PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I am new and need hair help

artiom
December 2nd, 2016, 04:21 PM
I am Artiom and I am 16. I have been growing my hair for more than 3 years now since my mom finally let me start growing it long. I love having my hair long and want to keep growing longer. I have not had any trims but I think I need to trim now as my ends don't look as good and I read that some trims are good. I wanted to know how much to ask the hairdresser to cut or if I really need to cut my hair.

https://s18.postimg.org/if7u5k915/90870982.jpg
Here is me when I was just starting get long hair.

https://s18.postimg.org/ufta6agft/881494.jpg

And this is my hair now.

https://s18.postimg.org/o0u99m9q1/098273405.jpg

And here is me with a pony tail since I wear it like that most.

Obsidian
December 2nd, 2016, 05:44 PM
You have awesome hair, looks really great on you. The ends don't look bad at all, I wouldn't take off more then 1" or so. Make sure you explain very thoroughly the exact amount you want removed, hairdressers are notorious for cutting too much. I'll even suggest finding a barber, they are often better at listening to the client.

pamrlyn
December 2nd, 2016, 06:00 PM
Hi Artiom :waving:

That is a gorgeous head of hair you have there! trimming is not really necessary, but if you want an even hem line, or there is a lot of damage at the ends you might want to. totally up to you. There are directions on here somewhere, on how to trim your own hair. and on how to Search & Destroy (S&D) split ends, yourself.

If you go to a hair dresser - try to find someone that actually likes long hair. Then be very specific in telling the person what you want them to do. There are lots of sad stories about a trim becoming a chop, at the hair salon.

Check out these links for more information:

Feye's Self Trim instructions (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/)
Search & Destroy Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128399&page=4)

best of luck to you!

Pam

Wildcat Diva
December 2nd, 2016, 07:27 PM
You and you hair are VERY beautiful. If I had your ends, I would let them grow a little while yet. They look fine. When you get a trim, you must be very firm that you want only one inch (or whatever) off, and no layers or anything, I used a barber, and they were good at doing just what I asked.

You may want to try buns with hair sticks sometimes, to give your hair a break from ponytail holders so often. We can help you with that. YouTube is your friend. You can try some of my hair tutorials at my YouTube channel.

Good luck and welcome!

lithostoic
December 2nd, 2016, 07:40 PM
Fantastic! If my ends looked like yours I wouldn't trim them.

Borgessa
December 2nd, 2016, 07:48 PM
Your hair looks great i would give a quick trim just to keep it even and stop any scragglies appearing. I would go for a half inch trim. I wonder if your Mom would trim it for you, rather than a hairdresser, I never trust them, they always take too much, they have opinions they like to inflict on others lol.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 2nd, 2016, 07:52 PM
Your hair looks wonderful just as it is, but if you do want to trim, I think an inch or less would be all you need. If you have a hairdresser do it, be very specific and show them exactly how much you want off. They can be very scissor-happy.

And welcome to the LHC!:)

turtlelover
December 2nd, 2016, 11:15 PM
I'd trim maybe an inch. Your hair is gorgeous! :-) I'd recommend learning to self trim if possible, unless you can find a hairdresser that you truly trust.

artiom
December 2nd, 2016, 11:54 PM
Thank you for responding! I will not trim then since most say I don't need to right now and I don't really want to cut any. My mom has just been telling me to trim for a while and I thought I needed to. Also thank you for complimenting it! Many people like it now, but a lot still criticize me because I'm a boy which is stupid since a lot of boys and men have long hair now. I am also trying to learn new styles, but I only use them by myself right now since people tell me I look like a girl when I do a bun and I can't do good braids yet.

Serimel
December 3rd, 2016, 12:11 AM
Wow! Your hair looks so gorgeous and healthy. <3 If you don't have split ends in the hemline, I wouldn't touch it. Otherwise just some dusting.

lapushka
December 3rd, 2016, 03:50 AM
Check out these links for more information:

Feye's Self Trim instructions (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/)
Search & Destroy Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128399&page=4)

best of luck to you!

Pam

I see Pam already linked you to the instructions by Feye! They are awesome. Do read it all, from a basic blunt cut to a U, to a V, then decide what you want. You really don't need to take that much off if your hair is in good condition, and I think it might be.

Welcome! :)

Borgessa
December 3rd, 2016, 03:57 AM
Dang shame those eyelashes on a boy!! Haha, I dunno what's some good updos for boys/men, I think a fishtail braid, one of my favs. They always look nice, I'm sure the others will have some good ideas.

