PDA

View Full Version : How often do you ACTUALLY trim?

kinnyuu
December 2nd, 2016, 10:52 AM
Just curious here!

I trim about every 6 months, sometimes sooner depending on my hemline and my goals of thickening it.

What is YOU routine? How does YOUR hair look right now?
I'm a new member *still* and can't quite figure out how to upload photos--
but my hair is near BCL, wavy/straight and floofy if I don't oil.

Trying to thicken up hemline from layers.

:blossom:

Frankenstein
December 2nd, 2016, 11:07 AM
I normally have half an inch taken off every 3 months. It's done great things for my hair.

Strands
December 2nd, 2016, 11:15 AM
I am going to not trim at all for the year of 2017, and only S&D monthly to compensate for split ends. I am hoping to gain at least 6 inches doing this. I think everyone really varies, but my plan right now is to grow to BCL, then chop to waist to eliminate my stupid layers. I am hoping to be BCL with NO layers by the year 2020. *long term goal* LOL But it should be interesting what responses you get to this question, I am sure there will be a lot of variety!

:knit:

Cg
December 2nd, 2016, 11:31 AM
I microtrim every 6 weeks to keep a neat, blunt hemline. That's probably the end point of your trim spectrum.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 11:41 AM
Well, previous to my bigger chop recently (last week), which got me from classic to hip, I maintained classic for over a year and trimmed about 2 inches off every 4 months (so all of my growth). Before that I went without trimming for 2 years. I did not need a trim, as my hair was (and is) all virgin and I had (and have) no damage.

Groovy Granny
December 2nd, 2016, 11:43 AM
I snip racers on the full moon, and trim quarterly/seasonally to maintain my hemline.

school of fish
December 2nd, 2016, 11:45 AM
I trim every month, on the new moon (not moon trimming for growth, it's just the easiest marker for me to remember ;) ). I take just a dusting for 2 months, then on the 3rd month I take a larger amount, around an inch. The inch trims are roughly timed with seasonal changes - again that's the easiest way I've found to remember to stick to my schedule.

I'm maintaining indefinitely at TBL, at the moment still waiting for layers to grow down to my hem. Once that happens I'll just keep trimming monthly to maintain the length and hemline :)

Nique1202
December 2nd, 2016, 11:46 AM
I trim...whenever I feel like my hair needs it. Last year I trimmed every 2 months until August, when I hit a stall, and then I didn't trim again for a year, then trimmed about 3 inches over the course of a month trying to find a happy place between thin ends and keeping length. Now, I don't know when I'll trim again. Maybe some time in spring, maybe not until next summer again, maybe not at all next year. I'm not committing to anything right now because it depends on how my hair looks and feels on a given day.

vampyyri
December 2nd, 2016, 11:48 AM
I haven't in a year now... I mean I probably could use a neatening up, but... nah :lol:

FallingDarkness
December 2nd, 2016, 12:06 PM
Normally get half an inch off twice a year. But I've been hardcore procrastinating on this round (should have gone in September) because I'm afraid they'll take too much off... :/

Arctic
December 2nd, 2016, 12:12 PM
I don't have schedule, sometimes I feel like trimming more often than on other times. What ever the time between my trims is, it's on the shorter side in the LHC context. I enjoy fresh end and tidy hemline more than length. :o I sometimes do actual trims, and other times just a dusting - what ever suits my fancy. Probably most of the time I trim or dust every 6 to 10 weeks or so.

ETA: I have slightly U-shaped hemline.

kinnyuu
December 2nd, 2016, 12:33 PM
Wow -- is that a recent photo of your hair in your signature?
Absolutely love the natural growth. I need to stop being so hard on myself, my ends just will never be as perfect as I want but you rock the non-straight hemline!

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 01:11 PM
Normally get half an inch off twice a year. But I've been hardcore procrastinating on this round (should have gone in September) because I'm afraid they'll take too much off... :/

Why don't you try doing it yourself? :flower: Could very well be less than they take off every time!

BeccaAngel
December 2nd, 2016, 01:13 PM
I use to trim about every 6 weeks to keep my hairstyle up. But since I'm growing my hair out again. I'll wait till its much longer before trimming again.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 2nd, 2016, 01:31 PM
I trim a quarter inch every three months. Sometimes I will extend the trim to removing racer hairs as well. I may do a one inch trim in February next year, I think it would make my ends tidier. They don't need trimming because they are unhealthy or split, just for appearance. I am yet to decide definitely about that though. One inch trims seem like such a lot, lol. I might chicken out when the time comes.

