PDA

View Full Version : What do you use when recording info about your hair?

Wravyn
December 2nd, 2016, 11:23 AM
I noticed in Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice, it's suggested to keep a journal for hair growth and experiences (under Establishing A Baseline). I'm wondering: what does everyone here use to do this? (A traditional journal? An app? A blog?)

Also, any tips you might have would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Wravyn :flower:

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 11:44 AM
I use the blogs on here to track my weekly wash routine (and the products I use). Not much changes week to week, so it's mostly useful for me to see how my routine develops in the long run (it's pretty constant though)... but you never know.

I think you need a few more posts to access that feature, though. ;)

vampyyri
December 2nd, 2016, 11:46 AM
I have a projected growth timeline on a mini piece of notebook paper sitting in my purse. At the end of the month I put the final measurement next to the estimated.
Nothing fancy :p

Arctic
December 2nd, 2016, 12:15 PM
I have a blog here at LHC. It's been very helpful over time!

gracenotes
December 2nd, 2016, 05:21 PM
I have a notebook where I track growth progress, washing methods, henna mixes, styles, etc. I really like having it all on paper, and I have an index in the back so it's really easy to find everything. Sometimes I make graphs or draw pictures, so a physical notebook provides a lot of versatility!

meteor
December 2nd, 2016, 05:31 PM
I like this spreadsheet for managing growth data :) : http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=36275

Katia_k
December 2nd, 2016, 08:32 PM
I use an app called Hair Journal. It's got space for measurements, and sections for products, reviews, etc. If it's not on my phone I'll...lose it. I am probably going to start a blog though as well.

turtlelover
December 2nd, 2016, 10:21 PM
That is waaaaay too much work, and I can't imagine how much my husband would tease me if he found out I was journaling about HAIR of all things! I don't measure or worry about it that much, but maybe that is why I'm only at BSL!

FairHairedDane
December 3rd, 2016, 02:04 AM
I use a blog to keep track on growth and hairstyles that i do :)
I had the Hair Journal app, but I deleted it because it had too many adds in it. If it wasn't for that I would still be using it, it was quit good.

hannabiss
December 3rd, 2016, 09:33 AM
Yep I use an app also. Can track pics, when I wash and what I use. When I trim. What hair style I put up and what products were used. Very cool.

Mrstran
December 3rd, 2016, 11:08 AM
I use IPhone note, it's pretty easy. Each month title I have written out in bold bright colors and under I have my 3 measuring lengths for the first of each month. A current behind comparison photo with my starting length. Below that, changes in methods if any.
Then around the 15th of each month I do a mid month photo with measurements.

I also keep little notes here and there in between.

THEN..yes there is more. I have separate notes. A shopping list for products if I need any, an info note about different oils and essential oils and what benefits they have (what they do) if I need or want to switch it up.

I have trouble remembering things so everything gets noted.

Wravyn
December 3rd, 2016, 04:38 PM
Thank you, all, for sharing!

It definitely gave me a better idea on what to track. And I had not idea there was an actual hair app (so cool). And the spreadsheets idea...genius. It sounds like I might have some trial and error ahead to figure out which tracking method works best for me.

saff.cel
July 10th, 2017, 08:20 AM
Hello! I'm reviving this old thread to say that the Hair Journal app got a major facelift, and to get rid of the ads is a measly $0.99 .... I love this application, not only is it beautiful now, it has iCalendar compatibility so I can remind myself to measure my hair consistently. As some members have mentioned before, it allows you to export pictures into the application and store them on the internal calendar along with diary entries and captions. It has a place for you to log not only Shampoo, Conditioner, and Moisturizers, but also for custom fields... if you wanted to catalog your hair fork collection, this would be a A+ way to do that. The products can be rated, there's a spot for notes, and yes, even pictures! The application also has a social media piece that allows you to export to Instagram, Facebook, and twitter, although I haven't messed around with this at all. I love this application, and strongly recommend anyone who loved it in the past to give it another look. :)

Prism
July 10th, 2017, 08:10 PM
I use an app called Hair Journal. It's got space for measurements, and sections for products, reviews, etc. If it's not on my phone I'll...lose it. I am probably going to start a blog though as well.

Thanks SO much for posting this! I just downloaded it, and it looks like it'll be perfect for my needs.

Prism
July 10th, 2017, 08:12 PM
I use a blog to keep track on growth and hairstyles that i do :)
I had the Hair Journal app, but I deleted it because it had too many adds in it. If it wasn't for that I would still be using it, it was quit good.

Did you know the ad-free version costs only 99 cents?? Looks like a great app!

leayellena
July 11th, 2017, 05:09 AM
I blog about my hair, take photos for bun check, keep photos of my length check and growing out layers and breakage, I post different threads on LHC and I am happy to be part of hair up for a year challenge.