PDA

View Full Version : Good dryer

SusanNKI
December 2nd, 2016, 08:43 AM
Hi, girls! It's my first post) So, I have a question! Which blow dryer could you suggest me? Many people recommend the completely different models, and I can't do my choice.:shrug: I had Bosch

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Blow+Dryers&_sacat=0
http://cloodjo.com/best-blow-dryers-on-the-market-top-10-reviews

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 08:46 AM
Just get one, it doesn't matter which one, honestly, but that has separate speed and separate heat settings, and preferably a cool shot, and diffuser head (that will come in handy if you're wavy/curly). I have no clue, this is your first post. LOL!

kinnyuu
December 2nd, 2016, 09:16 AM
I like any of them that say "ion" for some reason it dries quicker

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 09:54 AM
I like any of them that say "ion" for some reason it dries quicker

I have an ion switch on mine too, but I don't notice anything different when I flip or don't flip the switch. I keep it on, because... IDK, you never know. ;)

Saldana
December 2nd, 2016, 10:07 AM
Not knowing your hair type, it's hard to say. Personally, I think most blow dryers are essentially the same, and many people here (including me) rarely if ever use any heat on their hair. I'd say if you're intent on using a blow dryer, more important than a particular brand would be to use the lowest heat available, don't blow too close or too long, and use a diffuser if you're a wurly/curly (I think I've read that somewhere).

Also, as a gentle note: Not everybody here is a 'girl' - we have many community members who are male, and also many members who are far away from 'girlhood'. (an example being myself - it's been about 30 or so years since I've been part of the 'girl' cadre.)

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 10:13 AM
Don't be afraid of a blow dryer; it is all in how you use it!

If you can hold your hand in the airstream (for a long time, as some heat up) without it burning, then you're good to go! :) HTH!

Anje
December 2nd, 2016, 11:31 AM
I got one with separate speed and heat settings, which would allow me to do high-speed no-heat without holding down a button. That was useful, because holding the button is a pain. It's ceramic and ionic, supposedly, though I'm not certain those made all that much difference. (I'm pretty sure ceramic is about it getting really hot anyway, which isn't my goal when I'm drying my hair.)

It had scary reviews on amazon, but since I'm not hanging the thing by its cord, I'm not terribly worried. Literally my only complaint is that all the labels came off when I handled it with oily hands. http://a.co/hhjMoWt

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 11:47 AM
I got one with separate speed and heat settings, which would allow me to do high-speed no-heat without holding down a button. That was useful, because holding the button is a pain. It's ceramic and ionic, supposedly, though I'm not certain those made all that much difference. (I'm pretty sure ceramic is about it getting really hot anyway, which isn't my goal when I'm drying my hair.)

It had scary reviews on amazon, but since I'm not hanging the thing by its cord, I'm not terribly worried. Literally my only complaint is that all the labels came off when I handled it with oily hands. http://a.co/hhjMoWt

I know what you mean. I got one like that by accident, and just noticed how in fact useful separate settings are! I think these days, apart from travel sizes, most blow dryers come like that. I could be wrong, though...

renia22
December 2nd, 2016, 12:25 PM
I also like the ones with multiple heat/ speed settings, and also a lower wattage. I'm in the US, and my current one (Rusk W8less) has 1600 watts, some of the more powerful ones were too much for my fine hair. Maybe thicker hair types can handle the higher wattages. The one thing that annoys me about the one I have now is it doesn't have a hook, so I have to twist the cord exactly so to get it so it doesn't fall. A minor annoyance, but next time I'm getting one I can hang up on a hook.

Llama
December 2nd, 2016, 04:24 PM
I know what you mean. I got one like that by accident, and just noticed how in fact useful separate settings are! I think these days, apart from travel sizes, most blow dryers come like that. I could be wrong, though...

I had to reaaallly search for a blow dryer that had an actual "cool" setting and not just the button. For how long it takes to blow dry my hair, especially on cool, my finger would die of pain from holding down on the button the whole time. Lol

The one I have has cool/warm/hot settings, I thought I would use the cool option the most but the warm is my favorite. I use the Hot Tools Platinum Rose dryer and got it for like 10 dollars at Ulta because it was being discontinued so I don't think you can buy it anymore. Which sucks because it is the best blow dryer I've ever had and won't know which one to get if it ever breaks

mizukitty
December 2nd, 2016, 05:05 PM
The main difference between models are the watts. I believe the standard now is 1875, and it's a good speed for all hair types. The fancy and expensive ones use something like 2000 watts which is more power, which will dry faster. In terms of options, get one with cool, medium, and hot. This option is extremely useful as well as two or three speed settings. Ion is supposed to release negatively charged ions to reduce frizz in hair, but these don't do anything different for me. I find that the less the hair moves when it's being dried, the less frizz you get. Sometimes I make my boyfriend dry my hair as it's spread out all over my bed, and it always looks VERY smooth as opposed to when I just throw it around and blow it from like 1 foot away.

TL;DR - don't fall for marketing tactics and stick to hard specs - watts, switches for temp and speed. Happy shopping and welcome to LHC!

Kirby-oh
December 2nd, 2016, 08:26 PM
marketing claims about ion dryers are total bunk, see http://www.brightestbulbinthebox.com/2013/10/beauty-********-ionic-hairdryers.html

Watts, switches for temp and speed are what is important.

Edit: Oops, this website trips the language filter for the forum! you'll have to substitute a certain phrase that beings with "b" and is synonymous with "nonsense" into the link when you click it instead of the stars

Mod edit: Here, have a link that won't get stuck in the profanity filter: http://tinyurl.com/hxaetna (Link goes to article with swearwords in it.)

lapushka
December 3rd, 2016, 04:01 AM
I had to reaaallly search for a blow dryer that had an actual "cool" setting and not just the button. For how long it takes to blow dry my hair, especially on cool, my finger would die of pain from holding down on the button the whole time. Lol

The one I have has cool/warm/hot settings, I thought I would use the cool option the most but the warm is my favorite. I use the Hot Tools Platinum Rose dryer and got it for like 10 dollars at Ulta because it was being discontinued so I don't think you can buy it anymore. Which sucks because it is the best blow dryer I've ever had and won't know which one to get if it ever breaks

Yep, I don't diffuse on cool either, just the warm setting, one up from cool, and that seems to be warm enough to still dry but not so hot that you would hurt/burn your skin when holding it in the airstream. I have a Braun satin ion, this is my one:
http://eleven.se/files/c/c1900ionic_500x500.jpg

The speed settings are on the other side. :)

SusanNKI
December 4th, 2016, 01:44 AM
Girls and boys, thank you very much for your answers:o

betterhairday
December 6th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Girls and boys, thank you very much for your answers:o

I think mine ticks all the boxes and rather than repeating it here I am linking it so you can look and make up your mind in your own time: http://www.karminhairtools.com/karmin-salon-series-ultralight-professional-ionic-hair-dryer.html
I hope this is allowed, if not I apologise and expect moderator to remove.