Lisa-K
December 2nd, 2016, 01:38 PM
Every two months or so. If I can stretch it to 3, then great. But as soon as I notice some split ends or some overall damage, then *chop chop* I don't cut much though. Sometimes a few centimeters, sometimes barely a few mils. Apparently I'm not cutting as much as the growth I'm getting at the roots, because despite the regular trims, my hair is consistently getting longer with time.

vampyyri
December 2nd, 2016, 01:44 PM
Wow -- is that a recent photo of your hair in your signature?
Absolutely love the natural growth. I need to stop being so hard on myself, my ends just will never be as perfect as I want but you rock the non-straight hemline!

I'm only guessing that you're referring to me :lol: (perhaps a case of the if the shoe fits, wear it)

That picture was from September, it looks much the same now, only 2" longer :p

vpatt
December 2nd, 2016, 01:52 PM
Well, I have made plans or schedules for trimming, but like many of my plans.... well....I forget, life interferes or whatever. So basically just whenever I think of it and the scissors are near. Since CO washing I don't see many splits. But if it is like most things in my life one day I will look in a mirror and gasp and be completely mortified that I have been seen in public like that and then maybe a month later I will actually trim it. It is not easy being me.

vpatt
December 2nd, 2016, 01:59 PM
I'm only guessing that you're referring to me :lol: (perhaps a case of the if the shoe fits, wear it)

I love your hair

Kake
December 2nd, 2016, 02:14 PM
I trim when I think I really need it. I have set schedules for myself, but always end up breaking them. But I'm trimming out damage every time, so it's fine. I'm happy enough with the progress I'm making.

Cherrys
December 2nd, 2016, 02:22 PM
If my ends feel too crunchy, i.e. damaged or dry, I snip them off haphazardly. So, that works out to maybe half an inch every couple of months, maybe? I am NOT picky about trims, haha

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 2nd, 2016, 02:25 PM

I have so say I am envious of your hair, it makes you want my natural color again (mine is very similar to the color you have) but I just adore your texture. Im a finey but I hope that one day my hair might look similar to yours... one day!

I trim monthly, myself, 1/4" or less on a full moon. (not that I believe in that stuff but its easier to set a schedule.)
However I think i am taking part in the no trims for 6 months/1 year. I have never tried it with healthy hair before, so I want to try it now.
Frequent trims are great, I never have splits and my hem stays thick as it grows, which is what I like. But I would love to hit my goal length before 2017 is over. So.

FallingDarkness
December 2nd, 2016, 05:03 PM
Why don't you try doing it yourself? :flower: Could very well be less than they take off every time!

I have 0 clue how to cut my own hair, and would probably butcher it real bad. :/ It seems rather difficult. But it could definitely help some of my problems...

DoomKitty
December 2nd, 2016, 05:21 PM
Half a centimetre off the length and my face framing layers reshaped every 12 weeks. If my hair was natural I could go up to 6 months without trims but I love my purple hair too much lol

see_turtle
December 2nd, 2016, 05:33 PM
I've gone 2 years before and sometimes as little as 6 weeks...I lust after a hemline that is not realistic for my hair...I'm now on a mission to surpass my previous length record of 37" I'm not trimming until I'm ~40" then I'll trim an inch So about a year from now as I'm 34.5 right now...I have virgin hair and never see many splits when I look... I don't look often.

Llama
December 2nd, 2016, 05:39 PM
Once a year, one inch
I also S&D whenever I am bored

turtlelover
December 2nd, 2016, 09:08 PM
Last year, about every 4 months. This year, I've been trimming probably closer to every 2 months as I was getting impatient to get rid of some layering. I can't stand my ends to be the least bit ragged, so I could never survive the no trim challenges. haha

spidermom
December 2nd, 2016, 09:39 PM
Not enough, obviously. My last schedule was about 1/2 inch every 3 months. In spite of the best care I was capable of, I ended up with thousands of split ends that traveled up at least as far as mid back length. I'm going to have to cut shorter to get rid of them.

Simsy
December 3rd, 2016, 02:34 AM
Aside from occasional S&D sessions (whenever I have a nice sunny day and time or whenever the ends start looking unbearably bad and time), I had a trim middle of last year. Before that, a year; maybe 2? I tend to forgot the hair needs trimming, or I don't need trims all that often; or I just have a really high tolerance for wonky ends.

lapushka
December 3rd, 2016, 03:43 AM
I have 0 clue how to cut my own hair, and would probably butcher it real bad. :/ It seems rather difficult. But it could definitely help some of my problems...