TatsuOni
December 3rd, 2016, 05:14 AM
Welcome! You have very beautiful hair! :)

FullofGrace
December 3rd, 2016, 12:03 PM
I think you could totally pull off the "man bun" without it looking too feminine with the right hair accessory. Something with leather or maybe with a Native American kinda feel to it, as culturally they keep long hair without anyone saying they are too feminine. Unless a feminine look is your preference in which case, just be true to you and don't worry about the opinions of others. My rebellious fringe daughter is always telling me to "let my freak flag fly" which is a new motto I am embracing these days. Good luck

EdG
December 3rd, 2016, 12:10 PM
You don't have to do anything to improve your hair. :)

I second Wildcat Diva's suggestion to replace the ponytail with gentler buns and hairsticks. There are a lot of threads on this board about buns and hairsticks, and there are quite a few men here who wear their hair that way.
Ed

artiom
December 3rd, 2016, 02:20 PM
Thank you for complimenting my hair! I have tried hard to learn how to take good care of it. I will try have more confidence to wear a bun or a braid, but I get nervous. And people always tell me I look like my sister with a bun which makes me feel self conscious to. I still can't grow a beard at all or maybe it would be better.

Decoy24601
December 3rd, 2016, 02:24 PM
Wow, your hair is absolutely gorgeous! I really wouldn't bother trimming yet, your ends look fine to me. I would suggest looking into microtrims (taking a very small amount, maybe .25", off every once in a while).

I think long hair suits you well, so don't listen to anyone who thinks you should have shorter hair just because you're a guy.

ravenheather
December 3rd, 2016, 02:36 PM
Welcome to lhc. I agree don't worry about what others think. Do you. Here's a thread for long haired guy support.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110732

bparnell75
December 3rd, 2016, 03:42 PM
If I had your lovely hair I would not let anyone but my self touch it. Maybe a self trim in a couple of years, Hairdressers think they know best and I have rarely had one that did not take too much. You do not even have ragged edges. I would encourage you to bun it with sticks and forks when you want to put it up. ebay & etsy carry inexpensive sticks and forks as well as expensive ones. cut off and resharpen some chopsticks or buy a set of colored pencils and smooth the tips as you practice buns. I recommend you look for tutorials by Wildcatdiva, or https://www.youtube.com/user/4ypn0tica. They both have channels and do great tutorials.

Wildcat Diva
December 3rd, 2016, 06:18 PM
I'm so sorry that your eyelashes tricked me on the side shot. My husband is long haired as are most of my sons. My middle son gets mistaken for a girl a lot with his long hair, and my oldest was with me last year and we got a "you ladies" comment last winter. Don't worry about clueless people myself included who see your long hair and good looking face and don't peg you as a guy the first look. My good looking sons get very much the same. Hubby has an epic beard so yes that helps. I know hubby is sensitive about a having low ponytail (only) as that being what he wants to wear, but he will let me do buns and braids sometimes on him.

You have amazing hair.

Kirby-oh
December 4th, 2016, 01:22 AM
I never see ends with that shape, it looks great. You've got slightly shorter ends under slightly longer ends, no hairdresser will cut it that way, and it'll never be like that again haha! (no pressure to never trim it though, do what you want to do, this was just my first reaction :) )

animetor7
December 4th, 2016, 01:30 AM
I'll echo what others have said in that if you want a trim either do it yourself or be very specific in your instructions to a hair dresser, and also that at this point you probably don't need one as your ends seem fine. I'll also echo what others have said about your ponytail. Ponytails are alright at shorter lengths, but as your hair gets longer they won't be protective enough for daily wear (occasionally for fun is still fine, but it shouldn't be your go to). I'd suggest switching to a braid instead if you still want to show off the length, although a bun will be more protective still if you don't mind hiding your length some. Good luck on your long hair journey and welcome to the LHC!!

Groovy Granny
December 4th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Welcome :)

You have beautiful hair....like all our LHC guys; amazing :thud:

I would just start self micro trims using Spidermom's Under the Chin trim Method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=100495&p=2296468&viewfull=1#post2296468); just snip a little at a time.

You can also tweak it using Feye's method (or parts of it) after; someone posted the link earlier.

But IMHO you don't need one :shrug: unless the ends are split or feel rough.

Good luck; happy growing :cheer:

yvsa
December 4th, 2016, 11:03 AM
By the look of your pics your hair doesn't need a trim. Wow, you did a good job; what a beautiful mane :bowtome:.

