PDA

View Full Version : Log roll, french roll and Gibson help needed updp ferder here

SHELIAANN1969
October 21st, 2008, 05:21 PM
I cannot get them right and can't seem to do them the same way twice.

This is not too bad, but I cannot get it to do this again?
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/SHELIAANN1969/notabadroll.jpg

logroll/ french roll different view
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/SHELIAANN1969/logtry2-1.jpg

I cannot get the Gibson tuck down, I take my hair, ponytail, separate, roll har, and it never ends up the same.
Of course my sister put too much oil in my hair so I am slick tonight-

This is crooked
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/SHELIAANN1969/crooked.jpg

This shows the band
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/SHELIAANN1969/gibsonattempt.jpg

I looked under the how to's, I just can't get my hair to roll into the pocket. Any tips or video links?

FrannyG
October 21st, 2008, 05:39 PM
Your log rolls look just fine to me. :thumbsup: I think you've outgrown the Gibson Tuck though, perhaps. Even with my relatively fine hair, I can't tuck all of my hair in much past BSL.

SHELIAANN1969
October 22nd, 2008, 06:00 AM
Your log rolls look just fine to me. :thumbsup: I think you've outgrown the Gibson Tuck though, perhaps. Even with my relatively fine hair, I can't tuck all of my hair in much past BSL.

Ohhhhhh, I was wondering why I couldnt get all the hair to stay in!

I will work on log rolls then, thanks Franny!

I love the Gibson Tuck, it's so pretty, sniff sniff.

Now if I can only get the log roll down, I tried for so long my arms were tired, lol.

frizzinator
October 22nd, 2008, 07:27 AM
The Gibson tuck can be done with long hair, but it requires a lot more time and creative thinking.

Hair scroos are the easiest way to hold the hair inside your Gibson tuck. I use a ponytail elastic band the same color as my hair. One way to hide the band is when you are holding your hair in place (while the band is still hidden), while inserting the comb, insert one of the comb's prongs through the band (it keeps the comb from falling out as well as helps to keep the band hidden).

While these things help, the Gibson tuck still requires a lot of practice when your hair is long. A similar look that might be easier to achieve is making 2 low and short french twists, rolled in opposite directions, with the rolls meeting and facing each other.

The log roll is so easy that I must force myself not to wear it everyday. Loop your hair around 2 fingers (index and middle fingers), then wrap the length around the loop while your fingers are still in the loop. After you have wrapped all of the tail around, if it seems too loose, you can twist your fingers (this twist can also help to hide the ends if they are sticking out).

My favorite way to hold the log roll is with a couple of Wavelength pins inserted near the top, catching some scalp hair before exiting through an area where the tail is wrapped around.

If I use a Ficcare, I try to attach the top of the log roll to my head, because it is usually impossible to get the Ficcare around the middle (biggest part of the log roll). While I'm attaching the top of the log roll to my head, I also try to get a part of the wrapped tail into the clip for extra security (including the tail ends if possible, but including the ends may or may not be necessary to get a secure hold).

Here is my Gibson Tuck, made with hair scroos inside and one of the comb's prongs is inside the band.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/5808041-1.jpg

Here is my log roll held with a Ficcare. Notice how the clip is near the top and it holds only a little of the wrapped hair.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/2100-1.jpg

amaiaisabella
October 22nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
I LOVE that comb! Something like that would overwhelm my wee fine hair :( I love the log roll style too! At least you have the hair capability for it :)

Anje
October 22nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Any more Gibson Tuck tips? Mine always seem to have loops of hair popping out the bottom, but I still like the style.

Islandgrrl
October 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
SheliaAnn, your log roll/french roll looks really nice. :)

Gibson, well, I can't even do it at BSL, I have too much hair. :(

frizzinator
October 22nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
Long hair is difficult to stuff into the Gibson tuck "pocket". Rolling the tail up before stuffing helps a lot. Other LHC members have described it as making a "package" with your hair before stuffing it. I think this description might refer to hairs going in more than one direction.

For example, roll the tail half-way in one direction, then turn the "package" and finish rolling in another direction. Having the "package" hairs laying in two different directions helps the scroos hold the "package" in the "pocket". Plus, be sure to catch some scalp hair in the scroos.

susiemw
October 22nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
oooohhhhhhh! the gibson tuck looks lovely.
This is a new one for me.

Susan
going to look up directions!

Alethia
October 22nd, 2008, 02:03 PM
I have a theory that there is an optimum thickness and length of hair to do these styles. I have never ever been able to do a good-looking French roll. I think this has to do with having fairly thin hair - there isn't enough scalp hair to smooth over the bulk of hair beneath it. I haven't tried to do a Gibson tuck, though I imagine I'd have the same problem with that. I did see a variation of the Gibson tuck done with a topsy tail tool, then the resulting ponytail was pulled up, pinned in the middle, then the loose tail was coiled round - an infinity bun or similar to hide the pins. I think I could get that to work with my long skinny hair. Maybe that would work for you if you fashioned each side of the infinity bun with half your hair? I'm probably not explaining myself well, sorry.

LeaM07
October 22nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
How about making a faux Gibson Tuck using the Topsy Tail technique?

Make a ponytail. Topsy Tail it. Topsy again, and repeat until you run out of hair or have a sufficiently small amount that you can tuck in and hide behind the fork.

It won't look quite the same, but you might have better luck than I did getting it to look neat (it's not particularly fairy tail-friendly).