Try studying this. This is what most people here use, even for small dustings. If they can do it, you can too! :)
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

vampyyri
December 3rd, 2016, 08:33 AM
I love your hair

I have so say I am envious of your hair, it makes you want my natural color again (mine is very similar to the color you have) but I just adore your texture. Im a finey but I hope that one day my hair might look similar to yours... one day!

I trim monthly, myself, 1/4" or less on a full moon. (not that I believe in that stuff but its easier to set a schedule.)
However I think i am taking part in the no trims for 6 months/1 year. I have never tried it with healthy hair before, so I want to try it now.
Frequent trims are great, I never have splits and my hem stays thick as it grows, which is what I like. But I would love to hit my goal length before 2017 is over. So.

Oh shucks guys, thank you! :flowers:
& to think that I was considering henna... I think I'm just gonna leave it alone :lol:

Cg
December 3rd, 2016, 08:37 AM
Not enough, obviously. My last schedule was about 1/2 inch every 3 months. In spite of the best care I was capable of, I ended up with thousands of split ends that traveled up at least as far as mid back length. I'm going to have to cut shorter to get rid of them.

Yikes! Any idea why?

CurlyZ
December 3rd, 2016, 09:02 AM
Once a year an inch.
But a couple weeks ago I went for my 1" trim and got 4" taken off.
I am still frustrated and will start trimming myself.
I could already smell classic and now I am back to tailbone. :mad:

TatsuOni
December 3rd, 2016, 09:17 AM
I trim around one cm twice a year.

Alissalocks
December 3rd, 2016, 11:11 AM
I went for the no-trim until 2017 challenge, also so I could begin monitoring my growth rate for a few months and get an idea of what my hair is up tomexactly, but last week I freaked out and chopped off about .5" of racers for the first time all by myself, and am considering micro trimming every month of so just to deal with my ratchet ends. I thought I was ok w fairy tales but....mm maybe not.

I looooove vampyyri and schooloffish's hair. But my ends don't look like vampyyri's and I think I'd like a strong hemline like schooloffish's in the long run. Sigh!!! :p

Kat-Rinnč Naido
December 3rd, 2016, 11:11 AM
My last cut was at the end of May. I shall not trim except if my hair needs it.

Decoy24601
December 3rd, 2016, 01:30 PM
Sometimes I go a year or more without trimming, sometimes I trim multiple times a year. It depends on how my ends feel, how my hemline looks, and how lazy I am.

I recently went 2-3 years with only getting small trims once a year, which is how I accidentally grew from waist to TBL. Right now, I'm so close to having my face framing layers (which were badly overdone for years) and razor-thinned ends grown out that my hemline just looks plain *weird*, so I've been trimming every couple months.

hannabiss
December 3rd, 2016, 04:58 PM
I trim probably once or twice a year. But i plan not to trim 2017 so I can make it to waist.

gthlvrmx
December 3rd, 2016, 06:42 PM
I never trim. I just do S&D missions. My hair looks fine, but upon close inspection by my own eyes, I can find split ends and white dots and breakage. Although, maybe it's not as bad as I think it may be.

Zindell
December 3rd, 2016, 11:22 PM
I used to self-trim about every third or fourth month when I was growing out layers/bangs.

My hair finally got an even hemline in June 2016 and I haven't cut it since. It looks very healthy! My plan was to cut every sixth months, but now I think it'll be more like every 8th or 9th month or so. Or maybe even once a year ...

(Feye's, slightly V-shaped)

ExpectoPatronum
December 3rd, 2016, 11:31 PM
I get my hair trimmed and re-shaped a little about once a year. I get devacuts and my hair grows out a lot better with them. However, I used to color a lot and I should go a little more often for the sake of my ends. But, I can go a solid 7-8 months before my hair gets unmanageable.

lapushka
December 4th, 2016, 04:47 AM
I get my hair trimmed and re-shaped a little about once a year. I get devacuts and my hair grows out a lot better with them. However, I used to color a lot and I should go a little more often for the sake of my ends. But, I can go a solid 7-8 months before my hair gets unmanageable.