Zebra Fish
December 4th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I'm no of much use atm, I'm just in an awwwww of your hair!! And I wouldn't worry, the man bun is popular now! Also there is that option of using a leather lace (if you like leather). I've seen guys tie it with leather lace, more times down on the pony tail (I know that has a name and it is usually done with elastics, but can't remember - hope someone will). Fishtail braid is also awesome (a little bit boring to make tho :p) - I know guys who headbang use this to prevent the fight with the whole bunch of knots once they come home.

artiom
December 5th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Thank you for the many compliments! It makes me feel really good and proud of my hair! I really like long hair, but it was hard for me to grow it and sometimes I don't feel good about it because people tease a lot and say mean things which aren't true. I will also make sure to practice doing a bun and braid so that they look good and I can wear them and not wear a ponytail so much. It is fun to try new styles, but I get embarrassed and just need to not care what other people think like you guys say.

Serimel
December 5th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Thank you for the many compliments! It makes me feel really good and proud of my hair! I really like long hair, but it was hard for me to grow it and sometimes I don't feel good about it because people tease a lot and say mean things which aren't true. I will also make sure to practice doing a bun and braid so that they look good and I can wear them and not wear a ponytail so much. It is fun to try new styles, but I get embarrassed and just need to not care what other people think like you guys say.

Yes artiom, don't let anyone else define you. And never be embarrassed of expressing yourself as you are. I know at your age it's hard to be the one standing out from the crowd but just be strong. You'll thank your younger self later. Life is too short to live by the "rules" made by others.

Still have to say your hair looks amazing and would hate to see you cut it from anyone else's will but your own and you can always come to lhc for support!

SwordWomanRiona
December 6th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Welcome to LHC :)! You have gorgeous hair, so thick and healthy-looking :thud:!
If I had that hemline, I definitely wouldn't think about trimming, it looks really thick and healthy to me, but if you're thinking about evening it out or getting rid of potential splits, I agree about the half an inch-an inch (tops, imo). My options would be either self-trim (Feye's method's great) or ask someone you trust to do it for you. Or be really specific to the hairdresser, because many of them are very scissor-friendly :S

And I second what others have said, don't let society and/or other people pressure you, you definitely don't need stupid societal stereotypes and 'rules' in your life :flower: Peer pressure is hard, especially when one is in their teens (I also kind of stood out and was picked at because of my 'longer than average' hair, and that's considering it's 'socially accepted' for me, as a woman, to have long hair - So in that particular respect men do have it worse :/) - It's hard, but just be yourself! Enjoy your hair if you like it long, you don't need to cut it or alter it for anyone!

inpatient
December 7th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Thank you for responding! I will not trim then since most say I don't need to right now and I don't really want to cut any. My mom has just been telling me to trim for a while and I thought I needed to. Also thank you for complimenting it! Many people like it now, but a lot still criticize me because I'm a boy which is stupid since a lot of boys and men have long hair now. I am also trying to learn new styles, but I only use them by myself right now since people tell me I look like a girl when I do a bun and I can't do good braids yet.

Hi artiom! I just wanted to say that your hair is simply amazing and an LHC's member dream haha! Don't listen to people that criticize you for being a long haired boy, they literally don't know what they're talking about. You should totally do cool hairstyles and share them XD

Dark40
December 7th, 2016, 07:23 PM
I am Artiom and I am 16. I have been growing my hair for more than 3 years now since my mom finally let me start growing it long. I love having my hair long and want to keep growing longer. I have not had any trims but I think I need to trim now as my ends don't look as good and I read that some trims are good. I wanted to know how much to ask the hairdresser to cut or if I really need to cut my hair.

https://s18.postimg.org/if7u5k915/90870982.jpg
Here is me when I was just starting get long hair.

https://s18.postimg.org/ufta6agft/881494.jpg

And this is my hair now.

https://s18.postimg.org/o0u99m9q1/098273405.jpg

And here is me with a pony tail since I wear it like that most.

Hi, no I honestly don't think you need a trim or a cut at all. Your ends look fine to me. Lately I've been doing some research on frizzy hair and split ends, and I have to accept the fact that my hair isn't split at all. I was just born with frizzy thick hair, and I am trying to do everything I can tame those frizzies by using deep conditioners and protein treatments but I am not using the option on using any heat on my hair for a long while. The only kind of heat I use on it these days is a hooded salon type dryer, and blow dryer but wayyyyyyyy before I blow dry my hair after washing I always let it air dry either 80% or 100% dry. Then, I blow dry it straight. Because, my hair's texture is naturally curly, and I have a relaxer in it to straighten it.