, (any handling/manipulating) and the climate affect the time a lot.

Good luck!

ETA: oh yes, some people say that allowing hair to remain wet/damp for too long causes damage/weakening over time. This is something that can be seen on laboratory tests. But many people damp bun all the time with no ill effects, so to me it seems like the laboratory results might not translate to real life in a meaningful way. Again, it's very individual what your hair likes and doesn't like - some people can't stand damp bunning.

lapushka
December 3rd, 2016, 12:08 PM
If I would let it completely air dry, my hair would need 8+ hours, so no... that's not the greatest. If it stays wet 24/7, then that is something to question as there is such a thing as hygral fatigue. It's better to let it get dry in between, or else stretch your washes more.

FullofGrace
December 3rd, 2016, 12:29 PM
This web site is such a good resource filled with lovely, helpful people. :)