But do you get any growth at all from doing it that way? :) Is there a way to maintain it yourself instead of going for devacuts. Just a suggestion, for all I know you like the devacuts!

embee
December 4th, 2016, 05:57 AM
Never. :) I pretty much quit S&D too. I know there are a few splits, but I'm satisfied enough with how things are, not interested in spending the time - and probably beginning to worry about my hair.

catmashie
December 4th, 2016, 06:01 AM
I used to trim twice a year, maybe an inch or less. Now I'm going for no trims in 2017. Of course I'll trim my hair if it starts to look bad or really uneven.

school of fish
December 4th, 2016, 09:27 AM
I went for the no-trim until 2017 challenge, also so I could begin monitoring my growth rate for a few months and get an idea of what my hair is up tomexactly, but last week I freaked out and chopped off about .5" of racers for the first time all by myself, and am considering micro trimming every month of so just to deal with my ratchet ends. I thought I was ok w fairy tales but....mm maybe not.

I looooove vampyyri and schooloffish's hair. But my ends don't look like vampyyri's and I think I'd like a strong hemline like schooloffish's in the long run. Sigh!!! :p

Awww, thanks! :)

For the record, this hemline of mine which is still very much a work in progress started out well above hip with quite drastic thinning that ran from the ends to about SLish. The damage came from a number of sources but one of the key ones was attempting to grow without trimming - not a viable option on this hair of mine ;) By letting it go without trimming along the way I had unwittingly gone from blunt solid hip to severely thinned out waist+... one of the main things that has gotten me back to a solid hemline (along with a few other habit changes) has been the monthly microtrims. I was able to grow and thicken simultaneously by taking off average half of my monthly growth, steadily and consistently. Has taken a great deal of patience ;)

It's not for everyone of course, but trimming means better growth for me :) I'm now at TBL, which is my goal length, with remaining layers around MBL left to go before it's all back to one-length blunt. I'm still not finished the journey, but the difference even at this stage to back then is dramatic!!!

Lisa Long4Life
December 4th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Fringe/bangs every 4 weeks, the rest every 8 weeks.

Mrstran
December 4th, 2016, 09:51 AM
I don't plan to trim until either I have so many spits that S&D simply isn't enough. Or until my hair grows down to waist length. At that point I'm going to start trimming 1cm every 3-4 months to get rid of my bleached ends. That all depends on how well we'll my hair is though. If it's not in a horrible condition by then, I may just trim a cm every 5 months

JadeTigress
December 4th, 2016, 10:03 AM
I'm pretty varied with my trims, they're usually between 3 and 6+ months apart. Right now I'm trimming less often because I only have a couple inches until BSL and I desperately want out of the awful APL-BSL expanse. Once I hit BSL I'll probably start trimming more frequently so I can work towards getting rid of my many, many layers while I'm heading for waist length.

Lavendersugar
December 4th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Like full on trim, never. Microtrim of 1/4 inch, once a year.

Monsterkitti
December 5th, 2016, 05:23 AM
Usually twice a year about and inch depending on how much it needs off with some S&D's when I remember between.

lapushka
December 5th, 2016, 06:12 AM
I'm going to be no-trimming for 2017. I just recently (last week, so technically November) cut back to hip, from classic. And to maintain, my next trim would normally need to be the end of March (2 inches off). That's not going to happen. For growth, that trim needs to be May/June. But I'm not having that trim and growing on, I think. I have entered the challenge, so I'll have no choice. ;)

Dark40
December 7th, 2016, 07:26 PM
I trim every 6 months also.

Mainesongbird
December 10th, 2016, 08:07 PM
For me usually twice a year at 3 inches each, this year 3 times at 3 inches each, as I am seeing how I like it a tad shorter. My impending 3rd trim of 3 inches will take me to somewhere between bsl and mbl. Last year at this time I was below hip.

BeccaAngel
December 15th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Getting a trim on Saturday, it is much needed!

Forever
December 22nd, 2016, 05:22 AM
In 2016 I did 6 microtrimms.
In 2015 I did 1 big chop at the end of the year.
In 2014 I cut off length twice and changed the shape of my hemline to a V once.

samanthaa
December 22nd, 2016, 07:27 AM
In 2016 I trimmed only once, about 1.5", after 9 months without a trim. Nine months prior, in Sep. 2015, I'd probably taken off a good 2" or 3".

In 2017 I plan to do monthly (bimonthly?) dustings as part of a microtrimming regimen. I'm not planning any "big" trims (and by that I mean another whopping 1.5"), unless I decide to kick off the new year with one. Doubtful, though, as my hemline from my trim six months ago is still looking pretty good.

