PDA

View Full Version : I have the yogurt, I have the eggs, now what?

Lisa-K
December 2nd, 2016, 09:21 AM
Ok, I've seen a lot of people talk about applying yogurt and eggs on their hair (sometimes even mixed together). What is it supposed to do exactly? I have thin hair that's recently gone through a postpartum shed of doom, and I'm in need of some healthy recipes that will either boost growth or give some extra shine and body. Will yogurt and eggs help?

Do you simply slather it on under the shower and then proceed with your regular shampoo? Or do you use it like a conditioner *after* you've shampooed? Or do you leave it in as a pre-wash treatment for a longer period of time before rinsing it off?

Are there any potential negative effects I should be aware of?

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 09:53 AM
Eggs are too big of a molecule to penetrate to have protein benefits, but they are still not bad as a treatment on their own (nice & soft).

I'd not DIY it, TBH, but that's me. Not after a major shed like that.

With eggs, be sure to use cool water (otherwise they will cook on your head).

ChloeDharma
December 2nd, 2016, 09:55 AM
I've never really got into eggs because the one time I used them as a treatment my hair stank of rotten eggs for over a week afterwards despite shampooing and conditioning every day in desperation. That said the treatment did give me incredible shine like a pantene advert. Also you have to be very careful not to use hot water to wash it out or the egg can cook in your hair.

Yogurt on the other hand I LOVE! It worked wonders on my hair when it was chemically damaged. The only thing to watch out for is rinsing it out, one time I didn't quite rinse well enough just behind an ear and kept getting whiffs of what smelled like baby puke but this has never been a problem as long as I rinse properly.
A simple way to use yogurt is mix it with a conditioner and use as a DT after shampooing then just rinse it out. I also like it mixed with powdered fenugreek seeds but you have to wait 8 or more hours for those to be ready to use.

I hope you enjoy playing with recipes for your egg and yogurt DT's :-)

Eastbound&Down
December 2nd, 2016, 09:59 AM
Ok, I've seen a lot of people talk about applying yogurt and eggs on their hair (sometimes even mixed together). What is it supposed to do exactly? I have thin hair that's recently gone through a postpartum shed of doom, and I'm in need of some healthy recipes that will either boost growth or give some extra shine and body. Will yogurt and eggs help?

Do you simply slather it on under the shower and then proceed with your regular shampoo? Or do you use it like a conditioner *after* you've shampooed? Or do you leave it in as a pre-wash treatment for a longer period of time before rinsing it off?

Are there any potential negative effects I should be aware of?

I've never personally tried these, I stick to oils and conditioners, however I would do both as a pretreatment if I were going to go them. Especially the yogurt. Be careful of protein overload if your hair is pretty porous, but other than that I can't see anything wrong with either, they are both natural products.

Maybe check-in with the deep treatment thread, I think some people in there have done those in the past.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=127171

sumidha
December 2nd, 2016, 10:11 AM
Now make pancakes! :D

I personally would not put either of those things in my hair, eggs especially. The one time I tried eggs it took a ton of rinsing to get all the weird fibery egg particles out of my hair, and showed no particular benefit.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 10:15 AM

I personally would not put either of those things in my hair, eggs especially. The one time I tried eggs it took a ton of rinsing to get all the weird fibery egg particles out of my hair, and showed no particular benefit.

Yep, maybe if you are dead set on it, do the yolks only.

littlestarface
December 2nd, 2016, 10:27 AM

Lol I was gonna tell her to fry the eggs and have some yogurt on the side.

Hairkay
December 2nd, 2016, 11:25 AM
Lol I was gonna tell her to fry the eggs and have some yogurt on the side.

Ooh yes, spicey eggs with a dollop of yogurt.

I do sometimes use yogurt on my hair but never eggs.

JohannaDutch
December 2nd, 2016, 01:32 PM
Eggs did nothing for me. I've never tried yoghurt... but I have tried mayonaise. And that worked perfect, got really soft shiny hair. Note : rinse out well, the sent of mayonaise aint that great XD

Lisa-K
December 2nd, 2016, 01:42 PM
Haha! Thanks for your answers. There were some funny ones in between lol

Okay, I think I'll pass on the eggs for now. I'll give yogurt a try. Maybe mixed with some oil, or some conditioner. I don't know yet.

LadyCelestina
December 2nd, 2016, 01:46 PM
Yogurt stinks on my hair until the next wash, no matter how well I rinse. Eggs are ok but they tend to drip.

Chromis
December 2nd, 2016, 02:47 PM

I was going to say French toast stuffed with yogourt cheese, maybe drizzled with a little honey (since that is another popular LCH hairfood item haha).

I have put yogourt in my henna before, but I didn't really see a difference, so I prefer just to eat it. I have had great luck with some of the herbal rinses though, like catnip, horsetail, and rosemary, esp if I turn them into an herbal vinegar first.