Akiko
October 22nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
My hair is so much shorter. So my advice may not be that helpful. Anyway, I make a ponytail. Right before finishing a ponytail, I don't pull my hair all the way through an elastic band, just half way so that I have a loop and a tail. Does it make sense? I am having trouble composing in English right now.:mad:

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/kurupika/22.jpghttp://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/kurupika/27.jpg

Then I make a pocket above the base of my ponytail and tuck in the loop and tail in the pocket. Making a loop seems to prevent hair from popping out from the bottom.

frizzinator
October 22nd, 2008, 02:56 PM
Akiko, your description makes perfect sense.

Your hair is gorgeous, and it looks like it might be thicker than ii.

Akiko
October 22nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Thank you, frizzinator! I don't have much confidence in my English ability. Oh, my hair might be thicker than ii? I have to ask my DH to help me measure!!

SHELIAANN1969
October 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
SheliaAnn, your log roll/french roll looks really nice. :)

Gibson, well, I can't even do it at BSL, I have too much hair. :(

Thanks, I couldn't get it to do it again though!! I was so po'd! Oh well, I will try and try untill I master it. It is a wonderful look and held like a rock! :)

Krifantasy
October 22nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
I just tried the Gibson style when I got home and I love it! I styled it a lot looser than frizzinator did in her pic above, but I do not have that lovely straight hair. Mine is fairly curly and never lays flat so mine is poofier, but I think I have finally found the alternative updo for my hair besides the cinnabun. Thanks for posting all the advice and pics for the Gibson!

jessie58
October 22nd, 2008, 08:26 PM
My hair is so much shorter. So my advice may not be that helpful. Anyway, I make a ponytail. Right before finishing a ponytail, I don't pull my hair all the way through an elastic band, just half way so that I have a loop and a tail. Does it make sense? I am having trouble composing in English right now.:mad:

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/kurupika/22.jpghttp://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/kurupika/27.jpg

Then I make a pocket above the base of my ponytail and tuck in the loop and tail in the pocket. Making a loop seems to prevent hair from popping out from the bottom.

Well I certainly found that helpful, thank you Akiko.

Elphie
October 22nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Akiko, thanks for helping me understand it. I think I can do it with those directions!

truepeacenik
October 22nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
SheliaAnn,
I can pull off a gibson for a short period of time (3-5 hrs) with the "package" method and...TWO combs (actually small forks used sideways).

I think I know where you got those awesome combs, and I'd want to Gibson to show 'em off, too!

jessie58
October 22nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
I think that a Gibson needs a bit smaller comb. With a Gibson tuck, there is already a lot of pomp and circumstance that comes with the hairdo itself. A simpler comb might help keep it in place and show off the intended style.

SHELIAANN1969
October 23rd, 2008, 06:45 AM
Thanks ladies, I have figured out, I think I do have too much hair for a Gibson :(

But I will work on mastering the french twist/ or a log roll.

Those combs will rock that! I love the Old Worldly look of the Gibson, but I didn't realize I should have been trying that out last year! haha, Oh well a few days late and a dollar short on that one.

It sucks, but worse come to worse, I'll crank out my messy bun and shove thet comb in there, I can still display her/ them proudly!

snowbear
October 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks ladies, I have figured out, I think I do have too much hair for a Gibson
I found that the case with my iii hair. I've noticed that with a few styles I have to wait until my hair is longer than average, to account for the extra volume. I've never been able to do a proper Gibson, though.

SHELIAANN1969
October 23rd, 2008, 02:33 PM
I found that the case with my iii hair. I've noticed that with a few styles I have to wait until my hair is longer than average, to account for the extra volume. I've never been able to do a proper Gibson, though.

What really sucks is, when I found TLHC and all the lovely do's and products that opened up a whole new world for me, that was the time I could have done the Gibson tuck, now I'm just outta luck!

It's kind of funny really, haha!

intothemist1999
February 6th, 2010, 06:38 PM
The log roll is so easy that I must force myself not to wear it everyday. Loop your hair around 2 fingers (index and middle fingers), then wrap the length around the loop while your fingers are still in the loop. After you have wrapped all of the tail around, if it seems too loose, you can twist your fingers (this twist can also help to hide the ends if they are sticking out).

I'm so glad I found this! I just tried it, and it worked much better than the other way I was doing it!

I just put a Ficarre in and it's holding so much better then the cinnabun that also needed a bunch of bobbypins (I hate that).

THANKS!!

Neoma
February 7th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I can't do a decent log roll to save my life. I've got plenty of hair, and it's long enough. But I end up with a log blob every time. :(

Chamomile betty
February 7th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Very beautiful styles.
Your hair is lovely.

rupunzlemom
February 7th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I am kind of new here and need some help......first of all what is scroos? Can someone explain how to do a Gibson or send me to the link that has instructions? It is beautiful and I would dearly love to be able to do one. Thanks so much.

Cheeks1206
February 7th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I have no advice (it seems you've got all you need already), but I wanted to say I love your color, SHELIAANN1969! The hairstyles are very lovely as well. Good luck replicating them!

ravenreed
February 7th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I think they mean hair scroos or hair screws. I have a few sets and they work well. Like these:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=39853231

Gibson tuck:

http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Simple-Victorian-Hairstyle

Sadly, my hair is WAY too long for a Gibson tuck. I keep hoping I will find some magic secret of success, but no matter how I try it, my pony is always much larger than my pocket.

I am kind of new here and need some help......first of all what is scroos? Can someone explain how to do a Gibson or send me to the link that has instructions? It is beautiful and I would dearly love to be able to do one. Thanks so much.

rupunzlemom
February 8th, 2010, 07:00 PM
ravenreed........thank you for the links and explanation. I think my hair may be to short yet for a Gibson.