I bought a Creaclip somewhere in the middle of this no-trim June-Dec challenge and I'm excited to put it to work soon.

thunderseed
December 22nd, 2016, 09:08 AM
I've had a lot of success with growing out my hair by trimming my damaged ends myself maybe once a month, more or less, basically whenever I see split ends starting to form, I cut them off.
It's actually pretty fun doing it by myself and I save a lot of money not having to go to the salon to get it done, but also, when i do it more frequently I don't have to take off as much, but if I wait a long time to go to a salon, they end up taking off an inch or two, and I hate that because my hair never gets any longer that way.

Reyn127
December 22nd, 2016, 11:49 AM
normally I have been trimming about every 4-5 months, about an inch or so. I trimmed twice in the past year and cut off like 5 inches total though, so I'm going to try the no-trimming for 2017 challenge.

browneyedsusan
December 22nd, 2016, 08:00 PM
When it bugs me.

I trimmed about 1 1/2" around BSL.
Maintaining at hip length now, because the hemline is too thin for my liking. I'll probably start growing it again in the spring. :)

Saldana
December 22nd, 2016, 08:37 PM
I microtrim/dust every 3 months (Winter solstice, spring equinox, summer solstice, autumn equinox), and SD occasionally when I remember. :)

nekosan
December 22nd, 2016, 08:55 PM
When I feel like it? Somewhere between once every 6 months to once a decade, though more on the decade end.

AutobotsAttack
December 22nd, 2016, 11:47 PM
As bad as this might sound I actually haven't put scissors to my hair in over 4 years. lol

mira-chan
December 23rd, 2016, 08:30 AM
As I have time and feel like it? Mom trims it for me so no need to schedule something. I did chop off about 6 inches last month because of thinness. I'm trying to thicken up the ends.

Ligeia Noire
December 23rd, 2016, 07:07 PM
I think 3 times per year, sometimes more, sometimes less. My hair gets split ends very easily, so one needs to keep it healthy.

DweamGoiL
December 23rd, 2016, 09:44 PM
On average, once every other year.

Salwety
December 24th, 2016, 12:11 AM
In 2016 I cut my hair 5 times to get rid of the chemically straighten ed hair, and one microtrim just last month.
For the coming year, as I don't S&D, I plan to have a microtrim every couple of month with the full moon.

ravenreed
December 24th, 2016, 09:55 PM
I am currently trimming an inch off every six weeks or so. I started using Rogaine to deal with thinning hair and it has made my growth rate almost double. I am not trying to gain length, so... off it goes! As for the thinning, I am starting to see baby hairs pop up after about four months of usage, so I am hopeful that my issue will be resolved, or at least helped.

spirals
December 24th, 2016, 10:37 PM
I haven't paid attention but I'd guess 2 or 3 microtrims and one trim of an inch or an inch and a half. That's within a year.

Strands
December 24th, 2016, 10:57 PM
I was getting fairly dramatic trims of 3-6 inches yearly, plus abusing the crap out of my hair, so losing lots in damage as well. I was an abuser. Found LHC, and now I am S&D only and doing the no trim 2017 challenge, so there ya go. Trying hard to ignore the desire to go get a trim as we speak though...

:lala:

hanne jensen
December 25th, 2016, 09:24 AM
I dust 1/2 centimeter every 2 months or so.

spirals
December 25th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Trying hard to ignore the desire to go get a trim as we speak though...

:lala:Your ends don't look bad at all. You can definitely skip it. And your hair is so full; I bet people compliment you all the time.

Sulis
December 29th, 2016, 09:59 PM
I typically trim about every 4-6 months to keep the ends healthy

RavenRose
December 29th, 2016, 10:03 PM
I'm growing out bleached hair, and my hair is prone to splits/dots. I tend to trim 1/2" every 8-10 weeks with occasional S&D in-between.

Salwety
December 30th, 2016, 04:23 AM
Microtrimming and S&D can turn into an addiction. I wrote in an earlier post that I cut my hair a lot last year, and that I intend to just microtrim every 3 month or so. But being able to cut your hair yourself, and the feeling of fresh hair is so good that I doubt my ability to keep up with my plan.

emptyque
December 30th, 2016, 08:13 AM
I don't think I'm prone to splits and my hair grows out even. When I was growing out a pixie, I trimmed it every 4 months, but for hair below the shoulders I've just gotten it cut when I want a change. There have been at least two times when I when over a year without cutting.